Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2021 Edition : Results topic

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
zomgmouse

Post by zomgmouse »

so many 5/5 or 4.5/5 films stuck so low... definitely gotta rank at least those next time so they can go higher!
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Weird that I have two mentions in "Ain't Nobody Blues, But My Own", especially since I expected both movies to be liked by more people.

I'll try to work on this list a bit next year, especially starting in june, because I have already a list of 54 movies i want to watch before end of may (which roughly translates into one movie each day, slightly DtC, anime/animation, Coming of age, Kar-Wai Wong and just some "shame on you you haven't seen this" related), and I already have some movies I want to watch after that, but I probably start watching again a bit more random than (it's just more of an outline).
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Lakigigar wrote: April 13th, 2021, 9:05 am Weird that I have two mentions in "Ain't Nobody Blues, But My Own", especially since I expected both movies to be liked by more people.
Don't think many people here know who Fien Troch is. Mélanie Laurent maybe, but the combination of it being relatively recent, not American and not being a critics darling means chances are very slim it'll be picked up.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I don't seem to any any mentions in the blues section, good to know that my blues is not only my own.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

St. Gloede wrote: April 13th, 2021, 9:42 am I don't seem to any any mentions in the blues section, good to know that my blues is not only my own.
Want to share some of mine, I've got spares :P
Last edited by Onderhond on April 13th, 2021, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Onderhond wrote: April 13th, 2021, 9:45 am
St. Gloede wrote: April 13th, 2021, 9:42 am I don't seem to any any mentions in the blues section, good to know that my blues is not only my own.
Want to share some of mine, I've got spares :P
Any thoughts about the Japanese director, Takuma Sato? Just came across a recommendation for a recent one with the English title, Any Crybabies Around. Any thoughts?
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

cinewest wrote: April 13th, 2021, 10:08 am Any thoughts about the Japanese director, Takuma Sato? Just came across a recommendation for a recent one with the English title, Any Crybabies Around. Any thoughts?
Nothing concrete, just prejudice so far. I've seen the title float around and I know Sato is a Koreeda protégé, which makes him immediately less interesting to me. Not that I dislike Koreeda, but I think his style of drama is becoming a big complacent, especially when executed by lesser directors, so it's not something I would jump at right away. It at least explains why critics are taking notice.

It's probably not a bad film though, would probably end up in the 3.0*-3.5* range for me, it's just that I'd rather prioritize films that have a slightly higher chance of surprising me. If it ends up topping some best of lists I'll probably end up watching it, if not it's one of the many (many!) Japanese dramas I will give a pass.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Lakigigar wrote: April 13th, 2021, 9:05 am Weird that I have two mentions in "Ain't Nobody Blues, But My Own", especially since I expected both movies to be liked by more people.

I'll try to work on this list a bit next year, especially starting in june, because I have already a list of 54 movies i want to watch before end of may (which roughly translates into one movie each day, slightly DtC, anime/animation, Coming of age, Kar-Wai Wong and just some "shame on you you haven't seen this" related), and I already have some movies I want to watch after that, but I probably start watching again a bit more random than (it's just more of an outline).
For Respire it’s indeed surpassing you’re the only voter. Since it’s #28 in iCM Forum's Top 250 Highest Rated French Films and did quite well in some other polls too. Haven’t seen it tho.

Home I have seen, liked it but not enough to include it in my all time fav list.
tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq »

My personal list The Ultimate Canon, which is comprised of all the Winners and Runners from our Favorite Film Poll since its inception, has been updated now.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

I'm gonna bump this to post my stats because why not. :D

1-1001:
903/1001
Highest unseen: #168 Dekalog (572 min), #196 Shoah (566 min), #210 Marketa Lazarová (162 min), #252 A Brighter Summer Day (237 min) .. I wonder just what could be the reason?!
Highest favorites: #1 2001, #4 Samurai, #5 Vertigo and finally #6 Pulp Fiction & #9 Stalker for true personal favs
Highest dislikes: #43 Barry Lyndon is really the only film in the Top 100 I don't have a high opinion of :satstunned:

Rating breakdown:
17x 10/10
115x 9/10
398x 8/10
300x 7/10
55x 6/10
7x 5/10
2x 4/10

To give a little context for that: 17 of the 19 IMDb 10/10 votes I have altogether and 115 of my 140 9/10s made it into the poll, I agree with A LOT of it. :hug:
Worst-rated features for me are Zorns Lemma (well) & Jeanne Dielman (weelll), then there are La nuit américaine, Celine et Julie, Madame de... and Sud Pralad which didn't quite hit me. But even a good share of my 6/10s here I can respect, so, yeah, nice choices!

1002-2000 (2002?):
607/1000
Highest unseen, favorites & dislikes don't really matter here, but I have another 20 ratings of 9/10 and even 1x 10/10 among those. The amount of 8/10 drops considerably faster than for the first 1000.
My worst ratings go to Wavelength :ph43r: , Cosmopolis, Prenom Carmen and .. Zorns Lemma, again?! (Something looks messed up about the IMDb lists!) More 5/10 for me too (although I have completed a lesser percentage), such as Matrix Reloaded, Moulin Rouge, Grease, Volver, Devil's Rejects and some Ivory Merchant films .. good not to see them all in the general list. Again, double as many 6/10, despite only 600 and not 900 checks in the second half.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

mightysparks wrote: April 11th, 2021, 12:27 pm
Tim2460 wrote: April 11th, 2021, 10:51 am
mightysparks wrote: April 11th, 2021, 10:38 am

Crinderman was his old name
Mighty will you take a look at the excel Sheet to fill the gaps with the nick changes you're aware of ?
intothewild = AdamH
ArthurYanthar = Pretentious Hipster = XxXApathy420XxX = Ettinauer226XL
Crinderman = St. Gloede
Carmel98 = Carmel1379
bobbybrown = monk-time

Typos (some are fixed in the 'total' column but might be good to fix up all the columns for next time):
'Wonderful' = Wonderful Rainbow
'Pretentious' = Pretentious Hipster
'Mr' = Mr Hulot
'Marta' = Marta Brito
'The' = The MadcapLaughs
'Lilarc0r' = Lilarcor
'Mysterious' = Mysterious Dude
'St.' = St. Gloede
'Dude' = DudeLanez
'Darth' = Darth Nevets
'Bob' = Bob Brooker
'Cynical' = Cynical Cinephile
'Jay' = Jay Mars
'John' = John Milton
'Nathan' = Nathan Treadway

'Film' voted in 2018 ???

Apologies if I made a mistake or forgot a name change.
Typos:
Bobby (in 2012)=Bobby Peru (bobbybrown also voted but different user)
Film (2018) = Film Junkie (typo)
George (2012) = George Bailey (typo)
India = India Istanbul (typo)
Ingrid = Ingrid Bergman (typo)
Jimi = Jimi Antiloop (typo)
Local Hero = Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi (typo)
Magenta = Magenta Bob (typo)
Perception = Perception de Ambiguity (typo)
Raf = Raf Dalbigori (typo)

Namechanges (current names in bold)
CMT = Chris M Turton (namechange)
Gonzalito199 = PGonzalez (namechange)
Ivan0716 = Ivn0716 (namechange)
jeroeno = Jerome St-Jacques (namechange + typo) also = moviefreak
Lilarc0r/Lilarcor was a namechange
lisa- = lisagirl (namechange)
ARUCARD = NoodlesPupkin (namechange)
Nathan Treadway = treadwaynathan (namechange)
takk71 = tirefeet (namechange)
marioula05 = mariell (namechange)
te18 = tomelce(namechange)

If you upload an updated version, I'll check it again.
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Wonderful Rainbow wrote: April 12th, 2021, 10:20 am
Dolwphin wrote: April 12th, 2021, 10:03 am He is clearly a green film-maker.
He sure makes you ask questions like "what made people think they can destroy this beautiful, serene landscape by introducing these railroads tracks", or in case of 11x14 "oh my, that giant chimney won't ever stop, will it"
Benning does have a predilection for focusing on environmental destruction. It is a clearly recognizable motif. It something that could benefit from closer analysis. Nature is an important subject matter which is clearly present in Bennings work. That is true even in an autobiographical sense which is highlighted by Stemple Pass. Sometimes this element is overtly political, as in The California Trilogy where he examines labor/social relations. One should probably also note the concluding static 1h long shot of Ruhr. More exciting interpreations aside, about political violence, it is clearly centering environmental destruction. :ph43r:
Top 100 | Top 250

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

sol wrote: April 9th, 2021, 4:10 pm
Coryn wrote: April 9th, 2021, 11:12 am
Tim2460 wrote: April 9th, 2021, 11:03 am Directed by: Michael Snow
(251 Pts, 9 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–0
History: 152512381113110114381213126945021640←NA
ICheckMovies: 1559 Checks , 68 Favourites , 9 Official lists
Plot: One of the most unconventional and experimental films ever made, Wavelength is a structural film of a 45-minute long zoom in on a window over a period of a week.
List of Voters:
Dolwphin (NA)
perceval (173)
Ebbywebby (NA)
viktor-vaudevillain (NA)
OldAle1 (NA)
insomnius (NA)
Obgeoff (674)
sol (736)
jeff_v (819)
Educate me, why should anyone watch this instead of going for a walk for 45 miutes?
That plot summary doesn't really do justice to Wavelength. The key to the film is the fact that it is NOT a 45-minute single zoom, but rather a film that has been cleverly edited to give the appearance a single, unbroken zoom. I'm not quite sure whether the notion of "a week" comes from either, since one of the best aspects of the film is how Snow manages to blur all sense of time. The plot as such focuses around a murder that goes unnoticed in a building for an unspecified amount of time, and the film is every bit about the ambiguity of that and the fact that the person is dead, whether he is discover a few minutes, hours, days or weeks later does not change that fact. Snow also manipulates the footage quite a lot from a visual perspective to toy with the suspense/mystery that we expect in the average murder thriller. I actually don't think that Wavelength is among Snow's best films, but I still find it incredibly dynamic as a film that toys with us with viewers. Seen it a couple of times now and I would be keen to see it a third time later down the track.
I found this definition for dynamic : characterized by constant change, activity, or progress.
I definitely did not find that aspect in this film, and didn't expect the word dynamic to describe it, really. I don't quite agree with that, as I found the film to be slow and demanding in attention, but thanks for your explanation, it gives me perspective, at least.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

cinephage wrote: May 5th, 2021, 10:43 am I found this definition for dynamic : characterized by constant change, activity, or progress.
I definitely did not find that aspect in this film, and didn't expect the word dynamic to describe it, really. I don't quite agree with that, as I found the film to be slow and demanding in attention, but thanks for your explanation, it gives me perspective, at least.
It's interesting to hear you say that since the way that Snow keeps altering the footage, flipping between colours and so forth, is the very definition of "constant change" to me. In any case, I would agree that the film is demanding if you want to get something out of it, but that's much of what I like about it: Snow forcing us to pay attention to notice every simple, subtle manipulation of the footage with all of his disguised edits along the way. Not a film for all tastes -- and not nearly Snow's best work -- but a film I love all the same.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image