Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

Year-by-Year Polls: 1980 (***CLOSED***)

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes

Should we do a 2020 year-end poll?

Yes, in Summer around July
43%
Yes, in Spring around April
39%
No, skip it
18%

Total votes: 51

Rufus-T

Year-by-Year Polls: 1980 (***CLOSED***)

Post by Rufus-T »

Happy New Year to all! Welcome to the Year-by-Year Poll!

This poll is for the year 1980

These polls are fairly simple. We work our way through film history selecting a different year each time, and you list your top films from the given year. Depending on the number of voters, the poll usually produces a list of around 50-90 films and is a great way of finding recommendations. Lots of people will also list other films outside their top 20 as honorable mentions or runners-up.

The Rules

- You can vote for a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 20 films.

- Feature films, documentaries, short films, TV movies, and TV mini-series are all eligible, but not continuing TV series or individual TV episodes.

- We use IMDb dates for consistency, so a title should be listed on IMDb as 1980.

- Your ballot can be either ranked or unranked, but I will assume it's ranked unless otherwise stated. For ranked ballots it makes it easier if you use a numbered list.

- IMPORTANT: Along with a list of the titles from 1980, please include the corresponding list of bare IMDb urls for the same films. Your ballot will be deemed disqualified if the IMDb urls are not included.

The Scoring

For ranked ballots, the top-ranked title will receive a number of points equal to the number of titles on the ballot, with each succeeding title receiving one fewer point. So the top title on a list of 20 films will receive 20 points, the next 19 points and so on. If the list has only 10 films, the top title will receive 10 points, the next one 9, and so on. If there are 5 films on the list, the top film will receive 5 points, the next one 4, well you get the idea.

For unranked ballots, each title will receive an equal share of the total points that would have been allotted to the ballot if it had been ranked. If there are 20 films on the ballot, this means each one would receive 10.5 points.

Some resources

1980 films with the sorted by most votes on IMDb

1980 films you've rated on IMDb

Wikipedia's 1980 in film article

1980 films you've checked on ICM

1980 films you *haven't* checked on ICM

Previous poll results as ICM lists

2017: 1940 results, 1981 results, 2005 results, 1927 results, 1968 results, 1939 results, 1976 results, 1997 results
2018: 1958 results, 2017 results, 1948 results, 1983 results, 1969 results, 1925 results, 1991 results, 1957 results, 2006 results
2019: 2018 results, 1932 results, 1972 results, 1942 results, 1987 results, 1964 results, 1994 results, 2007 results, 1955 results
2020: 2019 results, 1945 results, 1935 results, 1974 results, 1960 results, 1951 results, 2008 results, 1966 results, 1944 results

The Deadline

This poll will run for about 3 weeks and will plan to close on Sunday January 24 midnight Eastern Standard Time, but I usually will leave the poll up til sometime that mid-week. You may revise or add a ballot anytime until the poll is indicated closed in the subject header.

The next poll will be 1929 followed by 1998.

REGARDING THE 2020 YEAR-END POLL

Because 2020 shut down much of the movie industry, we originally thought about skipping the year-end poll altogether. The final couple months did have a bunch highly regarded movies released, and maybe some other interesting movies that we may not know about. So it may worth to run the poll after all just to get a glimpse of what is out there.

However, many of these movies are only on demand on various platform and not sure about immediate accessibility to everyone, particularly that we have an international group here. Not sure how you guys feel about the year-end poll. Therefore, we let you guys vote on it in the above poll. You may comment about it in this thread if you like.

I would prefer earlier in the year if we are to run one, but 2020 was not an ordinary year. So there is a choice for Spring around April or Summer around July if we are to run the poll. I will announce the decision in the 1980 result thread.
Last edited by Rufus-T on January 28th, 2021, 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

:folded:
I was looking forward to the 2020 lookback poll this week... Yes this has been a difficult year for the movie industry for all the reasons we know but there was still plenty available. And as you say it would have been nice to show what was best or most favourite - I dont know anyone that cares about cinema who doesnt have a 2020 top, even if it is shorter than usual.

