Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Der Wald vor lauter Bäumen, April nominations (Apr 1st)

Setting up the 2021 Poll schedule - Suggestions and discussion

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Setting up the 2021 Poll schedule - Suggestions and discussion

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Now the setting of the challenge schedule is on its way and the end of the year is slowly approaching, it's time to think about the 2021 Poll schedule as well. There are four Polls already set; the 2 major annual ones (1001 Favourite Films and 500<400) and two decade polls (1970s and 1980s). Directors is set also, but that one can be paired with another poll cause it's a peoples and not movie centered poll. This leave 8 spots to fill.

The schedule will probably be set up in two stages; by first running two preliminary polls and after that one final poll. This to make the amount of choices in the final poll less massive. The two preliminary polls will probably be divided in one for new and one for recurring lists. It depends on how many new options are nominated here.

For the preliminary poll for recurring lists all that were held in 2017 or before are nominated:
Action Movies (previous edition held in 2016)
Christmas (previous edition held in 2012)
Comedies (previous edition held in 2016)
Depressing (previous edition held in 2015)
Experimental/Avant-Garde Movies (previous edition held in 2016)
Movies With the Best Visuals (previous edition held in 2013)
Noirs (previous edition held in 2015)
Thriller/Suspense Movies (previous edition held in 2016)
Western Movies (previous edition held in 2016)
Balkan Movies (previous edition held in 2016)
Central European Movies (previous edition held in 2016)
Latin American and Caribbean Movies (previous edition held in 2016)
Nordic movies (previous edition held in 2016)
Russian Movies (previous edition held in 2016)
Canadian Movies (previous edition held in 2017)
Chinese Movies (previous edition held in 2017)
Japanese Movies (previous edition held in 2017 and 2013)
UK Movies (previous edition held in 2017)
LGBT Movies (previous edition held in 2017)
Road Trip Movies (previous edition held in 2017)
Sci-fi Movies (previous edition held in 2017 and 2013)

Horror (previous edition held in 2018, '17, '16, '15, '14, '13 and '12)

For the preliminary poll for new ideas the runners-up from last year plus nominations in this thread are nominated:
African American Cinema
Directorial feature debuts
Music videos

Prison
Sports
Crime
Central Asia & Caucasus (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia)
Heroic fantasy, medieval and fairytales
Pre-Code
Musical scores / soundtracks
Iran
Mexico
Nautical Movies
Dance
Book adaptations
Indigenous narratives
Films by Black directors / non-White directors / Minority directors
Religious movies
Maximalist cinema
Most mediocre, English-spoken unofficial movies
Coming of Age
Whodunnit
Superhero
Filmed staged Operas, Ballets, Modern Dance or other "High Art" performances
Franchise/Film-series
Mystery
Punk (& Industrial)
Brazil
Essay Films
Episodic films
Interaction between scene and used music in a film
1910's films
1900's films
1890's films
pre-1920's films
Movies with a Child Protagonist
TV movies
21st Century
Twists
Black-and-white film recommondation for people that don't like b/w films
Contemporary Black & White Films (b/w movies made after +/-1968 (exact date tbd))
Under 50 checks

This thread is mainly now to suggest new ideas for polls. There's no limit for nominations, unless people get excessive. Only with multiple backings wil I accept other nominations for recurring Polls, cause there are so many options already. This thread will be open between one to two weeks, depending on the activity.
To help here are leftover new idea from last year
Central Asia & Caucasus (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia)
Eastern Europe (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Moldova and Ukraine )
Biopics
Coming of age
Crime
Dance
Disturbing
Erotic
Gangster
History/period
Joyous/happy
Music
Pre-1920s
Pre-Code films
Prison
Romcom
Sports
Spy
Superhero
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on October 25th, 2020, 3:29 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

I personally nominate:
Prison
Sports
Crime
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

I'll second the sports nomination just because I'm curious what such a poll would look like.

