Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
4th ICM Film Festival Main Thread (Fest is Nov16-Dec14)
Polls: 1966 (Results), Silents (Nov 29th), 1944 (Dec 18th)
Challenges: Noir, Mexico, Unofficial
Film of the Week: L'eau froide, December nominations (Nov 27th)
World Cup S4: Final: Germany vs Poland (Dec 1st)

500 <400 2020 RESULTS! Sponsored by Torgo

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
sortile9io

Re: 500 <400 2020 RESULTS!

Post by sortile9io » October 18th, 2020, 3:01 pm

sol wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 11:50 am
sortile9io wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 7:35 am
GruesomeTwosome wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 7:29 pm
I hope that sortile9io once again does his "Top Affinities" post showing which users have the most films (as a percentage) in common with each other, as seen in last year's post: viewtopic.php?p=605340#p605340. Always enjoy seeing that.
Sure, but first I think we'll have to see the runners-up.
Uh, my link has changed since I submitted it for the poll. :ermm:

I don't know if you use the lists as downloaded by PA, but in case you don't, here's a current link and I'll avoid changing the link name until this is over if that's going to cause problems.
No problem, I only need the spreadsheet that PA posts after the last runner-up.

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » October 18th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Torgo wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 2:28 pm
Dolwphin wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 2:16 pm
You could maybe be hired by CNN with that lovely civility? :o Also, this conversation is very polarized, and people don't agree with my point of view, so that is very alarming don't you think folks? :o
I can switch my tone any second, I have enough experience in Reddit, ED, 4chan and troll culture for that.
My (boring) impression was we try to stick closer to a constructive CNN-sort of debate here rather than the commentary section on Breitbart. :D
Why so serious? :P
Top 300 | RYM | Letterboxd

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 18th, 2020, 3:47 pm

I was away over the weekend so a lot to catch up with here (even though I checked in from time to time). Can't believe I did not vote for Rapture. Rewatch it this year, and it went up further in my esteem - but I was sure it was at a solid spot on my list already.

Quite like the questions from Adam and OldAle. Will try to answer both, and as Ale's question is the shortest I'll get to his question first: "The film on my list I saw the longest ago". I will use my top 100 for this, as it may otherwise be too much of a cat and mouse game.

It is, interestingly Hélas pour moi, which is my number 4, and due to that I'll wave the "story" until I get to Adam's question, which is, well now:

1, Heroic Purgatory (1970)
This is a film I saw exclusively because of this forum, and stems from The Magician's consistent promotion of Yoshida - a name that was never really spoken, and which I was coming across for essentially the first time. His promotion started around 2010, and was possibly sparked by the same screenings Beavis saw (though this was also just as the forum had opened). He finally swayed me in early 2011, and after seeing Yoshida's unique visual style and breathtaking composition going against standard conventions, I was sold - and quickly went through all of his available filmography - which was just getting available then. (My memory is hazy, and i may have seen Woman of the Lake first, but as it would be years until ICM would let you check "unofficial" films - there is no way of really knowing - without extensive sleuthing). Yoshioda, of course, would go on to get more and more attention (and already had) gained a small cinephile following, so I would have reached him eventually - but I really want to thank The Magician for all his hard work spreading the word. Yoshida has gone on to become one of my all-time favourite directors.

2-3: Film Portrait (1972) and Die Parallelstrasse (1962)
I don't recall if these were recommendations (perhaps by Perception) or if I discovered them on my own. I do know that the famous line from Film Portrait: "My father did not have the skills of a professional cameraman, the result: avant grade" was a signature here for a while - but I remember being surprised by this. I do recall promoting Die Parallelstrasse a lot - both here and on FG3, and with a bit of success (same on Heroic Purgatory). Film Portrait did not make this list, but I did get it on DtC at least. It has to be experienced: a wonderful personal essay.

Are you here PdA? Did you get Die Parallelstrasse from me, or vice versa? (or no relation either way)?