Can you at least add an option to the poll for the 2020 poll to start in Jan in parallel or instead of 1980 and to last until end Feb ?
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

1. Aus dem Leben der Marionetten (Ingmar Bergman)
2. El Nido (Jaime de Armiñán)
3. Mon oncle d'Amérique (Alain Resnais)
4. The Shining (Stanley Kubrick)
5. Die Verlobte (Günter Reisch & Günther Rücker)
6. Kagemusha (Akira Kurosawa)
7. Kuruizaki sanda rodo a.k.a. Crazy Thunder Road (Gakuryu Ishii)
8. Ko to tamo peva (Slobodan Sijan)
9. Constans (Krzysztof Zanussi)
10. Diskzokej (Jiri Barta)

1980 probably is one of my least favourite years; I'll try to catch up a little bit and make it at least a solid top 12 before the deadline
IMDb URLs
Last edited by pitchorneirda on January 17th, 2021, 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 »

1. The Night of the Hunted (Jean Rollin)
2. Simone Barbes or Virtue (Marie-Claude Treilhou)
3. Cruising (William Friedkin)
4. Babylon (Franco Rosso)
5. C'est la vie! (Paul Vecchiali)
6. Out of the Blue (Dennis Hopper)
7. Tyll the Giant (Rein Raamat)
8. Metaphor: King Vidor Meets with Andrew Wyeth (King Vidor)
9. Bad Timing (Nicolas Roeg)
10. Heaven’s Gate (Michael Cimino)
11. Zig~Zag (Raúl Ruiz)
12. Vivre est une solution (Gérard Courant)
13. Hollywood (Kevin Brownlow)
14. Palermo or Wolfsburg (Werner Schroeter)
15. My American Uncle (Alain Resnais)
16. Loulou (Maurice Pialat)
17. The Age of the Earth (Glauber Rocha)
18. Personal Problems (Bill Gunn)
19. Grabbe’s Last Summer (Sohrab Shahid Saless)
20. Larisa (Elem Klimov)
Spoiler
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

I haven't participated in very many of these polls, just for the bare fact that I haven't really seen that many movies on a year-by-year basis. That being said, here's my top 10 for 1980:

1. The Elephant Man
2. Ordinary People
3. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
4. The Long Good Friday
5. Gregory's Girl
6. The Shining
7. Raging Bull
8. Popeye
9. Airplane!
10. The Blues Brothers
11. The Big Red One
Spoiler
Last edited by beasterne on January 14th, 2021, 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rufus-T

Post by Rufus-T »

hurluberlu wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 7:19 pm :folded:
I was looking forward to the 2020 lookback poll this week... Yes this has been a difficult year for the movie industry for all the reasons we know but there was still plenty available. And as you say it would have been nice to show what was best or most favourite - I dont know anyone that cares about cinema who doesnt have a 2020 top, even if it is shorter than usual.

Can you at least add an option to the poll for the 2020 poll to start in Jan in parallel or instead of 1980 and to last until end Feb ?
Thanks for the comment and suggestion. Yes, it was a very discouraging year for those of us who follow-up on the new movies. I don't remember the last time I didn't see a new movie in the Summer until 2020. Only the last couple weeks that I start reconsidering the year-end poll after I have read about the new movies releasing on the online platform (Netflix , etc) and saw a couple of them.

Another option is to start the poll earlier and run in parallel with the next few year-by-year polls if the group choose to have it run, and leave it up til my next turn in April for the tabulation. I really prefer not to have a parallel poll if can help it. It will take more time for me to catch up on 2020 than previous years, and I have the feeling the same for many others.
beavis

Post by beavis »

1 - Out of the Blue - 4.5
2 - Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back - 4.5
3 - Ming Jian - 4.5
4 - Shining, The - 4.5
5 - Altered States - 4.5
6 - Mon Oncle d'Amerique - 4.5
7 - Bye Bye Brasil - 4
8 - Citta delle Donne, La - 4
9 - Elephant Man, The - 4
10 - Voyage en Douce, Le - 4
11 - Rycerz - 4
12 - Atlantic City - 4
13 - Idade da Terra, A - 4
14 - Deutschland Bleiche Mutter - 4
15 - Terrazza, La - 4
16 - Proba de Microfon - 4
17 - Dirty Picture - 4
18 - Tsigoineruwaizen - 4
19 - Airplane! - 4
20 - Long Good Friday, The - 4
Spoiler
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

hurluberlu wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 7:19 pm I dont know anyone that cares about cinema who doesnt have a 2020 top, even if it is shorter than usual.
You know me.
I have seen four movies from 2020.
I haven't ranked them.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I think the summer would be the best time, especially to give pretty much every festival film time to be released and easily accessible, but April wouldn't be terrible. I have about 100 films left to see that are 2020 releases according to IMDb, and I don't think I'll get through many of them this month. I have a large list of films expiring from streaming services and hopefully virtual Sundance.
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

hurluberlu wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 7:19 pm I dont know anyone that cares about cinema who doesnt have a 2020 top, even if it is shorter than usual.
Well, as someone who does care about cinema - but who sees most new films in the cinema, and has had a hard time adjusting to the "new normal", I haven't even started making a top list. I've seen 13 2020 films and a few 2019 films that I'd count, like First Cow, but the best I could do right now is a top 4 or 5 and it would be a weak top 4 or 5. Re-orienting how I see things isn't easy at this point in life, although I do think I might be able to manage to see enough to make a stab at a list my the spring. If it's done in February like usual though I'd probably take a pass, which would make me sad.
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

Rufus-T wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 8:11 pm
hurluberlu wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 7:19 pm :folded:

Thanks for the comment and suggestion. Yes, it was a very discouraging year for those of us who follow-up on the new movies. I don't remember the last time I didn't see a new movie in the Summer until 2020. Only the last couple weeks that I start reconsidering the year-end poll after I have read about the new movies releasing on the online platform (Netflix , etc) and saw a couple of them.

Another option is to start the poll earlier and run in parallel with the next few year-by-year polls if the group choose to have it run, and leave it up til my next turn in April for the tabulation. I really prefer not to have a parallel poll if can help it. It will take more time for me to catch up on 2020 than previous years, and I have the feeling the same for many others.
Thanks Rufus, let see what the others have to say. I dont want to add extra work to you or the other hosts if it is not worth, starting early and closing in April could be an option.

ImageImageImageImage
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

joachimt wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 8:27 pm
You know me.
I have seen four movies from 2020.
I haven't ranked them.
Yes :lol:
And some always advocated to wait at least a full year before having the poll but this debate has always been there.

ImageImageImageImage
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

I'm a bit like OldAle, in that I'm very much invested in contemporary cinema, but do most of my current-movies watching in theaters. I do have a ranked list for 2020 because I keep my list updated through the year, but it's only 24-films long, with only 3 films rated 4 stars or above. That's pretty measly. It makes sense to me to postpone the poll for this year, but I guess I wouldn't particularly mind if we did it next month anyway.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

01) Heaven's Gate (Michael Cimino)
02) Raging Bull (Martin Scorsese)
03) Simone Barbes or Virtue (Marie-Claude Treilhou)
04) Cruising (William Friedkin)
05) Ordinary People (Robert Redford)

06) Cannibal Holocaust (Ruggero Deodato)
07) American Gigolo (Paul Schrader)
08) Inferno (Dario Argento)
09) Out of the Blue (Dennis Hopper)
10) The Shining (Stanley Kubrick)

11) Loulou (Maurice Pialat)
12) The Empire Strikes Back (Irvin Kershner)
13) Dressed to Kill (Brian De Palma)
14) Popeye (Robert Altman)
15) Gloria (John Cassavetes)

16) Bad Timing (Nicolas Roeg)
17) Atlantic City (Louis Malle)
18) The Elephant Man (David Lynch)
19) Motel Hell (Kevin Connor)
20) Empty Suitcases (Bette Gordon)
Spoiler
Last edited by kongs_speech on January 19th, 2021, 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
🏳️‍⚧️
klaus78
Donator

Post by klaus78 »

