Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1970s (Results), 1950 (Jun 24th), Japan (Jun 30th), Essential Cinema (Jun 30th)
Challenges: Italy, Queer Cinema, Film From Each Year
Film of the Week: Roar, July nominations (Jun 25th)

iCM Forum's Favourite Directorial Debut Features; Results

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Leopardi wrote: March 24th, 2021, 7:00 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 8:37 pm
Fergenaprido wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 7:35 pm Thanks for hosting Lonewolf!

Even after doing all of the research, seeing some of these films listed as debuts still comes as a surprise to me. Very surprised but happy that The Return made the Top Ten.

I was putting it off, but maybe I'll watch Hiroshima mon amour before the forum favourites poll this week after all, if it's that good.
THANK YOU Fergenaprido! :worship: :worship: Without all your fabulous exhaustive research this poll would have been way more difficult to do for both me as well as many participants.
Thanks to both of you for such a great job! I'm ashamed to admit I didn't participate (a lot going on these days), and I really regret not doing so, this was a lot of fun. I'm not sure if it would work at all but, in the same vein, have we considered doing a final feature film list? I can't imagine it would be as interesting, you'd only be able to include directors who are dead or retired, but still, I'd be curious what such a list would look like. I might have missed it, maybe such a list possibility has already been discussed?
No as far as I know it never been considered.

Seems like a less interesting subject to me tho, cause contrary to a first film a final film is much less often intentional.
Leopardi
Donator

Post by Leopardi »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: March 24th, 2021, 9:08 pm
Leopardi wrote: March 24th, 2021, 7:00 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 8:37 pm
THANK YOU Fergenaprido! :worship: :worship: Without all your fabulous exhaustive research this poll would have been way more difficult to do for both me as well as many participants.
Thanks to both of you for such a great job! I'm ashamed to admit I didn't participate (a lot going on these days), and I really regret not doing so, this was a lot of fun. I'm not sure if it would work at all but, in the same vein, have we considered doing a final feature film list? I can't imagine it would be as interesting, you'd only be able to include directors who are dead or retired, but still, I'd be curious what such a list would look like. I might have missed it, maybe such a list possibility has already been discussed?
No as far as I know it never been considered.

Seems like a less interesting subject to me tho, cause contrary to a first film a final film is much less often intentional.
Yep, I agree, such a list might be interesting (or not, for the reason you mention), but probably not worth the time and effort to assemble it.
zomgmouse

Post by zomgmouse »

Onderhond wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 4:36 pm I probably didn't count Eraserhead since I kept to a 30-minute minimum for features. Otherwise he would've had my vote too. Looking at the point diff between 3 & 4, it wouldn't have made a big impact anyway.
But Eraserhead is 89 minutes...?
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

zomgmouse wrote: March 30th, 2021, 10:52 pm
Onderhond wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 4:36 pm I probably didn't count Eraserhead since I kept to a 30-minute minimum for features. Otherwise he would've had my vote too. Looking at the point diff between 3 & 4, it wouldn't have made a big impact anyway.
But Eraserhead is 89 minutes...?
He meant it the other way round: Due to Onderhond's 30-minute minimum for features - instead of the 40 or 45 minutes we or others propose - to him not Eraserhead would be David Lynch's "debut feature", but The Grandmother (1970) :)

What a way to waste a vote, if you ask me!
:P
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Torgo wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 4:35 am Hm .. am I mistaken that St. Gloede has interest in the Nouvelle Vague and might get at least a little out of JLG? :unsure:
Ha, well, Breathless is a great film, certainly, but I did not include every great debut on my list. (It is also one of JLG's weakest).
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Thanks for hosting, Lonewolf! Great work.

Some really extreme point jumps at the end there. I suppose 12 Angry Men and Citizen Kane were to be expected on the top, and the top 10 in general feels relatively standard - though after 11/12 it starts to go in a far more varied and unexpected direction.

Seen 267/300
Highest unseen: #86 Hereditary
Highest favorite: #1 (Everything is great down to Get Out, top 6 are all favourites)
Highest dislike: #173 Fright Night (5 dislikes in total)
Position of my #1: #3 Hiroshima mon amour
My highest ranked film not to make the list: My #12, Rien que les heures / Nothing But Time (1926)