Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

iCM Forum's Favourite Directorial Debut Features; Nominations

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/favo ... lakigigar/

Entirely ranked, 71 movies.

Here's my new list, after I accidentally deleted the previous list, and i expanded it to 71 movies. Also double checked my entire top 250 movies. Haven't found a lot of mistakes in the IMDb list, but I think Promising Young Woman, Heaven Knows What and Blue My Mind (which is partially a directorial debut feature, since she debuted in a partial part of a movie that was made by several directors and split into parts) aren't on the list, even though I mentioned Heaven Knows What yesterday???
zomgmouse

Post by zomgmouse »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls084816118/

ranked

a few titles on here that aren't in the spreadsheet
Last edited by zomgmouse on March 12th, 2021, 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 4:54 pm For Gert de Graaff, you might have a point, if his excamination documentary can be considered widly released. Will have to look into that more.
There's not a lot of info online, but I did find this: https://www.kviff.com/en/programme/film ... at-thinks/
About the director
Gert de Graaf (b. 1957, Amsterdam) graduated in aeronautical engineering in 1981, and in direction, camera and editing from the Dutch Film & Television Academy in 1987. He worked as an editor for NOB radio in Hilversum, where he now teaches editing and lectures in film history at the Media Academy. He has also worked as editor and cameraman on a number of documentaries. Filmography: He Who Finds Something, Hasn’t Sought Right (Wie wat find Heeft slecht gezocht, 1984) and his graduation film Two (Twee, 1986) which was awarded the Sony Educational Prize and the Tuschinsky Journalist Prize. The Sea That Thinks (De zee die denkt, 2000) is his feature debut as a director, but he also served as the movie’s screenwriter, cinematographer and co-editor. The film won the Joris Ivens Award at the Amsterdam IDFA and was screened in the Panorama section at the 2001 Berlin IFF.
The director also uploaded it to Vimeo himself: Twee eindexamenfilm Fimacademie Gert de Graaff. Google Translate tells me that means "student graduation film", but since you're a native speaker I'll leave that up to you :D

de Graaff wasn't in the spreadsheet, but once you decide which film is eligible I'll add him in.
zomgmouse

Post by zomgmouse »

Lakigigar wrote: March 12th, 2021, 12:40 am Heaven Knows What
not either of the Safdies' debut
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Lakigigar wrote: March 12th, 2021, 12:40 am https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/favo ... lakigigar/

Entirely ranked, 71 movies.

Here's my new list, after I accidentally deleted the previous list, and i expanded it to 71 movies. Also double checked my entire top 250 movies. Haven't found a lot of mistakes in the IMDb list, but I think Promising Young Woman, Heaven Knows What and Blue My Mind (which is partially a directorial debut feature, since she debuted in a partial part of a movie that was made by several directors and split into parts) aren't on the list, even though I mentioned Heaven Knows What yesterday???
Must you be so rude? Lonewolf already responded to you about Heaven Knows What.
Lonewolf2003 wrote: March 10th, 2021, 5:21 pm
Spoiler
Lakigigar wrote: March 10th, 2021, 1:48 pm I updated my list.

From a top 20 to top 40, apparently lots of new movies were added in the IMDb list (i don't keep track of what is a directorial debut or not, and this is why I believe it's insanely hard to do such a list). But fine i'll participate, even though i haven't seen a lot of must-see directorial debuts (think like Eraserhead), but it is what it is.

I also excluded most dual-directed movies, unless i was sure it was the debut movie of both (like if they're linked with each other, like the Coens, Wachowski or Dardennes are), but I don't think there was a noteworthy case of that in my list. Also excluded a bit of animation movies, unless it has a distinctive style, but lots of animation movies are directed by multiple persons, and it's more by the hand of a studio than by the director (but I left The Red Turtle and Perfect Blue in the list, and excluded most American ones, i don't think i've seen any other animated directiorial debuts).

Also isn't Heaven Knows What a directorial debut. Now that I think of, i was thinking of a noteworthy example of a dual directed movie (and I came up with the Safdie brothers). I don't think it was in the IMDb list, but see this is why it is so hard to create such a list based if it's a directorial debut or not. Not that it matters if it's in the list or not, because I feel like it narrowly misses it.
The Pleasure of Being Robbed (2008) is Josh Safdie's debut. Go Get Some Rosemary (2009) is the first they directed together, so Benny's debut.
Spoiler
EDIT: Another one that is missing is Blue Ruin from Jeremy Saulnier.
Murder Party is Saulnier's debut. It should been on the list. Added it.
To be honest... i don't think this list makes much sense, because i'm not going to manually check if something is a directorial debut or not for like 400 movies. Sorry, i'm not going to do that.

So do whatever you want with my list. I've made it anyway, but there will be sure for titles that i did miss (because it's so hard to check whether something is a directorial debut or not) and i'm not sure if it makes sense to participate now (sorry). Include it if you want, don't if you don't want to.

