Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2021 Edition Nominations topic (Closed, Processing Results)

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

No no...my list is NOT ranked. It's just ordered by LENGTH. :)
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Ok :

Carmel needs to setup his list as Public
I'm wating for Fergenaprido CSV
Correcting OP as Likigigar posted his link twice
I'm waiting for the favorites extract from Joachimt

edit : Ebby Unranked ,)
viktor-vaudevillain

Post by viktor-vaudevillain »

Hope I will make it! And sorry for the delay.

Here's my list:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls000052097/

It's unranked.
not everything is fish, but fish are teeming everywhere
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I've started a spreadsheet with submissions to do a full check on the OP. Collected links and info for the first three pages. But now it's pick-up-daughter-from-school-time and then I'll have some meetings from work. Maybe in between, otherwise in a few hours........
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Work meeting is the ideal time to watch movies...

hmmm no

checking the voting posts ,)

Added viktor-vaudevillain to the list / OP

I have 77 lists ready to process, missing :
fergenaprido csv,
Carmel list
and the 11 favorite extract only an mod can grab for me
Last edited by Tim2460 on March 29th, 2021, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

viktor-vaudevillain wrote: March 29th, 2021, 10:22 am Hope I will make it! And sorry for the delay.

Here's my list:

It's unranked.
Zerkalo on first place : you're in !!

Wait ... unranked (u)

You're in anyway :party:
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Tim2460 wrote: March 29th, 2021, 12:40 pm Work meeting is the ideal time to watch movies...
Not in my work. When I work, I work, period.
ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Jimi Antiloop wrote: March 11th, 2021, 12:43 pm https://www.imdb.com/list/ls062870114/ ranked

with groupranks
#312 to #491
#532 to #595
#663 to #909
This one is unclear to me. What about #492-#531, #596-#662?
And do you mean 1-311 are ranked?
ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

@Tim

We both counted 90 participants. You didn't miss anyone.

You have different links for these two compare to my collection:
Chilton: You can drop "&sort=checkdate", but simply list this: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/fav ... er=Chilton
DudeLanez: You've got https://www.imdb.com/list/ls036345692, but my list has / at the end of the link.
So links are good to go. No mistakes there. :)

Checking ranked and such now......
ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

RolandKirkSunglasses
No need to list this as "Ranked 50", because the list has only 50 titles. Simply put it as "Ranked".
ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

kongs_speech
He was a bit unclear in his posts with lots of words about the ranking, but I figured out he wanted only his #1 to be ranked and the rest unranked. You've got it as fully ranked, Tim.

Kong, can you confirm?
ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

NM
ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Smoover
You haven't noted his first 39 to be ranked. Smoover made an update about that. First 39 are ranked. Then the groups as mentioned in the OP.
ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Same about Melvelet, first 60 are ranked, but you probably mean the same thing.
ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

That's it.

I hope Jimi can explain and Kong can confirm.
I wouldn't wait for Carmel, if I were you. First he posted a troll list. Then he posted something honest, which was public at that moment. I specifically remember looking at it. Then he made it private. If you're ready to go, try one more time, and otherwise it's 89 participants instead of 90.

I'll download those icm-favs now.
ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

ICM-profile
tobias

Post by tobias »

Tim2460 wrote: March 29th, 2021, 7:34 am
tobias wrote: March 28th, 2021, 9:42 pm Sent a PM with IMDB urls. Hope it's okay like that.

Thanks to mjf for the script.

Edit: List is ranked.
Tobias created your list @

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/tobias+fav/tim2460/
Thank you man, hope it wasn't more hazzle for you this way

:cheers:
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

I must be the first person to actually create a new list and then forget to post it in time. :(

Here it was for those curious. The first 100 were ranked. I put off posting it because I planned to rank more of it, up to 200 or 250 or so, then missed the deadline.

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

outdoorcats wrote: March 29th, 2021, 5:55 pm I must be the first person to actually create a new list and then forget to post it in time. :(

Here it was for those curious. The first 100 were ranked. I put off posting it because I planned to rank more of it, up to 200 or 250 or so, then missed the deadline.
Bummer. Your list is one of the most in-synch with mine - and you'd have maybe helped Lav Diaz' Filipino Family show up (OK maybe not, probably still not many who've seen it and would vote for it, but still).

On a side note: are there a lot of people out there who re-create their whole lists from scratch every year? Not talking about outdoorcats specifically, but I get the sense that for a lot of people this is a massive project every year which I find strange. I just do a few changes every year to the same list I've had on IMDb since 2012; admittedly it is a hassle since they eliminated drag-and-drop but it's still just a few hours, one day a year. If you've seen thousands of films and have been seriously into the hobby for years, how much does your favorites list change from one year to the next?
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

I'm sure Lav Diaz will get some representation on the final list. He has a few fans here, no?

I don't rebuild my list every time, but this year felt like a good time for a rebuild I guess. I had also decided to significantly expand it, since in the past I've only submitted lists 100-200 films long (my 10s and nothing else), but this year decided to expand it to most of my 9/10s, which ended up around 500. This should be a good template to work off easily for future years, anyway.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

outdoorcats wrote: March 29th, 2021, 5:55 pm I must be the first person to actually create a new list and then forget to post it in time. :(

I think Tim can still squeeze it in, because he hasn't started calculating yet.
But specify how many on your list are ranked.
ICM-profile
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

outdoorcats wrote: March 29th, 2021, 6:14 pm I'm sure Lav Diaz will get some representation on the final list. He has a few fans here, no?

I don't rebuild my list every time, but this year felt like a good time for a rebuild I guess. I had also decided to significantly expand it, since in the past I've only submitted lists 100-200 films long (my 10s and nothing else), but this year decided to expand it to most of my 9/10s, which ended up around 500. This should be a good template to work off easily for future years, anyway.
Makes sense. I find it as interesting to think about and discuss how we each think about and create our lists as seeing the lists themselves - well, seeing the final poll list anyway, since it doesn't change all that much at the top and is mostly full of very familiar choices. Thinking about it more I realized that my IMDb list actually started as an excel file probably almost 20 years ago, so I have just kept adding to it. And the main impetus for me to finally rank a top 100 (I think I just had a top 50 before) and expand the whole list was really the re-invigoration of my love for film over the fall/winter 2016-7 period, and IMDb killing the forums. Don't remember if you were posting on FG at that moment or not but I posted my top 100 there just a week or so before the forums died. And I've kept on updating it with a little more frequency and attention than I ever did in the years before then - just makes it easier. I'd also like to do a real re-vamp, in my case it would mean re-seeing a lot of films that I haven't seen for a decade or more and that seem questionable now - but that hasn't happened yet so it mostly just keeps expanding.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

joachimt wrote: March 29th, 2021, 6:22 pm

I think Tim can still squeeze it in, because he hasn't started calculating yet.
But specify how many on your list are ranked.
I tweaked it a little and now it's exactly 150. The rest unranked. If there's any chance it makes it in, thank you both so much.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

outdoorcats wrote: March 29th, 2021, 6:14 pm I'm sure Lav Diaz will get some representation on the final list. He has a few fans here, no?
I was curious so I went and looked at all the previous lists and - no, not enough fans anyway. None of his films have made the top 1000 before. Maybe this time? Fingers crossed.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

OldAle1 wrote: March 29th, 2021, 6:23 pm

Makes sense. I find it as interesting to think about and discuss how we each think about and create our lists as seeing the lists themselves - well, seeing the final poll list anyway, since it doesn't change all that much at the top and is mostly full of very familiar choices. Thinking about it more I realized that my IMDb list actually started as an excel file probably almost 20 years ago, so I have just kept adding to it. And the main impetus for me to finally rank a top 100 (I think I just had a top 50 before) and expand the whole list was really the re-invigoration of my love for film over the fall/winter 2016-7 period, and IMDb killing the forums. Don't remember if you were posting on FG at that moment or not but I posted my top 100 there just a week or so before the forums died. And I've kept on updating it with a little more frequency and attention than I ever did in the years before then - just makes it easier. I'd also like to do a real re-vamp, in my case it would mean re-seeing a lot of films that I haven't seen for a decade or more and that seem questionable now - but that hasn't happened yet so it mostly just keeps expanding.
I don't remember the top 100, but I remember you had posted shorter top lists on IMDb, and I used to use your top list, or matthew's or Gloede's or theskull's (etc.) for recommendations. Still haven't watched Out 1 though!
I was curious so I went and looked at all the previous lists and - no, not enough fans anyway.
I wonder why. :P Maybe Norte should be the gateway drug for future converts. It's in color, shot on high quality digital, and it's "only" 4 hours! He'll be all the rage in no time. (but no, seriously, if you're reading this and you're already a fan of Bela Tarr, give Lav Diaz a try).

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Ah theskull, haven't thought about him for a while. One of my favorite FG posters who I've not seen online since those days. Definitely share a fair bit of taste with him and all the others you mention, all good sources of recs, though at this point my to-see lists are so large that I try NOT to pay attention to recs very much from anybody, except on newer films. I'll never see everything I want to as it is, probably not even 10% of it.

I think it just takes a longer in general for lengthy and/or slow films to make the cut. I don't think Mysteries of Lisbon has made our list yet either and IIRC it took a few years to get onto the TSP 21st century list. And Ruiz isn't really in the same category, slow-film-wise, as Diaz. Also the Philippines is still film-terra-incognita for a lot of people, even people who have watched long slow Hungarian or Mexican or French or Iranian films. Even those most open to something new and different or long and difficult will take a while to get to everything, and of course I know that while I sing the praises of Lav Diaz or Ruiz or Bahram Beizai, I still haven't seen any Yoshida or Reitz or Ottinger, still haven't seen The Human Condition.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Tim2460 wrote: March 29th, 2021, 7:02 am
Fergenaprido wrote: March 29th, 2021, 4:16 am Here is my list: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls076658980/

It is ranked.

I was having trouble updating the imdb list because the numbers kept displaying incorrectly, or it would put a film in the wrong place. It was usually only 1 or 2 off, so I stopped worrying, since it wouldn't have a huge difference in the points assigned.

I just exported my finished list to test it out, and it seems the same errors are displaying. For example, I have films ranked 203, 205, 205, 207, 208, 209, 209, 210, and 201. I don't get why it's skipping some numbers and doubling others. :shrug: I'm going to post about it on imdb help forum.

I'm okay with it as it is, but if you think it's going to mess up your formulas, Tim, I can edit the csv and send you the fixed version with the correct ranking.
--> Send me the csv Ferge
Okay, will do. Should take me about 30 minutes I think (I hope).
🧚‍♂️🦫
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

joachimt wrote: March 29th, 2021, 4:33 pm That's it.

I hope Jimi can explain and Kong can confirm.
I wouldn't wait for Carmel, if I were you. First he posted a troll list. Then he posted something honest, which was public at that moment. I specifically remember looking at it. Then he made it private. If you're ready to go, try one more time, and otherwise it's 89 participants instead of 90.

I'll download those icm-favs now.
For Jimi it was almost exactly the same aproach last year (and i guess before ....)
I don't really get why you would create "groups" in the middle of otherwise ranked ... but who knows ,)

For Carmel i already had his list ... from my trials last week so i'll include it.

And as for kong : i remember he same as you and re reading it it's clear : ranked 1

Thx for the favorites, i'll wait for ferge csv, include the last voter and close the thread.
Last edited by Tim2460 on March 29th, 2021, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

@outdoorcats : grabbed your list Ranked 150.

I'll catch Ferge csv tomorow morning and close the votes.
That's a lot of manual sorting/computing so i won't be able to take list after starting the process.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

OldAle1 wrote: March 29th, 2021, 7:03 pm Ah theskull, haven't thought about him for a while. One of my favorite FG posters who I've not seen online since those days. Definitely share a fair bit of taste with him and all the others you mention, all good sources of recs, though at this point my to-see lists are so large that I try NOT to pay attention to recs very much from anybody, except on newer films. I'll never see everything I want to as it is, probably not even 10% of it.

I think it just takes a longer in general for lengthy and/or slow films to make the cut. I don't think Mysteries of Lisbon has made our list yet either and IIRC it took a few years to get onto the TSP 21st century list. And Ruiz isn't really in the same category, slow-film-wise, as Diaz. Also the Philippines is still film-terra-incognita for a lot of people, even people who have watched long slow Hungarian or Mexican or French or Iranian films. Even those most open to something new and different or long and difficult will take a while to get to everything, and of course I know that while I sing the praises of Lav Diaz or Ruiz or Bahram Beizai, I still haven't seen any Yoshida or Reitz or Ottinger, still haven't seen The Human Condition.
Thought about theskull when The Wages of Fear shot up my list. IIRC that was always his favorite film. What changed for me wasn't a rewatch, but seeing the remake Sorcerer and the war/adventure Ice Cold in Alex, which has many elements in common with both. Not disparaging Sorcerer or Alex, which are both new additions to my list and classics in their own way, but they also throw into relief how stripped down and perfect Wages of Fear is. But that's just comparing diamonds versus gold.

Very surprised Mysteries of Lisbon isn't on our list! Maybe this year? As long films go, it's hugely entertaining (IMO), and is one the most accessible Ruiz I've seen.
Tim2460 wrote: March 29th, 2021, 7:28 pm @outdoorcats : grabbed your list Ranked 150.
(l) (l) (l) (l) (l) (l)
Last edited by outdoorcats on March 29th, 2021, 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

viktor-vaudevillain

Post by viktor-vaudevillain »

Tim2460 wrote: March 29th, 2021, 12:42 pm
viktor-vaudevillain wrote: March 29th, 2021, 10:22 am Hope I will make it! And sorry for the delay.

Here's my list:

It's unranked.
Zerkalo on first place : you're in !!

Wait ... unranked (u)

You're in anyway :party:
(l) (l) (l)

haha - the first 100 is actually my ranked top 100 from 2 or 3 years back, but if I were to rank it today Zerkalo would still be my #1, but I went with the unhierarchical order this time around, as I didn't have time to rank the rest. So in spirit Tarkovsky's masterpiece is still my #1 :wub:
Last edited by viktor-vaudevillain on March 29th, 2021, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
not everything is fish, but fish are teeming everywhere
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

outdoorcats wrote: March 29th, 2021, 7:48 pm

Thought about theskull when The Wages of Fear shot up my list. IIRC that was always his favorite film. What changed for me wasn't a rewatch, but seeing the remake Sorcerer and the war/adventure Ice Cold in Alex, which has many elements in common with both. Not disparaging Sorcerer or Alex, which are both new additions to my list and classics in their own way, but they also throw into relief how stripped down and perfect Wages of Fear is. But that's just comparing diamonds versus gold.
Wow, talk about coincidences. I was literally just looking at the page for The Wages of Fear when I came back to this post. I had been going through my own list, and cross-referencing it with my original excel list - which I haven't updated for about 4 years - and I have so far come up with two films that are on the excel and not on my IMDb list, and that's one of them (the other is John Ford's The Informer). I'm thinking that when I started to re-calibrate the IMDb list, I left off a few films that I didn't remember well and had rated 9 (everything rated 10 is on the IMDb list but only certain 9-rated films). I've been meaning to re-watch that for ages, only saw it once in the cinema, probably in it's 1992 re-release. Also saw Sorcerer once, also a long time ago; have never seen Ice Cold in Alex but it's been on the list for a long time.

