Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Der Wald vor lauter Bäumen, April nominations (Apr 1st)

World Cup, Season 4, Match Final: Germany vs Poland (Dec 1st)

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

How come the movies left you so cold?

Such a pitiful counteroffensive will quickly get shut down.
Last edited by Armoreska on November 30th, 2020, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
kingink

Post by kingink »

1. Die Brücke / The Bridge 9/10
2. Czlowiek na torze / Man on the Tracks 7/10
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Image Die Brücke: 16
Image Czlowiek na torze: 9
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey »

1. Die Brücke (1959) 8/10
2. Czlowiek na torze (1957) 6/10

Thanks to everyone for a great world cup, looking forward to the next one! :cheers:
Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez »

Oh, I almost forgot about this!

1. Die Brücke
2. Czlowiek na torze

I love the fifties, pity I can't vote for both.
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

1. Die Brücke 8/10
2. Czlowiek na torze 7/10

Die Brücke is a favourite of mine, I revisited it last year to write a review which I have included below for anyone who is curious to read my thoughts. I enjoyed Czlowiek na torze but it is sadly up against stiff competition here. Thanks to both managers for their picks!
Spoiler
Anti-war films were rife in post-war Europe during the 1950s. World War Two left a devastating aftermath in its wake and this motivated many film-makers to use their voice so that others may learn from the mistakes of the past; with the sense of tragedy being somewhat heightened from the perspective of those countries which were literally torn apart by the fighting and bombing. The Bridge is one such highlight of this fascinating cinematic period, delivering a powerful message alongside a thrilling tale of heroism.

It took a while before anyone tackled a film from the focus of the German side of the war, and Austrian Director, Bernhard Wicki, stepped up to deliver a heartbreaking story of misguided ideals about seven German teenagers who are swept up in the follies of war. These boys are charged with guarding a bridge as their first ever assignment after being drafted into the army only a day before, and when their commandant is killed in an encounter away from this position, they are left unaware that it is set to be demolished the following day. This stirring tale shows how easily young minds can be corrupted into believing that war is merely a game, with this misconception being the cause of unnecessary bloodshed for both sides during the closing days of the war.

The seven young boys we are introduced to are blissfully unaware of the horrors or perils of warfare. They are a tight-knit group of school friends who are at the age where they will get as excited over visiting a new bomb site or building a stock car with their teacher as they do getting their hands on alcohol or trying their luck at wooing girls. They are on the cusp of adulthood and they view the prospect of joining the army as a heroic notion; the news that they are to be called up to war is greeted with immense jubilation by all but their world-weary teacher. This camaraderie and friendship is to be the cause of their undoing. When the boys face combat the suggestion of retreating is floated but quickly abandoned as none of them wish to be viewed as a coward in front of their closest friends. This stubbornness places the group in a vicious bind where they inadvertently find themselves facing off against a squadron of US tanks and soldiers, hellbent on crossing the bridge.

Low angle wide shots give us a unique perspective from the field of vision of the boys entrenched positions as they scan the area in front of the bridge for danger. These striking sequences enable us to take stock of their precarious position whilst also emphasising the sense of scale as these small soldiers glance up towards the towering tanks as they make their advances. We hope that their courage and resolution will enable them to make it through this ordeal alive but we fear that the overwhelming odds are stacked unfairly against them.

The build up to the battle sequences is just as thrilling as the stand-off on the bridge, with Wicki spending time with each of the teenagers as we learn about their personal battles during the war. They fight over girls and argue with parents, causing mischief and falling foul of the law. These are ordinary school boys from all walks of life forced into an uncompromising situation by a cruel twist of fate that sees them drafted into the army mere days before the end of the war. Although The Bridge runs through all the genre tropes - the defense of a key vantage point, youthful soldiers in a situation over their head, and a climatic last stand, it does so with such flare and bravado that makes it stand out from films which have trodden a similar path before.

The Bridge is a powerful and stirring account of a real life incident that echoes the sentiments of many war films by acting as a damning indictment of the tragic situations faced by those on both sides of the battlefield. We overlook the fact that these boys have been brainwashed by the Nazis who rule their country; they are merely pawns in a dangerous movement whose influence has led them astray. This could just as easily have been a group of young soldiers fighting for the British army, as the story's universal themes are upsetting and troubling regardless of the predisposition of the boys who foolishly devote themselves to their country.

It is noteable that The Bridge is largely devoid of a musical score, apart from a few instances such as the disturbing and jarring cacophony towards the beginning that marks the forthcoming danger and horror, and the upbeat sounds of 40s pop music that emerge from one boy's gramophone, much to the chagrin of his father. This choice to use music sparingly means that when it is used its impact is heightened, and it allows the eerie silences of the battlefield to speak volumes between the explosive blasts of gunfire that shatter the disconcerting quietness.

As the first notable German war film following World War Two, The Bridge has earned its place in history. However, it is not just a case of the film being groundbreaking given the circumstances surrounding its creation; this is a genuinely affecting portrayal of the horrors of war as seen through the eyes of seven innocent teenagers who are caught up in a tragic set of events. Its power lies not just in the emotionally draining and harrowing storyline but in the exceptional performances from the young actors who brings this tale to life with the utmost conviction and dedication to their craft. Bernhard Wicki may well be more well known for another of his war films (The Longest Day) but this small scale yet incredibly tense picture is undoubtedly his crowning achievement; a masterclass in suspense and tension and one of the greatest German war films ever made.
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

FIGHT BACK!

Top 100 | Top 250

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Top 100 | Top 250

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

I made a STAR poll to decide your favorite WC winner. Vote, people!
https://star.vote/wc4321/

runnerups
https://star.vote/wcr4321/
Last edited by Armoreska on December 1st, 2020, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Image Die Brücke: 19
Image Czlowiek na torze: 9

Don't worry folks, the red wave is incoming any moment!
Top 100 | Top 250

Ritesh

Post by Ritesh »

1. Czlowiek na torze
2. Die Brücke
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

1. Die Brücke - 4/5
2. Czlowiek na torze - 3.5/5
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
connordenney
Donator

Post by connordenney »

1. Die Brücke 6/10
2. Człowiek na torze 6/10
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Image Die Brücke: 21
Image Czlowiek na torze: 10

Four hours left. With 21 votes, this would be the least participated match of the season. I hope to get at least four more votes before the deadline.
ICM-profile
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Would 31 votes have the least participation?
Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway »

I think we need to demand a recount!
wasabi

Post by wasabi »

Glad I made it! Good choices for the final.

1. Die Brucke
2. Czlowiek na Torze
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

1. Die Brücke AKA The Bridge (1959) - Bernhard Wicki [re-watch]
2. Czlowiek na torze AKA Man on the Tracks (1957) - Andrzej Munk

Man on the Tracks feels a bit like Rashomon, except the ending was predictable right from the start of the movie. I was just waiting for the entire movie for the people to figure out what was obvious to me in the first scene. I thought it would have been a much better film if they had showed what happened on the ground at the start, and ended with them coming up with the wrong conclusion. I think one could make that edit by swapping about 10 minutes of film around between the first and last reels, and cutting out the very final bit in the conference room.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Man on the Tracks was good. It meandered a little, and it felt inconsequential as a whole, like it didn't know what it wanted to be: a character study, a Rashomon-style mystery, an indictment of politics of Communist Poland.... I quite liked the individual segments on their own, and I'm fine with the ending, but put all together it just didn't add up for me.

The Bridge was a tour de force. Based on the summary alone, I guessed how it would end. Knowing it didn't make the last 30 minutes any easier to watch. An excellent, excellent anti-war film that I have little to speak poorly of (though they could have found some better actors for the American roles). I found it harrowing and stomach-turning.
Spoiler
Do you think it was intentional that the lone survivor, Albert, was the one boy of the 7 who had the least character exposition in the film? I couldn't remember a single notable thing about him, unlike the others who seemed to at least have their own mini-arc, except maybe Hans.
A clear winner for me.

1. Die Brücke - 8.0/8.5ish
2. Człowiek na torze - 7.0/7.5ish

And with that, I finally have a perfect attendance record in a WC season.
Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović »

The match is over. Germany wins the tournament.

Image Die Brücke: 24
Image Czlowiek na torze: 10

Congratulations to klaus78. Also thanks to sebby for his pick and the 34 people who voted this match.

I'm expecting the participation graph and the updated medal table from Joachim.
beavis

Post by beavis »

Very nice selections, and a deserved winner
thanks everybody for another fun cup!!
sebby

Post by sebby »

Something tells me I picked the wrong Munk film for the final :think:
wasabi

Post by wasabi »

sebby wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 12:38 pm Something tells me I picked the wrong Munk film for the final :think:
My first Munk! I liked it, but as weirdboy said, it's quite predictable...
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

blocho wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 6:15 am Would 31 votes have the least participation?
Remind me not to post on the forum when just out of bed. :facepalm:
ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Mario Gaborović wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 10:23 am I'm expecting the participation graph and the updated medal table from Joachim.
Graph of the final:

Participation graph of the 4th season:

What is "updated medal table"? I never kept track of such a thing. I thought you did.

Joining in the nick of time, first time participants in the final:
sol
connordenney
20 people who voted in every match (23)
72aicm
Angel Glez
Armoreska
beavis
clemmetarey
Cocoa
edward5
Fergenaprido
filmbantha
hurluberlu
joachimt
jvv
klaus78
Mario Gaborović
Nathan Treadway
Smoover
weirdboy
zhangalan
zuma
zzzorf
the rest of the participants
Muellwind (22)
burneyfan (18)
kingink (18)
pitchorneirda (17)
sacmersault (17)
Gorro (15)
Traveller (12)
cayado-coro (7)
blocho (4)
kongs_speech (4)
Mate_cosido (4)
Melvelet (4)
tommy_leazaq (4)
wasabi (4)
bjornam (3)
Mochard (3)
sebby (3)
Cinepolis (2)
Dolwphin (2)
Lilarcor (2)
maxwelldeux (2)
PeacefulAnarchy (2)
Pgonzalez (2)
Ritesh (2)
sortile9io (2)
Asberg (1)
connordenney (1)
mathiasa (1)
Opio (1)
RogerTheMovieManiac88 (1)
russa03 (1)
sol (1)
tarr (1)
ICM-profile
Mario Gaborović

Eight members participated for the first time in WC:

zzzorf (23), Traveller (12), kongs_speech (4), Ritesh (2), Asberg (1), Opio (1), russa03 (1) and sol (1).

This makes a total of 117 people who participated in at least one match of the four seasons.
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on December 2nd, 2020, 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez »

Great job, joachim and everyone involved. :cheers:

Congratulations to klaus. Could you remind me Germany's whole team (the other 4 used films)?
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

The cinematography in Man on the Tracks was perfection. The multi-dimensional and immersive portrait of Orzechowski was brilliant. The ambivalent critique of Communist Poland highly interesting. Condolences to Poland for this undeserved blood-bath!
Top 100 | Top 250

Mario Gaborović

Angel Glez wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 7:44 pm Great job, joachim and everyone involved. :cheers:

Congratulations to klaus. Could you remind me Germany's whole team (the other 4 used films)?
R1: Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern (1969)
R2: Spur der Steine (1966)
R3: Nachts, wenn der Teufel kam (1957)
R4: Unter den Brücken (1946)
R5: Die Brücke (1959)

On its way of becoming the champions Germany defeated: Ukraine, USA, Pakistan, Iran, Italy, Estonia and Poland.
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on December 2nd, 2020, 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Mario Gaborović wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 7:20 pm Six members participated for the first time in WC:

kongs_speech (4), Ritesh (2), Asberg (1), Opio (1), russa03 (1) and sol (1).

This makes a total of 117 people who participated in at least one match of the four seasons.
This was my first WC as well.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Congratulation Klaus and Germany, a well deserved win. This has been a fun adventure the last year which helped me broaden my growing love of cinema. Looking forward to the next season which I hope starts sooner rather than later.
Mario Gaborović

zzzorf wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 8:10 pm
Mario Gaborović wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 7:20 pm Six members participated for the first time in WC:

kongs_speech (4), Ritesh (2), Asberg (1), Opio (1), russa03 (1) and sol (1).

This was my first WC as well.
Ok I've changed the previous post. Seems that I forgot to include Traveller as well.
Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez »

Mario Gaborović wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 8:02 pm
Angel Glez wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 7:44 pm Great job, joachim and everyone involved. :cheers:

R1: Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern (1969)
R2: Spur der Steine (1966)
R3: Nachts, wenn der Teufel kam (1957)
R4: Unter den Brücken (1946)
R5: Die Brücke (1959)

On its way of becoming the champions Germany defeated: Ukraine, USA, Pakistan, Iran, Italy, Estonia and Poland.
Wow! No doubt that klaus played to win.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Mario Gaborović wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 8:02 pm R1: Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern (1969)
I liked that one. Still have it kicking around on my hard drive. The Bridge appealed to me more, though.
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

MJF and Tommy lost their perfect participation record. MJF even fell off the wagon completely.
That leaves 8 people with 114/114 rounds.

nobody has lost S2+S3+S4 perfect (same 4 users as last time)

S3+S4 perfect
72aicm
edward5
filmbantha
hurluberlu
Nathan Treadway
zuma

Perfect participation in single season has stagnated:
S1 - 14
S2 - 19
S3 - 24
S4 - 20
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Armoreska wrote: December 1st, 2020, 11:07 pm I made a STAR poll to decide your favorite WC winner. Vote, people!
https://star.vote/wc4321/
runnerups
https://star.vote/wcr4321/
Vote vote vote
If you dont vote - that's pathetic
It's a close race one of em
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

WTF kind of messed up voting system is that?

Why not just have a poll with only one choice possible, on or off, instead of being able to individually rate each option independently?
sebby

Post by sebby »

Dolwphin wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 8:02 pm The cinematography in Man on the Tracks was perfection. The multi-dimensional and immersive portrait of Orzechowski was brilliant. The ambivalent critique of Communist Poland highly interesting. Condolences to Poland for this undeserved blood-bath!
Well I'm glad someone saw the same things I did in the film.

We will get our long-delayed revenge against the Germans one day. Watch ya back, krauts.
Nathan Treadway
Donator

sebby wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 2:10 am
Dolwphin wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 8:02 pm The cinematography in Man on the Tracks was perfection. The multi-dimensional and immersive portrait of Orzechowski was brilliant. The ambivalent critique of Communist Poland highly interesting. Condolences to Poland for this undeserved blood-bath!
Well I'm glad someone saw the same things I did in the film.

We will get our long-delayed revenge against the Germans one day. Watch ya back, krauts.
I liked it, even though I didn't vote for it. As a matter of fact, I think I really liked all your selections; Korczak was easily my favorite new watch of this World Cup.
Nathan Treadway
Donator

Armoreska wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 11:41 pm MJF and Tommy lost their perfect participation record. MJF even fell off the wagon completely.
That leaves 8 people with 114/114 rounds.
I haven't looked, but, I'm guessing:

Armoreska
Joachim
jvv
Angel
Mario
Cocoa

I can't think of who the other two are...