Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

iCM Forum's Favourite Silent Movies, 2nd edition : Nomination - Closed - Processing Results

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

Possibly too late but..

First 34 ranked
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls059031008/
Last edited by Melvelet on November 30th, 2020, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current recommendation: Monday (2000)

ImageImage

Current focus: British New Wave

Last.fm | RYM
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Ok we have 3 clear Groups here

The green as said above are clear IMDB Errors : i'll acept them as they are.

Yellow Are for the most part "Real" Silent, but don't make the final Top 300.
I could let them as they are to spare the digging / finding them on the Lists.

The red ones would enter the final Top300

"The artist" is for me a No Go : a great film but not on the pool mood or rules.

"Meshes of the Afternoon" is another story : i'm pretty sure to have seen it with sounds mixed back i nthe day... and found several YT links with sound.
IMDB State "Mono | Silent" ....

If it was me, I would remove it but it's on 3 lists & on 2 with high Vote... Let's hear argumetns from the ones that voted for it : maybe they saw it totaly silent ?

Caracortada (#8)
Gordon_Gekko (#15)
Perception de Ambiguity (#340)
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Ok for Melvelet & nimimerkekien List ... they don't seems to contains offending films.
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

Melvelet wrote: November 30th, 2020, 1:23 pm Possibly too late but..

First 34 ranked
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls059031008/
just updated mine
Should not include rule-offending film
Current recommendation: Monday (2000)

ImageImage

Current focus: British New Wave

Last.fm | RYM
Gordon_Gekko

Post by Gordon_Gekko »

I'm sure i watched it as silent.
But won't hold up the process, so if the rule says silent-ERA for me it's ok to go on without Meshes. (u)
yllow

Post by yllow »

Same people voting for all the Deren?
Mysterious Dude

Post by Mysterious Dude »

Meshes of the Afternoon was originally released with no music or sound effects. A version with music was released in the 50's. If there are versions with sound effects, I think they were made by enterprising youtubers.

I love Meshes, but I didn't vote for it because it is definitely not a film from the silent period.
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Ok : Let's see if we can Have Caracortada opinion before taking the final decision

So far i would say to remove it & showing it on the result thread after revealing the top XXX (300 i guess).
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Lammetje wrote: November 30th, 2020, 10:42 am There's a redundant space in the topic title (after 'edition'). Can someone remove it, please? :geek: :blush:
Au contraire: You get a results thread with it, too!
:P

It's tough for pedantic smartypants like us on the internet.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Torgo wrote: November 30th, 2020, 5:33 pm
Lammetje wrote: November 30th, 2020, 10:42 am There's a redundant space in the topic title (after 'edition'). Can someone remove it, please? :geek: :blush:

Putting spaces before and after some punctuation is standard in French, isn't it?
Tim2460 wrote: November 30th, 2020, 1:25 pm I could let them as they are to spare the digging / finding them on the Lists.
You don't need to dig through the lists to find them. If you're using the poll scripts then you just need to include all of the imdb URLs of the films you want to exclude in the "ineligible" text file, and the program will automatically exclude those films from the results and recalculate the lists as if those films had never been included in the first place. Saves you a LOT of manual work.

Also, your red and yellow groups should be one. It doesn't make sense to exclude only those that would make the Top 300 otherwise, as all of those films will affect the results of other films in the list.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Fergenaprido wrote: November 30th, 2020, 6:06 pm

Putting spaces before and after some punctuation is standard in French, isn't it?
Never knew, but you might be right. I noticed the same thing yesterday browsing through the Lumière catalogue (or "Lumièrecatalogue" or "Lumière-catalogue", pick whatever you prefer). Example:
https://catalogue-lumiere.com/kastellholmen-panorama/
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey »

joachimt wrote: November 30th, 2020, 7:11 pm

Never knew, but you might be right. I noticed the same thing yesterday browsing through the Lumière catalogue (or "Lumièrecatalogue" or "Lumière-catalogue", pick whatever you prefer). Example:
https://catalogue-lumiere.com/kastellholmen-panorama/
We put spaces before and after with a "double punctuation" like ";" ":" for example. Also with "?" and "!" at the end of sentences, so we write Hello ! or comment ça va ?
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

Yeah, any punctuation made of two signs has to have a space before and after. I was dumbfounded when I discovered it was only a French thing.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

You were right, the results thread has it too. :(
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

That's the french Touch Lammetje ;)

Is that SOOOOOOOO important ?? (D:)
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Tim2460 wrote: November 30th, 2020, 1:25 pm I could let them as they are to spare the digging / finding them on the Lists.
You don't need to dig through the lists to find them. If you're using the poll scripts then you just need to include all of the imdb URLs of the films you want to exclude in the "ineligible" text file, and the program will automatically exclude those films from the results and recalculate the lists as if those films had never been included in the first place. Saves you a LOT of manual work.

Also, your red and yellow groups should be one. It doesn't make sense to exclude only those that would make the Top 300 otherwise, as all of those films will affect the results of other films in the list.
Thanks. Didn’t know that either. So a .txt file titled ineligible does this trick?
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Those French just love to waste spaces :lol: :guns:
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 6:55 pm

Thanks. Didn’t know that either. So a .txt file titled ineligible does this trick?
It did the trick : thx for the info Fergenaprido.

Still building the master excel file... don't know yet if i'll try to update the results thread with the new infos we have worked to gather like country, resumé & box office...
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Tim2460 wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 8:19 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 6:55 pm

It did the trick : thx for the info Fergenaprido.

Still building the master excel file... don't know yet if i'll try to update the results thread with the new infos we have worked to gather like country, resumé & box office...
Glad it worked Tim. It's a definite time saver.

@Lonewolf yes, it should be in a text file in the same folder as the individual list CSVs. There's an explanation somewhere in the script thread explaining the functionality.

When I host a poll, I put all of the individual list CSVs in a folder called "All Lists" inside the folder for that poll (I have a separate folder for each poll I've hosted). Inside that folder I also have the filmcounter script (currently using v8.2), ineligible.txt (with the URLs of all the films I want to exclude), and the scoring.txt (with the points and half-life). I used to also include the duplicatechecker script, but I think that's been made redundant by the most recent fc version (but I'm not 100% sure). I rename every list after I download it (and I also input the info into a separate text file just to cross-reference and keep track the participants, how long their lists are, whether they are ranked or unranked, and how many duplicates/ineligibles there are.

Then I run the script, and move the filmcounts.csv to one folder up, resave it as an .xlsx file so I can play around with the information without touching the original results, and start working on the formulas for the posting so that I can just copy and paste when it comes time to start the results thread. I also double-check that I didn't miss any ineligible films, manually add some director info if it's missing from the list export, and add in extra stuff like country, film type, etc. for some fun stats at the end.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Tim2460 wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 10:39 am That's the french Touch Lammetje ;)

Is that SOOOOOOOO important ?? (D:)
I bet that space before the question marks is just to tease me. :'(
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

Hmmm no :facepalm:

Just 45 + Years of habbit at work ... :whistling: