Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

Rankdown III - TSPDT Top 100 - Congrats to the winner!

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Vertigo 3
Persona 1
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Abstain.

Honestly, I don't know if I could have hoped for a better top two. :wub:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Vertigo 4
Persona 1
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

I could see Vertigo was probably going to make the final before we got half way into the game, as it brings together so much of what this group of voters seem to prize

Pretty much guessed it would wind up as Vertigo / Persona once the voting round began.

And this is another matchup of contrasts: one film a 50’s crime genre melodrama (made by the most popular director of its kind) who gets the most out of the stylistic limitations he adheres to (Readers Digest psychology and objectified female included), and the other film made less than a decade later, at roughly the same time in Bergman’s career, by an auteur filmmaker (who i’ve seen more great films by than any other) that has become more and more cinematic and experimental in the 60’s, while yet continuing to dive deeper into the psychology of his characters, who are very real and alive (sorry Ale, Kim Novak can’t hold a candle to Liv Ullmann as an actress).

Would make for an interesting double feature, even as they are not operating with the same artistic intentions, and have very different cinematic styles

I’ve had fun tagging along and, giving a bunch of you a hard time throughout the game, one that Sol clearly had in his hands before he wasted his two vetoes (can’t believe that nobody saved their vetoes until the voting round). Best plays clearly made by OldAle and Coryn by saving the two films that are left.

What I have enjoyed most are the personal stories connected to beloved films by Prodigal Son (another non player, who has actually prompted me to revisit Vertigo through a different lens at some point), and OldAle (particularly his commentary on Stalker and how he connected to it by way of an area located in his own city).
Last edited by cinewest on March 6th, 2021, 1:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Vertigo 4
Persona 2
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

sol wrote: March 5th, 2021, 1:13 pm Abstain.

Despite wasting your vetoes perhaps you have won after all :cheers:
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

cinewest wrote: March 5th, 2021, 3:15 pm

Yep. Feels that way. The final two films are both movies in my all-time top 30. I'm stoked. :party: And I wouldn't have used up both my vetoes if there was anything left that I didn't want to see win; besides, it seemed like a nice good faith type gesture to level the playing field going into the final rounds.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

sol wrote: March 5th, 2021, 3:35 pm
cinewest wrote: March 5th, 2021, 3:15 pm

Yep. Feels that way. The final two films are both movies in my all-time top 30. I'm stoked. :party: And I wouldn't have used up both my vetoes if there was anything left that I didn't want to see win; besides, it seemed like a nice good faith type gesture to level the playing field going into the final rounds.
:cheers: Worked out well for you and me both. One of them is in my top 5, the other top 100 and that's as good as I could reasonably hope for. Stalker and Late Spring both did a little better than I expected as well, and all the films I was more ambivalent about dropped off before the final couple of rounds. Success!
jeff_v

Post by jeff_v »

Vertigo 4
Persona 3
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

Vertigo 4
Persona 4
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Vertigo 4
Persona 5
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

The Battle of Algiers was my #1 going into the final round, but 3rd place is absolutely nothing to be upset about. It completely blew my mind as not only a perfect piece of filmmaking but one that is so relevant and a must-watch for all people everywhere.

This final is so close. I'm voting to cut Vertigo, because Persona was one of those films that changed the way I thought about what movies could even be. But yes, like others have said no wrong choices here (l)

Vertigo 5
Persona 5

Also sol if you aren't careful your abstention may wind up with you being required to cast the tie-breaker vote :woot:
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

Surely abstention should be illegal :folded:
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

brokenface wrote: March 5th, 2021, 7:06 pm Surely abstention should be illegal :folded:
It's okay to vote present unless your vote is needed to reach a majority! But if everyone refuses then I'll be forced to ask the sergeant at arms to compel a vote :cowbow:
toromash

Post by toromash »

Vertigo 6
Persona 5

Nice comeback
Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff »

Vertigo 6
Persona 6

Sol is the kingmaker.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

sol
Donator

Post by sol »

:think:

Gut says cut Vertigo since nobody out there really hates Persona, do they? At least then we can get winner that most people are okay with... right? :shrug:
Image Image Image
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Yes but does anybody hate Vertigo besides Onderhond? And why try to appease the guy who dislikes virtually the whole list? He probably doesn't much like Persona either, does he?

Doesn't matter in any case. Good game and I'm glad it was so close at the end between the last few films. This kind of thing shouldn't be a blowout.
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

My own observation is that while a slight majority seems to really like both films, there are a few who are not crazy about one or the other
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

I like Persona twice as much as Vertigo. The bigger difference is that there are actually scenes I liked in Persona, where Vertigo was just a flatline of mediocrity.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

I think you should make your choice based on what you like, sol, not what other people like. But it's up to you.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

sol wrote: March 6th, 2021, 1:38 am :think:

Gut says cut Vertigo since nobody out there really hates Persona, do they? At least then we can get winner that most people are okay with... right? :shrug:
I can't tell 100% if you're saying you are cutting Vertigo here, or still musing to yourself...if you can clarify your choice then we can wrap up this game!
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Sol is pausing for dramatic effect, which I appreciate.

There's a part of me that wants him to really drag this out. Maybe rewatch Vertigo and Persona each month for the next year and then make a decision.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

beasterne wrote: March 8th, 2021, 4:37 pm
sol wrote: March 6th, 2021, 1:38 am :think:

I can't tell 100% if you're saying you are cutting Vertigo here, or still musing to yourself...if you can clarify your choice then we can wrap up this game!
No, it's okay, I'll cut Vertigo. I mean, Persona only received 4 votes to cut (clearly the most favoured) during the ballot round, so let's give the people what they want.

On with the next rankdown where we each submit 8-10 films to compete that haven't competed in another rankdown before! B)
Image Image Image
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Thanks for organizing Beasterne !

Happy Persona won :)
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

So Bergman defeated Hitchcock twice in one day (I'm referring to the Favourite Directors Poll if that's not crystal clear :whistling: )
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Congrats to Persona! And thanks to everyone for a great game :)
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

Cheers beasterne for running and everyone for playing, even if you did get it all wrong at the end :folded:
cinewest

Post by cinewest »

pitchorneirda wrote: March 9th, 2021, 1:13 pm So Bergman defeated Hitchcock twice in one day (I'm referring to the Favourite Directors Poll if that's not crystal clear :whistling: )
Bergman beats Hitchcock just about every time if you ask me.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Have to see Persona yet. Is Persona actually one of the more accessible Bergman's or a good first Bergman to watch. That being said, i love Vertigo, but I also have to see it again as I can't remember much of it (and for some reason Psycho and Rear Window are much fresher in my mind).
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Lakigigar wrote: March 14th, 2021, 12:20 am Is Persona actually one of the more accessible Bergman's or a good first Bergman to watch.
Just the opposite actually.