Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1970s (Results), 1950 (Jun 24th), Japan (Jun 30th), Essential Cinema (Jun 30th)
Challenges: Italy, Queer Cinema, Film From Each Year
Film of the Week: Roar, July nominations (Jun 25th)

iCM Forum's Favorite Coming of Age Movies; Results

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Teproc wrote: May 7th, 2021, 6:35 am Eighth Grade makes no sense on a Coming of Age poll? It seems you have a profound inability to comprehend that people's opposing viewpoints may be just as rational as yours, and quick to dismiss them as "crazy". It seems like a pretty obvious inclusion to me, recency aside, and the hypothetical mainstream cinephlie (so, average ICM user as opposed to average ICMF user in this instance) would probably see it as fully within the category I expect. Akira is also completely about adolescence and coming of age, I'm not even sure why that's a discussion... and while I didn't include Come and See, I can certainly see why people did, and don't feel the need to dismiss it out of hand as disqualifying, but that seems to be your favorite hobby, so have fun I guess, though you always take care to wrap it into some "but what if some rando comes into this" rationale, and you obviously have a much better understanding of random cinephiles than us "crazy" people, evidently.
Lmao Eighth Grade is like the exact definition of a coming-of-age film, and a really, really fucking good one.

I voted for Akira and Come and See. :banana:
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

re:
kongs_speech wrote: May 7th, 2021, 2:41 pm
Teproc wrote: May 7th, 2021, 6:35 am Eighth Grade makes no sense on a Coming of Age poll? It seems you have a profound inability to comprehend that people's opposing viewpoints may be just as rational as yours, and quick to dismiss them as "crazy". (...)
Lmao Eighth Grade is like the exact definition of a coming-of-age film, and a really, really fucking good one.
Torgo wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 12:33 am
Lonewolf2003 wrote: May 1st, 2021, 11:31 pm
Spoiler
#72 The Edge of Seventeen (2016, Kelly Fremon Craig) 276.35 points
2970 checks, official lists: 0 :imdb:
6 voters
Caracortada (#6)
Gordon_Gekko (#69)
Ivan0716 (#48)
Panunzio (#88)
sol (#16)
zzzorf (#132)
One of the most prototypical CoA movies of the last few years (alongside Eighth Grade, Lady Bird, Mid90s). Like, if this one didn't count, I wouldn't know what possibly could.

:huh:
The discussions here sometimes ..
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Nobody said differently :shrug:
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Then I can't follow your train of thought.
Onderhond wrote: May 7th, 2021, 6:24 am If you see what people watch here, ending up with Eight Grade and Akira in a Coming of Age list simply makes no sense on an emotional level.
Onderhond wrote: May 7th, 2021, 6:53 am Yes, Eight Grade fully falls in the expected boundaries of the genre, but on a forum where people watch the craziest things from countries most people don't even realize films are being made, it's a very banal entry.

You just were expecting crazier results (or were you, really?)? And less individual people should have voted for something like Eighth Grade because it's too banal of a Coming of Age example, but the borderline cases are even more unreasonable?
Maybe if you put together many kinds of average ICM cinephiles (with a few weird choices here and there), the obvious cases are what will come out on top? :think:

kongs_speech wrote: May 7th, 2021, 2:41 pm I voted for Akira and Come and See. :banana:
Yeah I wouldn't have done that, probably my take on the theme would be more puristic. When I made lists for my favorite horror films, for example, I always ranked them in how much they served me in their function of a horror film, so I wouldn't end up with - for a few wild examples - Requiem for a Dream, Threads and Paranorman and, hehe, Idi i Smotri as my top favorite horror films, no matter how I much I love them as, um, films in general (you get the idea).
In that way, Idi i Smotri is to 90% a war movie to me, on a secondary level a harrowing, depressing drama and to a few percents a film about growing up in such horrific circumstances, but just too peripheral to consider it for a poll like this between the banal usual suspects.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Torgo wrote: May 7th, 2021, 5:39 pm You just were expecting crazier results
Not crazier, just less obvious ones. If you come to a forum like this one, where people are watching films like mad, from as many countries as possible, there are certain expectations that follow from that. To then see for example a Top 100 horror with The Belko Experiment in it would be surprising. Even more so if it sat next to three other random Blumhouse releases.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

I think those are difficult expectations for favorite polls in general to begin with and even more so when the theme is quite narrow like Coming of Age already is - we can't hardly agree on what is suitable, so of course the absolute clear cases win the day.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

I don't disagree with that. But that's a very rational explanations that doesn't necessarily gels with emotional expectations. I've been here for almost 10 years and I still have to remind myself every time I see new poll results, so I can imagine how it is for newer members. Especially when it's about topics that lie close to someone's heart.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Hot take: Most new members will rather have the mentality of the majority of us than be akin to your film taste and list philosophy.
(u)