Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, April nominations (Apr 1st)

Setting up the 2021 Poll schedule - Suggestions and discussion

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

St. Gloede wrote: October 13th, 2020, 1:58 pm Oh, and as was discussed in the future poll a few months back:

Child Protagonists
You mean movies with Child Protagonists or the actual character?
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: October 13th, 2020, 2:00 pm
St. Gloede wrote: October 13th, 2020, 1:58 pm Oh, and as was discussed in the future poll a few months back:

Child Protagonists
Do you mean the distinction between, "played by a child" vs. "the protagonist is a child but the actor is an adult/teenager?"

That can probably be worked out later (along with an age treshhold if we want one), and should hopefully not affect too many films. We can also just leave it to participant discretion.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

St. Gloede wrote: October 13th, 2020, 2:07 pm

Child Protagonists
Do you mean the distinction between, "played by a child" vs. "the protagonist is a child but the actor is an adult/teenager?"

That can probably be worked out later (along with an age treshhold if we want one), and should hopefully not affect too many films. We can also just leave it to participant discretion.
No I meant do you mean our favorite Movies that has a child as protagonist, f.e. Home Alone, or the movie character, the child protagonist self, f.e. Kevin McCallister (from Home Alone).
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Gonna be a short list for me. Can we have a "favorites movies where a child dies"? tehe
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: October 13th, 2020, 2:50 pm
St. Gloede wrote: October 13th, 2020, 2:07 pm

No I meant do you mean our favorite Movies that has a child as protagonist, f.e. Home Alone, or the movie character, the child protagonist self, f.e. Kevin McCallister (from Home Alone).
Oh, films with a child (or several children) as the protagonist(s).
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I think this is one list Iran will dominate.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

St. Gloede wrote: October 13th, 2020, 3:38 pm I think this is one list Iran will dominate.
Maybe. But lots of people haven't seen much from the country outside of the obvious few, not all of which feature kids in major roles. Looking at my list I see 6 of my top 34 that feature children in prominent roles and one of those is a documentary - not sure I'd want to count docs for this kind of poll personally.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Half-joke - but I imagine said 6 (and possibly others) would do quite well indeed.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Alternatively Home Alone 1-(how many?) dominates.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Onderhond wrote: October 13th, 2020, 3:25 pm Gonna be a short list for me. Can we have a "favorites movies where a child dies"? tehe
I think that would be a longer list for me too lol
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

mightysparks wrote: October 13th, 2020, 3:53 pm
Onderhond wrote: October 13th, 2020, 3:25 pm Gonna be a short list for me. Can we have a "favorites movies where a child dies"? tehe
I saw in the 'Our lists and projects' subforum overview that you were the last to reply in this thread. After opening the thread and reading Onderhond's post I just knew, even before scrolling down, that that had to be the post you replied to. :D
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Lammetje wrote: October 13th, 2020, 4:48 pm
I saw in the 'Our lists and projects' subforum overview that you were the last to reply in this thread. After opening the thread and reading Onderhond's post I just knew, even before scrolling down, that that had to be the post you replied to. :D
If there's ever a kiddie-murder crime ring and the suspects are known to be a Belgian man and an Australian woman, I think we'll be able to provide some evidence...
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

OldAle1 wrote: October 13th, 2020, 4:52 pm
Lammetje wrote: October 13th, 2020, 4:48 pm

If there's ever a kiddie-murder crime ring and the suspects are known to be a Belgian man and an Australian woman, I think we'll be able to provide some evidence...
And I'll be praying they won't spill the beans about their Dutch accomplice after they get arrested. :sweat:

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Lammetje wrote: October 13th, 2020, 4:57 pm And I'll be praying they won't spill the beans about their Dutch accomplice after they get arrested. :sweat:
Don't worry, we'll be silent as a lamb :turned:

Now that I think of it though, ideal list would be "kids you wish had died, but didn't". Spoilt for choice!
jeff_v

Post by jeff_v »

I want fewer polls and more rankdowns. What happened to the rankdown game?
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

jeff_v wrote: October 13th, 2020, 5:46 pm I want fewer polls and more rankdowns. What happened to the rankdown game?
Just start one. ;)

(seriously!)
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Onderhond wrote: October 13th, 2020, 5:21 pm Now that I think of it though, ideal list would be "kids you wish had died, but didn't". Spoilt for choice!
:yas:

More memorable quotes
lineuphere

Post by lineuphere »

My votes:

Soundtrack/Score
Central Asia & Caucasus
Dance
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

lineuphere wrote: October 13th, 2020, 5:56 pm My votes:

Soundtrack/Score
Central Asia & Caucasus
Dance
We’re not voting yet, polls to vote will be opened later. Now people are nominating suggestions.
beavis

Post by beavis »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: October 13th, 2020, 1:10 pm While I love the enthusiasm from everyone, I do ask everyone to keep in mind if you really think this forum is able to collectively make a good list about your nominated subject. A subject like best interaction between scene and used soundtrack in a film is great to discuss, but very hard to make a personal list for a poll about. Punk and industrial is also an interesting idea, but unless it's defined very well so everyone understand what that entails, the changes are the definition becomes very diffuse and the list loses its meaning.
Well I've not seen a lot of enthusiastic support in this thread for punk so far, but even if you define it somewhat narrowly there are loads of lists on Letterboxd with hundreds of example movies, such as this one https://letterboxd.com/mangloid/list/de ... -guide-to/
personally I would just aim for a broader teenage rebellion vibe, but that is because I always place movies in history and movements into context, things don't just happen overnight, (even if those pesky teens think they have invented something new and unique ;)) I would go from Summer with Monica all the way upto the now with I Am Greta (maybe, haven't seen it yet). Seems like a fun subject to me! But ok, let's do sports, because we don't have time to actually do that while making lists and watching movies ;)
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

I'm of course willing to support a "punk" poll, especially when niches like cyberpunk and steampunk are included. I agree though that it's a difficult moniker as many people will have many different ideas about what punk is/isn't.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

St. Gloede wrote: October 13th, 2020, 5:53 pm
jeff_v wrote: October 13th, 2020, 5:46 pm I want fewer polls and more rankdowns. What happened to the rankdown game?
Just start one. ;)

(seriously!)
Yes, definitely start one! I got busy at work after finishing the last one and didn't have time to start the third rankdown. If you or anyone else wants to run things please do!
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Onderhond wrote: October 13th, 2020, 7:58 pm I'm of course willing to support a "punk" poll, especially when niches like cyberpunk and steampunk are included. I agree though that it's a difficult moniker as many people will have many different ideas about what punk is/isn't.
If I did a punk list, it would consist solely of these two movies:
Caracortada

Post by Caracortada »

TV movies - the neglected stepchild of genres.

Of the proposed I support:
Book adaptations
Dance
Episodic films
Music videos
Musical scores / soundtracks
Nautical Movies
Prison
Religious movies
Sports
Whodunnit
albajos

Post by albajos »

Episodic films, is that anthologies?
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Caracortada wrote: October 18th, 2020, 3:58 am TV movies - the neglected stepchild of genres.

Of the proposed I support:
Book adaptations
Dance
Episodic films
Music videos
Musical scores / soundtracks
Nautical Movies
Prison
Religious movies
Sports
Whodunnit
There's no need to support or vote yet.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

beavis wrote: October 13th, 2020, 7:39 am What about punk and industrial? Could be just the music (halber mensch for instance) or the late 70s to early 90s subcultures (like no wave cinema) but it could be further stretched to encompass underground art from futurists, situationists, dadaists, black wave, chernuka and so on. And also the many rebel without a cause youth movements of the 50s and 60s. Tetsuo is probably going to win that poll, but i'd be curious to see how rebellious this forum can get! (I'd be impressed if Mlad i Zdrav Kao Ruza (1971) would win the poll, then we would deserve an A for rebellion ;))
Just to be sure, do you mean two genres: Industrial, and, Punk, or one genre, Industrial&Punk?
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

I adjusted the OP. Let me know if something is missing or incorrect.
beavis

Post by beavis »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: October 18th, 2020, 2:18 pm Just to be sure, do you mean two genres: Industrial, and, Punk, or one genre, Industrial&Punk?
One, if it needs to be simple, punk will suffice. But personally and cinematically, the early 80s goth and industrial offshoots are interesting... :)
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

beavis wrote: October 18th, 2020, 3:05 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote: October 18th, 2020, 2:18 pm Just to be sure, do you mean two genres: Industrial, and, Punk, or one genre, Industrial&Punk?
One, if it needs to be simple, punk will suffice. But personally and cinematically, the early 80s goth and industrial offshoots are interesting... :)
Thanks. I put it down as Punk (& Industrial) in the OP.
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

Maybe it was talked about already but will there be no 2010s poll? There's still 2019 films (and even 2018 ones) hitting cinemas here
Current recommendation: Monday (2000)

ImageImage

Current focus: Directors: Rossellini, Sabu

Last.fm | RYM
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Melvelet wrote: October 19th, 2020, 9:29 am Maybe it was talked about already but will there be no 2010s poll? There's still 2019 films (and even 2018 ones) hitting cinemas here
Yes, Lonewolf mentioned previously that he wouldn't be hosting the 2010s poll again and it wouldn't be in the schedule. While yes, there are still some films making the rounds, and many of us are still catching up on recent releases, I think it's fine to pause it next year and let another poll take it's place. We can do the 2010s again after we finish the rest of the cycle of decade polls: '70s and '80s in 2021, '90s and '00s in 2022, and then '10s and '20s (for the first time, preferably) in 2023. Personally, I think this will be the best approach as it gives us a break from the 2010s, and a three-year gap will allow for a bigger shakeup in the rankings instead of incremental changes each year. And waiting until 2023 to do the current decade will allow for at least 3 years worth of films to be released before doing a poll (which I think is especially important this decade given that so many films were pushed back or had very very limited releases this year because of the pandemic).
jeff_v

Post by jeff_v »

At some point it might be good to do a Best of the 21st Century Poll. Maybe even next year, since '21 and '22 seem likely to have '00s, '10s and '20s polls already.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

jeff_v wrote: October 19th, 2020, 6:55 pm At some point it might be good to do a Best of the 21st Century Poll. Maybe even next year, since '21 and '22 seem likely to have '00s, '10s and '20s polls already.
Personally I don't see the need for it, cause I don't see what it adds to the already existing 2010s and 2000s list. But I while put in the OP.
yllow

Post by yllow »

Best twists or twist endings?
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

aka the spoiler poll :lol:
Current recommendation: Monday (2000)

ImageImage

Current focus: Directors: Rossellini, Sabu

Last.fm | RYM
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Yeah, doing that would be extremely tricky.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

With a result countdown done completely in spoiler tags :lol:
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

One other thought for a poll: best black-and-white films (specifically, for people who say they don't like b&w films).

I remember when I was growing up I'd hear so many people say that all b&w films were boring, or that they would never watch a movie in black and white. So I think a poll of the best films for people who don't like b&w films might be an interesting one. This would probably diverge a lot from a list of "best b&w films", or our list of ICM Forums' favorite movies with color films filtered out. Andrei Rublev is a really good movie, but I probably wouldn't put it on a list intended to convince people that b&w movies aren't boring.
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

So B&W comedies noirs, and horror?
I think the core types of people who don't like b&w films are those who think they're boring and plain and those who think they're outdated and overly wholesome.
There's actually a lot you can show to the second group, but the first group is going to be thornier. Even noirs and horror, if they're looking for modern stylistic flourishes and pacing, they might find unsatisfying and comedies depend on what they find funny.

It'd be an interesting list idea, but I don't know that I could make such a list.