Another one that is missing is Ava by Léa Mysius.
Thanks added Ava to the list
Lakigigar wrote: March 10th, 2021, 2:06 pm Also don't get me wrong, respect for creating the IMDb / ICM list. That must have been hard work. But the point is if a movie isn't included in that IMDb list, it will have much less chance to appear, and I believe some of us might have created their list before consulting the updated IMDb list. It seems a bit problematic i think (unless everyone has done it manually?)
I get it's a lot of work to make a list for this poll, much more than most others. Therefor we actually made the list as a help so people don't have to check every movie themselves. Unfortunately we weren't able to finish the list before this poll started, that why it's have been updated regularly since than. Unfortunate we also haven't been able to check every single director there ever has been. People who posted their list before, of course also can still adjust their list according to it. If you don't want to double check all your movies, that's understandable. That's why I also check them for eligibility. If you don't want to participate that of course your own call too.

There is indeed a change that films not on the list have slighter change of making the cut, cause people use to the list to make their list. That's why we try to have it as complete as possible. That's also why I use ballots to add movies to the list, so movies already voted for have a higher change of gathering more votes.
I've checked the Promising Young Woman and Blue My Mind, and yes, they are both debut films and eligible for this poll. I'll include them in the final spreadsheet update, and I'm sure Lonewolf will add them to the lists when he has time.

If you do notice any more omissions (which are not mistakes) or errors in the list, please feel free to kindly post about them in this thread up until the deadline.
zomgmouse

Post by zomgmouse »

from mine:

Hounds of Love (Ben Young)
Journey to a Mother's Room (Celia Rico Clavellino)
The Eyes of My Mother (Nicolas Pesce)
Luz (Tilman Singer)
Nancy (Christina Choe)
Possum (Matthew Holness)
and as mentioned above, Promising Young Woman (Emerald Fennell)

and one that was on the spreadsheet but not on your imdb list:

Dementia (John Parker)
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Ow sorry i didn't read that about Heaven Knows What, and I didn't realize I came across very rude. Sorry.
Jimi Antiloop

Post by Jimi Antiloop »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 4:54 pm
I can understand that you feel that fictional features and docus are different breeds and therefor docu's shouldn't count as debut feature. But that's not how we defined directorial debut features. There has been ample time to discuss this definition and deliver input, but sorry I'm not going to open that disscusion a day before the deadline.

For Gert de Graaff, you might have a point, if his excamination documentary can be considered widly released. Will have to look into that more.
Fair enough. I might bring it up in 5 year or so, when we repeat this poll.

For Gert de Graaff. It would consider "De Zee de denkt", because graduation films, even so he now put it online by himself, are not widley released first feature movies. :)
:ICM: :letbxd: :Crtiticker: Reality Checks on :imdb:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”― Philip K. Dick
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Fergenaprido wrote: March 12th, 2021, 1:21 am
Lonewolf2003 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 4:54 pm For Gert de Graaff, you might have a point, if his excamination documentary can be considered widly released. Will have to look into that more.
There's not a lot of info online, but I did find this: https://www.kviff.com/en/programme/film ... at-thinks/
About the director
Gert de Graaf (b. 1957, Amsterdam) graduated in aeronautical engineering in 1981, and in direction, camera and editing from the Dutch Film & Television Academy in 1987. He worked as an editor for NOB radio in Hilversum, where he now teaches editing and lectures in film history at the Media Academy. He has also worked as editor and cameraman on a number of documentaries. Filmography: He Who Finds Something, Hasn’t Sought Right (Wie wat find Heeft slecht gezocht, 1984) and his graduation film Two (Twee, 1986) which was awarded the Sony Educational Prize and the Tuschinsky Journalist Prize. The Sea That Thinks (De zee die denkt, 2000) is his feature debut as a director, but he also served as the movie’s screenwriter, cinematographer and co-editor. The film won the Joris Ivens Award at the Amsterdam IDFA and was screened in the Panorama section at the 2001 Berlin IFF.
The director also uploaded it to Vimeo himself: Twee eindexamenfilm Fimacademie Gert de Graaff. Google Translate tells me that means "student graduation film", but since you're a native speaker I'll leave that up to you :D

de Graaff wasn't in the spreadsheet, but once you decide which film is eligible I'll add him in.
Eindexamen is indeed graduation.
Jimi Antiloop wrote: March 12th, 2021, 9:53 am
Lonewolf2003 wrote: March 11th, 2021, 4:54 pm
I can understand that you feel that fictional features and docus are different breeds and therefor docu's shouldn't count as debut feature. But that's not how we defined directorial debut features. There has been ample time to discuss this definition and deliver input, but sorry I'm not going to open that disscusion a day before the deadline.

For Gert de Graaff, you might have a point, if his excamination documentary can be considered widly released. Will have to look into that more.
Fair enough. I might bring it up in 5 year or so, when we repeat this poll.

For Gert de Graaff. It would consider "De Zee de denkt", because graduation films, even so he now put it online by himself, are not widley released first feature movies. :)
I agree. Those self uploaded graduation films aren’t widely released and don’t count. So The Sea That Thinks (De zee die denkt, 2000) I consider his debut and is eligible. Thanks for pointing this out
Opio

Post by Opio »

Ranked:
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls089856818/

Thanks so much to those who put the debut lists together.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Finally ...

Ranked:
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls089416673/

(Made from the masterlist)
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Torgo wrote: March 12th, 2021, 12:32 am Say .. will this deadline be over tonight or am I correctly suspecting that the poll is extended until Sunday evening? :ph43r:
No the deadline is what it is. You can submit lists, until I will download the lists some time tomorrow afternoon.(Dutch Time). But as said in the OP I will give people time to correct their lists after the deadline.
Panunzio

Post by Panunzio »

I'll sneak a ranked list i here as well.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls089861459/
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

zomgmouse wrote: March 12th, 2021, 2:37 am from mine:

Hounds of Love (Ben Young)
Journey to a Mother's Room (Celia Rico Clavellino)
The Eyes of My Mother (Nicolas Pesce)
Luz (Tilman Singer)
Nancy (Christina Choe)
Possum (Matthew Holness)
and as mentioned above, Promising Young Woman (Emerald Fennell)

and one that was on the spreadsheet but not on your imdb list:

Dementia (John Parker)
I added all those films to the spreadsheet.

@Lonewolf here are the final few additions to the spreadsheet based on what people have posted in this thread and a few other random ones I found. Posting them here so you don't have to go to the spreadsheet to find them:
Spoiler
imdb nmid Director imdb ttid Original Title English/Alternate Title Year
nm0019755 Aljure, Felipe tt0107001 La gente de la Universal The People at Universal 1991
nm2337186 Brühlmann, Lisa tt6193454 Blue My Mind 2017
nm1357921 Choe, Christina tt6509058 Nancy 2018
nm8682602 Choi, Tracy tt6386132 Gwat mooi Sisterhood 2016
nm0165412 Clavell, James tt0052808 Five Gates to Hell 1959
nm0231596 Dominik, Andrew tt0221073 Chopper 2000
nm2193504 Fennell, Emerald tt9620292 Promising Young Woman 2020
nm1478358 Holness, Matthew tt6081670 Possum 2018
nm0674600 Perret, Léonce tt0319904 Le mystère des roches de Kador The Mystery of the Kador Cliffs 1912
nm1031949 Perrone, Raúl tt0358304 Ángeles 1992
nm2073372 Pesce, Nicolas tt5225338 The Eyes of My Mother 2016
nm3536332 Rico Clavellino, Celia tt6109502 Viaje al cuarto de una madre Journey to a Mother's Room 2018
nm6849061 Singer, Tilman tt7858616 Luz 2018
nm1587778 Young, Ben tt3896738 Hounds of Love 2016
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Lakigigar wrote: March 12th, 2021, 8:06 am Ow sorry i didn't read that about Heaven Knows What, and I didn't realize I came across very rude. Sorry.
Thanks for the apology :)

It wasn't just that post that I felt was rude, but others you've made earlier in this thread and in a few others on the site recently (the future polls thread and the list discussion ones, for example). I know English isn't your first language, so some of the nuances and ways your writing come across may not be obvious to you (or may be completely different in your native tongue), but here's what I noticed, and what bothered me: I find the way you write to often come across as very demanding and confrontational; when you don't agree with someone's opinion, you come back very strongly reiterating your own opinion, seemingly without really paying attention to what the other person(s) wrote. There's perceive a similar attitude when people don't respond quickly enough to you.

For example, your post above about Heaven Knows What ends with "even though I mentioned Heaven Knows What yesterday???" - the implication there being that Lonewolf hadn't acted quickly enough to "fix" what you thought was an error, even though he had indeed already posted about it and you didn't see that post. The extra question marks at the end may seem innocuous, but they imply a sense of incredulity, as if "how could you be so stupid" as to not fix this already. That, along with your calling the omission of Promising Young Woman a "mistake", when it's a film that recently came out that most people haven't had the chance to see yet so it being overlooked was entirely reasonable, came across as extremely rude to me, even if your post wasn't aimed directly at me.

I understand now that you weren't intending to be rude, but that wasn't clear to me at the time, and I didn't think that post was respectful to all of the work that Lonewolf and I have been putting into this poll over the last six weeks. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, and I don't mind legitimate critiques and criticisms, but when people are doing a lot of work to help others, and you (or anyone else, not trying to single you out in this example) come back with complaints about it not being quite perfect or easy enough, it becomes quite discouraging. Especially when these comments come in the final day or two of the discussion. I think the people on this forum are incredibly generous and helpful, but if they're consistently berated for trying to help others, I imagine they'll be less likely to help out in the future. I know I am.

I hope this explains my perspective and that what I'm saying makes sense. I do still value your contribution to this forum, and am pleased that you are stepping up to host a poll yourself. :)
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

And here is my list, fully ranked: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls089868804/

Everything was already in the spreadsheet, since I used that to filter my top films. I'm debating whether or not to finally watch Nolan's debut tonight. If I do, it might make my list, but I imagine it's already got enough support as it is.

Oh, and I just realized I forgot to add de Graaff's debut to the spreadsheet. Added it now.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: March 12th, 2021, 8:43 pm
Torgo wrote: March 12th, 2021, 12:32 am Say .. will this deadline be over tonight or am I correctly suspecting that the poll is extended until Sunday evening? :ph43r:
No the deadline is what it is. You can submit lists, until I will download the lists some time tomorrow afternoon.(Dutch Time). But as said in the OP I will give people time to correct their lists after the deadline.
Well, f*ck, there I pokered too high after experiencing too many other deadline extensions here before. :lol: Perhaps I can make it to reach in a list around 4 or 5 pm CET. I was too lazy and then stupid in the end, so if you have your list download deadline set at that point and I haven't anything ready by then, leave me behind. Your work is appreciated - especially with all this debut madness. :circle:
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Fergenaprido wrote: March 13th, 2021, 4:15 am And here is my list, fully ranked: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls089868804/
Ohh, Courgette :sweat:
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Fergenaprido wrote: March 13th, 2021, 3:32 am
Lakigigar wrote: March 12th, 2021, 8:06 am Ow sorry i didn't read that about Heaven Knows What, and I didn't realize I came across very rude. Sorry.

It wasn't just that post that I felt was rude, but others you've made earlier in this thread and in a few others on the site recently (the future polls thread and the list discussion ones, for example). I know English isn't your first language, so some of the nuances and ways your writing come across may not be obvious to you (or may be completely different in your native tongue), but here's what I noticed, and what bothered me: I find the way you write to often come across as very demanding and confrontational; when you don't agree with someone's opinion, you come back very strongly reiterating your own opinion, seemingly without really paying attention to what the other person(s) wrote. There's perceive a similar attitude when people don't respond quickly enough to you.

For example, your post above about Heaven Knows What ends with "even though I mentioned Heaven Knows What yesterday???" - the implication there being that Lonewolf hadn't acted quickly enough to "fix" what you thought was an error, even though he had indeed already posted about it and you didn't see that post. The extra question marks at the end may seem innocuous, but they imply a sense of incredulity, as if "how could you be so stupid" as to not fix this already. That, along with your calling the omission of Promising Young Woman a "mistake", when it's a film that recently came out that most people haven't had the chance to see yet so it being overlooked was entirely reasonable, came across as extremely rude to me, even if your post wasn't aimed directly at me.

I understand now that you weren't intending to be rude, but that wasn't clear to me at the time, and I didn't think that post was respectful to all of the work that Lonewolf and I have been putting into this poll over the last six weeks. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, and I don't mind legitimate critiques and criticisms, but when people are doing a lot of work to help others, and you (or anyone else, not trying to single you out in this example) come back with complaints about it not being quite perfect or easy enough, it becomes quite discouraging. Especially when these comments come in the final day or two of the discussion. I think the people on this forum are incredibly generous and helpful, but if they're consistently berated for trying to help others, I imagine they'll be less likely to help out in the future. I know I am.

I hope this explains my perspective and that what I'm saying makes sense. I do still value your contribution to this forum, and am pleased that you are stepping up to host a poll yourself. :)
I understand. I sincerely apologize and i'll try to be more helpful in the future. It's indeed true that I lack some nuances or that my way of writing isn't really obvious to me at times, and that i'm also quite "straight to the point", but I understand where you're coming from. I'm just very perfectionist. I'm demanding of others, yes. I'm even more demanding and harder for myself (which i've stated in off-topic at times), but for me personally it seems like i can get the best out of myself when i'm demanding of myself. But sure, I understand I shouldn't be like that to others, and this was absolutely wrong of me. Don't understand me wrong. This forum is great, very helpful, very friendly and i really appreciate what everything is doing here. I really like this community. I really respect what you two in particular have been doing for this list, and my behaviour is unacceptable, even though i probably didn't fully realize, although I do realize that i was harsh at times. So, I hereby offer my sincere apologies to both you, Lonewolf and all others that felt offended by me in the past. It doesn't reflect my respect & appreciation for this forum & members of this forum in general.
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

Huge thanks to the hosts with all of their incredible work in compiling the master list, that's impressive stuff and proved very useful in putting together my list.

A quick scan through my favourites revealed two that are not in the master list, which probably means they are unlikely to make the cut but they are:

The War Zone - Tim Roth https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/the+war+zone/
Rent-A-Pal - Jon Stevenson https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/rent-a-pal/

Here is my ranked list:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls089822650/
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Lakigigar wrote: March 13th, 2021, 9:14 am
Fergenaprido wrote: March 13th, 2021, 3:32 am

I understand. I sincerely apologize and i'll try to be more helpful in the future. It's indeed true that I lack some nuances or that my way of writing isn't really obvious to me at times, and that i'm also quite "straight to the point", but I understand where you're coming from. I'm just very perfectionist. I'm demanding of others, yes. I'm even more demanding and harder for myself (which i've stated in off-topic at times), but for me personally it seems like i can get the best out of myself when i'm demanding of myself. But sure, I understand I shouldn't be like that to others, and this was absolutely wrong of me. Don't understand me wrong. This forum is great, very helpful, very friendly and i really appreciate what everything is doing here. I really like this community. I really respect what you two in particular have been doing for this list, and my behaviour is unacceptable, even though i probably didn't fully realize, although I do realize that i was harsh at times. So, I hereby offer my sincere apologies to both you, Lonewolf and all others that felt offended by me in the past. It doesn't reflect my respect & appreciation for this forum & members of this forum in general.
Thanks for your apologies.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Torgo wrote: March 13th, 2021, 4:19 am
Lonewolf2003 wrote: March 12th, 2021, 8:43 pm
Well, f*ck, there I pokered too high after experiencing too many other deadline extensions here before. :lol: Perhaps I can make it to reach in a list around 4 or 5 pm CET. I was too lazy and then stupid in the end, so if you have your list download deadline set at that point and I haven't anything ready by then, leave me behind. Your work is appreciated - especially with all this debut madness. :circle:
I’m busy doing real life stuff for at least the next hour or so, so there is still time to post lists.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/dir/torgo/

Made one! It's ranked and I'm ordering it as we speak, so maybe when you download it, really only the first 35 will be ranked in an intended way, or the first 55, or ...? Whatever. :D
Thanks you guys and good luck!
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Nominations are now closed!

I updated the OP. Please check if your list is stated and linked correctly.
I count 40 participants. Could someone verify that?

I will start downloading the lists now. First step after that will be checking all eligibilities.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on March 13th, 2021, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Process of result generation starting :circle:
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

St. Gloede wrote: March 12th, 2021, 12:25 pm Finally ...

Ranked:

Your list is set to private.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

filmbantha wrote: March 13th, 2021, 9:58 am Huge thanks to the hosts with all of their incredible work in compiling the master list, that's impressive stuff and proved very useful in putting together my list.

A quick scan through my favourites revealed two that are not in the master list, which probably means they are unlikely to make the cut but they are:

Here is my ranked list:

The War Zone should be in the list already. So maybe it will make the cut after all ;)
Added Rent-A-Pal.
Thanks.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Duplicate in file blocho (unranked).csv at #6 and #92: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051372/
Duplicate in file blocho (unranked).csv at #15 and #102: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0339419/
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: March 13th, 2021, 3:34 pm
St. Gloede wrote: March 12th, 2021, 12:25 pm Finally ...

Ranked:

Your list is set to private.
Fixed.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

@Gorro; You voted for the short It's Such a Beautiful Day, while you probably meant to vote for the movie (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2396224) instead, which is eligible.
@blocho; You voted for the tv-series What We Do in the Shadows, while you probably meant to vote for the movie (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3416742/) instead, which is eligible.
@Panunzio; You voted for the tv-series LÂge d'Or, while you probably meant to vote for the movie (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021577/) instead, which is eligible.
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: March 7th, 2021, 2:51 pm
peeptoad wrote: February 12th, 2021, 3:55 pm unranked
I may go back and add more before the deadline, but wanted to get something down in case I don't have the time or energy. :cheers:
Thanks for posting your list.
...just added a few more, fyi.
Thanks to both you and Fergenaprido for all the hard wok on the OP list.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: March 13th, 2021, 3:38 pm
filmbantha wrote: March 13th, 2021, 9:58 am Huge thanks to the hosts with all of their incredible work in compiling the master list, that's impressive stuff and proved very useful in putting together my list.

Here is my ranked list:

The War Zone should be in the list already. So maybe it will make the cut after all ;)
Added Rent-A-Pal.
Thanks.
I just added Rent-A-Pal to the spreadsheet. The War Zone was indeed already there.

Also, Lonewolf pointed out in a comment on the spreadsheet that Todd Haynes's debut is Superstar (1988), not Poison (1991). It's 43 minutes so counts for this poll, even though it's labelled as a short on imdb (which is how I missed it before). He made the film while he was at art college, but it was not a film school film and it screened at a number of film festivals before it was prevented from screening in theatres because of copyright issues.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

After checking all nominations I added these titles to the lists. Please let me know if any of these shouldn't be eligible.

New eligible titles

Seth GordonThe King of Kongtt0923752
Rose GlassSaint Maudtt7557108
William LauBarbie as the Princess and the Paupertt0426955
Robert K. Weiss, Jay LeveyThe Compleat Altt0132902
Gérard LouvinAshakaratt0279659
John MagaryThe Mendtt3271120
Henry Joost, Ariel SchulmanCatfishtt1584016
Robert MocklerLike Mett3204632
Michael PateTimtt0080024
Jessica SharzerSpeaktt0378793
Peggy HolmesThe Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginningtt0969647
Yannis Filippou, Mihallis GaziadisAnna Rodititt0136709
Ivan SenBeneath Cloudstt0295876
Todd HaynesSuperstar: The Karen Carpenter Storytt0094075
Stuart GillardParadisett0084469
Metin ErksanKaranlik dünyatt0295364
Dale RosenbloomShilohtt0120118
Ross Duffer, Matt DufferHiddentt2131532
Russell Mulcahy, Peter MacDonaldRambo IIItt0095956
Jack Conway, James C. McKay, Cedric GibbonsTarzan and His Matett0025862
Kankurô KudôMayonaka no Yaji-san Kita-santt0468975
Javier Abad, Jorge Blanco, Marcos MartínezPlanet 51tt0762125
Michel KhleifiAl Dhakira al Khasbatt0121278
Norton Virgien, Igor KovalyovThe Rugrats Moviett0134067
Ilian MetevPoslednata lineika na Sofiatt2378465
Kevin GreutertSaw VItt1233227
Iván NoelEn tu ausenciatt1289396
Sebastian SchipperAbsolute Gigantentt0177507
Hiroki YamaguchiGusha no bindumett0422370
Rick StevensonMagic in the Watertt0113737
Guel ArraesO Auto da Compadecidatt0271383
Ben VerbongHet meisje met het rode haartt0082731
Adrian GrunbergGet the Gringott1567609
Diederick KoopalDe Marathontt2401621
Rene LiuHou lai de wo mentt8033592
David HicksonBeat the Drumtt0387057
Jérémy ClapinJ'ai perdu mon corpstt9806192
Piotr TrzaskalskiEditt0338949
Giulio RicciarelliIm Labyrinth des Schweigenstt3825638
Kerry ConranSky Captain and the World of Tomorrowtt0346156
Damien Dante WayansDance Flicktt1153706
Dave McCaryBrigsby Beartt5805752
Chris BellBigger Stronger Faster*tt1151309
Roberts Gannaway, Tony CraigDining Out with Timon & Pumbaatt7332266
Don Michael PaulHalf Past Deadtt0297162
Abrar AlviSahib Bibi Aur Ghulamtt0056436
Rob SilvestriThomas & Friends: King of the Railwaytt2641678
Robert StrombergMaleficenttt1587310
James B. HarrisThe Bedford Incidenttt0058962
Marie Pérennou, Claude NuridsanyMicrocosmos: Le peuple de l'herbett0117040
Alexander RøslerSommerjubeltt0265780
Grant SputoreI Am Mothertt6292852
Jacques RozierAdieu Philippinett0143088
Kevin DonovanThe Tuxedott0290095
Lionel JeffriesThe Railway Childrentt0066279
Steve 'Spaz' WilliamsThe Wildtt0405469
Scott MannThe Tournamenttt0471041
Tyler TaorminaHam on Ryett8529134
Peter FondaThe Hired Handtt0067204
Stuart HazeldineExamtt1258197
Henry HobsonMaggiett1881002
Massy TadjedinLast Nighttt1294688
Alice WaddingtonParadise Hillstt6127004
Scott FrankThe Lookouttt0427470
Jean-Marc RudnickiLes reines du ringtt2330546
Jun'ichi Satô, Tomotaka ShibayamaNakitai watashi wa neko o kaburutt11958344
Jun'ichi SatôAkuma-kuntt12956918
Meryem Benm'Barek-AloïsiSofiatt8296592
Dominic SenaKaliforniatt0107302
Julie DashDaughters of the Dusttt0104057
Linda ShaynePurple People Eatertt0095930
Uli EdelTommy kehrt zurücktt0857269
Alex SteyermarkPrey for Rock & Rolltt0307351
Daniel St. Pierre, Christopher Reeve, Colin BradyEveryone's Herott0430779
Reza ParsaFöre stormentt0251091
Laurence DunmoreThe Libertinett0375920
John Carroll LynchLuckytt5859238
Paul DanoWildlifett5929754
Josh BooneStuck in Lovett2205697
Mark Levin, Jennifer FlackettNim's Islandtt0410377
Helmut WeissDie Feuerzangenbowlett0036818
George Chesebro, Bruce MitchellWolfbloodtt0016545
Joel GallenNot Another Teen Moviett0277371
Karolis KaupinisNova Lituaniatt8514696
Franc RoddamDummytt1082585
Darrell Rooney, Rob LaDucaThe Lion King II: Simba's Pridett0120131
Simon AmstellCarnage: Swallowing the Pasttt6667360
Maïmouna DoucouréMignonnestt9196192
Niklaus HilberChaos and Cadaverstt0337923
Michael TiddesA Haunted Housett2243537
Kent MackenzieThe Exilestt0054861
Indar DzhendubaevOn - drakontt4057376
Adam SchindlerShut Intt4009278
Francis GiacobettiEmmanuelle: L'antiviergett0072933
Anna FoersterUnderworld: Blood Warstt3717252
Anthony MarasHotel Mumbaitt5461944
Henry BeanThe Believertt0247199
David Nerlich, Andrew TrauckiBlack Watertt0816436
Storm AshwoodThe Schooltt6072502
Sara GómezIsla del Tesorott13434358
Mario Miscione, Aaron HannCirclett3118452
Lisandro AlonsoLa libertadtt0291310
Andy MuschiettiMamatt2023587
Tim MetcalfeKiller: A Journal of Murdertt0113542
Tom DeyShanghai Noontt0184894
Regina KingLet the Church Say Amentt3266396
Kelly Fremon CraigThe Edge of Seventeentt1878870
Hugh Welchman, Dorota KobielaLoving Vincenttt3262342
Blake WilliamsPrototypett6111996
Matthew Michael CarnahanMosultt9252468
Shannon MurphyBabyteethtt8399664
Michele Mulroney, Kieran MulroneyPaper Mantt0437405
Michael PearceBeasttt5628302
Brandon Vietti, Dong Won Jung, Jinsung Kim, Tim Divar, Young Won JungScooby-Doo! and WWE: Curse of the Speed Demontt4196868
John GulagerFeasttt0426459
Savitri Joly-Gonfard, Raphaël HernandezKaydaratt1869509
Charles ChauvelThe Moth of Moonbitt0258819
James William GuercioElectra Glide in Bluett0070022
Allen BaronBlast of Silencett0054687
Andrew MorahanHighlander III: The Sorcerertt0110027
Glen MorganWillard tt0310357

The following titles I will allow: (which means they aren't in the lists cause I have doubts about there eligibility, but that doubt is so big I will not consider them ineligible):
Jafar Panahi Badkonake sefid tt0112445
Paul F. Ryan Home Room tt0264689
Dean Covell The Wiggles Movie tt0128842
Ben Sharpsteen, Samuel Armstrong, etc Fantasia tt0032455
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on March 13th, 2021, 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Noo, Absolute Giganten + The King of Kong, I Lost My Body - that's what you miss when you don't do your own research.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

I checked all nominated titles. These are the nominated titles for which according to the OP lists another title is the directorial debut feature for its director. Therefor they are deemed ineligible. If you think a title should be eligible please let me know and why, preferable with sources. (Zero votes/checks isn't a valid argument)

Ineligible(?) nominated titles

Nominated titleDirector(s)Eligible title according to list
The MummyKarl FreundDer tote Gast
PitfallAndré De TothToprini nász
Not WantedElmer CliftonHer Official Fathers
Not WantedIda LupinoNever Fear
Ascenseur pour l'échafaudLouis MalleLe monde du silence
Ivanovo detstvoAndrei TarkovskyKatok i skripka
À tout prendreClaude JutraLes mains nettes
Susuz YazMetin ErksanKaranlik dünya
Le révélateurPhilippe GarrelAnémone
GaavDariush MehrjuiAlmaas 33
Ein großer graublauer VogelThomas SchamoniUnsure what his debut is, but Woina i Mir at least is earlier and 40+ minutes
Touki-BoukiDjibril Diop MambétyBadou Boy
Je tu il elleChantal AkermanHôtel Monterey
The Texas Chain Saw MassacreTobe HooperEggshells
La batalla de Chile: La lucha de un pueblo sin armas - Primera parte: La insurrección de la burguesíaPatricio GuzmánEl primer año
Evridiki BA 2037Nikos NikolaidisAnef oron
De cierta maneraSara GómezIsla del Tesoro
HausuNobuhiko ÔbayashiConfession
GirlfriendsClaudia WeillThe Other Half of the Sky: A China Memoir
QuadropheniaFranc RoddamDummy
Christiane F. - Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof ZooUli EdelTommy kehrt zurück
The Evil DeadSam RaimiIt's Murder!
PrzesluchanieRyszard BugajskiMaraton
Hadashi no GenMori MasakiFuun shinsegumi
La historia oficialLuis PuenzoLuces de mis zapatos
Soldiers in HidingMalcolm ClarkeMyths Behind the Miracle
Urs al-jalilMichel KhleifiAl Dhakira al Khasba
AkiraKatsuhiro ÔtomoJiyû o warera ni
UHFJay LeveyThe Compleat Al
Henry: Portrait of a Serial KillerJohn McNaughtonHollywood Crime Wave
Reise der HoffnungXavier KollerFanø Hill
PoisonTodd HaynesSuperstar: The Karen Carpenter Story
BarakaRon FrickeChronos
Qing shao nian nuo zhaMing-liang TsaiAll the Corners of the World
Shallow GraveDanny BoyleThe Venus de Milo Instead
Chronicle of a DisappearanceElia SuleimanIntroduction to the End of an Argument
Regarde la merFrançois OzonJospin s'éclaire
La vendedora de rosasVíctor GaviriaQue pase el aserrador
RosiePatrice ToyeUnsure what her debut is, but L'amant de Maman at least is earlier and 40+ minutes
Ame agaruTakashi KoizumiVietnam
Diagogi... miden!Yannis Filippou, Mihallis GaziadisAnna Roditi
OtoshianaHiroshi TeshigaharaJuuninin no shashinka
964 PinocchioShozin FukuiMetal Days
Lavoura ArcaicaLuiz Fernando CarvalhoOs homens Querem Paz
InsomniaChristopher NolanFollowing
SiworaeHyun-seung LeeGeudaneanui blue
ChicagoRob MarshallThe Wonderful World of Disney: Annie
Lost in TranslationSofia CoppolaThe Virgin Suicides
Mou gaan douAndrew LauPeng dang
Ong-bakPrachya PinkaewRawng tah laep plaep
InnocenceLucile HadzihalilovicLa bouche de Jean-Pierre
Mou gaan douAlan MakJui hung 20 nin
The CorporationMark AchbarManufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media
Tropa de EliteJosé PadilhaÔnibus 174
Die ParallelstrasseFerdinand KhittlWerkstatt für Europa - Feuer an der Ruhr
The CorporationJennifer AbbottA Cow at My Table
UpPete DocterMonsters, Inc.
CloverfieldMatt ReevesThe Pallbearer
One Night in MiamiRegina KingLet the Church Say Amen
InkJamin WinansThe Maze
Chuan qiang renHung Hung3 ju zhi lian
Secret of the WingsRoberts GannawayDining Out with Timon & Pumbaa
MonstersGareth EdwardsEnd Day
LebanonSamuel MaozTotal Eclipse
SweetgrassIlisa Barbash, Lucien Castaing-TaylorIn and Out of Africa
Mi vida con CarlosGermán BergerViaje a Narragonia
Dao jiàn xiàoWuershanFei zao ju
At SeaPeter B. HuttonTwo Rivers
RemainderOmer FastNostalgia
SchilfClaudia LehmannHans im Glück
WadjdaHaifaa Al-MansourWomen Without Shadows
Secret of the WingsPeggy HolmesThe Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning
Finding DoryAndrew StantonFinding Nemo
FinsterworldFrauke FinsterwalderWeil der Mensch ein Mensch ist
The Act of KillingJoshua OppenheimerThe Entire History of the Louisiana Purchase
Omoide no MânîHiromasa YonebayashiKari-gurashi no Arietti
LionGarth DavisP.I.N.S.
IIIPavel KhvaleevRandom
Amateur TeensNiklaus HilberChaos and Cadavers
Lady BirdGreta GerwigNights and Weekends
GraveJulia DucournauMange
Lou Andreas-Salomé, The Audacity to be FreeCordula Kablitz-PostMein Leben - Helmut Berger
ColumbusKogonadaLunch Line
Blood MachinesSavitri Joly-Gonfard, Raphaël HernandezKaydara
Rimitto obu suripingu byutiKen NinomiyaSlum-Polis
44289Ilian MetevPoslednata lineika na Sofia
Kuang shouJonathan LiGayby
Paris est à nousElisabeth VoglerBlanchisserie de France
Palm SpringsMax BarbakowMommy, I'm a Bastard!
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on March 13th, 2021, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Okay, listen carefully cause the proces is a bit different than normal.

- Until Wednesday everybody can still make an argued case why a title should or shouldn't count.
- Until Wednesday everybody can still adjust their list (delete ineligible titles, add more titles, re-order etc),
- Until Wednesday I will also still accept new lists!,
- BUT when calculating the results Wednesday I will consider every title not in the OP lists (+ the 4 "allowed" titles above) ineligible! (I will not research the eligibility again of all nominated titles.)
- Everyone can post titles here that should be added to the OP lists until then. (Please provide an IMDb link. If it's not instantly clear from a directors filmography on IMDb that said title is the debut, state why it is a debut feature.) So if you add a title to your list, that's not in the OP list, post it here or it will be considered ineligible Wednesday.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: March 13th, 2021, 11:13 pm delete ineligible titles
What'll happen if they're still there? And if it's scripted, is there even a point in making an effort to remove them?