Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

Knockout Competition 21st Century : Final Rounds

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

At least one decent film made it to the finale. Big win there.

As for There Will Be Blood, it's the film that signaled the downfall of PT Anderson. I like his early work, but after PDL it was all downhill (quite steep too).
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

I'd say the movies he made after TWBB were less entertaining than his earlier films, although they still fall in the top 10% to my taste. His most famous movies prior to TWBB (Boogie Nights, Punch Drunk Love & Magnolia) are movies I could rewatch every month.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

I liked those three because there was a certain sparkle, a lightness and sense of fun that is completely lost from his latter work. I guess it's kinda appropriate he went for DDL after that, since his style of acting is equally sullen and languid.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I've tried both Magnolia and Boogie Nights and I couldn't finish them both. I also think I once tried Inherent Vice with the same result.

Like he might even be the only director I watched 3 movies from, not being able to finish at least one of them. But i'll try him again.

Part of the reason is the very big cast in his movies, and I tried Inherent Vice also when I was way too young and unexperienced. His movies aren't an easy watch for me, that for sure.
Bing147

Post by Bing147 »

Onderhond wrote: March 8th, 2021, 3:58 pm I liked those three because there was a certain sparkle, a lightness and sense of fun that is completely lost from his latter work. I guess it's kinda appropriate he went for DDL after that, since his style of acting is equally sullen and languid.
Have you seen Inherent Vice? I'd consider that one to have a lot of the fun of his earlier movies. I personally find it in all of his movies, though you have to look a little harder in some than others. There Will Be Blood has some phenomenally fun scenes, though they definitely lean more toward dark comedy. I think Phantom Thread is a ton of fun too, though its definitely more subtle. I laughed throughout though, its again darker, but its still there.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Bing147 wrote: March 8th, 2021, 4:32 pm Have you seen Inherent Vice? I'd consider that one to have a lot of the fun of his earlier movies. I personally find it in all of his movies, though you have to look a little harder in some than others. There Will Be Blood has some phenomenally fun scenes, though they definitely lean more toward dark comedy. I think Phantom Thread is a ton of fun too, though its definitely more subtle. I laughed throughout though, its again darker, but its still there.
Myeah, Inherent Vice is the best of the worst, Joaquin Phoenix was very blah though. And even though I generally appreciate dark comedy, I really couldn't find any in Phantom Thread and There Will Be Blood. Might've been a bit too subtle then.