Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Der Wald vor lauter Bäumen, April nominations (Apr 1st)

iCM Forum's Favourite Under 50 iCM Checks Movies : Results Thread

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

#9(NEW) Das Beil von Wandsbek (1951)
[The Axe of Wandsbek]

Directed by: Falk Harnack
(337,22 Pts, 4 Votes) , Top 1–10-50: –3–4
Plot: After a crime is committed during the Nazi era in the Reeperbahn area of Hamburg,the aspiring local leader,a ship owner,needs to find an executioner to kill the perpetrators(the crime is ...
ICheckMovies: 16 Checks , 2 Favourites , 0 Official lists
List of 4 Voters:
blocho(unranked)
Daviddoes (#36)
peeptoad(#8)
sol (#5)

sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Tim2460 wrote: February 5th, 2021, 1:17 pm #9(NEW) Das Beil von Wandsbek (1951)
[The Axe of Wandsbek]
Whoa. Just when I had given up on this one showing up. :sweat: Awesome. :worship: I knew about peeps and blocho; didn't realise that Daviddoes was also a fan. This definitely needs to be more widely seen.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

#8(NEW) Abendland (1999)

Directed by: Fred Kelemen
(343,13 Pts, 5 Votes) , Top 1–10-50: –1–3
Plot: At the end of the 20th century in Europe, the social climate is on a downward slide and unemployment is rife. The situation affects the lives of a couple, Anton and Leni, who live together in an unnamed city.
ICheckMovies: 27 Checks , 8 Favourites , 0 Official lists
List of 5 Voters:
beavis (#26)
Perception de Ambiguity(unranked>2)
rnilsson19 (#12)
RogerTheMovieManiac88(unranked)
Y U M E (#2)

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote: February 5th, 2021, 12:56 pm
Coryn wrote: February 5th, 2021, 12:07 pm The only 'problem' with this list is that it's really skewed in favour of people (even more than other ballots) who listed more movies.
I'm not here to start the discussion again but we can only hope that people don't put movies in their list they only rated to be average.
Nah, I deliberately left out personal 8s and 8.5s that I like a lot (oftentimes films that I see ended up making the list - titles such as 'Thunderstorm', 'Deadfall', and quite a few others).

My list was mostly just my 9.5s and my 10s, rounded out with personal 9s that others had selected and I was only too happy to include and endorse.

I was much more particular in making this list than I have been in the past. I probably should have ranked it though!
I think I'm a stingier rater than you, but I left out plenty of great films (lower 8s) as well.

(I do hope no one voted for films they don't think are great)

Adding to that though, I have to disagree Coryn. With the cutoff, low placements don't do much - which is a shame. I would say everything in my top 100 is absolutely fantastic, and something I'd urge everyone to see ASAP.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

St. Gloede wrote: February 5th, 2021, 1:34 pm
Coryn wrote: February 5th, 2021, 12:07 pm The only 'problem' with this list is that it's really skewed in favour of people (even more than other ballots) who listed more movies.
I'm not here to start the discussion again but we can only hope that people don't put movies in their list they only rated to be average.
Nah, I deliberately left out personal 8s and 8.5s that I like a lot (oftentimes films that I see ended up making the list - titles such as 'Thunderstorm', 'Deadfall', and quite a few others).

My list was mostly just my 9.5s and my 10s, rounded out with personal 9s that others had selected and I was only too happy to include and endorse.

I was much more particular in making this list than I have been in the past. I probably should have ranked it though!
I think I'm a stingier rater than you, but I left out plenty of great films (lower 8s) as well.

Adding to that though, I have to disagree Coryn. With the cutoff, low placements don't do much - which is a shame. I would say everything in my top 100 is absolutely fantastic, and something I'd urge everyone to see ASAP.
If I had inserted my 6 and 7 / 10 there would be 6/10s in my top 15, possibly getting into the top 100 here so it definitely does change the list.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Coryn wrote: February 5th, 2021, 1:38 pm
St. Gloede wrote: February 5th, 2021, 1:34 pm

If I had inserted my 6 and 7 / 10 there would be 6/10s in my top 15, possibly getting into the top 100 here so it definitely does change the list.
Ouch. How many did you end up voting for? All 8+?

Edit: Found you in the intro. Very respectable choice!
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

#7(NEW) Au pan coupé (1968)
[Wall Engravings]

Directed by: Guy Gilles
(356,3 Pts, 5 Votes) , Top 1–10-50: –2–5
Plot: A young girl remembers her impossible love for a melancholic boy.
ICheckMovies: 39 Checks , 4 Favourites , 1 Official lists
List of 5 Voters:
beavis (#7)
klaus78 (#9)
OldAle1(#23)
rnilsson19 (#46)

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

St. Gloede wrote: February 5th, 2021, 1:34 pmI think I'm a stingier rater than you, but I left out plenty of great films (lower 8s) as well.
Ah, I wouldn't use the word ''stingy''. Maybe I do need to reign in the abandon with which I throw around 9s and 10s, haha.
That's all, folks!
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

I'm sorry, Coryn - I'm confused. Do you think that some participants have only been including movies that they consider to be average? I doubt it, but there is no way of knowing for sure. The scoring is the same as all the polls we run on the forum though, so if there is a problem with participants doing that, it wouldn't be limited to just this poll. Not that knowing that is any consolation, but still.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

Just saw Gánh Xiêc Rong (a.k.a Traveling Circus, #60) purely by chance night before last, and it was great. Really glad to see it made the list without my vote!
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

sol wrote: February 5th, 2021, 1:53 pm
I'm sorry, Coryn - I'm confused. Do you think that some participants have only been including movies that they consider to be average? I doubt it, but there is no way of knowing for sure. The scoring is the same as all the polls we run on the forum though, so if there is a problem with participants doing that, it wouldn't be limited to just this poll. Not that knowing that is any consolation, but still.
Yeah, just to chime in, all of my choices were movies that I absolutely loved and heartily recommend. I don't know who would submit candidates they're half-hearted about.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

Tim, thanks so much for doing this. Even though it's not finished yet I think this is my favorite poll on this board. I love the list so far... I plan on watching my first of Guy Gilles' this month too, so good to see them here.
As for Coryn's query: the films I included (only 3 or 4 of which have made it yet) were ones I rated 8-10 on my scale, so pretty high for me. My favorites (regardless of check #s) are usually 8+ and higher so some might not be actual favs outside of this, but are very close.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

No I'm not saying anyone in particular at all, just a fact that people score movies differently and some people could do that. And if it happened here it would have a larger impact than it would have on for example our bigger ballots with more of the same movies (our top 250 for example)

But don't worry, I don't have anyone in mind
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

The effect may be bigger in this poll though, since two mere votes could get a film into the list.

I was the one who raised the initial concern, even then there's still a certain level of unfairness that could be difficult to get past.
If two people submitted equal-length lists (let's say 50 entries), but person 1 only included 10/10 ratings while person 2 included only 8/10 ratings (because no higher ratings applied), it still wouldn't be correct. But every solution to that would make ranking way too complex, so it's just something you'll have to take for granted :)
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Onderhond wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:05 pm
The effect may be bigger in this poll though, since two mere votes could get a film into the list.
That's the same with all our more "obscure" polls (for lack of a better term). The iCM Forum Africa list, for instance, also included films with just two votes.

I still don't really see the problem. If two people really loved a film, I wouldn't have a problem with it appearing in the results, even if it received no other votes. I also don't know what motivation there would be for including films in your ballot if you didn't like them enough to want them to appear in the final results. But maybe that's just me. :shrug:
Image Image Image
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

peeptoad wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:02 pm Tim, thanks so much for doing this. Even though it's not finished yet I think this is my favorite poll on this board. I love the list so far... I plan on watching my first of Guy Gilles' this month too, so good to see them here.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Guy Gilles growing in notoriety by the minute.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

sol wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:13 pm I also don't know what motivation there would be for including films in your ballot if you didn't like them enough to want them to appear in the final results. But maybe that's just me. :shrug:
Dunno ... I wouldn't mind seeing some of my 3.5* rating appear in the results, even though I wouldn't vote for them myself (I cap at 4*). Especially when they would replace films I don't care for. I think I've also seen some people apologize for submitting short lists, so apparently there's some stigma there too.

I think the discomfort comes from the idea that you might still be pushing big personal favorites 200 films into your own list, while others are possible scraping the barrel at position 15. And those films will be getting way more points even though they're relatively less favored.
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

#6(NEW) Jenseits der Straße - Eine Tragödie des Alltags (1929)
[Harbor Drift]

Directed by: Leo Mittler
(358,17 Pts, 5 Votes) , Top 1–10-50: –1–5
Plot: N/A
ICheckMovies: 41 Checks , 9 Favourites , 1 Official lists
List of 5 Voters:
beavis (#14)
joachimt(#5)
lineuphere (#38)
rnilsson19 (#24)

sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Onderhond wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:21 pmthose films will be getting way more points even though they're relatively less favored
I don't think so. I mean, the whole point of having a half-life system is that if you submit a very long list, the titles towards the end only get a few points compared to the titles towards top... right? :ermm:
Image Image Image
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Interesting looking entry at #6 from Leo Mittler; apposite with the 1929 poll upon us. I'll bear it in mind.
Last edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88 on February 5th, 2021, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's all, folks!
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

sol wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:26 pm
Onderhond wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:21 pmthose films will be getting way more points even though they're relatively less favored
I don't think so. I mean, the whole point of having a half-life system is that if you submit a very long list, the titles towards the end only get a few points compared to the titles towards top... right? :ermm:
If the half-life works like I think it works you might be right about that particular example.
What remains is that your #5 8/10 rated film is still racking up more points that my #15 10/10 rated film when our lists have equal lengths :)
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Ye it's an infinite discussion but I for example could have easily impacted the list if I made a top 15 instead of a top 4 :D

Anyway, I like the list and will be picking out a few of them to watch in the future.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I think Onderhond is making a slightly different point that if we were basing it on how much people love the films, some peoples 200th would be higher than someone else's 20th, and that it is too bad that these deeply loved films don't get matching points due to the diminishing returns.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Onderhond wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:46 pm
If the half-life works like I think it works you might be right about that particular example.
What remains is that your #5 8/10 rated film is still racking up more points that my #15 10/10 rated film when our lists have equal lengths :)
It is not just when your list has equal length.

Unless I have misunderstood the tallying system, your 10th has the same number of points regardless of wether you submitted a list of 10 or 1,000.
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

St. Gloede wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:18 pm
peeptoad wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:02 pm Tim, thanks so much for doing this. Even though it's not finished yet I think this is my favorite poll on this board. I love the list so far... I plan on watching my first of Guy Gilles' this month too, so good to see them here.

Guy Gilles < 50 < Eric Rohmer < 400
Last edited by weirdboy on February 5th, 2021, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

I was also worried when i saw the subject of that pool.

But in fact :
There were 71 List submitted... that's a lot for a recent monthly pool i think and the average lenght is 80 ...
witch is also a lot when you talk about under 50 checks films ...
the first 1 vote Film is ... Rank Number 454
So i decided i was "Safe" to make it an TOP250.

You'll take a look at the excel file if needeed after the results ,)
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

I love the fact that this is a full top 250, Tim. (l) And Gloede, now would be the perfect time to publish a ratings scale podcast. :P
Image Image Image
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

#5(NEW) The Quiet Room (1996)

Directed by: Rolf de Heer
(369,81 Pts, 6 Votes) , Top 1–10-50: –2–5
Plot: A seven-year-old girl adopts a vow of silence in protest when her quarrelsome parents grow increasingly hostile to one another.
ICheckMovies: 46 Checks , 5 Favourites , 1 Official lists
List of 6 Voters:
72aicm (#21)
filmbantha (#32)
mightysparks (#19)
sol (#2)
zomgmouse (#218)

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Sol number 2 ... but it climbs mostly with the number of votes i guess
Hard to say
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

St. Gloede wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:18 pm

Yep, and Gilles is prob my only double for experimental/AG-RtD this month too. Looking forward to it. :cheers:
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

St. Gloede wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:52 pm Unless I have misunderstood the tallying system, your 10th has the same number of points regardless of wether you submitted a list of 10 or 1,000.
That's where I started from, but maybe it's scaled between your top/bottom entries (so my bottom #200 would get equal points to someone else's bottom #15)?
It's also very possible that it's just a feeling because I'm not 100% with the math behind the rankings, but I'm fairly certain there's no way to make it perfectly fair (which isn't the end of the world.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Tim2460 wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:58 pm #5(NEW) The Quiet Room (1996)

Directed by: Rolf de Heer
(369,81 Pts, 6 Votes) , Top 1–10-50: –2–5
Plot: A seven-year-old girl adopts a vow of silence in protest when her quarrelsome parents grow increasingly hostile to one another.
ICheckMovies: 46 Checks , 5 Favourites , 1 Official lists
List of 6 Voters:
72aicm (#21)
filmbantha (#32)
mightysparks (#19)
sol (#2)
zomgmouse (#218)
Tim2460 wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:59 pm Sol number 2 ... but it climbs mostly with the number of votes i guess
Hard to say
Very cool to have this so high in our list. :wub:
Image Image Image
gromit82
Donator

Post by gromit82 »

Onderhond wrote: February 5th, 2021, 3:02 pm
St. Gloede wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:52 pm Unless I have misunderstood the tallying system, your 10th has the same number of points regardless of wether you submitted a list of 10 or 1,000.
That's where I started from, but maybe it's scaled between your top/bottom entries (so my bottom #200 would get equal points to someone else's bottom #15)?
It's also very possible that it's just a feeling because I'm not 100% with the math behind the rankings, but I'm fairly certain there's no way to make it perfectly fair (which isn't the end of the world.
It's like St. Gloede said. With a half-life of 50, every #15 film on a ranked list would get 82.359 points, regardless of whether the list had 15 films or 200 films on it.

Longer lists do have a larger impact on the poll, though, since the person with 200 films on it would be giving 81.225 points to their #16 film, 80.107 points to their #17 film, and so on, down to 6.337 points for their #200 film, which the person with 15 films on their list is not allocating. Or to put it another way, the person with 15 films on their list is only allocating a total of 1363.72 points, while the person with 200 films on their list is allocating 6809.62 points.
Spoiler
10 REM A=AVERAGE POINTS
20 REM T=TOTAL POINTS
22 REM H=HALF LIFE
25 INPUT "How many films are on the list? ";F
27 INPUT "What is the half life or the poll? ";H
30 LET T=0
40 FOR B=1 TO F
45 PRINT "If ranked, film # ";B;" gets ";100/(2^((B-1)/H));" points."
50 LET T=T+100/(2^((B-1)/H))
60 NEXT B
70 PRINT "The total number of points assigned is ";T;"."
80 PRINT "The average number of points assigned is ";T/F;"."
90 INPUT "Do you want to do another calculation? ";C$
100 IF LEFT$(C$,1)="Y" THEN GOTO 25
110 IF LEFT$(C$,1)="y" THEN GOTO 25
120 END
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

#4(NEW) La deuxième nuit (2016)

Directed by: Eric Pauwels
(375,15 Pts, 5 Votes) , Top 1–10-50: –2–4
Plot: On the death of his mother, a filmmaker makes a film to see how much her disappearance has changed his vision of the world. It is an opportunity for him to look back over his relationship ...
ICheckMovies: 23 Checks , 2 Favourites , 0 Official lists
List of 5 Voters:
beavis (#49)
jvv (#11)
Lonewolf2003(#5)
St. Gloede (#5)

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

gromit82 wrote: February 5th, 2021, 3:17 pm It's like St. Gloede said. With a half-life of 50, every #15 film on a ranked list would get 82.359 points, regardless of whether the list had 15 films or 200 films on it.
Mkay, so my original remark stands then, and it's a bit worse than I'd hoped.

Any reason why we're not spreading the points over the list? A measure against people pushing very long lists I assume?
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Next is PdA number 1
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

#3(NEW) LA Plays Itself (1972)

Directed by: Fred Halsted
(403,06 Pts, 5 Votes) , Top 1–10-50: 1–3–5
Plot: The film opens on a shot of the ""Los Angeles City Limits"" sign. It then cuts to Fred Halsted taking a walk in the forest and coming upon a man sunning himself in the nude. They briefly talk...
ICheckMovies: 39 Checks , 4 Favourites , 1 Official lists
List of 5 Voters:
kongs_speech (#5)
lineuphere (#44)
Perception de Ambiguity(#1)
Quartoxuma (#4)
rnilsson19 (#41)

Coryn

Post by Coryn »

That's my guess as well. That's why we need to rely on people only posting their favorites and not look at their list size. Hence why I only posted 4 movies for this challenge.
RogerTheMovieManiac88

I'm glad to see the Halsted show up, even though I didn't quite extend to supporting it in my own list.

Makes for a cool addition to the list, as far as I'm concerned (with apologies to Joachim).
That's all, folks!
matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 »

muhahaha, I am the mafia

[disclaimer: only films I rate excellent were nominated, all in my all time list]