Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

iCM Forum's Favourite TV-series 2nd edition; Results

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
zuma
Donator

Post by zuma »

joachimt wrote: January 12th, 2021, 4:26 pm
outdoorcats wrote: January 12th, 2021, 4:04 pm
joachimt wrote: January 9th, 2021, 8:31 pm How on earth is it possible that Young Ones got only four votes?! :satstunned: :'(
And then it's followed by several things I never heard of. And a news show? Didn't expect something like that to pop up.
Never heard of The Young Ones. :ermm: So...it's good?
Young Ones is one of the most famous classic comedy shows from the UK not containing Rowan Atkinson or one of the Monty Python guys. Surprised you don't know it. I think it's hilarious.
I did not vote, but FWIW I have never heard of The Young Ones either.
tourdesb

Post by tourdesb »

zuma wrote: January 14th, 2021, 1:24 am
joachimt wrote: January 12th, 2021, 4:26 pm
outdoorcats wrote: January 12th, 2021, 4:04 pm

Never heard of The Young Ones. :ermm: So...it's good?
Young Ones is one of the most famous classic comedy shows from the UK not containing Rowan Atkinson or one of the Monty Python guys. Surprised you don't know it. I think it's hilarious.
I did not vote, but FWIW I have never heard of The Young Ones either.
Never heard of The Young Ones either.
Image Image Image
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

I have, so it's probably a series that travelled well within Europe but not so much to other continents. Didn't like it very much (but the same goes for most older British comedy, surprise surprise!)
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

Onderhond wrote: January 14th, 2021, 2:51 pm I have, so it's probably a series that travelled well within Europe but not so much to other continents. Didn't like it very much (but the same goes for most older British comedy, surprise surprise!)
Yeah, I think that’s the case. American here and I hadn’t heard of The Young Ones until seeing it mentioned a while ago elsewhere on the forum, then seeing it pop up here. Certain British shows seem to gain traction in the US to some degree, I don’t think this was one of them AFAIK. It sounds somewhat interesting to me though, wouldn’t mind checking it out at some point.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Yeah, if it's only 12 episodes, I'm interested in checking it out.

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

GruesomeTwosome wrote: January 14th, 2021, 3:33 pm
Onderhond wrote: January 14th, 2021, 2:51 pm I have, so it's probably a series that travelled well within Europe but not so much to other continents. Didn't like it very much (but the same goes for most older British comedy, surprise surprise!)
Yeah, I think that’s the case. American here and I hadn’t heard of The Young Ones until seeing it mentioned a while ago elsewhere on the forum, then seeing it pop up here. Certain British shows seem to gain traction in the US to some degree, I don’t think this was one of them AFAIK. It sounds somewhat interesting to me though, wouldn’t mind checking it out at some point.
Probably also an age thing. The show had some popularity in the 1980s-90s in the USA - according to Wiki it was first on MTV, later on PBS. And it was available on VHS which I think is how I saw it back in that time period - pretty sure I watched most or all of it around 1992-4, somewhere in there. Given that there was very little TV, relatively speaking, available on video before the DVD era, fewer cable channels, and that British comedy always had a certain level of popularity in the USA, it's not surprising that that show had a little more impact when it was relatively new; nowadays there is just so much stuff available that I guess it's gotten lost in the shuffle, at least here in America.
GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome »

OldAle1 wrote: January 14th, 2021, 4:01 pm
Probably also an age thing. The show had some popularity in the 1980s-90s in the USA - according to Wiki it was first on MTV, later on PBS. And it was available on VHS which I think is how I saw it back in that time period - pretty sure I watched most or all of it around 1992-4, somewhere in there. Given that there was very little TV, relatively speaking, available on video before the DVD era, fewer cable channels, and that British comedy always had a certain level of popularity in the USA, it's not surprising that that show had a little more impact when it was relatively new; nowadays there is just so much stuff available that I guess it's gotten lost in the shuffle, at least here in America.
Ah, makes sense, thanks for the perspective! Yeah I'm a bit too young to have noticed it/seen it when it aired in the US during those years.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

I know the Young Ones best from the Cliff Richards clip for Living Doll. :blush:
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I look at life like this
Spoiler
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

zuma
Donator

Post by zuma »

Definitely not an age thing in my case as I am old enough for the time period you mentioned.

Maybe it was a Canada vs US thing. Much music sometimes had similar programming to MTV, but probably only 25% overlap.

Or it was just one of those blind spots that never registered.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

zuma wrote: January 14th, 2021, 7:17 pm
Definitely not an age thing in my case as I am old enough for the time period you mentioned.

Maybe it was a Canada vs US thing. Much music sometimes had similar programming to MTV, but probably only 25% overlap.

Or it was just one of those blind spots that never registered.
Well, I don't think it was ever as big a thing as Python or even Fawlty Towers or Blackadder, but I worked at a video store during this period - a video store that had an owner who was rather into British comedy as I remember - and that probably helped me to be more aware of some of these things. And let's face it even in that period there were still enormous numbers of films and tv shows out there that were going to fly below any individual's radar, because even then it wasn't possible to keep up with everything, at least not if you lived in a large city like I did.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

I can't believe Fawlty Towers ranked higher than Monty Python.

Breaking Bad would have been my #1, but most of these results just bewilder me.
Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan »

I rewatched all of Monty Python a few years ago. One thing that struck me was that there were quite a few sketches that just fell flat. I'm not sure if they just didn't age well or didn't work at the time. It's to be expected given that they were trying a lot of subversive material. But people tend to forget about them.

The great stuff is great, but overall as a series it wasn't as fantastic as I remembered it.
Owner of two platinums:
  • FilmTotaal Top 100
  • IMDb's Sci-Fi Top 50
Rufus-T

Post by Rufus-T »

I love this poll. Thanks for running it. I enjoyed very much in putting together the list. I never consider myself a big TV person. When getting together this list, I realize I watch more TV than I thought. In fact, there are TV series I always like to watch but never get to it, like

Hill Street Blues
Miami Vice
Downton Abbey

I don't see these in the top 100. How did they fare?

Also, I am pleasantly surprised that "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" made the top 100. The show when it was hosted by Drew Carey was the funniest stuff on TV.
lynchs

Post by lynchs »

Glad to see The Prisoner, both Twin Peaks and Better Call Saul, also Fargo (but the last two seasons were a little disappointing). One that I don't know if it was mentioned is Profit (1996–1997) which I don't remember very well now.. but it was one my favorites in the 90s.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

I loved that show "Profit"....was disappointed it ended so early. So sick and twisted.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Rufus-T wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 8:54 pm I love this poll. Thanks for running it. I enjoyed very much in putting together the list. I never consider myself a big TV person. When getting together this list, I realize I watch more TV than I thought. In fact, there are TV series I always like to watch but never get to it, like

Hill Street Blues
Miami Vice
Downton Abbey

lynchs wrote: January 24th, 2021, 12:23 pm Glad to see The Prisoner, both Twin Peaks and Better Call Saul, also Fargo (but the last two seasons were a little disappointing). One that I don't know if it was mentioned is Profit (1996–1997) which I don't remember very well now.. but it was one my favorites in the 90s.
Here is the complete list, you can see how they did; https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... ewolf2003/

Hill Street Blues = #188 (+230)
Miami Vice = #409 (new)
Downton Abbey = #711 (-549) :folded: :(

Profit = #266 (new)

I didn’t know Profit. But read up about it for this poll. Was canceled after just three episodes because of low-ratings, but it’s considered now as ahead of its time and a predecessor for the dark tv dramas of the 21st century.
lynchs

Post by lynchs »

Ebbywebby, I remember very little but back then was probably too mind blowing for TV?!

Lonewolf2003 thanks for the info. Still can't find there Crashing (2017–2019)?:(

To this day I can't find one I saw in the 90s too, the whole series were about a gun, I searched for GUN, THE GUN etc but still can't find it anything about it.. but I sure enjoyed, it had an Twin Peaks vibe.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

lynchs wrote: January 24th, 2021, 3:41 pm Ebbywebby, I remember very little but back then was probably too mind blowing for TV?!

Lonewolf2003 thanks for the info. Still can't find there Crashing (2017–2019)?:(

If it isn’t in the complete list, it wasn’t mentioned by anybody cause the complete list has every series voted for. (Unless it is in the ineligible list in the nomination thread.)
gromit82
Donator

Post by gromit82 »

lynchs wrote: January 24th, 2021, 3:41 pm Ebbywebby, I remember very little but back then was probably too mind blowing for TV?!

To this day I can't find one I saw in the 90s too, the whole series were about a gun, I searched for GUN, THE GUN etc but still can't find it anything about it.. but I sure enjoyed, it had an Twin Peaks vibe.
Is that "Gun" (1997)? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118330/
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: January 24th, 2021, 2:47 pm
Rufus-T wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 8:54 pm I love this poll. Thanks for running it. I enjoyed very much in putting together the list. I never consider myself a big TV person. When getting together this list, I realize I watch more TV than I thought. In fact, there are TV series I always like to watch but never get to it, like

Hill Street Blues
Miami Vice
Downton Abbey

lynchs wrote: January 24th, 2021, 12:23 pm Glad to see The Prisoner, both Twin Peaks and Better Call Saul, also Fargo (but the last two seasons were a little disappointing). One that I don't know if it was mentioned is Profit (1996–1997) which I don't remember very well now.. but it was one my favorites in the 90s.
Here is the complete list, you can see how they did; https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... ewolf2003/

Hill Street Blues = #188 (+230)
Miami Vice = #409 (new)
Downton Abbey = #711 (-549) :folded: :(

Profit = #266 (new)

I didn’t know Profit. But read up about it for this poll. Was canceled after just three episodes because of low-ratings, but it’s considered now as ahead of its time and a predecessor for the dark tv dramas of the 21st century.
Re: Downtown Abbey - I stopped watching after
Spoiler
Matthew died in a random, silly car accident
, but generally I think it's another case of a show that spun its wheels for so many seasons (due to its own success) that it hurt its own legacy.

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
lynchs

Post by lynchs »

gromit82 wrote: January 24th, 2021, 7:11 pm

Is that "Gun" (1997)? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118330/
(l) (l)
Oh now I feel embarrassing, very :woot:
That's the one, I'll check out sometime, but surely it will not be easy to find it/downloading.
cayado-coro

Post by cayado-coro »

Tel Aviv on Fire is worth watching. :lol: