Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

iCM Forum's Favourite Under 50 iCM Checks Movies : Results Thread

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Quartoxuma wrote: February 5th, 2021, 6:43 pm
Tim2460 wrote: February 5th, 2021, 7:47 am #68(NEW) The Flying Train (1902)
Spoiler
Directed by: 0
(209,52 Pts, 3 Votes) , Top 1–10-50: –1–3
Plot: Panoramic view taken from the Suspension Railway at Barmen and Elbefeld, Germany. A marvelous example of engineering work.
ICheckMovies: 32 Checks , 5 Favourites , 0 Official lists
List of 3 Voters:
ckfilm88 (#36)
joachimt(#50)
Quartoxuma (#3)
That's my hometown. Always crazy seeing this since I have such a vivid memory of the 90s version of the tracks.
Ha, crazy!

I thought it was kinda amazing how our #9 film Das Beil von Wandsbek (1951) has the district of the town I live in - Hamburg - in its title, but it likely happens more often with everything related to St. Pauli & the Reeperbahn than with Wuppertal or even Barmen and Elbefeld specifically :woot:

[edit] This film has fantastic quality for 1902 - it's shot on 68mm!
Last edited by Torgo on February 5th, 2021, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

I'm adding some runtimes to the films in the complete poll results. Up to six, so far.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

I remember seeing one of those old monorail shorts before, but apparently it's not The Flying Train. Any idea which one I've seen (it must be official)?
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Seen: 28/250
Highest unseen: #1 Connections
Highest voted for: #2 Je t'attendrai
Number of dislikes: 2
#3 LA Plays Itself
#133 Frauds (Really didn't expect this to pop up. I bought this on VHS in the 90's for the sole reason I was a fan of the music of Phil Collins.)
Number of favorites: 4
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Checked: 31/250 (12.40%)
Voted for: 12/250 (4.80%) I think, which is 4.46% of my list of 269
Highest unchecked: #1 Connections
Highest favourite: #20 The Art of Flying
Highest dislike: #3 LA Plays Itself
Favourite to dislike ratio: 2:5

Positions of my Top Ten (2 made it in)
1. #490 Zero Patience
2. #541 M
3. #95 Buddies
4. #615 Angry Inuk
5. #686 The Fruit Machine
6. #729 Rufus
7. #177 Emrouz [Today]
8. #836 Los del túnel [The Tunnel Gang]
9. #378 Being Canadian
10. #956 Partition

Six Canadian films, two queer films, and two non-English films... pretty much sums up where my focus is relative to other users. I was the only voter for 7 of my top 10.

Surprised I saw so many, but not surprised my dislikes outweigh my favourites (they're almost equal on the full list). I already had 39 of the Top 250 watchlisted, though, including 7 of the 8 films in the Top 10 I haven't seen. I'm not terribly excited to see any of them, however, which is probably why they've languished on my watchlist for so long :sweat:
russa03

Post by russa03 »

Why are people complaining about the rating levels of others? Not everything that i voted was something i consider great (in fact it's only my top choice i could say that for) but all of them are films i want to recommend. This is what i do with all my lists i submit. I really don't understand how people can compare ratings when they're subjective. Do some think that in future lists it should be specified that you can only vote for 'great' films?
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

russa03 wrote: February 5th, 2021, 8:03 pm Why are people complaining about the rating levels of others? Not everything that i voted was something i consider great (in fact it's only my top choice i could say that for) but all of them are films i want to recommend. This is what i do with all my lists i submit. I really don't understand how people can compare ratings when they're subjective. Do some think that in future lists it should be specified that you can only vote for 'great' films?
Nobody said that
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

OK I have seen 7 of the top 250, 5 of which I voted for. Of those 7, only Circle of Two I watched on my own accord without in some way being influenced by this forum (5 were world cup movies and the other was in the 1<500<400 challenge a couple of years back).

In the complete list only 13 movies I had seen made the list outside of the movies I personally nominated.

All this goes to prove what I always say, If someone was to ever have the same tastes as me I would be extremely worried about them.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Now this is a perfect time to drop our ratings podcast, though unfortunately that will be in a few weeks ...

Oh the hype.

But I think it is clear that it is not just people's ratings but theirs words that differ.

I would never dream of recommending something I didn't think was great for instance - unless on a personal basis, ie I think they would like it more. What's the point in watching or recommending films that are just good?

Now, there may of course be different philosophies and thresholds here too, but one person's great is likely someone's good - and it means exactly the same thing.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Thank you for all the hard work hosting, organising and gathering pictures, Tim. Really appreciated!
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

:cheers:
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Yes thanks Tim
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

St. Gloede wrote: February 5th, 2021, 8:51 pm Now this is a perfect time to drop our ratings podcast, though unfortunately that will be in a few weeks ...

Oh the hype.

But I think it is clear that it is not just people's ratings but theirs words that differ.

I would never dream of recommending something I didn't think was great for instance - unless on a personal basis, ie I think they would like it more. What's the point in watching or recommending films that are just good?

Now, there may of course be different philosophies and thresholds here too, but one person's great is likely someone's good - and it means exactly the same thing.
Exactly! One persons 9 is another person 7. What one person calls great, another calls good. And even with the same rating scale the threshold for what’s a favorite differs.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Numbers are pretty silly, and I wish we could all dispense with ever talking about ratings at all - I mean, it's fine to rate things yourself on IMDb or whatever, but they have absolutely no bearing in most discussions, you might as well say "I rate this fish" or "no, that's an airplane, not worthy of copper cylinder status let alone piggy bank". I had a friend on a beer rating site years ago who was as enthusiastic as anybody about what he loved, but on a scale of .5 to 5.0 - with decimal placings - his highest rating out of 6000 beers was 4.2, and his average was just over 2.0 (with the mathematical average being 2.75). He told me that for a beer to get a perfect rating from him it would have to be so great that he would quite literally never be able to drink anything else for the rest of his life, flawless in every conceivable respect. Struck me as quite silly, but that was his mantra.

Also I think that in general Americans tend to rate higher than non-Americans, no doubt in part a product of the numbers and grades we see in our different educational systems. Most of my real-life friends would be appalled at the extremely severe ratings here - at least a couple of them were higher raters than me and I'm a pussycat in this crowd.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: February 5th, 2021, 9:17 pm One persons 9 is another person 7
But it'll never be another person's 5 (bar the exception that ...). And if I'd include everything I'd like to recommend (that would include a large portion of my 3.5* ratings) I'd probably end up with a PdA-like list. I'm not saying this should need to be fixed, I'm merely saying it's a bit disappointing to see your own close-to-your-heart favorites being overruled by someone else's yeah-I'd-rec-this films. I don't think that's a weird sentiment.
Last edited by Onderhond on February 5th, 2021, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Quartoxuma wrote: February 5th, 2021, 6:43 pm That's my hometown. Always crazy seeing this since I have such a vivid memory of the 90s version of the tracks.
I understand this train system is still operational. Is it a lot of fun riding it? It seems like such a great way to get an unusual perspective of a cityscape.
Mifune

Post by Mifune »

Thanks for your effort Tim - well done!

I am sad that the great greek neo noir Wednesday 04:45 ( :ICM: . :imdb: . :letbxd: ) didn't made it, but I guess everybody is missing some darlings.
(example of its cinematography:)
sol wrote: February 5th, 2021, 1:20 pm
Tim2460 wrote: February 5th, 2021, 1:17 pm #9(NEW) Das Beil von Wandsbek (1951)
[The Axe of Wandsbek]
Whoa. Just when I had given up on this one showing up. :sweat: Awesome. :worship: I knew about peeps and blocho; didn't realise that Daviddoes was also a fan. This definitely needs to be more widely seen.
Shame on me. I live in Wandsbek (biggest district of Hamburg) and didnt watched it yet. But I will thanks to the recommendations.
> 500 german movie reviews - Filmsucht.org
russa03

Post by russa03 »

I don't understand other people's rating systems or how they choose which films to submit but I don't think they're wrong though, it's just their way. What gets me is users complaining about others not following their thinking, sharing incomparable statements about how they wouldn't included anything under a "high 7" or a "low 9" like this means something concrete, and that this would spoil the list.

St. Gloede wrote: February 5th, 2021, 8:51 pm What's the point in watching or recommending films that are just good?
I'll need to remember this.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Would you care for a list of films of which you yourself think they're not particularly good, interesting or in any way worth the watch? :unsure:
Of course our rating scales are often not comparable, but this isn't much about numbers, is it.
RolandKirkSunglasses

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

Have to thank Tim for organising everything, must've been a mammoth undertaking :cheers:

Two of my seven picks made the top 100, an extremely varied list overall and glad to be part of ICM history. Where do I collect the prize money for participation?
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

Thanks Tim!

I have seen 24 of Top 250 which is more than I expected.
7 out of my list of 15 titles made the top 250.

It was my #1, but I hope that Connections would no longer qualify by the time this poll comes up again since I wish more people would watch it.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Tim2460 wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 8:01 am #227(NEW) There's a Man in the Woods (2014)
Spoiler
Directed by: Jacob Streilein
(143,38 Pts, 2 Votes) , Top 1–10-50: ––2
Plot: ""A teacher struggles to control a rumor spreading around his elementary school by one greedy child.""
ICheckMovies: 44 Checks , 7 Favourites , 0 Official lists
List of 2 Voters:
Cinepolis (#14)
ckfilm88 (#38)
This was great!

Tim2460 wrote: February 4th, 2021, 10:47 am #159(NEW) Minuscule - Les Mandibules du Bout du Monde (2018)
[Minuscule - Mandibles from Far Away]
Spoiler
Directed by: Thomas Szabo; Hélène Giraud
(156,95 Pts, 2 Votes) , Top 1–10-50: ––2
Plot: ""When the first snow falls in the valley, it is urgent to prepare its reserves for the winter. Alas, during the operation, a small ladybug is trapped in a box - to the Caribbean. One solution: reform the shock team.""
ICheckMovies: 27 Checks , 1 Favourites , 0 Official lists
List of 2 Voters:
Torgo (#17)
Zenigame (#20)

I can't believe this has 27 checks on ICM while over 1200 people rated it on IMDb. It screened in theatres not too long ago.

Ebbywebby wrote: February 4th, 2021, 11:22 am Wow, I've never heard of "Aoom" before but it sounds delightfully trippy.
You can say that again. :blink:
Tim2460 wrote: February 4th, 2021, 3:30 pm #133(NEW) Frauds (1993)
Spoiler
Happy Birthday!

Tim2460 wrote: February 4th, 2021, 4:18 pm #125(NEW) Soredake (2015)
[That's It]
Spoiler
Directed by: Gakuryû Ishii
(167,6 Pts, 2 Votes) , Top 1–10-50: –1–2
Plot: Daikoku and Ami want to escape their wayward lives. When they are thrown together they set out to kill a yakuza boss and also blackmail the thugs using stolen information to find Daikoku's ...
ICheckMovies: 16 Checks , 3 Favourites , 0 Official lists
List of 2 Voters:
Onderhond (#8)
Y U M E (#20)
Spoiler

You know, it sure looks like a film Onderhond would vote for.
:D

Tim2460 wrote: February 4th, 2021, 4:18 pm #123(NEW) Die Hamburger Krankheit (1979)
[The Hamburg Syndrome]
Spoiler
Directed by: Peter Fleischmann
(169,52 Pts, 3 Votes) , Top 1–10-50: ––2
Plot: The BRD is haunted by a mysterious, deadly plague. In Hamburg, a group of people head for an odyssey through the country to search for survivors and a rescue.
ICheckMovies: 21 Checks , 1 Favourites , 0 Official lists
List of 3 Voters:
beavis (#139)
Cinepolis (#20)
DudeLanez (#19)
Spoiler
Damn, wanted to watch this right in time for the renewed Covid lockdown, but didn't accomplish it. <_<
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

sol wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:57 pm I love the fact that this is a full top 250, Tim. (l) And Gloede, now would be the perfect time to publish a ratings scale podcast. :P
People have very different rating scales, that’s for sure
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

cinewest wrote: February 6th, 2021, 6:35 am
sol wrote: February 5th, 2021, 2:57 pm I love the fact that this is a full top 250, Tim. (l) And Gloede, now would be the perfect time to publish a ratings scale podcast. :P
People have very different rating scales, that’s for sure
We have recorded the episode already (pretty interesting discussion) but it is still in the editing phase. My comment was intended as in-joke with Gloede.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

Maybe that's how you recognize a cinephile : I feel like watching all of these intriguing movies....

Seen: 13/250
Highest unseen: #1 Connections
Highest voted for: #64 Dance Me to My Song

The Film I've seen I should have voted for :
#47 Mado (I didn't imagine it could have less than 50 votes, really... It's a rather well-known movie in France, at least for people over 30, it was shown on TV many times)
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

So far I have only looked at the Japanese ones, but I found 5 of my unwatched entries on this list available for free on amazon prime Japan.
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

Thanks Tim !

Seen: 38/250
Highest seen: #7 Au pan coupé
Favorites: 16/38
Highest favourite: #11 Absences répétées
Dislikes: 3/38
Highest dislike: #47 Mado

All Guy Gilles (l)
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Ebbywebby wrote: February 5th, 2021, 7:00 pm I'm adding some runtimes to the films in the complete poll results. Up to six, so far.
I think I've filled in 22 now.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

2/250, both of which I voted for and which wouldn’t have been on the list otherwise.

Glad we did this exercise because like others have said it’s quite humbling to see just how many loved films there are that have not been on my radar in any way. This is proof that there will always be good movies to watch as long as you spend the time to find them
zomgmouse

Post by zomgmouse »

Ok so not to be that guy but my list seems to have been included as ranked rather than unranked, which might change certain things. As it stands my personal list was ranked by fewest checks on ICM!

Also, I think I spotted at least one film with 50 checks, e.g. Daddy Nostalgie, which I deliberately didn't include in my list because it had 50...

But these are minor quibbles! Thanks for putting the list together. EDIT: Seen 7/250.
Last edited by zomgmouse on February 8th, 2021, 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

The zomgmouse is correct - its ranking wishes were considered a bit too fancy for the way the poll is calculated, so the conclusion was to take the list unranked, the list of the mouse (zomg!).

That's how it read in the nominations thread, to clear things up:
zomgmouse wrote: January 31st, 2021, 11:05 pm
joachimt wrote: January 31st, 2021, 3:53 pm
Tim2460 wrote: January 31st, 2021, 3:39 pm

What is that supposed to mean ??

1st one is a first "group" then 2 to 13 etc etc ... 4 Groups ?

If so i doubt it can work with the current ballot system
PA accepts group-ranked lists in his polls. Each title in a group received the average points of those ranks if the list was ranked. The script you're using doesn't have that option. PA uses a spreadsheet when he hosts.

So consider the above list unranked.
Yeah I know some lists accept groups of ranking "tiers" I suppose you'd call them - so if that is not the case then please feel free to do it as unranked.
(Or partially ranked with #1 as #1 and the rest unranked).

Sorry for the confusion!

Sometimes, confusion just happens, I guess. No need to be sorry. And then, sometimes, mistakes happen. Ah well.

Now someone can scan the Top 50 and Top 100 of zomg for titles that made our list? And else wouldn't have? It's not that I, personally, care so much about the 250 ... BUT! Maybe Lonewolf's #1 can make it into the Top 250 legitimately! :woot:
DulceDoes

Post by DulceDoes »

[The Axe of Wandsbek]
Whoa. Just when I had given up on this one showing up. :sweat: Awesome. :worship: I knew about peeps and blocho; didn't realise that Daviddoes was also a fan. This definitely needs to be more widely seen.
Oh yeah, I believe I watched it because it was being promoted for DTC. Were you the one promoting it?
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Daviddoes wrote: February 9th, 2021, 8:55 am
[The Axe of Wandsbek]
Oh yeah, I believe I watched it because it was being promoted for DTC. Were you the one promoting it?
Possibly yes. I know I'm the one who turned blocho and peeps onto the film. It might have well been through the DTC exercise, though I think one of them watched it after I logged in a German Challenge where it doubled as a Banned Film.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
Jimi Antiloop

Post by Jimi Antiloop »

Tim2460 wrote: February 4th, 2021, 9:48 am #160(NEW) T's World: The Over Identification of Terry Thompson (2013)

Directed by: Ramon Bloomberg
(154,92 Pts, 2 Votes) , Top 1–10-50: –1–2
Plot: ""Over the course of 15 years Terry Thompson collected tigers, lions, bears, and other exotic animals. He had a complicated relationship with the law, and his neighbours. T's World unpacks ...""
ICheckMovies: 2 Checks , 1 Favourites , 0 Official lists
List of 2 Voters:
72aicm (#8)
Jimi Antiloop (#33)

Let's move this to 3 Checks

It's availabale to watch here
https://vimeo.com/70174419
:ICM: :letbxd: :Crtiticker: Reality Checks on :imdb:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”― Philip K. Dick