Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Der Wald vor lauter Bäumen, April nominations (Apr 1st)

POLL; Setting up the 2021 Poll schedule (Correct edition)

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes

Which Polls would you like to see held in 2021?

Poll ended at November 8th, 2020, 10:11 pm

1890s
0%
1900s
0%
1910s
1%
pre-1920s
3%
Pre-Code
2%
21st Century
3%
Action (previous edition held in 2016)
2%
African American Cinema
2%
Balkan (previous edition held in 2016)
1%
Black-and-white film recommondation for people that don't like b/w films
0%
Contemporary Black & White Films (b/w movies made after +/-1968 (exact date tbd))
3%
Book adaptations
2%
Brazil
1%
Canadian (previous edition held in 2017)
1%
Central Asia & Caucasus (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia)
2%
Central European (previous edition held in 2016)
1%
Chinese (previous edition held in 2017)
2%
Christmas (previous edition held in 2012)
1%
Comedies (previous edition held in 2016)
2%
Coming of Age
3%
Crime
1%
Dance
1%
Depressing Movies (previous edition held in 2015)
1%
Directorial feature debuts
3%
Episodic films
1%
Essay Films
1%
Experimental/Avant-Garde (previous edition held in 2016)
3%
Filmed staged Operas, Ballets, Modern Dance or other "High Art" performances
1%
Films by Black directors / non-White directors / Minority directors
1%
Franchise/Film-series
1%
Heroic fantasy, medieval and fairytales
2%
Horror (previous edition held in 2018, '17, '16, '15, '14, '13 and '12)
2%
Indigenous narratives
1%
Interaction between scene and used music in a film
0%
Iran
2%
Japan (previous edition held in 2017 and 2013)
4%
Latin American and Caribbean (previous edition held in 2016)
2%
LGBT (previous edition held in 2017)
2%
Maximalist cinema
2%
Mexico
1%
Most mediocre, English-spoken unofficial movies
1%
Movies with a Child Protagonist
1%
Movies With the Best Visuals (previous edition held in 2013)
2%
Music videos
2%
Musical scores / soundtracks
1%
Mystery
1%
Thriller/Suspense (previous edition held in 2016)
1%
Whodunnit
2%
Nautical Movies
1%
Noirs (previous edition held in 2015)
3%
Nordic (previous edition held in 2016)
1%
Prison
2%
Punk (& Industrial)
1%
Religious movies
1%
Road Trip (previous edition held in 2017)
0%
Russia (previous edition held in 2016)
2%
Sci-fi (previous edition held in 2017 and 2013)
2%
Sports
3%
Superhero
2%
TV movies
2%
Twists
1%
UK (previous edition held in 2017)
1%
Under 50 checks
4%
Western (previous edition held in 2016)
3%

Total votes: 651

Lonewolf2003
Donator

POLL; Setting up the 2021 Poll schedule (Correct edition)

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Through this poll we will try to fill the remaining 8 free spots to fill in the 2021 poll schedule. Four are taken up already by annual and decade polls (70s and 80s). So please vote on which one you would to see done next year.

This poll is meant to chose the options who will go into battle in the final poll. The exact amount that will go the next round will determined on basis of the results, but probably between 16 to 20. Unless when we end up with 8 clear winners already in this poll, than there will be no need for a final poll.

If you already voted in the two closed polls, please revote here

This poll will be open for two weeks.

To make a (more) informed decision here is an overview with our previous Polls: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3919

For those who want an overlap with the challenges:
2021 Challenge Schedule
2021 Challenge Schedule
MonthCountry ChallengeTheme ChallengeTheme Challenge
January Latin America - excl. Ar, Br, Uy & Mx Sci-Fi/Fantasy 1000<400
February Benelux Experimental/Avant-Garde Run the Director
March UK/Ireland Directed by Women Waves from Around World
April Middle East - excl. Iran Doubling the Canon Nominees Animation
May Japan Western Mystery & Thriller
June Italy One Film From Each Year LGBTIQ+
July Iran & Central Asia Travel the World Run the Actor
August Korean Peninsula <400 Checks Action & Adventure
September Eastern Europe - excl. Russia & Balkans Silent Era Low IMDb Rating
October France Horror One Film From Each iCM List
November Argentina/Brazil/Uruguay Film Noir War movies
December Oceania Documentary Unofficial

If you're unsure what an option exactly means, feel free to ask here.
Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 »

Do we need an under 50 checks poll?

What's next? Under 10?
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Ivan0716 wrote: October 26th, 2020, 11:59 am Do we need an under 50 checks poll?

What's next? Under 10?
Would quite like a 0 checks poll. Favourite films no-one has seen yet.

I actually voted for <50 poll. Think it would be very interesting.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Ivan0716 wrote: October 26th, 2020, 11:59 am Do we need an under 50 checks poll?

What's next? Under 10?
If you don't think it's needed and don't want it, don't vote for it. If most people agree with you, it won't get enough votes to get in. If many do vote for it, they apparently think we do need it.
beavis

Post by beavis »

If I would comment on or highlight only one thing at this stage, then it is that I hope the Central Asia & Caucasus entry is going to get some more love. I know a lot of people might feel like they haven't got much to say on this region, but it is a very rich one and we shOUld be able to say something on it as a forum. Talking about most neglected area of movie making.... don't let this one slide people!
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

AdamH wrote: October 26th, 2020, 12:06 pm Would quite like a 0 checks poll. Favourite films no-one has seen yet.
Huh? People are favoriting movies they haven't actually seen?!?!?
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Or they're liking/disliking films but not using the checks?
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

So far <50 gets the most checks. :)
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

One extra note I want to give to take into consideration when voting; up next month is a new edition of the Silent poll..
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Definitely a lot of interesting options here. Even 16 votes didn't feel like quite enough, but regardless of what's ultimately chosen I think we'll have a strong selection for polls next year.
Gorro
Donator

Post by Gorro »

Do we really want <50 to take up a poll slot next year?

Such a list can be derived from the <400 poll with relative ease. Just use the script that is used to filter out >400 movies from the current ballots to filter out >50 movies instead and compile a list from that. Or would people really submit a different (ordered) list for a <50 poll?
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Gorro wrote: October 28th, 2020, 8:02 am Do we really want <50 to take up a poll slot next year?

Such a list can be derived from the <400 poll with relative ease. Just use the script that is used to filter out >400 movies from the current ballots to filter out >50 movies instead and compile a list from that. Or would people really submit a different (ordered) list for a <50 poll?
Perhaps not, but I think it is the novelty of the event - I.e. making and seeing lists, and giving films under 50 check a closer look/focus.
albajos

Post by albajos »

also it will lead people to see more movies below 50 before the poll, instead of focusing on 51-399
Gorro
Donator

Post by Gorro »

I would still combine it with the <400 poll. If it would be announced in advance we will also publish a <50 list from the ballots, anyone can choose to put additional focus on the <50 movies in their lists / movie watching routine.

I'm interested in the results of such an undertaking, but to me it feels like a waste to give up a poll slot for that next year.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

It might make a difference for people who use cut-offs for their own list. It might also push people to add lesser rated films (which would be a downside).
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

What I like the most about an Under 50 checks poll is that it will be nigh on impossible to predict the winner. For most our other polls, the countdown is kind of anticlimactic because other than the few occasional low-ranked surprises here and there, mostly just the expected stuff gets in and there's rarely a surprise among the top 10 of any poll (even if the actual order is often hard to predict).
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

sol wrote: October 28th, 2020, 12:07 pm What I like the most about an Under 50 checks poll is that it will be nigh on impossible to predict the winner. For most our other polls, the countdown is kind of anticlimactic because other than the few occasional low-ranked surprises here and there, mostly just the expected stuff gets in and there's rarely a surprise among the top 10 of any poll (even if the actual order is often hard to predict).
Wouldn't it be pretty easy actually? Just look at the films on 500<400 that are eligible?
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Teproc wrote: October 28th, 2020, 12:09 pm
sol wrote: October 28th, 2020, 12:07 pm What I like the most about an Under 50 checks poll is that it will be nigh on impossible to predict the winner. For most our other polls, the countdown is kind of anticlimactic because other than the few occasional low-ranked surprises here and there, mostly just the expected stuff gets in and there's rarely a surprise among the top 10 of any poll (even if the actual order is often hard to predict).
Wouldn't it be pretty easy actually? Just look at the films on 500<400 that are eligible?
That could be an interesting comparison to draw afterwards but I doubt the results would be the same. Not everybody places every single film with below 400 checks that they like on their ballot. And in any case, looking at the eligible films and getting them in the right order isn't something easily done with one click. It's a bit different to running a 1960s poll when it is well-known that 2001: A Space Odyssey, Psycho and Le Trou are widely loved across the board and nobody needs to look up anything to know that.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Currently there are only 7 (on the 500>400 list)
The more I think about it though, the more I feel people will just stuff their list with lesser ranked films rather than real favorites. That would take the fun out of it.
beavis

Post by beavis »

I don't need stuffing to get a substantial <50 list going...
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Me neither, 362 eligible films it seems :blink:
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Going with favourites only I have 92 (out of 1197, so about 7.5%), but plenty of other great films under that mark as well.

I definitely think the results will be quite different from the 7 existing entries on the list (as now people will only vote for films with 50 checks or less, evening out potential top spot advantages).
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

I thought there would be a lot more than 7 on the 500<400 list, I don't think the similarity between the two should be a problem then.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Looks like there are 119 films on my current 500<400 with under 50 checks - and I've seen 14 films just this past month that would qualify and deserve a place. And I've deliberately tried to keep my list to no more than the results number (ok off by 2 but I tried), so I know there are many more films that I love that I could add. I'm guessing for myself it wouldn't be hard to come up with 200-250, perhaps more, by the time we'd do such a poll.

sol's point that it would be unpredictable is a good one and definitely a plus when considering it - at the same time though, these really obscure films say much more about us as individuals than they are going to as a group. How many other people are actually going to watch (and love) a lot of Onderhond's obscure recent Chinese and Japanese genre films, especially if they're hard to access for some? How many people are going to watch (and love) the obscure noirs and Filipino, Mexican and Iranian films that will populate my list? The Hungarian films and 2nd-tier French New Wave that Gloede will promote? I just get the feeling that the end result is going to be interesting, maybe, but a list of films that most of us, even dedicated viewers of less obvious films, will see and say, uh, ok, haven't heard of it, um, doesn't look like a priority. At least from my perspective - I already look for plenty of total obscurities in the areas that really interest me, not sure what would get me to prioritize some Kazakh film with 7 checks or a pre-code musical that I've never heard of or a Chinese action film that nobody but outside of China except Onderhond cares about. I also think it will end up a list with a pretty high percentage of shorts, documentaries and experimental stuff, which is a point in it's favor IMO.

So...I guess I'd predict the final list to be an interesting novelty, but I'm not sure much more than that. Waffling on voting for it.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

OldAle1 wrote: October 28th, 2020, 1:52 pm Looks like there are 119 films on my current 500<400 with under 50 checks - and I've seen 14 films just this past month that would qualify and deserve a place. And I've deliberately tried to keep my list to no more than the results number (ok off by 2 but I tried), so I know there are many more films that I love that I could add. I'm guessing for myself it wouldn't be hard to come up with 200-250, perhaps more, by the time we'd do such a poll.

sol's point that it would be unpredictable is a good one and definitely a plus when considering it - at the same time though, these really obscure films say much more about us as individuals than they are going to as a group. How many other people are actually going to watch (and love) a lot of Onderhond's obscure recent Chinese and Japanese genre films, especially if they're hard to access for some? How many people are going to watch (and love) the obscure noirs and Filipino, Mexican and Iranian films that will populate my list? The Hungarian films and 2nd-tier French New Wave that Gloede will promote? I just get the feeling that the end result is going to be interesting, maybe, but a list of films that most of us, even dedicated viewers of less obvious films, will see and say, uh, ok, haven't heard of it, um, doesn't look like a priority. At least from my perspective - I already look for plenty of total obscurities in the areas that really interest me, not sure what would get me to prioritize some Kazakh film with 7 checks or a pre-code musical that I've never heard of or a Chinese action film that nobody but outside of China except Onderhond cares about. I also think it will end up a list with a pretty high percentage of shorts, documentaries and experimental stuff, which is a point in it's favor IMO.

So...I guess I'd predict the final list to be an interesting novelty, but I'm not sure much more than that. Waffling on voting for it.
Well said. To me it sounds mostly like another exercise to find other users that loves a hidden gem as much as the voter. Which might indeed mostly likely will turn out to be futile. I’m just waiting for the underrated movies with <100 checks on no official lists poll. :)
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

beavis wrote: October 28th, 2020, 12:27 pm I don't need stuffing to get a substantial <50 list going...
This. It’s going to be the biggest «mafia» list ever though. If one thinks the <400 list is bad...
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

72aicm wrote: October 28th, 2020, 2:49 pm
beavis wrote: October 28th, 2020, 12:27 pm I don't need stuffing to get a substantial <50 list going...
This. It’s going to be the biggest «mafia» list ever though. If one thinks the <400 list is bad...
I foresee a good chunk of the list being composed of films that PdA and Carmel both put in their top 20-30....

The more I think about this idea, the less useful I find it.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

A list full of anime series and music videos :D
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

My assumption is that the list will be something akin to "Ain't Nobodies Blues But Our Own", where the lower spots, in particular, will be films highly placed on 2-3 lists. Which is still intriguing, as it shows obscure films that have been loved by not just one person, but one other. Blues with backup certification.

As for exploring the various lists, I most likely will. I think plenty of people are excited about Iranian, Philippino, New Maximalist Japanese films, etc.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

St. Gloede wrote: October 28th, 2020, 3:18 pm My assumption is that the list will be something akin to "Ain't Nobodies Blues But Our Own", where the lower spots, in particular, will be films highly placed on 2-3 lists. Which is still intriguing, as it shows obscure films that have been loved by not just one person, but one other. Blues with backup certification.

As for exploring the various lists, I most likely will. I think plenty of people are excited about Iranian, Philippino, New Maximalist Japanese films, etc.
Yes but I think the TOP slots won't be on many more than 2-3 lists - 50 checks is a pretty tiny number, how many films are there really that a) have been seen by more than 3 people and b) are loved by more than 3 people, with under 50 checks? I'm guessing the number is darn small. And keep in mind that very few features on official lists that are actually accessible would have under 50 checks, and even those of us who roam outside of official check-dom are unlikely to be roaming in the same areas.

And I think you overrate peoples' explorative interests - or rather, you don't take into account here that we can't all explore everything (unless we're watching 44 features in one day or something like that :o ) - only a very few people will take very deep dives into any one area, and even then the chance that their tastes will coincide with 3,4,5 or more others who watched the same things... pretty slim I'd say. I mean, how many people watched more than a couple of the Hungarian films you watched when you had that personal challenge going on? And how many of them loved the same films you did? How many of those films have ended up on DTC or 500<400?

Not trying to throw cold water on you or anybody else who thinks this is a good idea, just trying to be a realist. I could well be wrong and it could end up a fairly vital and valuable poll, but the more I think about it the less likely it seems, to me. I don't think the unofficial-check poll or the underrated poll were all that exciting, frankly - I enjoy looking at them, taking part in them, watching the countdown but at the end of the day they really highlight "usual suspects" in one way or another, just as pretty much all the polls here do.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

In answer to the question, do we really want a <50 poll, i guess the answer is that people voted for one do and people didn't vote for it don't. :)
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

I'm assuming there might be a second poll? Because while I voted for <50, it's really low on my prio-list.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Onderhond wrote: October 28th, 2020, 4:24 pm I'm assuming there might be a second poll? Because while I voted for <50, it's really low on my prio-list.
Well, it's ahead right now with a fair number of votes cast, so whether there's a second poll or not it looks likely to make it. I think people like these numbers-focused / obscurity polls in general; I guess I think we've got enough of them really and I don't think another one is likely to tell us much that's new or different.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

OldAle1 wrote: October 28th, 2020, 4:39 pm
Onderhond wrote: October 28th, 2020, 4:24 pm I'm assuming there might be a second poll? Because while I voted for <50, it's really low on my prio-list.
Well, it's ahead right now with a fair number of votes cast, so whether there's a second poll or not it looks likely to make it. I think people like these numbers-focused / obscurity polls in general; I guess I think we've got enough of them really and I don't think another one is likely to tell us much that's new or different.
Totally agree again. I'm also with you on thinking the votes will be way to scattered to make a meaningful, interesting list.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Yes there will be a second poll with less contenders. Unless there are 8 clear winners with the number 8 having a sizeable more votes than the number 9 (and lower)
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

The few votes for depressing movies are certainly depressing. :(
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

I found "Directorial feature debuts" to be an interesting concept actually but already see it stir many discussions, like with TV movies, very limitedly released/unavailable debut films, a string of documentaries before a true feature debut and so on; but we'll see.

Cool to see Coming of Age so popular.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Last bid for essays.

Come on, you know you want to.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

If I were to submit a list for a x<50 poll, it'd be 8 titles long.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Lammetje wrote: October 28th, 2020, 9:05 pm If I were to submit a list for a x<50 poll, it'd be 8 titles long.
I'm surprised to see that I'd have almost 200 titles eligible. And what wonderful movies there are! To name some:
Spoiler
The Killer Tongue
Dracula in Pakistan
Holocaust 2000
Carnosaur 3
Turkish Superman
Fat Slags
Beastmaster 3
Rudy, the Racing Pig
Pocket Ninjas
Metal Tornado
Guts of a Virgin 2
Eat the Schoolgirl
Lolita Vibrator Torture
She Devils of the SS
The Tangerine Bear: Home in Time for Christmas!
Megalodon - Hai-Alarm auf Mallorca
Zombie vs. Ninja
Kartoffelsalat
Collision Earth
Air Collision
Captain Berlin versus Hitler
The Golden Nazi Vampire of Absam: Part II
Raptor Island
Robosaurus

Mh, yeah. I don't think I'm going to hand in nominations in order to save the last bit of reputation I might have. :lol: