Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1970s (Results), 1950 (Jun 24th), Japan (Jun 30th), Essential Cinema (Jun 30th)
Challenges: Italy, Queer Cinema, Film From Each Year
Film of the Week: Roar, July nominations (Jun 25th)

Doubling the Canon 2021 Update - Results!

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
beavis

Post by beavis »

AB537 wrote: May 10th, 2021, 3:11 am Personally I'm not too bothered by the turnover in the list, especially since a significant part of it is fueled by organic turnover in voters/forum participants. I greatly enjoy the annual exercise of nominating/watching/voting for the updated list, and if nothing else everyone's nominees collectively provide a new list of suggestions to watch, or a nudge to watch films that were already on my radar. In each of the three years I've participated so far I've found new favourites, regardless of whether they were voted onto the list itself.

My bigger reservation with the final product has always been accessibility. A lot of these titles are clearly very obscure (roughly 1/3 of the list is under 100 checks). I'm currently sitting at 165/1000 on the revised list, and while this on its own isn't a good measurement of accessibility - which in any case varies from country to country based on the randomness of licensing on Netflix/MUBI/Prime etc. as well as other factors - I'm only actively aware of a few dozen more films that I could watch with relative ease, most of which are on Criterion Channel or Kanopy. Beyond this, there are almost certainly others that can be found without too much difficulty, primarily on Kanopy, Prime and YouTube, but I'd be pleasantly shocked if - even with this list as my top priority - I could get to anywhere near half during the next year.
if you only go for streaming be sure to include youtube in your searches!!
Having a dvd collection or a film archive in your neighbourhood helps further
Finally there are also fan communities / trader networks, but some people won't go there, and they are harder to find...
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Lost 200 checks on that list... 25%..that's a lot of turnover ;)
802 to 598.
Got from 12th rank to 15th.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Re: above discussion: DtC is a canon extension putting a light at often overlooked films - it is canon to the extent that the list's purpose is to affect and highlight films in a canonical way - but this is already a project that excludes the 2,000 most canonical films of all time (*TM) and the most critically acclaimed 21st century films. You could say that the (majority) of the films in the project are not canon, but that the project, in part, is an effort to canonize them/highlight them.
AB537

Post by AB537 »

beavis wrote: May 10th, 2021, 4:35 am
AB537 wrote: May 10th, 2021, 3:11 am Personally I'm not too bothered by the turnover in the list, especially since a significant part of it is fueled by organic turnover in voters/forum participants. I greatly enjoy the annual exercise of nominating/watching/voting for the updated list, and if nothing else everyone's nominees collectively provide a new list of suggestions to watch, or a nudge to watch films that were already on my radar. In each of the three years I've participated so far I've found new favourites, regardless of whether they were voted onto the list itself.

My bigger reservation with the final product has always been accessibility. A lot of these titles are clearly very obscure (roughly 1/3 of the list is under 100 checks). I'm currently sitting at 165/1000 on the revised list, and while this on its own isn't a good measurement of accessibility - which in any case varies from country to country based on the randomness of licensing on Netflix/MUBI/Prime etc. as well as other factors - I'm only actively aware of a few dozen more films that I could watch with relative ease, most of which are on Criterion Channel or Kanopy. Beyond this, there are almost certainly others that can be found without too much difficulty, primarily on Kanopy, Prime and YouTube, but I'd be pleasantly shocked if - even with this list as my top priority - I could get to anywhere near half during the next year.
if you only go for streaming be sure to include youtube in your searches!!
Having a dvd collection or a film archive in your neighbourhood helps further
Finally there are also fan communities / trader networks, but some people won't go there, and they are harder to find...
Fair enough, and I have compiled quite a few YouTube links over the years, though with less concentrated effort than the lengthy list of streaming services I already pay for (and the limiting factor of only being able to read English subtitles). Under normal circumstances I'd have an arthouse theatre a short walk away that is somewhat helpful for covering this list (probably more so back when TSPDT 1001-2000 were eligible, but still) ... and there's a pretty good DVD rental store a bit further away. That said, the COVID restrictions here are still quite stringent, so the former is almost totally unavailable (save for a relatively limited digital offering), and visiting the latter requires considerably more effort than it normally would. But even including these options there are still likely hundreds of inaccessible titles on this list.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Tim2460 wrote: May 10th, 2021, 6:13 am Lost 200 checks on that list... 25%..that's a lot of turnover ;)
802 to 598.
Got from 12th rank to 15th.
Ouch :satstunned:
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

re: the turnover thing.

1 - as others have pointed out, this is a small project, with changing users every year, so it's quite natural that there'd be lots of changes every year.

2 - even if the userbase were more like the voters on TSP, we're still talking about films outside of the "official" canon of nearly 3000 titles, and if you look at the main TSP lists you find more and more movement the lower on the lists you go. Vertigo isn't going to budge from the top 5 anytime soon but films down at #500, or on the 1001-2000 list can have wild swings. So 25% turnover on a list of films with even less mainstream critical consensus than, say, Bleak Moments or The Quiet American should hardly be surprising.
WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff »

monclivie wrote: May 10th, 2021, 4:21 am
WalterNeff wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:22 am While I have respect for the time and effort that goes into this list, my opinion is if it changes by 25% or so, how canonical is it really?
Is it really trying to be very canonical? I like this list and enjoy anything related to it (except the rejection of my noms :P), but it's more like a couple dozen people trying to promote their favorites with more or less success, similarly to 500<400. It's a fun game and a source of some great recommendations, but you can't really get 8-10 people to watch an obscure movie and honestly call it a canon, only because most of them rated it 4/6 or more, I guess.
this. (sorry ferg for using another one word response).
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

The fact that the DTC is a dynamic and ever-evolving list makes it one of the most fun lists to work, or at least for me. :shrug:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

sol wrote: May 10th, 2021, 3:05 pm The fact that the DTC is a dynamic and ever-evolving list makes it one of the most fun lists to work, or at least for me. :shrug:
Agreed, just like 500 <400 we always generate a new "meta" of Internet cinephilia's current darlings and I just love that. Too bad we couldn't get the name changed because it's not really a canon and so it will forever mislead people and start the same discussion over and over again :P
Current recommendation: Mandala (1981)

ImageImage

Current focus: Doubling the Canon nominees, Japan, South Korea

Last.fm | RYM
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Melvelet wrote: May 10th, 2021, 6:50 pm
sol wrote: May 10th, 2021, 3:05 pm The fact that the DTC is a dynamic and ever-evolving list makes it one of the most fun lists to work, or at least for me. :shrug:
Agreed, just like 500 <400 we always generate a new "meta" of Internet cinephilia's current darlings and I just love that. Too bad we couldn't get the name changed because it's not really a canon and so it will forever mislead people and start the same discussion over and over again :P
Yea, a better name would be Beyond the Canon but eh... What are ya gonna do?
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I think of DtC as our way of telling the critics, "I can't believe your canon is missing these great films! Make sure you watch them so you can make a better canon next time."
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

NEW DOUBLING THE CANON (2021Update)
• Doubling the Canon is a yearly project which aims to expand the film canon, as crafted by They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? Anyone who loves cinema can participate. Go here.
https://theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_links2.htm

This is the first time I've seen Bill mention DTC.

The icm list is also linked further down the page.
🧚‍♂️🦫
AB537

Post by AB537 »

Fergenaprido wrote: May 11th, 2021, 12:12 am
NEW DOUBLING THE CANON (2021Update)
• Doubling the Canon is a yearly project which aims to expand the film canon, as crafted by They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? Anyone who loves cinema can participate. Go here.
https://theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_links2.htm

This is the first time I've seen Bill mention DTC.

The icm list is also linked further down the page.
He's been listing DtC for a while now. I first came to ICM in early 2016 via the link he published on TSPDT, although only started actively using the forum part in early 2019.
Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez »

In fact Bill was an active doubler for years, but i'm afraid he needs a break after every update of his site, just when the doubling is conducted.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

flavo5000 wrote: May 10th, 2021, 7:40 pm Yea, a better name would be Beyond the Canon but eh... What are ya gonna do?
Wow, great idea. That name would be miles better.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Beyond the Canon has been suggested many times, but there's already another list with that name.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/beyo ... n/baalman/
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

OK, but if we switch it to "They Canonize Films, Don't They?" instead, I will go postal.
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

They Shoot Canons, Don't They?
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Hmm, none of my nominations made it, including the ones i liked that other nominated... Aside of a few (The Spectacular Now and surprisingly Mean Creek), none of them did terrible though.

On top of that, a few movies i really like disappeared and even lost official status. I don't think i'm a fan of the list. Seems a bit "elitarian" and "obscure", especially for 21st century entries. Also don't know why there have to be at least four tv-series in the list (while people at the same time are opposed to a tv-series list, calling it "icheckMOVIES", instead of "ichecktv", but at the same time voting for tv-series in such lists.
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

Lakigigar wrote: May 14th, 2021, 9:25 am Hmm, none of my nominations made it, including the ones i liked that other nominated... Aside of a few (The Spectacular Now and surprisingly Mean Creek), none of them did terrible though.

On top of that, a few movies i really like disappeared and even lost official status. I don't think i'm a fan of the list. Seems a bit "elitarian" and "obscure", especially for 21st century entries. Also don't know why there have to be at least four tv-series in the list (while people at the same time are opposed to a tv-series list, calling it "icheckMOVIES", instead of "ichecktv", but at the same time voting for tv-series in such lists.
IMDB Mini-Series Top 50 is an official list. Is that what you were looking for?
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Berlin Alexanderplatz, Dekalog, Scenes from a Marriage and Les vampires are in TSPDT. (Fantômas is currently represented by the first episode). Mini-series/Limited series are generally considered as films, or rather closer to films than Series, and as such listed with them on yearly toplists, all-time lists, etc.

Note: Neither TSPDT or DtC are created for iCM.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

St. Gloede wrote: May 14th, 2021, 12:34 pm Berlin Alexanderplatz, Dekalog, Scenes from a Marriage and Les vampires are in TSPDT.
I can imagine those being shown in a theater. I can't imagine things like Cosmos, Chernobyl, House of Cards, Lonesome Dove and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Ebbywebby wrote: May 14th, 2021, 3:19 pm
St. Gloede wrote: May 14th, 2021, 12:34 pm Berlin Alexanderplatz, Dekalog, Scenes from a Marriage and Les vampires are in TSPDT.
I can imagine those being shown in a theater. I can't imagine things like Cosmos, Chernobyl, House of Cards, Lonesome Dove and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
This.

I just took a look at DtC and there's also Baseball, The Vietnam War, Hollywood, The Civil War and on top of that Planet Earth. Now these have not much in common with Scenes from a Marriage ..

But yeah, it's not designed for ICM, let's not forget that.

Lakigar, also don't forget that a whole 1000 films from TSP 21st are excluded from DtC altogether and some have advanced to TSP2000.
AB537

Post by AB537 »

Torgo wrote: May 14th, 2021, 3:27 pm
This.

I just took a look at DtC and there's also Baseball, The Vietnam War, Hollywood, The Civil War and on top of that Planet Earth. Now these have not much in common with Scenes from a Marriage ..

Lakigar, also don't forget that a whole 1000 films from TSP 21st are excluded from DtC altogether and some have advanced to TSP2000.
Not only is it not designed for ICM, but we'd be in endless controversy if we modified the (already sometimes contentious) forum miniseries rule to make judgment calls on individual miniseries. Also worth noting that The Wire appears in TSPDT 1001-2000, Twin Peaks used to be there, and The Handmaid's Tale (season 1) once appeared in TSPDT 21st Century, even though those are all definitively not miniseries. Debatably Les Vampires isn't either, although whether pre-TV era serials are miniseries or "films" is well into the territory of semantics, especially when both categories are clearly eligible for polls under our rules.

I do, however, agree with Lakigigar's point about obscurity - as mentioned in one of my earlier posts, roughly 1/3 of the current list has less than 100 checks, and I suspect most of this is virtually impossible to find and/or has very niche appeal.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

We have to be aware that a whole 1000 films were canonized by GF2000, so that leaves more crumbs for the "doubled" canon list - if I'm getting that right.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Why not? Seems arbitrary to accept some mini-series as "theatrical" and not others. Even that OJ Simpson mini-series was given a brief theatrical run, and it's what, 8 hours long? House of Cards, for example, is much shorter.
AB537 wrote: May 14th, 2021, 9:50 pm

This.

Not only is it not designed for ICM, but we'd be in endless controversy if we modified the (already sometimes contentious) forum miniseries rule to make judgment calls on individual miniseries. Also worth noting that The Wire appears in TSPDT 1001-2000, Twin Peaks used to be there, and The Handmaid's Tale (season 1) once appeared in TSPDT 21st Century, even though those are all definitively not miniseries. Debatably Les Vampires isn't either, although whether pre-TV era serials are miniseries or "films" is well into the territory of semantics, especially when both categories are clearly eligible for polls under our rules.

I do, however, agree with Lakigigar's point about obscurity - as mentioned in one of my earlier posts, roughly 1/3 of the current list has less than 100 checks, and I suspect most of this is virtually impossible to find and/or has very niche appeal.
Handmaids tale was originally a limited series, I believe, since the first season follows the book. I don't think it was originally planned beyond that, but then after it's success they decided to continue the story. I could be wrong though.

And yes, many of these films are obscure, but to me, at least, that's part of the charm of it: Underseen films that a small portion of voters are passionate about (and with few detractors, if any). Some of them find a wider audience and become much-loved forum favourites, but the vast majority of those tumble out of the list on their first revote after more people have seen them. Assuming the pool of voters remains relatively constant, over time the list will stabilize more, with fewer films bouncing up and down the rankings. I, for one, don't mind giving those films their brief time in the spotlight, knowing that if they're truly good they'll hold up over time. That, and my personal film tastes don't really jive with the list, so I don't look to it as an authoritative source, but rather a place to explore films that I would not likely have prioritized otherwise.
🧚‍♂️🦫
AB537

Post by AB537 »

Fergenaprido wrote: May 14th, 2021, 10:15 pm
AB537 wrote: May 14th, 2021, 9:50 pm

This.

Handmaids tale was originally a limited series, I believe, since the first season follows the book. I don't think it was originally planned beyond that, but then after it's success they decided to continue the story. I could be wrong though.

And yes, many of these films are obscure, but to me, at least, that's part of the charm of it: Underseen films that a small portion of voters are passionate about (and with few detractors, if any). Some of them find a wider audience and become much-loved forum favourites, but the vast majority of those tumble out of the list on their first revote after more people have seen them. Assuming the pool of voters remains relatively constant, over time the list will stabilize more, with fewer films bouncing up and down the rankings. I, for one, don't mind giving those films their brief time in the spotlight, knowing that if they're truly good they'll hold up over time. That, and my personal film tastes don't really jive with the list, so I don't look to it as an authoritative source, but rather a place to explore films that I would not likely have prioritized otherwise.
You may well be right re Handmaid's Tale. I don't have a problem with some more obscure films making the cut, and certainly wouldn't propose a checks threshold (though perhaps more votes to make the list is something to consider). It just seems to me that the volume of films with very little viewership is too high, and may perhaps dissuade some people from seriously engaging with the list. Personally, I'd likely prioritize it more if a larger share of the titles were more readily available. The other factor that steers me a way a bit is one you mentioned as well - a bit of a disconnect between my taste and the end results. That said, despite my reservations I do look forward to and actively participate in the annual nomination/voting exercise - and, most importantly, have found new favourites each year from others' nominations, even if they don't end up getting voting in (some do!).
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

AB537 wrote: May 15th, 2021, 1:35 am I don't have a problem with some more obscure films making the cut, and certainly wouldn't propose a checks threshold (though perhaps more votes to make the list is something to consider). It just seems to me that the volume of films with very little viewership is too high, and may perhaps dissuade some people from seriously engaging with the list.
I believe the vote threshold is 10% of the number of votes, but Ángel can correct me if I'm wrong. I know the number has gone up over the years as more people have participated.
🧚‍♂️🦫
AB537

Post by AB537 »

Fergenaprido wrote: May 15th, 2021, 1:38 am
AB537 wrote: May 15th, 2021, 1:35 am I don't have a problem with some more obscure films making the cut, and certainly wouldn't propose a checks threshold (though perhaps more votes to make the list is something to consider). It just seems to me that the volume of films with very little viewership is too high, and may perhaps dissuade some people from seriously engaging with the list.
I believe the vote threshold is 10% of the number of votes, but Ángel can correct me if I'm wrong. I know the number has gone up over the years as more people have participated.
Fair enough - I was under the impression the threshold was a raw number of 8 since I started participating in 2018.
insomnius

Post by insomnius »

I didn't see anyone making one of these yet, so here's a list of holdovers and films to be revoted next year:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/doub ... insomnius/
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

insomnius wrote: May 18th, 2021, 1:16 pm I didn't see anyone making one of these yet, so here's a list of holdovers and films to be revoted next year:

Thanks.
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

insomnius wrote: May 18th, 2021, 1:16 pm I didn't see anyone making one of these yet, so here's a list of holdovers and films to be revoted next year:

Thanks a lot!
Current recommendation: Mandala (1981)

ImageImage

Current focus: Doubling the Canon nominees, Japan, South Korea

Last.fm | RYM
Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez »

Don't forget DtC 2020 drop-offs:
Ai no kawaki
Az ötödik pecsét
Brand Upon the Brain! A Remembrance in 12 Chapters
Brideshead Revisited
Der rechte Weg
Derakhte Golabi
Femmes femmes
Film Portrait
Fu rong zhen
I... comme Icare
Jane B. par Agnès V.
La marge
Le septième juré
Les yeux ne veulent pas en tout temps se fermer, ou Peut-être qu'un jour Rome se permettra de choisir à son tour
L'éternel retour
Maldone
Minagoroshi no reika
Mosaferan
Os Faroleiros
Party
Peau de pêche
Risttuules
Shitoyakana kedamono
Thelma
Tonka Sibenice
Tyrannosaur
Uta
Youchai
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060082/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075467/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443455/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083390/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3278822/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187809/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071493/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068585/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087301/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079322/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093295/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074868/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0188195/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064774/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036566/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0019127/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122612/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104919/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0013118/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117301/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020263/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2534660/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217799/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6304046/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021484/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1204340/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1033501/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115028/
insomnius

Post by insomnius »

Angel Glez wrote: May 18th, 2021, 6:10 pm

Ai no kawaki
Az ötödik pecsét
Brand Upon the Brain! A Remembrance in 12 Chapters
Brideshead Revisited
Der rechte Weg
Derakhte Golabi
Femmes femmes
Film Portrait
Fu rong zhen
I... comme Icare
Jane B. par Agnès V.
La marge
Le septième juré
Les yeux ne veulent pas en tout temps se fermer, ou Peut-être qu'un jour Rome se permettra de choisir à son tour
L'éternel retour
Maldone
Minagoroshi no reika
Mosaferan
Os Faroleiros
Party
Peau de pêche
Risttuules
Shitoyakana kedamono
Thelma
Tonka Sibenice
Tyrannosaur
Uta
Youchai
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060082/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075467/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443455/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083390/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3278822/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187809/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071493/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068585/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087301/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079322/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093295/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074868/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0188195/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064774/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036566/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0019127/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122612/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104919/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0013118/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117301/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020263/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2534660/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217799/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6304046/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021484/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1204340/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1033501/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115028/
Sorry. Fixed.
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

insomnius wrote: May 18th, 2021, 9:42 pm

Sorry. Fixed.
Can someone please make a IMDb list out of it or extract the ICM one as csv file ? Tx!
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

hurluberlu wrote: May 19th, 2021, 7:53 pm
Sorry. Fixed.
Can someone please make a IMDb list out of it or extract the ICM one as csv file ? Tx!
https://we.tl/t-lzCXchDh5d
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

joachimt wrote: May 19th, 2021, 8:06 pm
hurluberlu wrote: May 19th, 2021, 7:53 pm
Sorry. Fixed.
https://we.tl/t-lzCXchDh5d
Thanks !

IMDb list
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage