Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

POLL; Setting up the 2021 Poll schedule I CLOSED! SEE NEW POLL!

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Lonewolf2003
Donator

POLL; Setting up the 2021 Poll schedule I CLOSED! SEE NEW POLL!

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Because of a mistake this poll is now closed! If you already voted in this poll, please revote here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5147
I'm sorry for the inconvenience I caused with my fumbling!

Through this poll we will try to fill the remaining 8 free spots to fill in the 2021 poll schedule. Four are taken up already by annual and decade polls (70s and 80s). So please vote on which one you would to see done next year.

Because the amount of options exceeded the amount of poll options the poll has been split in two. The options in both have been (mostly) chosen randomly. I put a few options that are very similar together for extra clarity.

The results of the the two polls will be combined. If they end up with 8 clear winners, that will be that. If the votes are spread out with no clear winners, there will be a follow-up poll hold. So be sure to vote in both polls. The other poll can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5145

These polls will be open for two weeks.

For those who want an overlap with the challenges:
2021 Challenge Schedule
2021 Challenge Schedule
MonthCountry ChallengeTheme ChallengeTheme Challenge
January Latin America - excl. Ar, Br, Uy & Mx Sci-Fi/Fantasy 1000<400
February Benelux Experimental/Avant-Garde Run the Director
March UK/Ireland Directed by Women Waves from Around World
April Middle East - excl. Iran Doubling the Canon Nominees Animation
May Japan Western Mystery & Thriller
June Italy One Film From Each Year LGBTIQ+
July Iran & Central Asia Travel the World Run the Actor
August Korean Peninsula <400 Checks Action & Adventure
September Eastern Europe - excl. Russia & Balkans Silent Era Low IMDb Rating
October France Horror One Film From Each iCM List
November Argentina/Brazil/Uruguay Film Noir War movies
December Oceania Documentary Unofficial
Also of interest to make a (more) informed decision here is an overview with our previous Polls: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3919

If you're unsure what an option exactly means, feel free to ask here.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on October 25th, 2020, 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Why limit to only 4 options?

I can change the poll option limit to do it all in one poll if you want.

Edit: Apparently 3 people have voted already. I don't know who they are so I'll wait for feedback before combining the polls as I don't think it would keep those votes.
hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu »

I am one of them, I can revote later.
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I was one as well. Don't mind if I have to vote again.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
PeacefulAnarchy

More people have voted now :(
I guess we'll leave it as is. The split thread isn't a big deal but I still don't understand limiting to 4 options.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: October 25th, 2020, 5:55 pm More people have voted now :(
I guess we'll leave it as is. The split thread isn't a big deal but I still don't understand limiting to 4 options.
Cause 4x2=8 and there are 8 free slots.

If those few people don’t mind revoting, please combine the two. Limit the choices to 8 when you do please.
PeacefulAnarchy

But 1. Maybe I want to vote 6 here and 2 there?
2. I thought this was the weeding out poll and the idea was to vote for anything I'd like now, and then vote top 8 in the shortened poll.

That's how I understood this:
Lonewolf2003 wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 3:07 pm
Fergenaprido wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 3:02 pm I prefer having two rounds, personally. With all 62 options in a single poll, the results will likely be too spread out, and the "winners" may not have that much support and thus may not get much participation when the polls are actually run. I don't think you need to have multiple polls in the first round, but I would say if there are 62 options, then the top 16 or 20 or so options (or whatever the cutoff is) then move to the second round and people can pick the final 8. I think this will allow for more honest/less strategic voting in the first round, but also ensure that whatever comes out on top in the second round gets a larger buy-in from the community.

I don't know if I explained that clearly or not. :fingerscrossed:
I understand. You mean do one big poll first and from that instead of getting the 8 winners, chosing 16 to 20 winners which will compete in a final poll.
I think that is indeed a good option to use, if the votes are indeed too spread out.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: October 25th, 2020, 6:10 pm But 1. Maybe I want to vote 6 here and 2 there?
2. I thought this was the weeding out poll and the idea was to vote for anything I'd like now, and then vote top 8 in the shortened poll.

That's how I understood this:
Lonewolf2003 wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 3:07 pm
Fergenaprido wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 3:02 pm I prefer having two rounds, personally. With all 62 options in a single poll, the results will likely be too spread out, and the "winners" may not have that much support and thus may not get much participation when the polls are actually run. I don't think you need to have multiple polls in the first round, but I would say if there are 62 options, then the top 16 or 20 or so options (or whatever the cutoff is) then move to the second round and people can pick the final 8. I think this will allow for more honest/less strategic voting in the first round, but also ensure that whatever comes out on top in the second round gets a larger buy-in from the community.

I don't know if I explained that clearly or not. :fingerscrossed:
I understand. You mean do one big poll first and from that instead of getting the 8 winners, chosing 16 to 20 winners which will compete in a final poll.
I think that is indeed a good option to use, if the votes are indeed too spread out.
1 is a good argument yes. Sorry didn’t think about that.

This is only the weeding out pool if the votes are too spread.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Maybe better to combine the two polls still. And the few who voted can revote. Those prob are people who frequent the forum often enough to notice they will have to devote.

If you think it’s better to give people 10-12 votes,that’s okay with me. But don’t want to give. People too much choice to prevent too much tactical voting. And have people vote for those options they really want.
PeacefulAnarchy

I think if you want it to be the final poll then 8 is fine, if you want it to be preliminary then I'd give at least 12.

I would definitely vote differently (tactically) knowing the poll is final vs preliminary. You say "vote for options people really want", but if the option I really want is one no one else seems to want then I'm going to choose among the ones that have a chance. Restricting options makes for more tactical voting, not less.

I don't know that any of this applies to me, I'm pretty sure the things I want are all relatively popular.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

I want to vote for six options in Poll I and two options in Poll II. What do I do?
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
PeacefulAnarchy

wait. I'm waiting for Lonewolf2003 to make a final decision on if he's going to change anything and what if so.
Lonewolf2003 wrote: October 25th, 2020, 6:14 pm Maybe better to combine the two polls still. And the few who voted can revote. Those prob are people who frequent the forum often enough to notice they will have to devote.

If you think it’s better to give people 10-12 votes,that’s okay with me. But don’t want to give. People too much choice to prevent too much tactical voting. And have people vote for those options they really want.
I don't recall what you can change and what you need me to do, but if you want me to change any options you can't let me know. If you decide to make a new thread you should be able to put all the options in one poll.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: October 25th, 2020, 8:22 pm wait. I'm waiting for Lonewolf2003 to make a final decision on if he's going to change anything and what if so.
Lonewolf2003 wrote: October 25th, 2020, 6:14 pm Maybe better to combine the two polls still. And the few who voted can revote. Those prob are people who frequent the forum often enough to notice they will have to devote.

I don't recall what you can change and what you need me to do, but if you want me to change any options you can't let me know. If you decide to make a new thread you should be able to put all the options in one poll.
Sorry I was away. I will start a new thread with a new poll. Thanks for the help and advice. Could you close these polls? Or can I do that myself?

Sorry all for my fumbling. I will start a new poll asap. If you already voted pleas revote