I'm not a big fan of super narrow polls like Prison or ones with overly ambiguous themes like Happy/disturbing/depressing.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: October 10th, 2020, 4:31 pm I'll second the sports nomination just because I'm curious what such a poll would look like.
To be clear, it's not necessary to second nominations for new poll options, only for ones that been done before (and aren't nominated in the OP already)
I'm not a big fan of super narrow polls like Prison or ones with overly ambiguous themes like Happy/disturbing/depressing.
Me neither of the later. Narrow, specific (sub)genre poll could be interesting I think.
beavis

Post by beavis »

Central Asia & Caucasus
Heroic fantasy, medieval and fairytales (nothing modern / with guns)
Female directors
rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 »

Pre-Code, Pre-Code and Pre-Code.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: October 10th, 2020, 4:31 pm
Totally agree with this.

My main suggestion - and it's really surprising to me that this hasn't been done (unless I've missed something - I did look it up) - is

Favorite musical scores / soundtracks

There might not be enough takers and they might end up with useless results, but I'll also promote individual country polls for two of my favorites

Iran
Mexico
PeacefulAnarchy

We did composers a couple of years ago. We've discussed scores/soundtracks as ideas before but not many takers. I know I could never even think of participating in such a poll, I don't think there are more than 5 scores I can remember.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

How about 'Most mediocre, English-spoken unofficial movies'? I hope Ettie is still in favor of this idea.

viewtopic.php?p=274276#p274276
viewtopic.php?p=281675#p281675
viewtopic.php?p=329411#p329411
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: October 10th, 2020, 6:28 pm We did composers a couple of years ago. We've discussed scores/soundtracks as ideas before but not many takers. I know I could never even think of participating in such a poll, I don't think there are more than 5 scores I can remember.
That surprises me, but then again I feel like people talk a lot more about soundtracks on other forums I've been on. I could do 100+ without even trying actually, and I'm sure there'd be some other takers, but maybe you're right and it's really a small niche interest around here.
PeacefulAnarchy

You can nominate it and find out. I personally have zero interest in such a list because music in movies is not something I appreciate on any level with rare exceptions (and most of those are entirely contextual and not memorable), but I don't think it's a bad idea for a poll.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

I'm actually a big fan of narrow topics. That's why I like the idea of a prison movies poll. And I'll add one idea of my own:

Nautical Movies

Movies primarily concerned with life on the water, for any purpose and in any era. Examples could include HMS Defiant, The Hunt for Red October, The Perfect Storm, Lifeboat, The Bedford Incident, All Is Lost, Master and Commander, Mutiny on the Bounty, Kon Tiki, Dead Calm, The Life Aquatic, and so on.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Lammetje wrote: October 10th, 2020, 6:32 pm How about 'Most mediocre, English-spoken unofficial movies'? I hope Ettie is still in favor of this idea.

Is this a serious nominations or not?
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

beavis wrote: October 10th, 2020, 5:27 pm
Female directors
Nice idea, maybe we could do a female directors instead of the general directors poll next year.
beavis

Post by beavis »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: October 10th, 2020, 8:00 pm
Female directors
Nice idea, maybe we could do a female directors instead of the general directors poll next year.
I actually meant female directed movies, I am not interested in lists of people only in lists of movies.
blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob »

Sports
Shorts
Horror
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

beavis wrote: October 10th, 2020, 8:04 pm
Female directors
I actually meant female directed movies, I am not interested in lists of people only in lists of movies.
We just did it last year: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icmf ... ulanarchy/
I'd rather wait another year or two before rerunning that poll, and there are other older polls I'd prefer to see done in 2021 instead.

Ideas I would consider supporting that haven't already been nominated:
Dance movies
Book adaptations
Indigenous narratives (though it may be too vague to define)
Films by Black directors / non-White directors / Minority directors (i.e. minority in their own country, for example Haile Selassie's Ethiopian films wouldn't count, but his American films would)
Religious movies (either based on religious texts like the Bible or the Quran, or based around religious themes/events like Lourdes - not broadly "spiritual" films, though)

blueboybob wrote: October 10th, 2020, 8:12 pm Sports
Shorts
Horror
Doesn't Horror happen every year? Or did we finally discontinue that trend?
Shorts was done last year: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... ts/mjf314/
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: October 10th, 2020, 4:20 pm Movies With the Best Visuals (previous edition held in 2013)
Love the idea, but scared to death what that list will end up like.

Considering the recent discussion on maximalist cinema, why not nominate it for a poll?
(not really a question, consider this my nomination)

Also love the idea of doing a poll on soundtrack/scores. Essential part of cinema for me.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Onderhond wrote: October 10th, 2020, 8:35 pm

Also love the idea of doing a poll on soundtrack/scores. Essential part of cinema for me.
I knew you at least would be on board for this. Couple of other people as well - if we could at least get as many people as voted in the composers poll I think it'd do all right, especially as people will mostly have more favorite soundtracks than favorite composers.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Fergenaprido wrote: October 10th, 2020, 8:23 pm
beavis wrote: October 10th, 2020, 8:04 pm
We just did it last year: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icmf ... ulanarchy/
I'd rather wait another year or two before rerunning that poll, and there are other older polls I'd prefer to see done in 2021 instead.

Ideas I would consider supporting that haven't already been nominated:
Dance movies
Book adaptations
Indigenous narratives (though it may be too vague to define)
Films by Black directors / non-White directors / Minority directors (i.e. minority in their own country, for example Haile Selassie's Ethiopian films wouldn't count, but his American films would)
Religious movies (either based on religious texts like the Bible or the Quran, or based around religious themes/events like Lourdes - not broadly "spiritual" films, though)

blueboybob wrote: October 10th, 2020, 8:12 pm Sports
Shorts
Horror
Doesn't Horror happen every year? Or did we finally discontinue that trend?
Shorts was done last year: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... ts/mjf314/
Like Ferg says Films Directed by Women and Shorts were done last year, Horror was done last in 2018. As stated in the OP those will only be nominated with multiple backings; at least 2 others need to second these options to be nominated for the preliminary poll. So there is at least some animo to do them again next year.

The annual trend of Horror was discontinued in 2019 indeed, cause it got too little votes that time.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on October 10th, 2020, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeacefulAnarchy

I'll give horror a second nomination. It'll be 3 years by next October.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: October 10th, 2020, 7:58 pm
Lammetje wrote: October 10th, 2020, 6:32 pm How about 'Most mediocre, English-spoken unofficial movies'? I hope Ettie is still in favor of this idea.

Is this a serious nominations or not?
Yes. I would definitely try and compose a list if this were to happen.

Nautical movies is a pretty cool idea as well. Decades polls, on the other hand, seem to me like nothing more than the annual Favorite Movies poll with a filter.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
gromit82
Donator

Post by gromit82 »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: October 10th, 2020, 10:05 pm I'll give horror a second nomination. It'll be 3 years by next October.
I'll nominate horror as well. I didn't support holding that poll every year, but if it winds up being held every 3 years that's all right with me.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

I'll nominate Coming of Age and put backing in for the Horror one as well. What I really want to do is the Australian one as I missed it last time, only becoming a member a few months later but I guess it's not eligible till next year to be revoted in.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

I like a lot of the suggestions above. I’d also be interested in a Whodunnit movie poll and a superhero movie poll.
albajos

Post by albajos »

There is a lot of releases of stage Operas, Ballets, Modern Dance or other "High Art" performances. But I don't know if people if people on this forum actually watch stuff like that.

Vimeo is filled to the brim with stuff like this.

I'm keepingg theatre out of it, as it is to similar to regular movies.
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

Would be messy in terms of eligibility & how to run it, but I had an idea of something along the lines of favourite franchise/series. Batman vs Rohmer's Six Moral Tales vs Lone Wolf & Cub vs the Apu trilogy vs Star Wars vs the Up series, etc
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

brokenface wrote: October 12th, 2020, 7:55 am Would be messy in terms of eligibility & how to run it, but I had an idea of something along the lines of favourite franchise/series. Batman vs Rohmer's Six Moral Tales vs Lone Wolf & Cub vs the Apu trilogy vs Star Wars vs the Up series, etc
Best Franchises, I would surely get behind that idea.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

brokenface wrote: October 12th, 2020, 7:55 am Would be messy in terms of eligibility & how to run it, but I had an idea of something along the lines of favourite franchise/series. Batman vs Rohmer's Six Moral Tales vs Lone Wolf & Cub vs the Apu trilogy vs Star Wars vs the Up series, etc
A vote for the first movie in the franchise could stand for the whole franchise, than calculating the result wouldn't be different than a normal poll. There only might be some discussion which is the first movie of a franchise, f.e. does Batman begin with the Adam West movie, the Tim Burton or the first Nolan. But that's something than can be discussed case by case if the poll is held.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

I updated the OP. Let me know if I missed something.
Opio

Post by Opio »

I keep thinking about the mystery genre or detective movies. Was glad to see "Whodunnit" nominated; I guess that includes many detective movies. But if we think there's enough that could exist outside of the latter and the already nominated categories of Noir, Thriller/Suspense, and Crime, I'd suggest "Mystery".
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

Lonewolf2003 wrote: October 12th, 2020, 8:27 am
A vote for the first movie in the franchise could stand for the whole franchise, than calculating the result wouldn't be different than a normal poll. There only might be some discussion which is the first movie of a franchise, f.e. does Batman begin with the Adam West movie, the Tim Burton or the first Nolan. But that's something than can be discussed case by case if the poll is held.
Yeah that was the kind of issue I was thinking of, and also where you get spinoffs/related series (say Lord of the Rings + Hobbit trilogies - are they together or separate?)

In its favour though, it'd be a different slant for a poll here, as you'd be considering films collectively. Could be interesting discussions about what counts as a series when you get, for example, thematic trilogies/series from the same director. And also some series would probably get stronger appreciation as a whole as they ever would for individual entries which might split vote or later entries which get overlooked in favour of the first only.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

I like the franchise idea myself, but I think it's likely to be quite a mess, like the underrated films poll was.
beavis

Post by beavis »

What about punk and industrial? Could be just the music (halber mensch for instance) or the late 70s to early 90s subcultures (like no wave cinema) but it could be further stretched to encompass underground art from futurists, situationists, dadaists, black wave, chernuka and so on. And also the many rebel without a cause youth movements of the 50s and 60s. Tetsuo is probably going to win that poll, but i'd be curious to see how rebellious this forum can get! (I'd be impressed if Mlad i Zdrav Kao Ruza (1971) would win the poll, then we would deserve an A for rebellion ;))
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

We'd probably end up with Rebel Without a Cause winning the poll :p
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Two other suggestions based on the challenges:

Brazil
Essay Films
Gordon_Gekko

Post by Gordon_Gekko »

I don't know, if my to ideas are realy practibal, but will try:
- best episodic films

- best interaction between scene and used soundtrack in a film

What do i mean with the second one is how a soundtrack (not theme) makes the shown scene better. For example Sound of Silence in the final scene of The Graduate.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

While I love the enthusiasm from everyone, I do ask everyone to keep in mind if you really think this forum is able to collectively make a good list about your nominated subject. A subject like best interaction between scene and used soundtrack in a film is great to discuss, but very hard to make a personal list for a poll about. Punk and industrial is also an interesting idea, but unless it's defined very well so everyone understand what that entails, the changes are the definition becomes very diffuse and the list loses its meaning.

I all added them to the OP, so maybe it's just me and others will love those ideas and vote for them.
rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 »

1910's films
1900's films
1890's films
or pre-1920's films
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Oh, and as was discussed in the future poll a few months back:

Child Protagonists