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

1. The Shining (Kubrick)
2. The Age of the Earth (Rocha)
3. My American Uncle (Resnais)
4. Berlin Alexanderplatz (Fassbinder)
5. The Empire Strikes Back (Kershner)
6. The Night of the Hunted (Rollin)
7. Personal Problems (Gunn)
8. Kagemusha (Kurosawa)
9. Every Man for Himself (Godard)
10. Heaven's Gate (Cimino)
11. Out of the Blue (Hopper)
12. Lacrima Christi (Hernandez)
13. Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe (Morris)
14. He Likes to Chop Down Trees (Pierce)
15. Raging Bull (Scorsese)
16. The Big Red One (Fuller)
17. Permanent Vacation (Jarmusch)
18. Amor (Beavers)
19. Nocturne (von Trier)
20. Cruising (Friedkin)

EDIT: Sorry, wanted to get in a few last-minute viewings, but links added!
Spoiler
Last edited by prodigalgodson on January 25th, 2021, 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Re:2020 - I'm in the same boat as Joachim. I've seen 5 films from 2020, but I'd probably only consider including 3 of them in my Top list.

1980 is one of my weakest years post-1950, but I made some headway last year and have a few more unseen classics lined up, so I will likely cobble together a list before the deadline with 10-15 films.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Rufus-T wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 8:11 pm It will take more time for me to catch up on 2020 than previous years, and I have the feeling the same for many others.
Exactly. This is why I argued last year that the poll for the previous year should be held later than it usually is. I know that there are plenty of people who keep up with new releases regularly, but there are also many people who only get to new releases after they hit video or once they move to foreign markets. If we waited on this poll until the summer or fall, the result would be a much more accurate picture of the forum's actual collective opinion.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

blocho wrote: January 4th, 2021, 2:28 am
Rufus-T wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 8:11 pm It will take more time for me to catch up on 2020 than previous years, and I have the feeling the same for many others.
Exactly. This is why I argued last year that the poll for the previous year should be held later than it usually is. I know that there are plenty of people who keep up with new releases regularly, but there are also many people who only get to new releases after they hit video or once they move to foreign markets. If we waited on this poll until the summer or fall, the result would be a much more accurate picture of the forum's actual collective opinion.
I agree with this 100%. I think giving people until the summer to catch up is very fair.
🏳️‍⚧️
Caracortada

Post by Caracortada »

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

Well, whenever we do the poll it reflects the forum’s opinion at this given time: the more we wait, the larger the base of watched films is. That is why we keep doing these polls.

The yearly poll we used to do at the turn of the year is more of a traditional snapshot alongside with other lookbacks and resolutions for the new year: it was never meant to be exhaustive or definitive.

@Rufus: could you please indicate in the thread title that this debate over 2020 is taking place on top of 1980 postings ?

ImageImageImageImage
timshelboy

Post by timshelboy »

I enjoy the best of polls at the end of year and would like one even though it won't be typical year.Spring would be good as gong season will be over and we will have more time to track down likely suspects.

One tip for anyone wanting recs. CALM WITH HORSES -easilymy best of year. It had cinema release the week UK went into first lockdown to rave reviews and a 97 per cent fresh rating - but of course nobody could go and see it. It got Amazon prime distribution and now has re release on back of being the front runner at UK independent awards .Strongly recommended- it won't appeal to all - too dark and violent - but if you like your thrillers gripping and gritty look no further. A wonderful rural coast of Eire setting adds greatly to the atmosphere. Cosmo Jarvis plays the lead and he will be huge.

Thanks for organising these :D :cheers:
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

1. Nárcisz és Psyché (1980, Gábor Bódy)
2. Raging Bull (1980, Martin Scorsese)
3. Mon oncle d'Amérique (1980, Alain Resnais)
4. Lásky mezi kapkami deste / Love Between the Raindrops (1980, Karel Kachyna)
5. Atlantic City (1980, Louis Malle)

6. Panelstory aneb Jak se rodí sídliste / Prefab Story (1980, Vera Chytilová)
7. Tsigoineruwaizen (1980, Seijun Suzuki)
8. The Shining (1980, Stanley Kubrick)
9. Le dernier métro / The Last Metro (1980, François Truffaut)
10. The Elephant Man (1980, David Lynch)

