Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

iCM Forum's Favourite TV-series 2nd edition; Nominations

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes

Should mini-series be eliglble for this poll? (See OP for definition)

Poll ended at December 14th, 2020, 3:23 pm

Yes, all mini-series should be allowed.
24%
No, mini-series according to the definition in the OP with maximum 16 episode shouldn't be allowed
45%
No, mini-series according to the definition in the OP but with a shorter maximum amount episodes shouldn't be allowed (max. episodes TBD (4,6,8?))
22%
Don't care/know
8%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 49

Lonewolf2003
Donator

iCM Forum's Favourite TV-series 2nd edition; Nominations

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

iCM Forum's Favourite TV-series
2nd edition
Nominations

Five years ago, when the world was much different still, we chose our favorite tv-series. Now it's time to do so again. Cause next to movies, many of us also like to watch series.

Mini-series are ineligible for this poll!
A mini-series is 16 episodes or less, not multiple seasons, and not planned to be longer but canceled, and is intended as a single unified work and not episodic.

To be clear while this poll is called tv-series, series released directly to streaming-services are eligible. Cause streaming-services our widely understood as "tv".

Some help:
Tv-series you rated on IMDb

DEALINE = 31 DECEMBER 2020
You can already start submitting list, but be aware what's admissible might change still.
  • Lists can be any length.
  • Each nominee can only be named once (of course)
  • Lists can be ranked or unranked or partially-ranked. In a partially-ranked list, the top X films are ranked and everything after that point is unranked. When not specified I will consider a list as ranked.
Half-life last time was 20 and list length was 100, unless there are solid reasons to deviate from they will be the same this time.
Participant = 45
Please check if your list is stated, ordered and linked correctly. And is set to public. For iCM lists you can also set it to "Friends" and befriend me.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on January 6th, 2021, 1:47 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls082111039/

On my watchlist (to be seen in January, most likely):

One Piece
Steins;Gate
Fleabag
The Legend of Korra
arritame no yume nikki & I suppose I’ll have to add the force of gravity to my list of enemies
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I posted a list on my Facebook yesterday and it was just Daria listed 10 times. That's my ballot here too. :lol:
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I think we should include mini-series.

I think the most important issue is: What would be most useful to the people who are going to use the list? I think most people who are looking for TV shows to watch would be interested in both mini-series and longer series. It's convenient to have them all in one place, rather than having to look at 2 different lists. For example, suppose my goal is to watch the top 100 series (including both long and short). I won't know how many of each to watch, unless they're both in the same list. If people want to know which longer series made the list, you can always post a filtered version later.

If we include mini-series, not only would it be consistent with our previous poll, but it would be consistent with every other TV list (most of them include mini-series).

Lastly, I think it'll look strange if we have a TV list that includes short series like Firefly and Fawlty Towers, but excludes Dekalog and Berlin Alexanderplatz.
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

We include mini-series in every poll under the argument that they're more like film than TV. Seems weird to say now that they're more like TV, no? People can survive without Lynch, Kieslowski and Fassbinder at the top of a list for once, I'm sure.
Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa »

It feels weird to not include mini-series. Both the tv-series poll and the mini-series poll are polls that don't occur on icm that often. If they were yearly annual polls then I would feel more fine otherwise to make an exclusion, but these polls rarely occur on this forum. Definitely weird when the definition used to describe mini-series include tv shows that can have up to 16 episodes, and 16 episodes is basically a full one season in multiple countries and not mini at all. If the definition was something like 4 or 6 or possibly even 8 or 10 episodes is a mini-series, then I would be more fine with the exclusion, but 16 episodes is a lot.
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

Teproc wrote: December 5th, 2020, 6:39 pm We include mini-series in every poll under the argument that they're more like film than TV. Seems weird to say now that they're more like TV, no?
+1
Teproc wrote: December 5th, 2020, 6:39 pm People can survive without Lynch, Kieslowski [...] I'm sure.
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Teproc wrote: December 5th, 2020, 6:39 pm We include mini-series in every poll under the argument that they're more like film than TV.
They're like films, and they're like TV, so I think it makes sense to include them in both polls.

If we can't reach an agreement, then how about we vote on it?
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

When did we do the miniseries poll? If it was in the past two years, then I feel like the TV series poll should not include them. I remember that we also had a long discussion in order to come up with a definition that differentiates TV series from miniseries. That seems like a good standard that we should use again.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

blocho wrote: December 5th, 2020, 7:39 pm When did we do the miniseries poll? If it was in the past two years, then I feel like the TV series poll should not include them. I remember that we also had a long discussion in order to come up with a definition that differentiates TV series from miniseries. That seems like a good standard that we should use again.
We had the mini-series poll in February 2020 (results posted in early March).

One is a subset of the other. Excluding mini-series from a TV list is like excluding martial arts from an action list.

I think the mini-series poll was useful, because a lot of people (especially on this forum) are more interested in shorter series than longer series. I don't think the reverse is true. I think most TV fans watch both longer and shorter series.
Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity »

We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

@Lonewolf: I'm not sure if you want to make a poll, but if you do, I guess we have 4 options:

Allow series with >16 episodes
Allow series with >16 episodes + shorter series that were ineligible for the mini-series poll (multiple seasons, or planned to be longer but cancelled)
Allow series with >4 (or 6?) episodes
Allow series with at least 2 episodes
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

I actually agree that mini-series are a subset of TV series... but I think that argument should very clearly lead them to being ineligible for film polls. Which is quite obviously not how this forum in general feels about it, so I'm quite confused about the notion that they should also be included here.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Teproc wrote: December 5th, 2020, 10:12 pm I actually agree that mini-series are a subset of TV series... but I think that argument should very clearly lead them to being ineligible for film polls. Which is quite obviously not how this forum in general feels about it, so I'm quite confused about the notion that they should also be included here.
I think one of the reasons why we include them in film polls is because that's what other lists do (e.g. S&S, TSPDT, 1001 MYMSBYD, NYT1000).
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

And because it allows to "save" works from major authors from that terrible fate of being called TV. I shudder just to think of it.
Rufus-T

Post by Rufus-T »

This is going to be an interesting poll. Rarely do I see people rank TV series, so I would look forward to see the result. As for mini-series, we just did one not long ago. Mini-series are just one long movie, so I would agree not to include so we will have a pure TV series list. Though it might be obvious in most case, I think it might help to define a TV series like defining a mini-series to distinguish between the two, or that they could have overlap like a 1 season series that could have been renewed but didn't.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Here's my ranked list from IMDb. It's a little wonky so hopefully I can get to it and fix it up a little before the deadline. And before anyone asks, after having 6 kids I do have a lot of appreciation for children's shows as I spent a lot of time watching them. https://www.imdb.com/list/ls066624488/
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

mjf314 wrote: December 5th, 2020, 8:54 pm @Lonewolf: I'm not sure if you want to make a poll, but if you do, I guess we have 4 options:

Allow series with >16 episodes
Allow series with >16 episodes + shorter series that were ineligible for the mini-series poll (multiple seasons, or planned to be longer but cancelled)
Allow series with >4 (or 6?) episodes
Allow series with at least 2 episodes
I will let the discussion go on for today at least to see where it leads to. If I do a poll it will probably be with three options:
Don’t allow mini-series
Allow mini-series with given definition
Allow mini-series with given definition but lower episode amount ( not sure yet what that amount should be, I was thinking 4,6 or 8.)

shorter series that were ineligible for the mini-series poll (multiple seasons, or planned to be longer but cancelled) are already eligible for this poll.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Teproc wrote: December 5th, 2020, 10:12 pm I actually agree that mini-series are a subset of TV series... but I think that argument should very clearly lead them to being ineligible for film polls. Which is quite obviously not how this forum in general feels about it, so I'm quite confused about the notion that they should also be included here.
I agree and would also be for them to be ineligible for film polls.

While I understand mjfs argument that people looking for a series list want them included, cause they are a subset. I also understand the opposite argument that people want this list to be purely about tv-series.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Like Cocoa said earlier, some countries have a standard TV show length of 16 or less. It seems strange to me to exclude what some countries consider a standard TV show.

In anime, the standard length of a 1-cour series is 11-13 episodes. Within the anime community, these have always been considered TV shows, and an anime mini-series is typically around 2-6 episodes (they're usually OVAs).

In J-dramas (Japanese live-action), the standard length is 10-12 episodes, and in K-dramas (Korean) it's 16 episodes.

Also, like I said before: If we include mini-series, we can always filter it to make a long-series-only list. The reverse is impossible. We can't combine a mini-series list and a long-series list into a single list, because they won't have the same set of participants.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Teproc wrote: December 5th, 2020, 10:12 pm I actually agree that mini-series are a subset of TV series... but I think that argument should very clearly lead them to being ineligible for film polls.
I'm with you.
toromash

Post by toromash »

icheckmovies.com/lists/best+tv-series/toromash/

Note: I couldn't find The Wire and Fargo in the searchbar (weird). So i just placed something equivalent to solve the issue, and its clear that its these 2 series placed in their respective rank.

Regarding Mini-series i wouldn't care in theory, but my guess is that if they are allowed to exist in the list, we will see the usual suspects at the top (Dekalog, Berlin Alexanderplatz etc). While this says something about the best series from a forum perspective, it will also be heavily biased because many users has seen these compared to regular series because of their official status and shorter runtime. In my eyes it would be like cheating given the nature of the site.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

toromash wrote: December 6th, 2020, 9:21 pm Note: I couldn't find The Wire and Fargo in the searchbar (weird). So i just placed something equivalent to solve the issue, and its clear that its these 2 series placed in their respective rank.
Update it with the tab "by IMDb Movie url(s)". Use the right IMDb-link. If you simply put something equivalent in the spot, your vote won't be counted, because the process is automated by IMDb-urls.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

joachimt wrote: December 6th, 2020, 9:30 pm
toromash wrote: December 6th, 2020, 9:21 pm Note: I couldn't find The Wire and Fargo in the searchbar (weird). So i just placed something equivalent to solve the issue, and its clear that its these 2 series placed in their respective rank.
Update it with the tab "by IMDb Movie url(s)". Use the right IMDb-link. If you simply put something equivalent in the spot, your vote won't be counted, because the process is automated by IMDb-urls.
Indeed cause the results are calculated by a program I can’t and won’t correct these.
Here are the correct entries
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/the+wire/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/fargo-2014-1/
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

mjf314 wrote: December 6th, 2020, 6:37 pm Like Cocoa said earlier, some countries have a standard TV show length of 16 or less. It seems strange to me to exclude what some countries consider a standard TV show.

In anime, the standard length of a 1-cour series is 11-13 episodes. Within the anime community, these have always been considered TV shows, and an anime mini-series is typically around 2-6 episodes (they're usually OVAs).

In J-dramas (Japanese live-action), the standard length is 10-12 episodes, and in K-dramas (Korean) it's 16 episodes.

Also, like I said before: If we include mini-series, we can always filter it to make a long-series-only list. The reverse is impossible. We can't combine a mini-series list and a long-series list into a single list, because they won't have the same set of participants.
You make a good argument. Maybe the definition in the OP is too American centered, where the difference between mini and regular tv-series is much more about intent (a mini-series is intended single unified work and written completely in advance) than episode amount. In other countries and anime where single season tv-series are more common this distinction might be more difficult to make
sebby

Post by sebby »

The list will be significantly more interesting by excluding miniseries. That's all I'll say.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

zzzorf wrote: December 6th, 2020, 9:41 am Here's my ranked list from IMDb. It's a little wonky so hopefully I can get to it and fix it up a little before the deadline. And before anyone asks, after having 6 kids I do have a lot of appreciation for children's shows as I spent a lot of time watching them. https://www.imdb.com/list/ls066624488/
Ayy nice, my dad was an editor on both Once Upon a Time and The 100.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

If we're defining mini-series as 16 episodes or less, I'm still including the new Twin Peaks, but I'll keep out Berlin Alexanderplatz, World on a Wire, and Scenes from a Marriage (the former two of which I saw theatrically anyway, and can't consider tv experiences in any way).

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls082149065/
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

@Lonewolf: Whatever your decision is regarding mini-series, I hope you make it soon, because I think it's important that everyone follows the same rules.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

mjf314 wrote: December 7th, 2020, 5:16 am @Lonewolf: Whatever your decision is regarding mini-series, I hope you make it soon, because I think it's important that everyone follows the same rules.
I added a poll.

Poll will run for a week, but if the results are clearer soon we can reach a conclusion before that maybe.

For people already making a list already, I suggest to include mini-series for now, cause it's probably easier to delete them later from your list than to add and rank them afterwards.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I voted yes, but my 2nd choice is no with a shorter maximum.
Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa »

I voted for mini-series with a shorter maximum amount shouldn't be allowed. My second preference is for all mini-series to be allowed.

I still need to make my own list. It's hard when I haven't rewatched most of the shows I loved that I originally watched 10+, 15+, 20+ years ago.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Edit: I made a new version of my list without mini-series. I posted the link later in this thread.
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: December 5th, 2020, 1:46 pm Half-life last time was 20 and list length was 100, unless there are solid reasons to deviate from they will be the same this time.
20 seems a little bit low to me, but maybe look at the results before you make the decision, and see what half-life produces the best results.
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

The mini-series drama ...... again ? ;)
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

mjf314 wrote: December 7th, 2020, 8:07 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote: December 5th, 2020, 1:46 pm Half-life last time was 20 and list length was 100, unless there are solid reasons to deviate from they will be the same this time.
20 seems a little bit low to me, but maybe look at the results before you make the decision, and see what half-life produces the best results.
Of course, I will look at average list size to see if 20 is still a good half life to use
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

ranked: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/favo ... beasterne/

I voted for no mini-series to be included...personally I see mini-series, or limited series, as more distinct from TV shows than ever. Telling a self-contained story makes these much more of a film than a tv show. So I excluded all mini-series from my list, even if I may have included them a couple years ago.

I wouldn't be opposed to a poll where we rank mini-series alongside self-contained seasons of tv shows.