Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, April nominations (Apr 1st)

ICM Forum's Favourite Directors 2020: Due Mon Jan 4

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Gordon_Gekko

Post by Gordon_Gekko »

Torgo wrote: January 12th, 2021, 1:43 am
Gordon_Gekko wrote: December 30th, 2020, 12:22 pm Target for next year are more asian and spanish (speaking) films.
Great start in the new year everyone.
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091893654/
Wow Gordon, we share many of our top favorites! Fingers crossed for a neat outcome of results.
Now if you're even going to increase the Asian part
:cheers: Hope so too.

Last year was very focused on frech directors and eastern europe (thanks to the guy with the reference to easterneuropeanfilms.com.) But this year will be...tora tora tora. ;)

Btw: your rating of Jaws? Didn't see it in the first eight films from Spielberg :mw_confused:
Mifune

Post by Mifune »

Torgo wrote: January 12th, 2021, 1:43 am
Obgeoff wrote: January 1st, 2021, 6:42 pm Top 5 new entrants:
13. Masaki Kobayashi
I haven't seen many of the titles in his filmography, but those are almost ridiculously perfect. My average rating probably is like 9/10. To direct Seppuku, 3x The Human Condition and Kaidan in succession and still be a relatively unknown name to Western film circles ..
Not quite in succession, because between The Human Condition and Harakiri, he directed the (of course) also great The Inheritance, which is a "smaller" film, but no lesser work. In this one, Kobayashi goes all-in on the style of the japanese new wave und combines it with a film noir attitude. Really interesting, uncommon work!

I usually dont like posting links to blogs in forums, but I wrote about this one and since youre german aswell and seem to be interested in Kobayashi - my german review.
> 500 german movie reviews - Filmsucht.org
1SO

Post by 1SO »

I missed the cutoff for submitting a list (though I now see I could've made it in even once I noticed). Kobayashi is my #17 and I had to go deep into his filmography to find that Somewhere Beneath the Wide Sky and Sincere Heart are not up to his usual standard.

I don't know why you'd stop his success with Kaidan. After that was Samurai Rebellion, which is just as good
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: January 12th, 2021, 2:07 am Hoping I can start this Wednesday, I thought I had given myself enough lead time but some things came up that took priority. Now I'm busier, but in a more organized way so I think Wed is a reasonable target. Presentation might be a bit plain for the first few days, but that's better than delaying further.
I've been refreshing the forum since wednesday, any ETA ? :D
No pressure
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Coryn wrote: January 16th, 2021, 9:55 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote: January 12th, 2021, 2:07 am Hoping I can start this Wednesday, I thought I had given myself enough lead time but some things came up that took priority. Now I'm busier, but in a more organized way so I think Wed is a reasonable target. Presentation might be a bit plain for the first few days, but that's better than delaying further.
No pressure
Tomorrow I think.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: January 16th, 2021, 9:59 pm
Coryn wrote: January 16th, 2021, 9:55 pm
No pressure
Tomorrow I think.
Okay , no pressure though.
I'm just preparing to joing the directors challenge for this year as to set myself a new goal, looking forward :)
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

How's this going?
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

So ehm ... any news?
tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq »

Well, last year we started on Feb 14. So still theres time.. :D

But on a serious note, as I have said last time also, PA might be incredibly busy with other works esp around this time of the year. He already is taking care of so much ICM/forum related stuffs. Then there is a little thing called personal life. So I guess one of us should take over the direct and/or fav movies poll hereafter to ease his burden.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

tommy_leazaq wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 8:00 pm Well, last year we started on Feb 14. So still theres time.. :D

I think we'll have to bury the valentine wishes
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Peaceful is the forum's irreplaceable good soul. If something got in the way for him, so be it.
As much as we'd like to see some
Spoiler
RESULTS!! :circle:
.. I want no unnecessary hassle. The forum is just, you know, the forum. Thanks for your work so far!
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Torgo wrote: February 12th, 2021, 4:43 am Peaceful is the forum's irreplaceable good soul. If something got in the way for him, so be it.
As much as we'd like to see some
Spoiler
RESULTS!! :circle:
.. I want no unnecessary hassle. The forum is just, you know, the forum. Thanks for your work so far!
Hear hear! Hope PA is doing well.
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

I spent the evening experimenting my skills in Python and I might have the results of the poll...

I just need Carmel1379's list which is presently "not public" but I've experienced the same thing with my own list so this might be a bug...
Carmel1379 if you're around, could you export your list to CSV and send it to me?

However, I don't know anything about the code that is behind the display of the results (screenshots, rankings from previous years etc.) so I don't know if we're at a point where we prefer raw results without any fancy countdown, or we still prefer to wait for PA
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

I could probably do something like this:
Spoiler
#200 Pete Docter Points: 237.12 (7 Votes)
Top 1–5–10: 0–0–1

Key Film: Up (2009) – 17 Official Lists, also on IMdb
List of voters (7)
Does that interest you?
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

That looks good to me Pitch :)
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

pitchorneirda wrote: February 25th, 2021, 11:51 pm I could probably do something like this:
Spoiler
#200 Pete Docter Points: 237.12 (7 Votes)
Top 1–5–10: 0–0–1

Key Film: Up (2009) – 17 Official Lists, also on IMdb
List of voters (7)
Does that interest you?
Looks great! I say, let's go and don't wait for PA to show up.
Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff »

I’d give PA a chance to respond via PM before proceeding. He might appreciate the help if he is going through a difficult time.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Obgeoff wrote: Yesterday, 9:47 am I’d give PA a chance to respond via PM before proceeding. He might appreciate the help if he is going through a difficult time.
I'd say this. If he's even glad to get this off his chest for now, that's even better then.