Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

Rankdown III - TSPDT Top 100 - Round 10, ballot round!

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Onderhond wrote: February 14th, 2021, 9:01 am Let's go for a film I watched not so long ago. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is one of Ford's first films, and that's a pretty low bar to start with.
Did you mean one of Ford's last films? It's from 1962, and his directing career started in 1917. I also don't get the connection to a low bar.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Fergenaprido wrote: February 14th, 2021, 7:53 pm
Onderhond wrote: February 14th, 2021, 9:01 am Let's go for a film I watched not so long ago. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is one of Ford's first films, and that's a pretty low bar to start with.
Did you mean one of Ford's last films? It's from 1962, and his directing career started in 1917. I also don't get the connection to a low bar.
I was confused for a sec too, but I think by first he means highest-ranked.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Worst! Not sure why I typed first :)
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Oops, bad guess.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

So yeah, I'm saving In The Mood For Love from the chop block. I could've played one other film, but my heart isn't as much into that one. Also, I screencapped 2046 just last week and man ... WKW + Doyle
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Onderhond wrote: February 15th, 2021, 10:10 am So yeah, I'm saving In The Mood For Love from the chop block. I could've played one other film, but my heart isn't as much into that one. Also, I screencapped 2046 just last week and man ... WKW + Doyle
Good lord, Onderhond! We've just struck a double chord on two films in a row. This is a great film, for sure, one that doesn't miss a beat. It might be interesting to do a comparison and contrast with a masterpiece like In The Mood For Love and an attempt like La La Land, another dreamy romantic film that delves into mood and a sense of place, as well as the sorrow of two souls connecting, yet passing in the night, even imagining what might have been.
Last edited by cinewest on February 15th, 2021, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

cinewest wrote: February 15th, 2021, 10:44 am
Onderhond wrote: February 15th, 2021, 10:10 am So yeah, I'm saving In The Mood For Love from the chop block. I could've played one other film, but my heart isn't as much into that one. Also, I screencapped 2046 just last week and man ... WKW + Doyle
Good lord, Onderhond! We've just struck a double chord on two films in a row. This is a great film, for sure, one that doesn't miss a beat. It might be interesting to do a comparison and contrast with a masterpiece like In The Mood For Love and an attempt like La La Land, another dreamy romantic film that delves into a sense of place and the sorrow of two souls connecting, yet passing in the night, even imagining what might have been.
You're such a sneak, getting La La Land involved :D

I'm pretty sure that when TSPDT had bigger Asian representation ITMFL would be even higher up in the chart. It's insane the clout WKW has among Asian film fans (and not just this film).
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Onderhond wrote: February 15th, 2021, 11:10 am
cinewest wrote: February 15th, 2021, 10:44 am
Good lord, Onderhond! We've just struck a double chord on two films in a row. This is a great film, for sure, one that doesn't miss a beat. It might be interesting to do a comparison and contrast with a masterpiece like In The Mood For Love and an attempt like La La Land, another dreamy romantic film that delves into a sense of place and the sorrow of two souls connecting, yet passing in the night, even imagining what might have been.
You're such a sneak, getting La La Land involved :D

I'm pretty sure that when TSPDT had bigger Asian representation ITMFL would be even higher up in the chart. It's insane the clout WKW has among Asian film fans (and not just this film).
:shifty: It seemed fitting,

As for Wong, some of my Chinese colleagues in Beijing can't make heads or tails of him, and I work with people in advertising. Prior to the COVID outbreak, he was supposed to be doing a TV series set in my home town of San Francisco, called Tong Wars that spans 20th century Chinatown, but he seems to have dropped the project and is working on another series set in 1990's Shanghai called Blossoms.

Still in shock over our back to back concordance, here :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Since we're talking about Asian cinema and it's been 24 hours since the last cut, let's see what kind of backlash I'll get for this:

Ugetsu monogatari (1953)

Seen this one recently and it's simply a genre I don't enjoy. The only movie I actually liked from the samurai genre until now has been Seppuku.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

cinewest wrote: February 15th, 2021, 11:53 am As for Wong, some of my Chinese colleagues in Beijing can't make heads or tails of him, and I work with people in advertising. Prior to the COVID outbreak, he was supposed to be doing a TV series set in my home town of San Francisco, called Tong Wars that spans 20th century Chinatown, but he seems to have dropped the project and is working on another series set in 1990's Shanghai called Blossoms.
WKW is notorious for being very fickle, that much is certain. It's a shame he's gone to the dark side (TV) though, not in the least interested in these projects.
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Onderhond wrote: February 15th, 2021, 12:56 pm
cinewest wrote: February 15th, 2021, 11:53 am As for Wong, some of my Chinese colleagues in Beijing can't make heads or tails of him, and I work with people in advertising. Prior to the COVID outbreak, he was supposed to be doing a TV series set in my home town of San Francisco, called Tong Wars that spans 20th century Chinatown, but he seems to have dropped the project and is working on another series set in 1990's Shanghai called Blossoms.
WKW is notorious for being very fickle, that much is certain. It's a shame he's gone to the dark side (TV) though, not in the least interested in these projects.
That’s where the money and exposure are these days, as well as opportunity to do more ambitious projects, and quite a few well known filmmakers, even arthouse ones, are jumping in.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

cinewest wrote: February 15th, 2021, 2:33 pm That’s where the money and exposure are these days, as well as opportunity to do more ambitious projects, and quite a few well known filmmakers, even arthouse ones, are jumping in.
I understand that's the theory, but it would be nice to actually see some proof of that (re:ambitious). Very few of these series are cinematic, mostly are extremely narrative-focused.
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Onderhond wrote: February 15th, 2021, 2:42 pm
cinewest wrote: February 15th, 2021, 2:33 pm That’s where the money and exposure are these days, as well as opportunity to do more ambitious projects, and quite a few well known filmmakers, even arthouse ones, are jumping in.
I understand that's the theory, but it would be nice to actually see some proof of that (re:ambitious). Very few of these series are cinematic, mostly are extremely narrative-focused.
[/quote

Have you seen The Young Pope?

I also liked the first season of True Detective, and I think both offered a cinematic upgrade to what plays on TV. David Lynch, nils Winding Refn and others have also brought cinematic qualities to television.

Of course, the chance to develop more expansive narratives is also a draw for many filmmaker
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Coryn wrote: February 15th, 2021, 12:43 pm Since we're talking about Asian cinema and it's been 24 hours since the last cut, let's see what kind of backlash I'll get for this:

Ugetsu monogatari (1953)

Seen this one recently and it's simply a genre I don't enjoy. The only movie I actually liked from the samurai genre until now has been Seppuku.
I wouldn’t really call Ugetsu a Samurai movie... but if you are not going to go further in your criticism there is probably no point in trying to defend the film
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

cinewest wrote: February 15th, 2021, 2:52 pm and I think both offered a cinematic upgrade to what plays on TV.
Myeah, that's not enough for me I'm afraid. :)

Haven't seen the two you mentioned, I did see old Twin Peaks and that simply wasn't good enough. Not even close.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Coryn wrote: February 15th, 2021, 12:43 pm Since we're talking about Asian cinema and it's been 24 hours since the last cut, let's see what kind of backlash I'll get for this:

Ugetsu monogatari (1953)

This was a cut I was considering. Since it's off the table I am going back to cutting Stalker. It's my least favorite of the remaining films, so it has to go :shrug:

re: The Young Pope, I quite enjoyed that one and it certainly has a cinematic quality that sets it apart from other made-for-television series.
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
8 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
10 Shichinin no samurai
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
18 La passion de Jeanne d'Arc
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
24 Les quatre cents coups
28 Some Like It Hot
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
36 Casablanca
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
43 The Night of the Hunter
44 La grande illusion
45 Ugetsu monogatari
46 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
56 M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder
58 North by Northwest
60 Metropolis
61 Smultronstället
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
72 Il gattopardo
73 Det sjunde inseglet
75 La battaglia di Algeri
76 The Gold Rush
78 The Magnificent Ambersons
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
92 Un condamné à mort s'est échappé ou Le vent souffle où il veut
95 A Woman Under the Influence
97 Greed
99 L'année dernière à Marienbad
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
1. Coryn - 1 veto remaining
2. beasterne - 1 veto remaining
3. Fergenaprido - 0 vetoes remaining
4. OldAle1 - 1 veto remaining
5. brokenface - 2 vetoes remaining
6. jeff_v - 2 vetoes remaining
7. Obgeoff - 1 veto remaining
8. blocho - 2 vetoes remaining
9. Onderhond - 1 veto remaining
10. perceval - 0 vetoes remaining
11. sol - 2 vetoes remaining
12. RolandKirkSunglasses - 1 veto remaining
13. toromash - 2 vetoes remaining
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

I spoke about Ugetsu before. The part that annoys me the most with 50 and 60's Japan movies (Ugetsu, Seven Samurai, ...) is the way of acting in these movies. When watching movies I read up a lot on them as to be able to appreciate what the movie is trying to do or what meaning it has had in the history of the medium itself but I don't take this into account when rating them. I rate movies according to what impact they have had on me and Ugetsu annoyed me, the good script couldn't save the movie for me.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

beasterne wrote: February 15th, 2021, 5:35 pm re: The Young Pope, I quite enjoyed that one and it certainly has a cinematic quality that sets it apart from other made-for-television series.
But does it have cinematic qualities that can compete with the better films? Or exceed really, since you'll be spending way longer with a series than with a film.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I'm cutting The Passion of Joan of Arc. Finally saw it a few years ago and didn't get all the hype. Stylized, for sure, but perhaps a bit too much for my liking. Not a fan.
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
10 Shichinin no samurai
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
28 Some Like It Hot
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
36 Casablanca
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
44 La grande illusion
45 Ugetsu monogatari
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
58 North by Northwest
60 Metropolis
61 Smultronstället
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
72 Il gattopardo
73 Det sjunde inseglet
76 The Gold Rush
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
97 Greed
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Hmm. A lot of my less-favorites are gone now, and I don't feel like re-trying the WKW film just yet - I wouldn't be surprised if it gets support from someone besides Onderhond as well. Saved for later. Most everything left is a serious favorite or at least something I admire, so for this round I'll just go with a film that I've grown just a wee bit tired of - I still find it entertaining and enjoyable, and well made in most respects, but I don't much have any desire to see it again soon, unlike a lot of other films on the list. Maybe it's just a case of familiarity breeding (slight) contempt? Anyway, the film is North by Northwest.
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
10 Shichinin no samurai
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
28 Some Like It Hot
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
36 Casablanca
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
44 La grande illusion
45 Ugetsu monogatari
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
58 North by Northwest
60 Metropolis
61 Smultronstället
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
72 Il gattopardo
73 Det sjunde inseglet
76 The Gold Rush
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
97 Greed
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

OldAle1 wrote: February 15th, 2021, 9:28 pm and I don't feel like re-trying the WKW film just yet
Not really an option is it, I just vetoed the film :D
Last edited by Onderhond on February 15th, 2021, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Onderhond wrote: February 15th, 2021, 9:31 pm
OldAle1 wrote: February 15th, 2021, 9:28 pm and I don't feel like re-trying the WKW film just yet
Not really and option isn't it, I just vetoed the film :D
I guess I'm getting mixed up with rounds.
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

I'll cut one I think I also cut in a previous round of this game: Some Like it Hot. It's a comedy that doesn't make me laugh enough to stay on any longer
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
10 Shichinin no samurai
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
28 Some Like It Hot
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
36 Casablanca
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
44 La grande illusion
45 Ugetsu monogatari
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
58 North by Northwest
60 Metropolis
61 Smultronstället
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
72 Il gattopardo
73 Det sjunde inseglet
76 The Gold Rush
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
97 Greed
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Coryn wrote: February 15th, 2021, 5:46 pm I spoke about Ugetsu before. The part that annoys me the most with 50 and 60's Japan movies (Ugetsu, Seven Samurai, ...) is the way of acting in these movies. When watching movies I read up a lot on them as to be able to appreciate what the movie is trying to do or what meaning it has had in the history of the medium itself but I don't take this into account when rating them. I rate movies according to what impact they have had on me and Ugetsu annoyed me, the good script couldn't save the movie for me.
Sounds like a cultural issue, but Yeah. The all around corniness of old Hollywood movies causes me to downgrade many of them, even though I realize it was the style of the times.
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Interesting that films from #71-80 are doing as well or better than films higher up. Even films from #91-100 are doing better than most higher groups.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

cinewest wrote: February 16th, 2021, 10:42 am Interesting that films from #71-80 are doing as well or better than films higher up. Even films from #91-100 are doing better than most higher groups.
Pure conjecture, but it might be that not everyone is scanning the entire list, rather scan the list from the top until they find a suitable candidate?
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Some Like It Hot is a movie I rated 10/10 although a rewatch would probably move it to an 8 or maybe a low 9. It is probably the first movie that proved me there were good comedies made before the 70s. Sad to see The Passion of Joan of Arc go as well, might be my favorite silent.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

I hate cancel culture, but if Some Like It Hot would fall prey to the movement I'd probably keep my mouth strategically shut.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Onderhond wrote: February 16th, 2021, 11:28 am I hate cancel culture, but if Some Like It Hot would fall prey to the movement I'd probably keep my mouth strategically shut.
So you could be part of the underground movement that appreciates amazing canceled movies, I see :whistling:
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Coryn wrote: February 16th, 2021, 12:02 pm So you could be part of the underground movement that appreciates amazing canceled movies, I see :whistling:
I'll put it on the shelf next to my De Kampioenen DVDs. :ph43r:
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Onderhond wrote: February 16th, 2021, 12:41 pm
Coryn wrote: February 16th, 2021, 12:02 pm So you could be part of the underground movement that appreciates amazing canceled movies, I see :whistling:
I'll put it on the shelf next to my De Kampioenen DVDs. :ph43r:
Now you're going too far :lol:
jeff_v

Post by jeff_v »

I'll cut The Gold Rush, and allow Chaplin to watch from the sidelines. I like almost all the films left, and am just trying to think what would make the most interesting final list.
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
10 Shichinin no samurai
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
28 Some Like It Hot
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
36 Casablanca
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
44 La grande illusion
45 Ugetsu monogatari
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
58 North by Northwest
60 Metropolis
61 Smultronstället
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
72 Il gattopardo
73 Det sjunde inseglet
76 The Gold Rush
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
97 Greed
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff »

I’m cutting Greed. Some exceptional moments, particularly in the desert. However, it’s not coherent and pace is an issue. Obviously not the fault of the restorers - it’s just a shame we don’t have the autograph version to experience.
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
10 Shichinin no samurai
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
28 Some Like It Hot
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
36 Casablanca
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
44 La grande illusion
45 Ugetsu monogatari
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
58 North by Northwest
60 Metropolis
61 Smultronstället
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
72 Il gattopardo
73 Det sjunde inseglet
76 The Gold Rush
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
97 Greed
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

I'm cutting Il Gattopardo, a decent movie that certainly looks nice with its costume and production design. My main problem is that I didn't find the main themes of the movie compelling in any way, nor the main character despite Lancaster's energetic performance.

remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
10 Shichinin no samurai
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
28 Some Like It Hot
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
36 Casablanca
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
44 La grande illusion
45 Ugetsu monogatari
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
58 North by Northwest
60 Metropolis
61 Smultronstället
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
72 Il gattopardo
73 Det sjunde inseglet
76 The Gold Rush
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
97 Greed
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

I'm cutting Smultronstället next. I felt at least 60 years too young when I watched this film for the first time (with is about 16 years to go, so that means I've got another 45 yeras to go before I'll give it a second chance). It's an old film about an old man who reminisces about old times. While it appears to be dealing with BIG themes, it felt like Bergman never got beyond the BIG clichés about aging. I also very much dislike Bergman's aesthetic, though that seems be a broader issue I'm having with classic Swedish cinema.

For reference, Persona is the closest I've ever come to liking a Bergman film, but even that one is hanging at just 2/5.
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
10 Shichinin no samurai
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
28 Some Like It Hot
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
36 Casablanca
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
44 La grande illusion
45 Ugetsu monogatari
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
58 North by Northwest
60 Metropolis
61 Smultronstället
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
72 Il gattopardo
73 Det sjunde inseglet
76 The Gold Rush
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
97 Greed
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Do people really like To Be or Not to Be, The General, and Casablanca this much?

I enjoyed all of them well enough but not compared to many that have already been cut. Have always preferred Chaplin to Keaton, for one thing...
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

Onderhond wrote: February 16th, 2021, 11:47 pm I'm cutting Smultronstället next. I felt at least 60 years too young when I watched this film for the first time (with is about 16 years to go, so that means I've got another 45 yeras to go before I'll give it a second chance). It's an old film about an old man who reminisces about old times. While it appears to be dealing with BIG themes, it felt like Bergman never got beyond the BIG clichés about aging. I also very much dislike Bergman's aesthetic, though that seems be a broader issue I'm having with classic Swedish cinema.

For reference, Persona is the closest I've ever come to liking a Bergman film, but even that one is hanging at just 2/5.
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
10 Shichinin no samurai
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
28 Some Like It Hot
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
36 Casablanca
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
44 La grande illusion
45 Ugetsu monogatari
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
58 North by Northwest
60 Metropolis
61 Smultronstället
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
72 Il gattopardo
73 Det sjunde inseglet
76 The Gold Rush
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
97 Greed
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
My sense is that you will probably like Bergman even less in 15-20 years, given where you are with him now.
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

cinewest wrote: February 17th, 2021, 2:30 amHave always preferred Chaplin to Keaton, for one thing...
Burn the witch :folded:
perceval

Post by perceval »

There are a couple of films I consider but really need to rewatch them... Maybe I can rewatch one of them later but to not slow it down I cut The Godfather, to continue my gangster movie purge :sweat: well, it is a really well-made tense iconic film but most other films on the list simply give you more.
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
10 Shichinin no samurai
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
28 Some Like It Hot
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
36 Casablanca
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
44 La grande illusion
45 Ugetsu monogatari
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
58 North by Northwest
60 Metropolis
61 Smultronstället
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
72 Il gattopardo
73 Det sjunde inseglet
76 The Gold Rush
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
97 Greed
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

I'm cutting Seven Samurai again, of course. I love several of Kurosawa's films, from Drunken Angel to Dersu Uzala to Dreams. Sadly this isn't one of them.
remaining films
1 Citizen Kane
2 Vertigo
4 La règle du jeu
7 The Godfather
10 Shichinin no samurai
11 Apocalypse Now
13 Ladri di biciclette
15 Taxi Driver
17 L'Atalante
19 Persona
21 Rashômon
22 Psycho
28 Some Like It Hot
29 Zerkalo
30 La dolce vita
31 Touch of Evil
33 Sunset Blvd.
34 Au hasard Balthazar
35 Ordet
36 Casablanca
37 L'avventura
39 The General
41 Rear Window
42 Faa young nin wa
44 La grande illusion
45 Ugetsu monogatari
47 The Third Man
50 Mulholland Dr.
52 Stalker
53 Fanny och Alexander
55 Chinatown
58 North by Northwest
60 Metropolis
61 Smultronstället
66 Viridiana
71 Shoah
72 Il gattopardo
73 Det sjunde inseglet
76 The Gold Rush
80 Banshun
81 Nema-ye Nazdik
82 Jules et Jim
89 Blue Velvet
91 Sanshô dayû
97 Greed
100 To Be or Not to Be
Selection Order
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image