Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

Rankdown III - TSPDT Top 100 - Round 10, ballot round!

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Post Reply
User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 6160
Joined: December 23rd, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#241

Post by Onderhond »

cinewest wrote: February 17th, 2021, 9:05 am My sense is that you will probably like Bergman even less in 15-20 years, given where you are with him now.
I think that's a fair bet :)
User avatar
RolandKirkSunglasses
Posts: 104
Joined: January 15th, 2021, 12:54 pm
Contact:

#242

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

I'm cutting The Night of the Hunter. I saw it a long time ago and wasn't impressed by it, has some nice cinematography but I didn't enjoy the storyline, some of the goofy moments near the end (Lillian Gish and Robert Mitchum duet) were a real turnoff.
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
8 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
10 Shichinin no samurai
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
18 La passion de Jeanne d'Arc
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
24 Les quatre cents coups
28 Some Like It Hot
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
36 Casablanca
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
43 The Night of the Hunter
44 La grande illusion
45 Ugetsu monogatari
46 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
56 M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder
58 North by Northwest
60 Metropolis
61 Smultronstället
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
72 Il gattopardo
73 Det sjunde inseglet
75 La battaglia di Algeri
76 The Gold Rush
78 The Magnificent Ambersons
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
92 Un condamné à mort s'est échappé ou Le vent souffle où il veut
95 A Woman Under the Influence
97 Greed
99 L'année dernière à Marienbad
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
1. Coryn - 1 veto remaining
2. beasterne - 1 veto remaining
3. Fergenaprido - 0 vetoes remaining
4. OldAle1 - 1 veto remaining
5. brokenface - 2 vetoes remaining
6. jeff_v - 2 vetoes remaining
7. Obgeoff - 1 veto remaining
8. blocho - 2 vetoes remaining
9. Onderhond - 1 veto remaining
10. perceval - 0 vetoes remaining
11. sol - 2 vetoes remaining
12. RolandKirkSunglasses - 1 veto remaining
13. toromash - 2 vetoes remaining
perceval
Posts: 810
Joined: September 25th, 2013, 6:00 am
Contact:

#243

Post by perceval »

I thought you were a friend RKS :(
User avatar
RolandKirkSunglasses
Posts: 104
Joined: January 15th, 2021, 12:54 pm
Contact:

#244

Post by RolandKirkSunglasses »

I disappoint everyone, eventually. :(
User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 2118
Joined: February 15th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#245

Post by cinewest »

perceval wrote: February 17th, 2021, 9:45 am There are a couple of films I consider but really need to rewatch them... Maybe I can rewatch one of them later but to not slow it down I cut The Godfather, to continue my gangster movie purge :sweat: well, it is a really well-made tense iconic film but most other films on the list simply give you more.
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
8 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
10 Shichinin no samurai
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
18 La passion de Jeanne d'Arc
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
24 Les quatre cents coups
28 Some Like It Hot
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
36 Casablanca
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
43 The Night of the Hunter
44 La grande illusion
45 Ugetsu monogatari
46 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
56 M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder
58 North by Northwest
60 Metropolis
61 Smultronstället
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
72 Il gattopardo
73 Det sjunde inseglet
75 La battaglia di Algeri
76 The Gold Rush
78 The Magnificent Ambersons
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
92 Un condamné à mort s'est échappé ou Le vent souffle où il veut
95 A Woman Under the Influence
97 Greed
99 L'année dernière à Marienbad
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
1. Coryn - 1 veto remaining
2. beasterne - 1 veto remaining
3. Fergenaprido - 0 vetoes remaining
4. OldAle1 - 1 veto remaining
5. brokenface - 2 vetoes remaining
6. jeff_v - 2 vetoes remaining
7. Obgeoff - 1 veto remaining
8. blocho - 2 vetoes remaining
9. Onderhond - 1 veto remaining
10. perceval - 0 vetoes remaining
11. sol - 2 vetoes remaining
12. RolandKirkSunglasses - 1 veto remaining
13. toromash - 2 vetoes remaining
Like To Be or Not to Be, Casablanca, and The General...
User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 2118
Joined: February 15th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#246

Post by cinewest »

sol wrote: February 17th, 2021, 9:49 am I'm cutting Seven Samurai again, of course. I love several of Kurosawa's films, from Drunken Angel to Dersu Uzala to Dreams. Sadly this isn't one of them.
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
8 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
10 Shichinin no samurai
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
18 La passion de Jeanne d'Arc
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
24 Les quatre cents coups
28 Some Like It Hot
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
36 Casablanca
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
43 The Night of the Hunter
44 La grande illusion
45 Ugetsu monogatari
46 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
56 M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder
58 North by Northwest
60 Metropolis
61 Smultronstället
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
72 Il gattopardo
73 Det sjunde inseglet
75 La battaglia di Algeri
76 The Gold Rush
78 The Magnificent Ambersons
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
92 Un condamné à mort s'est échappé ou Le vent souffle où il veut
95 A Woman Under the Influence
97 Greed
99 L'année dernière à Marienbad
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
1. Coryn - 1 veto remaining
2. beasterne - 1 veto remaining
3. Fergenaprido - 0 vetoes remaining
4. OldAle1 - 1 veto remaining
5. brokenface - 2 vetoes remaining
6. jeff_v - 2 vetoes remaining
7. Obgeoff - 1 veto remaining
8. blocho - 2 vetoes remaining
9. Onderhond - 1 veto remaining
10. perceval - 0 vetoes remaining
11. sol - 2 vetoes remaining
12. RolandKirkSunglasses - 1 veto remaining
13. toromash - 2 vetoes remaining
Stubborn, but consistent, Sol, if not a bit obsessive, considering....
User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 2118
Joined: February 15th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#247

Post by cinewest »

sol wrote: February 17th, 2021, 9:49 am I'm cutting Seven Samurai again, of course. I love several of Kurosawa's films, from Drunken Angel to Dersu Uzala to Dreams. Sadly this isn't one of them.
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
8 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
10 Shichinin no samurai
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
18 La passion de Jeanne d'Arc
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
24 Les quatre cents coups
28 Some Like It Hot
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
36 Casablanca
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
43 The Night of the Hunter
44 La grande illusion
45 Ugetsu monogatari
46 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
56 M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder
58 North by Northwest
60 Metropolis
61 Smultronstället
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
72 Il gattopardo
73 Det sjunde inseglet
75 La battaglia di Algeri
76 The Gold Rush
78 The Magnificent Ambersons
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
92 Un condamné à mort s'est échappé ou Le vent souffle où il veut
95 A Woman Under the Influence
97 Greed
99 L'année dernière à Marienbad
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
1. Coryn - 1 veto remaining
2. beasterne - 1 veto remaining
3. Fergenaprido - 0 vetoes remaining
4. OldAle1 - 1 veto remaining
5. brokenface - 2 vetoes remaining
6. jeff_v - 2 vetoes remaining
7. Obgeoff - 1 veto remaining
8. blocho - 2 vetoes remaining
9. Onderhond - 1 veto remaining
10. perceval - 0 vetoes remaining
11. sol - 2 vetoes remaining
12. RolandKirkSunglasses - 1 veto remaining
13. toromash - 2 vetoes remaining
Stubborn, but consistent, Sol, if not a bit obsessive, considering....
User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 2118
Joined: February 15th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#248

Post by cinewest »

The nice thing about the tsp list is that even though many of my favorites have been eliminated quite a few yet remain...
toromash
Posts: 171
Joined: September 9th, 2015, 6:00 am
Contact:

#249

Post by toromash »

"I'm cutting Casablanca. I saw it a long time ago and wasn't impressed by it, has some nice cinematography but I didn't enjoy the storyline". There is also the problem that i don't remember it that well, and i'm not a particular fan of Bogard.
User avatar
Coryn
Posts: 1505
Joined: December 5th, 2018, 2:53 pm
Contact:

#250

Post by Coryn »

Was considering to veto The Night of the Hunter
Since I only got one left I am going to leave it for now
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 2118
Joined: February 15th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#251

Post by cinewest »

brokenface wrote: February 17th, 2021, 9:32 am
cinewest wrote: February 17th, 2021, 2:30 amHave always preferred Chaplin to Keaton, for one thing...
Burn the witch :folded:
I’ve enjoyed a few Keaton shorts, but actually prefer Harold Lloyd for acrobatics, and think Chaplin is far superior. I will try Sherlock Jr. at some point, as I am always willing to give the purported greats another try at another time, but both Steamboat Bill and The General did very little for me.
User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 2118
Joined: February 15th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#252

Post by cinewest »

toromash wrote: February 17th, 2021, 11:58 am "I'm cutting Casablanca. I saw it a long time ago and wasn't impressed by it, has some nice cinematography but I didn't enjoy the storyline". There is also the problem that i don't remember it that well, and i'm not a particular fan of Bogard.
After that dismissive commentary I almost feel like defending the film, except that I would have cut it a while back, even though it’s a likable mainstream classic, with my favorite actor of that generation.
User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 2118
Joined: February 15th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#253

Post by cinewest »

Somebody please cut the last great Fellini remaining and put me out of my misery... better yet, I’ll have another shot of Baijiu....
User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13813
Joined: December 29th, 2011, 7:00 am
Contact:

#254

Post by brokenface »

cinewest wrote: February 17th, 2021, 12:45 pm
brokenface wrote: February 17th, 2021, 9:32 am
cinewest wrote: February 17th, 2021, 2:30 amHave always preferred Chaplin to Keaton, for one thing...
Burn the witch :folded:
I’ve enjoyed a few Keaton shorts, but actually prefer Harold Lloyd for acrobatics, and think Chaplin is far superior. I will try Sherlock Jr. at some point, as I am always willing to give the purported greats another try at another time, but both Steamboat Bill and The General did very little for me.
Well, it's all comedy primarily and we all have our own tastes on what is funnier. I generally favour deadpan and Keaton was the master at that. I like plenty of Chaplin and Lloyd but they never made me laugh as much.
User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13813
Joined: December 29th, 2011, 7:00 am
Contact:

#255

Post by brokenface »

I'm torn between two vetos, I'll go for Night of the Hunter, which has the perfect gothic noirish atmosphere that I adore.

And that 'duet' is not goofy! It's haunting and powerful moment :folded:
User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 10795
Joined: February 3rd, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#256

Post by sol »

brokenface wrote: February 17th, 2021, 1:27 pm I'm torn between two vetos, I'll go for Night of the Hunter, which has the perfect gothic noirish atmosphere that I adore.
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I absolutely love The Night of the Hunter. :wub:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 2118
Joined: February 15th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#257

Post by cinewest »

brokenface wrote: February 17th, 2021, 1:22 pm
cinewest wrote: February 17th, 2021, 12:45 pm
brokenface wrote: February 17th, 2021, 9:32 am

Burn the witch :folded:
I’ve enjoyed a few Keaton shorts, but actually prefer Harold Lloyd for acrobatics, and think Chaplin is far superior. I will try Sherlock Jr. at some point, as I am always willing to give the purported greats another try at another time, but both Steamboat Bill and The General did very little for me.
Well, it's all comedy primarily and we all have our own tastes on what is funnier. I generally favour deadpan and Keaton was the master at that. I like plenty of Chaplin and Lloyd but they never made me laugh as much.
I like a lot of deadpan comedy, particularly the Nordic kind, but, yeah, what’s funny is different for everyone, same as what compelling cinema is... a lot of it is cultural...
Last edited by cinewest on February 17th, 2021, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 6160
Joined: December 23rd, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#258

Post by Onderhond »

cinewest wrote: February 17th, 2021, 12:58 pm Somebody please cut the last great Fellini remaining and put me out of my misery... better yet, I’ll have another shot of Baijiu....
I don't think cutting Fellini will be enough to put you out of your misery :P
User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 2118
Joined: February 15th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#259

Post by cinewest »

Onderhond wrote: February 17th, 2021, 1:53 pm
cinewest wrote: February 17th, 2021, 12:58 pm Somebody please cut the last great Fellini remaining and put me out of my misery... better yet, I’ll have another shot of Baijiu....
I don't think cutting Fellini will be enough to put you out of your misery :P
You said that right. And on that note I’ll have another shot of Baijiu... I have dvd copies of roughly 1/3 on this list, and 2/3 of those still remain despite some favorites being taken out early
Last edited by cinewest on February 17th, 2021, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 5589
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#260

Post by OldAle1 »

No vetoes for me this round. Would like to save Stalker but have a couple of other films that I really love just as much that have been untouched so far, so will leave it to some other kind soul, or the vicissitudes of this evil game...
perceval
Posts: 810
Joined: September 25th, 2013, 6:00 am
Contact:

#261

Post by perceval »

cinewest wrote: February 17th, 2021, 11:38 am
perceval wrote: February 17th, 2021, 9:45 am There are a couple of films I consider but really need to rewatch them... Maybe I can rewatch one of them later but to not slow it down I cut The Godfather, to continue my gangster movie purge :sweat: well, it is a really well-made tense iconic film but most other films on the list simply give you more.
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
8 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
10 Shichinin no samurai
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
18 La passion de Jeanne d'Arc
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
24 Les quatre cents coups
28 Some Like It Hot
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
36 Casablanca
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
43 The Night of the Hunter
44 La grande illusion
45 Ugetsu monogatari
46 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
56 M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder
58 North by Northwest
60 Metropolis
61 Smultronstället
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
72 Il gattopardo
73 Det sjunde inseglet
75 La battaglia di Algeri
76 The Gold Rush
78 The Magnificent Ambersons
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
92 Un condamné à mort s'est échappé ou Le vent souffle où il veut
95 A Woman Under the Influence
97 Greed
99 L'année dernière à Marienbad
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
1. Coryn - 1 veto remaining
2. beasterne - 1 veto remaining
3. Fergenaprido - 0 vetoes remaining
4. OldAle1 - 1 veto remaining
5. brokenface - 2 vetoes remaining
6. jeff_v - 2 vetoes remaining
7. Obgeoff - 1 veto remaining
8. blocho - 2 vetoes remaining
9. Onderhond - 1 veto remaining
10. perceval - 0 vetoes remaining
11. sol - 2 vetoes remaining
12. RolandKirkSunglasses - 1 veto remaining
13. toromash - 2 vetoes remaining
Like To Be or Not to Be, Casablanca, and The General...
Not my favorite Keaton or Lubitsch, but still better than The Godfather I think... Casablanca is a film I considered to cut for several rounds.

And brokenface who cut some of my favorites are now saving The Night of the Hunter :poshclap: you are forgiven.
User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 5589
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#262

Post by OldAle1 »

I don't really remember To Be or Not to Be that well - though I think I've seen it twice - so I might well pick that for cutting before I'd pick The Godfather, but Casablanca and The General I'd put above anything Coppola's done, easily.
User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 2118
Joined: February 15th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#263

Post by cinewest »

Noirish / suspense dramas seem to be winning the day, so far, as are films ranked in the 30’s, perhaps slightly out of the limelight and thus escaping those eager to make a big splash.
User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 2118
Joined: February 15th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#264

Post by cinewest »

If we’re talking only English language filmmakers, Coppola would be in my top 5 for sure, and on the basis of really only 5 films.
I’d probably have to put Kubrick #1, and follow up with Welles, Coppola, Malick, and probably Lynch. My second 5 would be Lean, Kazan. The Coen Brothers, PTA, and either Hitchcock or John Huston.
beasterne
Posts: 683
Joined: May 22nd, 2013, 6:00 am
Contact:

#265

Post by beasterne »

We're on a break for vetoes! Here are the movies that can be vetoed this round:

58. Ugetsu monogatari (1953), cut by Coryn
57. Stalker (1979), cut by beasterne
56. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928), cut by Fergenaprido
55. North By Northwest (1959), cut by OldAle1
54. Some Like It Hot (1959), cut by brokenface
53. The Gold Rush (1925), cut by jeff_v
52. Greed (1924), cut by Obgeoff
51. Il Gattopardo (1963), cut by blocho
50. Smultronstället (1957), cut by Onderhond
49. The Godfather (1972), cut by perceval
48. Seven Samurai (1954), cut by sol
47. Casablanca (1943), cut by toromash
User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 6160
Joined: December 23rd, 2012, 7:00 am
Contact:

#266

Post by Onderhond »

cinewest wrote: February 17th, 2021, 4:25 pm If we’re talking only English language filmmakers, Coppola would be in my top 5 for sure, and on the basis of really only 5 films.
I’d probably have to put Kubrick #1, and follow up with Welles, Coppola, Malick, and probably Lynch. My second 5 would be Lean, Kazan. The Coen Brothers, PTA, and either Hitchcock or John Huston.
Are you a person or a statistical average? :whistling:
beasterne
Posts: 683
Joined: May 22nd, 2013, 6:00 am
Contact:

#267

Post by beasterne »

I was hoping that someone else would come in with a veto before I had to use my second one, but since it's not happening I am going to veto The Godfather. We lost that one pretty early in the first rankdown and I want it to hang around for a bit longer in this game :)

Shoutout to Some Like It Hot, Il Gattopardo, and Casablanca, which I also considered for a veto but ultimately decided against.
User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 2118
Joined: February 15th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#268

Post by cinewest »

Onderhond wrote: February 17th, 2021, 5:40 pm
cinewest wrote: February 17th, 2021, 4:25 pm If we’re talking only English language filmmakers, Coppola would be in my top 5 for sure, and on the basis of really only 5 films.
I’d probably have to put Kubrick #1, and follow up with Welles, Coppola, Malick, and probably Lynch. My second 5 would be Lean, Kazan. The Coen Brothers, PTA, and either Hitchcock or John Huston.
Are you a person or a statistical average? :whistling:
There’s a reason why these filmmakers are so respected. There were no better in English when they were at their best. And They were not only ambitious trailblazers, but exemplary craftsman who pushed the artistic boundaries of narrative cinema. And even as they are mostly revisionists (in the broadest sense) they were/are true originals at the forefront of their generation of filmmakers.

Nothing to do with being statistically average. In fact, none of the films on this list really are, even though I think some of them are overrated, and this Rankdown is showing that some are sorely unappreciated by various players.
Last edited by cinewest on February 18th, 2021, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
toromash
Posts: 171
Joined: September 9th, 2015, 6:00 am
Contact:

#269

Post by toromash »

Oh i forgot. Have to veto Stalker
User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 5114
Joined: June 3rd, 2014, 6:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#270

Post by Fergenaprido »

I have no vetoes left, but still sad to see Seven Samurai go, though it goes with other heavy hitters this round, assuming it (or they) doesn't get saved. At least I managed to keep it around until (almost) the halfway point.
beasterne
Posts: 683
Joined: May 22nd, 2013, 6:00 am
Contact:

#271

Post by beasterne »

Round 6 has begun! We are now officially in the top half, with each of these films avoiding being cut for 5 rounds. Already this is a very strong list, and I'm excited to see what happens next. Coryn, you're up first.
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
8 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
24 Les quatre cents coups
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
43 The Night of the Hunter
44 La grande illusion
46 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
56 M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder
60 Metropolis
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
73 Det sjunde inseglet
75 La battaglia di Algeri
78 The Magnificent Ambersons
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
92 Un condamné à mort s'est échappé ou Le vent souffle où il veut
95 A Woman Under the Influence
99 L'année dernière à Marienbad
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
1. Coryn - 1 veto remaining
2. beasterne - 0 vetoes remaining
3. Fergenaprido - 0 vetoes remaining
4. OldAle1 - 1 veto remaining
5. brokenface - 2 vetoes remaining
6. jeff_v - 2 vetoes remaining
7. Obgeoff - 1 veto remaining
8. blocho - 2 vetoes remaining
9. Onderhond - 1 veto remaining
10. perceval - 0 vetoes remaining
11. sol - 2 vetoes remaining
12. RolandKirkSunglasses - 1 veto remaining
13. toromash - 1 veto remaining
Last edited by beasterne on February 18th, 2021, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 5589
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#272

Post by OldAle1 »

Half of the top 10 and half of the bottom 10 still survive. Nice symmetry.
User avatar
Coryn
Posts: 1505
Joined: December 5th, 2018, 2:53 pm
Contact:

#273

Post by Coryn »

I'm cutting L'avventura (1960)

It felt so long and pointless. Even Monica Vitti couldn't save this movie in my opinion.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
beasterne
Posts: 683
Joined: May 22nd, 2013, 6:00 am
Contact:

#274

Post by beasterne »

L'Avventura was another cut I was considering, that's two rounds in a row Coryn!

So then for my cut, I'll go with The Magnificent Ambersons. I liked this well enough at the time when I watched it, but it's just a couple years later and I've forgotten everything about this movie except that I remember thinking Joseph Cotten did well in his role. So, this is getting cut because it's the least memorable movie of the ones that are left for me.
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
8 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
24 Les quatre cents coups
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
43 The Night of the Hunter
44 La grande illusion
46 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
56 M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder
60 Metropolis
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
73 Det sjunde inseglet
75 La battaglia di Algeri
78 The Magnificent Ambersons
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
92 Un condamné à mort s'est échappé ou Le vent souffle où il veut
95 A Woman Under the Influence
99 L'année dernière à Marienbad
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
1. Coryn - 1 veto remaining
2. beasterne - 0 vetoes remaining
3. Fergenaprido - 0 vetoes remaining
4. OldAle1 - 1 veto remaining
5. brokenface - 2 vetoes remaining
6. jeff_v - 2 vetoes remaining
7. Obgeoff - 1 veto remaining
8. blocho - 2 vetoes remaining
9. Onderhond - 1 veto remaining
10. perceval - 0 vetoes remaining
11. sol - 2 vetoes remaining
12. RolandKirkSunglasses - 1 veto remaining
13. toromash - 1 veto remaining
User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 5114
Joined: June 3rd, 2014, 6:00 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

#275

Post by Fergenaprido »

I'm cutting The Night of the Hunter. I found it just average when I watched it a few years ago. I thought of cutting something else that hasn't already been cut once, but it was my planned cut for this round anyway, and the only other film I rated the same (7.0) I saw 15+ years ago and deserves a second chance.
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
8 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
24 Les quatre cents coups
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
43 The Night of the Hunter
44 La grande illusion
46 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
56 M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder
60 Metropolis
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
73 Det sjunde inseglet
75 La battaglia di Algeri
78 The Magnificent Ambersons
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
92 Un condamné à mort s'est échappé ou Le vent souffle où il veut
95 A Woman Under the Influence
99 L'année dernière à Marienbad
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
1. Coryn - 1 veto remaining
2. beasterne - 0 vetoes remaining
3. Fergenaprido - 0 vetoes remaining
4. OldAle1 - 1 veto remaining
5. brokenface - 2 vetoes remaining
6. jeff_v - 2 vetoes remaining
7. Obgeoff - 1 veto remaining
8. blocho - 2 vetoes remaining
9. Onderhond - 1 veto remaining
10. perceval - 0 vetoes remaining
11. sol - 2 vetoes remaining
12. RolandKirkSunglasses - 1 veto remaining
13. toromash - 1 veto remaining
User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 5589
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 7:00 am
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#276

Post by OldAle1 »

I will go with In the Mood for Love for a second time. I'm boring.
User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13813
Joined: December 29th, 2011, 7:00 am
Contact:

#277

Post by brokenface »

I'll go with Jules et Jim. it's got some iconic nouvelle vague moments but overall the characters never really grabbed me, it's verges on cloying and it's far from my favourite Truffaut

Also corrected my veto count, much as I'd like to still have 2
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
8 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
24 Les quatre cents coups
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
43 The Night of the Hunter
44 La grande illusion
46 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
56 M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder
60 Metropolis
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
73 Det sjunde inseglet
75 La battaglia di Algeri
78 The Magnificent Ambersons
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
92 Un condamné à mort s'est échappé ou Le vent souffle où il veut
95 A Woman Under the Influence
99 L'année dernière à Marienbad
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
1. Coryn - 1 veto remaining
2. beasterne - 0 vetoes remaining
3. Fergenaprido - 0 vetoes remaining
4. OldAle1 - 1 veto remaining
5. brokenface - 1 veto remaining
6. jeff_v - 2 vetoes remaining
7. Obgeoff - 1 veto remaining
8. blocho - 2 vetoes remaining
9. Onderhond - 1 veto remaining
10. perceval - 0 vetoes remaining
11. sol - 2 vetoes remaining
12. RolandKirkSunglasses - 1 veto remaining
13. toromash - 1 veto remaining
User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 2118
Joined: February 15th, 2017, 7:00 am
Contact:

#278

Post by cinewest »

A bunch of my favorites (L’avventura, Mood For Love, and Jules & Jim nixed in that onslaught) all prettt much about both the allure and the frustrations of romance and romantic notions about life, though each explores other things, as well.

All are also about a particular time and place, and mood, but while L’Avventura delves into the alienation and fractures being caused by modernity, J &J dives into the tragic urge to be free from society’s constraints and was based on a short novel that also captures the feeling of this time period.

All 3 are pitch perfect films for me, and in my own top 50
jeff_v
Posts: 1106
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 6:00 am
Location: Another Place
Contact:

#279

Post by jeff_v »

My cut is Ordet, for the lame reason that it's been a long time since I've seen it, and I remember being underwhelmed in comparison to the other remaining films on the list.
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
8 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
24 Les quatre cents coups
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
43 The Night of the Hunter
44 La grande illusion
46 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
56 M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder
60 Metropolis
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
73 Det sjunde inseglet
75 La battaglia di Algeri
78 The Magnificent Ambersons
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
92 Un condamné à mort s'est échappé ou Le vent souffle où il veut
95 A Woman Under the Influence
99 L'année dernière à Marienbad
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
1. Coryn - 1 veto remaining
2. beasterne - 0 vetoes remaining
3. Fergenaprido - 0 vetoes remaining
4. OldAle1 - 1 veto remaining
5. brokenface - 1 veto remaining
6. jeff_v - 2 vetoes remaining
7. Obgeoff - 1 veto remaining
8. blocho - 2 vetoes remaining
9. Onderhond - 1 veto remaining
10. perceval - 0 vetoes remaining
11. sol - 2 vetoes remaining
12. RolandKirkSunglasses - 1 veto remaining
13. toromash - 1 veto remaining
Obgeoff
Posts: 592
Joined: May 29th, 2019, 9:23 am
Contact:

#280

Post by Obgeoff »

I’ll get an immediate veto in on Ordet and will note down jeff_v in my list of eternal enemies.

My cut is unfortunately Close-Up / Nema-ye Nazdik. I say unfortunate as Kiarostami is a great filmmaker. I admired this film more than I enjoyed the experience of watching it. The multiple layers of identity and meaning didn’t engage me the way it does for the supporters of the film.
Image
Post Reply