This conversation and my somewhat greater attempt to re-work my list this year have convinced me that I really need to create a more comprehensive re-watch list and grab all those half-remembered was-it-great-or-not? films and get to more of them over the next year. The whole filmographies of Angelopoulos and Kieslowski are in this category and I've been thinking about them a lot in particular.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I fixed the csv Tim. It's too big to attach to this post, so here it is on WT: https://we.tl/t-5CV5M5E3Ja

Let me know if you face any issues with it. Thanks :)
🧚‍♂️🦫
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

outdoorcats wrote: March 29th, 2021, 6:47 pm I don't remember the top 100, but I remember you had posted shorter top lists on IMDb, and I used to use your top list, or matthew's or Gloede's or theskull's (etc.) for recommendations. Still haven't watched Out 1 though!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

(And you should see Out 1)
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

OldAle1 wrote: March 29th, 2021, 7:03 pm Ah theskull, haven't thought about him for a while. One of my favorite FG posters who I've not seen online since those days. Definitely share a fair bit of taste with him and all the others you mention, all good sources of recs, though at this point my to-see lists are so large that I try NOT to pay attention to recs very much from anybody, except on newer films. I'll never see everything I want to as it is, probably not even 10% of it.

It is almost impressive for someone to have been a member of this forum for so long and still not seen The Human Condition - I would be shocked if you were disappointed. Can't remember anyone who didn't find it at least great.

(Of course, I would recommend Yoshida films, especially Heroic Purgatory and Eros + Massacre, more)

-

Though, to flip this towards me, I still haven't seen Mysteries of Lisbon and have only seen one Diaz film so far.

-

Re: TheSkull. Really miss him - and there are so many others, from FG1 to FG3. (l)

I'm extremely happy you, Matthew, Prodigal and many more are around.

I know you left FG3 for FG1 but there were several people specifically keeping that place alive, like Emir, CheeseCake, Daria, peas-n-carrots, Brenny & Beadle, Bama, Coops, Lemoen, Johny, etc. And so many. Serriform/Scott was here, but disappeared. I was sure Bob and Fotodude had accounts, but couldn't find them. Really odd to see how many have "disappeared".

I still have several toplists of the old timers in the word doc, though most of the entries removed upon "checking them" - pre-ICM style. Whenever I look over it I get a bit sad.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

St. Gloede wrote: March 29th, 2021, 9:37 pm It is almost impressive for someone to have been a member of this forum for so long and still not seen The Human Condition - I would be shocked if you were disappointed. Can't remember anyone who didn't find it at least great.
:think:
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Onderhond wrote: March 29th, 2021, 9:38 pm
St. Gloede wrote: March 29th, 2021, 9:37 pm It is almost impressive for someone to have been a member of this forum for so long and still not seen The Human Condition - I would be shocked if you were disappointed. Can't remember anyone who didn't find it at least great.
Somebody should just create a script that adds "except Onderhond, of course" to any statement that includes the phrase "can't think of anyone" or "can't remember anyone". You wouldn't feel so left out :woot:
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

viktor-vaudevillain wrote: March 29th, 2021, 10:22 am Here's my list:

Guess I gotta explore some Monteiro. Only seen that water hovering one, and wasn't too impressed, but maybe it was just bad timing. Nice to see love for Heart of Glass and Anatahan, both of which could've made my list.
outdoorcats wrote: March 29th, 2021, 5:55 pm Here it was for those curious. The first 100 were ranked. I put off posting it because I planned to rank more of it, up to 200 or 250 or so, then missed the deadline.
D'oh, I forgot Long Day's Journey Into Night!

Also realized yesterday I forgot The Shining, but that one at least I'm sure will have plenty help elsewhere.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Onderhond wrote: March 29th, 2021, 9:38 pm
Ha, if I knew you had seen it I would have not have been so careless. ;)
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

I rated the three parts of The Human Condition 6, 6 and 5 so count me in the 'not impressed'
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard