Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

Knockout Competition 2020-2021

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Coryn

Knockout Competition 2020-2021

Post by Coryn »

Hi folks

It's been a year since the finals started of the knockoutcompetition between the 512 most favorited movies on our beloved icheckmovies website.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) defeated Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (1966) in an intense final with 17 votes to 16. The fact we got 33 votes on the last day of the competition which lasted for months made me think about organizing something similar again.

It is light fun, it keeps people active on the forum and it sometimes gives unexpected results and discussions.

Now I was wondering what you would prefer though, I am definitely going to do 256 instead of 512 movies to make it a little less extensive. The three options I had in mind (but please tell me if something else would be more interesting) are :

- 256 Most Disliked Movies
- 256 Most Favorited 21st Century
- 256 Most Checked 21st Century

Last time all quarter finalists were made in the 20th century so a 21st century knockout seems interesting. Most dislikes was proposed last time around as there are going to be some very interesting matchups. If you feel like something else would be better , please let me know but keep in mind that the movies used can't be too niche because this is supposed to be a competition where people can vote most of the days without having to make an effort to watch movies. We have enough challenges, FOTW, festival, watchlists, ... to make an effort on.

Cheers !
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

With 256 most disliked, you mean the 256 movies with the most dislikes on iCM? And then we would be voting for which we most like or dislike?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

joachimt wrote: December 18th, 2020, 2:34 pm With 256 most disliked, you mean the 256 movies with the most dislikes on iCM? And then we would be voting for which we most like or dislike?
That's a good question :lol: I guess the ones we dislike the most
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

A great idea to bring this back, Coryn!

I think the game is best when more people have seen the movies involved, so 256 Most Checked 21st Century would probably be the best list to use, even though I'm guessing it has plenty of movies I haven't seen and plenty I can't stand.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Definitely works better for more known movies indeed.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

I like the idea of doing "most disliked", but the problem with it - if we use the films with the most ICM dislikes that is - is that only people that have really focused on blockbusters/box office lists will have seen a large percentage of the films. Lots of Michael Bay, Twilight, Adam Sandler, etc, populating that list, and I don't know how enthusiastic most of us would be for a rankdown that is primarily that kind of shit - and just looking at the first couple of pages of the list I've seen less than 2/3 of the choices, so I don't know that I'd want to participate. Then again there probably are enough people who have seen most of them.

In any case I tend to agree that "most checked" works better than "most favorited" generally; if most of the players are missing 10-20-30% of the films, I just don't know that it would work very well.
Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway »

Liked, disliked and checked are all counting lists and are pretty much going to be identical, just in a different order.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

So I feel like the interest is kinda on the low side and there isn't a real consensus on what we should try. I think it's really important that the movies have a decent amount of checks. Most checked is probably a better choice than most favorited as it will have some unexpected matchups.

Most disliked might be fun but it's kinda risky because people might get bored to vote for or against Twilight and Transformers.

In general I think we're going to have the best bet to go for Most Checked 21st Century.

Then again, if the interest is not there it might be better to focus somewhere else on the forum.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

If you get it going, I think people will participate. It's easy to participate and it's fun. Not a lot of commitment needed to be active, like in the WC.

WIth most checked 21st century, do you mean the most checked titles from the 21st century or from the 21st century list? Quite a difference. I'd prefer the first, I think. Let's make it mainstream.
ICM-profile
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

joachimt wrote: December 21st, 2020, 2:19 pm If you get it going, I think people will participate. It's easy to participate and it's fun. Not a lot of commitment needed to be active, like in the WC.

WIth most checked 21st century, do you mean the most checked titles from the 21st century or from the 21st century list? Quite a difference. I'd prefer the first, I think. Let's make it mainstream.
First indeed, there needs to be a good mix of all kinds of movies but foremost they need to be known.

I'm willing to start it off tomorrow and see what happens along the way. If it bores people out or it doesn't get off the ground it's no problem.

I think most people seem to be fine with most checked 21st century and I am actually pretty unsure what kind of movie will come out on top, for all time it was kinda obvious which ones where going to get really far (e.g. 2001).
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

PS: Joachimt or anyone else who knows how

I don't know how to extract the 256 most checked movies from the 21st century from icm. Could you teach me how please ?
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Coryn wrote: December 21st, 2020, 3:22 pm PS: Joachimt or anyone else who knows how

I don't know how to extract the 256 most checked movies from the 21st century from icm. Could you teach me how please ?
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/iche ... t+checked/

Here's the first 250 ;)

I haven't reacted yet here, but I'm definitely down with whatever choice is being made.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Coryn wrote: December 21st, 2020, 3:22 pm PS: Joachimt or anyone else who knows how

You can use this java-script:
https://we.tl/t-HkqPpKardr

Use this as starting page:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/?sort=checks
Set it to extract enough pages to get 256 titles from the 21st century. How many? 1000 titles should be enough. Then you need 40 pages.
The script will give you a csv with IMDb-urls of those 1000 movies.
After that create an iCM-list of those. Export the list and filter on year in Excel.

If you want me to do it, let me know.
ICM-profile
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

I did some scraping with Python and obtained this:

Download link: https://1fichier.com/?yr84mffpucpmjz3lq9zh
You'll have 3 columns: title, year, IMDb link
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Is 2000 21st century or not?
ICM-profile
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Thanks for all the replies !

I'm gonna say no to 2000 films if you guys are okay with that.
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

joachimt wrote: December 21st, 2020, 6:47 pm Is 2000 21st century or not?
To me it isn't but I could rerun my code to include movies from 2000 if needed
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Not that I care, but why wouldn't 2000 be part of the 21st century?
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Onderhond wrote: December 21st, 2020, 10:00 pm Not that I care, but why wouldn't 2000 be part of the 21st century?
There's no year 0.

The 1st century starts in year 1 and ends in year 100.
The 2nd century starts on January 1st, 101 and ends on December 31st, 200
The 21st century starts on January 1st, 2001 and ends on December 31st, 2100
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

It seems my education has failed me! I was certain there was a year zero :D
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I would include the year 2000. Every other "21st Century" list I've seen does. Yes, there was no year 0, but our 2000s decade lists include the year 2000, and all of our decade lists go from xxx0-xxx9, not from xxx1-xxx0. Why change the convention specifically for this game?
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Ive had the same thought this night to be fair when checking the 21st century lists but im okay with both to be fair.

Pitchor, would you mkind making another list, now including 2000 ?
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Coryn wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 8:18 am Ive had the same thought this night to be fair when checking the 21st century lists but im okay with both to be fair.

Pitchor, would you mkind making another list, now including 2000 ?
Sure :)

https://1fichier.com/?23ofxo4mbvm699zr0oar