11. Loulou (1980, Maurice Pialat)
12. Solo Sunny (1980, Konrad Wolf)
13. Postav dom, zasad strom / Build a House, Plant a Tree (1980, Juraj Jakubisko)
14. Berlin Chamissoplatz (1980, Rudolf Thome)
15. Poznavaya belyy svet / Getting to Know the Big Wide World (1980, Kira Muratova)

16. Csontváry (1980, Zoltán Huszárik)
17. C'est la vie! (1980, Paul Vecchiali)
18. Sauve qui peut (la vie) / Slow Motion (1980, Jean-Luc Godard)
19. The Falls (1980, Peter Greenaway)
20. Bizalom / Confidence (1980, Istvan Szabo)

Honorable Mentions:

Stardust Memories (1980, Woody Allen)
Honeysuckle Rose (1980, Jerry Schatzberg)
A Idade da Terra / The Age of the Earth (1980, Glauber Rocha)
Heaven's Gate (1980, Michael Cimino)
Gloria (1980, John Cassavetes)
Neskolko dney iz zhizni I.I. Oblomova (1980, Nikita Mikhalkov)
Where The Buffalo Roam (1980, Art Linson)
Deutschland bleiche Mutter / Germany Pale Mother (1980, Helma Sanders-Brahms)
The Long Good Friday (1980, John Mackenzie)

Catherine de Heilbronn (1980, Éric Rohmer)
Fábián Bálint találkozása Istennel / Balint Fabian Meets God (1980, Zoltán Fábri)
Aus dem Leben der Marionetten (1980, Ingmar Bergman)
Altered States (1980, Ken Russell)
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980, Irvin Kershner)
Permanent Vacation (1980, Jim Jarmusch)
Bad Timing (1980, Nicholas Roeg)
Ordinary People (1980, Robert Redford)
Dressed to Kill (1980, Brian De Palma)

Links:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081254/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081398/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081176/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077883/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080388/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079694/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081662/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081505/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080610/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080678/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081076/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079924/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0171648/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080430/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079744/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080577/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0198350/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079854/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080715/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078868/
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

hurluberlu wrote: January 4th, 2021, 8:47 am
Well, whenever we do the poll it reflects the forum’s opinion at this given time: the more we wait, the larger the base of watched films is. That is why we keep doing these polls.

The yearly poll we used to do at the turn of the year is more of a traditional snapshot alongside with other lookbacks and resolutions for the new year: it was never meant to be exhaustive or definitive.

@Rufus: could you please indicate in the thread title that this debate over 2020 is taking place on top of 1980 postings ?
In normal times I would totally agree with you and am all for doing past year polls right after the end of the year. To capture the momentum of the end of the year mood and see what people liked the past year. And while doing a poll later in the year could give more people to catch up with the year, this argument could indeed be stretched indefinitely cause nobody is ever completely caught up on any year. The end of the year list is indeed a nice interesting snapshot of what we liked last year and good way to get recommendations, and not meant as the definite list of that year (is any list?)

But 2020 is a very abnormal year. I fear that if we do the poll now, very few people could contribute an interesting and worthwhile list. I myself also am one of those people that normally is pretty up to date on contemporary cinema and has no problem producing end of the year list. But this year I've seen only a handful of movies, of which only one would possibly make my list. Although honestly I think I'm probably not that much better caught up on 2020 in July than in April than I'm now. Cause my viewing habits probably won't change that much the coming months from what it was last year.

Still am for postponing the 2020 poll, cause I think more people beside me will be able to make a qualitative list.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Yes, I can not yet contribute to 2020. I am usually able to participate by spring thanks to heavy watching when the films become available - but I would prefer it to be placed in the summer. If not (and that option is losing) I'm sure I can muster up a list by the deadline just as in previous years.
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 »

I think it makes sense to kick the 2020 poll out to the Summer months and give people the opportunity to see at least some of last year's films, given the extraordinary circumstances. July is the option I voted for.
That's all, folks!
insomnius

Post by insomnius »

re 2020
Normally it takes me 2-3 years to adequately catch up with a recent year and therefore I rarely take part in the year-end poll. Oddly enough, I've seen more than usual in the past year thanks to a lot of festivals moving online instead, so I could probably come up with 20 titles already. But I don't mind us postponing it a bit if others feel like it, as long as we run it at some point during the year.
Jimi Antiloop

Post by Jimi Antiloop »

1. La città delle donne (Fellini)
2. Shining (Kubrick)
3. Aus dem Leben der Marionetten (Bergman)
4. Altered States (Rusell)
5. Mon oncle d'Amérique (Resnais)
6. Somewhere in Time (Szwarc)
7. Airplane! (Abrahams; Zucker)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080539
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081505
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080397
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080360
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081176
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081534
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080339
Last edited by Jimi Antiloop on January 5th, 2021, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ICM: :letbxd: :Crtiticker: Reality Checks on :imdb:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”― Philip K. Dick
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

ICM
May Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!
viktor-vaudevillain

Post by viktor-vaudevillain »

Just checked my watchlist for this year... and wow, there's SO much stuff I'm looking forward to watching.

1. Arising from the Surface
2. Stephen / Esthappan
3. Getting to Know the Big, Wide World
4. Arrival
5. Sweet Love Remembered
6. Loulou
7. Dis-moi
8. Gloria
9. Zig-Zag - le jeu de l'oie (Une fiction didactique à propos de la cartographie) / Snakes and Ladders
10. American Gigolo
11. Empty Suitcases
12. From the Life of the Marionettes
13. Suur Tõll
14. Amor
15. Permanent Vacation
16. Solo
17. Atlantic City
18. Dressed to Kill
19. A légy
20. He Likes to Chop Down Trees
Spoiler
Last edited by viktor-vaudevillain on January 24th, 2021, 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
not everything is fish, but fish are teeming everywhere
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

let me know if any discrepancies. My coffee hit a snag. :down:

1. The Shining
2. Dressed to Kill
3. Altered States
4. The Ninth Configuration
5. Cannibal Holocaust
6. Fame
7. Paura nella città dei morti viventi aka 'City of the Living Dead'
8. Out of the Blue
9. Motel Hell
10. Alligator
11. La nuit des traquées aka 'The Night of the Hunted'
12. La nuit de la mort! aka 'Night of Death'
13. The Changeling
14. The Stunt Man
15. Raging Bull
16. The Long Good Friday
17. The Elephant Man
18. La mort en direct aka 'Death Watch'
19. Deadline
20. Krvavá pani
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

timshelboy wrote: January 4th, 2021, 9:44 am One tip for anyone wanting recs. CALM WITH HORSES -easilymy best of year. It had cinema release the week UK went into first lockdown to rave reviews and a 97 per cent fresh rating - but of course nobody could go and see it. It got Amazon prime distribution and now has re release on back of being the front runner at UK independent awards .Strongly recommended- it won't appeal to all - too dark and violent - but if you like your thrillers gripping and gritty look no further. A wonderful rural coast of Eire setting adds greatly to the atmosphere. Cosmo Jarvis plays the lead and he will be huge.
Yeah that was a good one. Pretty heavy, modern noir kinda. Impressive for a debut. It's on Netflix now, at least in UK.

btw your mention of UK independent awards inspired me to add a list of all the nominees. Makes for quite a nice list to work of for fans of contemporary British:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/bifa ... rokenface/
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

1. The Shining
2. Breaker Morant
3. Atlantic City
4. Hopscotch
5. Caddyshack
6. Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears
7. The Elephant Man
8. Raging Bull
9. The Club
10. The Blues Brothers
11. The Long Good Friday

Honorable Mentions: Dressed to Kill, Garlic Is as Good as Ten Mothers, the Ninth Configuration, Airplane!, Gregory's Girl, Kagemusha
The Worst: Heaven's Gate

Spoiler
Mifune

Post by Mifune »

Not a big fan of that decade, but 1980 looks like a decent year for me. Looking forward to the results!

1. Cruising
2. Berlin Alexanderplatz
3. Dressed to Kill
4. The Elephant Man
5. American Gigolo
6. The Shining
7. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
8. Gregory's Girl
9. Stardust Memories
10. Cannibal Holocaust

Spoiler
> 500 german movie reviews - Filmsucht.org