4. Hélas pour moi (1993)
Jean-Luc Godard was one of the directors who truly got me into cinema, and he remains my favourite director to this day. I recall catching Alphaville, and later Le Mephris, on TV, when I was 16 or 17. Could not believe the beauty and magic I was seeing, and I needed to see more. This was clearly vocal and resulted in getting the JLG box set ("Godard collection") the following Christmas, complete with 10 films (6 from the 60s, 3 from the 80s and 1 from the 90s). Still have it on my shelf. I watched them religiously, and most became favourites in various degrees. Detective is also on my top 100 (both this list and in my real top 100), the rest have passed the treshhold.

5. The Elegant Life of Mr Everyman (1963)
This film was part of my Okamoto obsession. I'm not sure if this forum, or FG3, was involved - but it was sparked by the obvious suspect: The Sword of Doom - and needing to see more films from the master director who (beyond dominating the Kinema Junpo list) was rarely spoken of - and I discovered one of the most versatile masters in cinema history - one who could go from silly action comedies, to bleak depiction of war and terror, to surrealism and experimentation. The Elegant Life of Mr Everyman truly belongs in the pantheon of the greatest films of all time for its wonderful performances and surrealistic/experimental touches, that manages to be simultaneously touching, satirical,clever, biting, and so much more. A bit like a slightly darker live action version of My Neighbours the Yamadas.

6. Les rendez-vous de Paris (1995)
A shockingly overlooked Rohmer, that belongs with his very best - likely seen in part due to the popularity of Rohmer on this forum (as I saw it before I changed my mind on Rohmer, and was my favourite of his for a long time).

7. Aa bakudan (1964)
Another incredible discovery when going through Okamato's filmography, and likely the one I have pushed the most on this forum, due to its feat of being a surrealistic yakuza musical.

8. La belle captive (1983)
Interestingly I saw this the same mini-vacation as I saw Heroic Purgatory in, and they were my only 10s that year (and for a while longer as well) - incredible coincidence. The reason I saw La Belle Captive had nothing to do with this forum, but was directly caused by FG and FG3s push of Eden and After (which is also one of the greatest films of all time and on my list - though I gave priority to La Belle Captive). I'm sure many here were around then and it is too bad Robbe-Grillet is no longer pushed as hard as he was then - the job is not quite done - even though his films have gained a lot more popularity.

9. Nárcisz és Psyché (1980)
This is a little embarrassing as it is the most recent addition to the top 10, but I genuinely don't remember where I got it from. I do however remember it being promoted, quite likely here.

10. Eros + Massacre (1969)
Also seen due to The Magician, though due to its 3 hour+ runtime it was one of the latter Yoshida films I saw. Heroic Purgatory worked as a perfect warm up however, as it really is more time spent with that visual style - and if you loved HP that is impossible to turn down.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » October 18th, 2020, 4:00 pm

I think there are quite a few who watched Die Parallelstrasse back in IMDb days; I definitely recall discussing it but not sure it was with PdA, matthewscott, others - but I'm pretty sure it was one of those two whose rec got me to watch it, a little less than 6 years ago. It's one of those films I ought to prioritize watching again - too much for one viewing, something I recognized when I saw it right away.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 18th, 2020, 4:26 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 4:00 pm
I think there are quite a few who watched Die Parallelstrasse back in IMDb days; I definitely recall discussing it but not sure it was with PdA, matthewscott, others - but I'm pretty sure it was one of those two whose rec got me to watch it, a little less than 6 years ago. It's one of those films I ought to prioritize watching again - too much for one viewing, something I recognized when I saw it right away.
Some light sleuthing on the now dead FG3 forum, and it was indeed Matthewscott's recommendation that got me to see it (his write-ups for his top 100 back in '12), complete with this reply from me:

"Excellent! What an incredible effort. Never heard of Die Parallelstrasse before, the write-up made it sound really fascinating. Will probably read up on and watch several of these films. Thank you for your hard and very helpful work!"

Followed by a new thread THE VERY SAME DAY: "I just watched the most fascinating film thanks to Matthew Scott".

Case closed.

Cheers, Matthew!

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 18th, 2020, 4:34 pm

As the question was not raised, I think it would be interesting to see if 400<500 top spots had an impact on you beyond simply watching the films.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 18th, 2020, 4:40 pm

For me The Fifth Zeal launched my interest in Zoltan Fabri (now seen all his subtitled work) and he is one of my all-time favourite directors, but it also kickstarted an additional interest in Hungarian cinema, and lead me to seek out and explore a long list of films that ended up becoming favourites, including Nárcisz és Psyché. This would quite possibly not have happened if not for this list.

I also think the prominence of Masumura really changed how people, myself included, engaged with his work, and I think a long list of films got extra exposure here thanks to A Wife Confesses, Red Angel, Kisses (and possibly also Moju - which I believe was the only film from him I had seen before all this started). Slowly but surely people went through his filmography, and he became a genuinely notable director while often a footnote elsewhere. He is on my top 100 director list as well.

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » October 18th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Thanks for the countdown Peaceful.

The film on my list I saw the longest ago was Lift (my #55), a British doc about a man interviewing people in an elevator. Saw it before I made an account on ICM, possibly around 2009 when it was uploaded to YouTube. Since it's seen 1 million times I guess more ICM people have actually seen it than the 77 so far on icheckmovies.

As for the source of my top tens:

1. I for India (2005)
One of Peaceful's recs.

2. Iluminacja (1973)
I think I saw this as part of a challenge, might have been on the list already.

3. O'er the Land (2009)
4. The Work (2017)
These were introduced to me through a film society I was part of.

5. Drehbuch - Die Zeiten (1993)
Watched as part of my master thesis.

6. Nobody's Business (1996)
One of Sebby's recs.

7. Xianshi shi guoqu de weilai (2009)
One of XxXApathy420XxX's recs.

8. Kreuzweg (2014)
9. Ex Libris: The New York Public Library (2017)
10. At Berkeley (2013)
Saw these in the cinema.

Jimi Antiloop

Post by Jimi Antiloop » October 18th, 2020, 10:09 pm

1. Das radikal Böse (2013)
Probably that one catched me through it's title. As a dcoumentary lover, that made me hope to find out something new, about the evil.
It let find me out about free will in the end.

2. Something Unknown Is Doing We Don't Know What (2009)
Another documentary I choose to watch because of the title. Another good first glimps into the field of para science.

3. One Point O (2004)
As somebody thinking and talking about ours reality I choosed this on to watch, because in the german realease it says "... - you are programmed".
What to say? We are. This one is a bit cryptic but very well executed and meaningful.

4. Nirvana -(1997)
I also like hacker movies and this one seemed to be just a trashy end 90s Sci-Fi Flick. ... this is with the immortal "Highlander".
It came out to be a very interesting matrix movie.

5. Master of the Universe (2013)
Saw this one at the DOK Leipzig Documentary and Animation festival in 2013. Questioning Economics was always my interest.
It came out to be a psycho analysis of creed and a blueprint of corrupted parallel worlds.

6. Die Parallelstrasse (1962) #
Discovered this through the 500 <400 list. Wow, what an experimental ride and fundamental cryptic but also plain view on humanity.
"LET-HIM-WHO-IS-WITHOUT-SIN-CAST-THE-FIRST-STONE"

7. Mumia: Long Distance Revolutionary (2012)
Found this documentary during the time I had an REALEYEZ subscription. Bought a shirt to support the "free mumia" movement back, when I was in school, so I gave it a watch. And yes, what a marathon man and great thinker fighting against injustice out from prison.

8. Scream of the Ants (2006)
Again it was the titel I guess. Why schould ants scream? What does this metaphor stands for?
You might have guessed it, we are the ants and sometimes we have the power to scream for more wisdom and final freedom.

9. De zee die denkt (2000)
A couchsurfer from the Netherlands was recommending this one to me, after we explored each others world views.
Man, this was a phenomenal philosophical ride, into the bulls eye.

10. The Frame (2014)
Saw "Ink" of the same director, because this was about lucid dreaming and arround the LD community.
Even so "Ink" wasn't bad this one actually was much more interesting for me.
:ICM: :letbxd: :Crtiticker: Reality Checks on :imdb:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”― Philip K. Dick

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » October 18th, 2020, 11:43 pm

I only saw five of the 150 entries on my list before 2000. They are:

The Daytrippers (1996) -- I don't remember exactly when, but probably on VHS in the late 90s.
Nevada Smith (1966) -- A childhood favorite, probably first seen in the early 90s.
There Was a Crooked Man (1970) -- Same as above.
Les Miserables (1995) -- At Lincoln Plaza Cinemas on 64th street in 1995.
The Program (1993) -- In 1999, with the rest of my high school football team.

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » October 19th, 2020, 2:03 am

Is this going to be another case where the rankings aren't adjusted for weeks afterwards? Seems to be a problem when official lists are changed.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 19th, 2020, 3:08 am

Which rankings? Pretty sure list rankings updated.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » October 19th, 2020, 4:29 am

Yes, they did already, as mentioned previously by a couple of us in this thread a few days go.

TalkingElvish

Post by TalkingElvish » October 19th, 2020, 4:49 am

filmbantha wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 2:35 pm
TalkingElvish wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 2:04 pm
Amazing. You must be the other person responsible for Lawn Dogs slipping into the Top 500. It was fun while it lasted! Hopefully it can creep back in next year. I saw it both times it played in Tasmania's only arthouse cinema when it came out. Took a bunch of friends the second time. I got to chat to the director, John Duigan, at a film festival last year and he seemed very surprised and delighted that anyone wanted to talk about it. He was there to talk about The Year My Voice Broke, another acclaimed film I'm surprised hasn't shown up here, especially as it's on two other lists and regularly mentioned as one of the better Australian films. Coincidentally, Rolf de Heer was at the screening too.
I'm pretty sure Sol has it high up on his list too unless I'm mistaken? Hopefully it won't be too far down into the second part of the list although it might exceed the 400 checks before next year, we shall have to see! That's really cool that you met John Duigan, I haven't explored his filmography at all (I've only seen Lawn Dogs and The Parole Officer) so maybe I should take a look at his other films. The year my voice broke sounds familiar, it might have been covered in the recent BBC series David Stratton's stories of Australian cinema - which is still on BBC Iplayer and is a fascinating watch for anyone reading this who is curious about Australian cinema in general.
It is, The Year My Voice Broke is pretty magnificent, it's also Ben Mendelsohn's breakout role (for Australian audiences anyway). Just as a Rolf de Heer sidebar - when I was a film-obsessed teenager, Rolf de Heer came to my home city of Hobart where he was producing a film called The Sound of One Hand Clapping, written and directed by the Man Booker Prize-winning author Richard Flanagan. de Heer gave a masterclass in filmmaking to which four people turned up, so I got to pick his brain and he was so fascinating and made filmmaking sound so possible that my entire life was changed and I started working in the film industry. When I met him thirty years later, at the film festival last year in Marrakesh with John Duigan, he had no recollection of the class at all but described The Sound of One Hand Clapping as "the great Australian movie, absolutely phenomenal...until Richard Flanagan, a first time director - in fact only time director - forced himself into the editing room and turned it into an extremely boring film. It was tragic."

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 19th, 2020, 6:13 am

#501(⇩288, #213) La jaula de oro (2013)
[The Golden Dream]

Directed by: Diego Quemada-Díez
(295.18 Pts, 8 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–1–2
History: 501213185291569823NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 315 Checks , 44 Favourites , 3 Official lists
List of Voters:Show
jeroeno (6)
filmbantha (20)
Gorro (73)
sortile9io (74)
cayh (81)
ChrisReynolds (164)
joachimt (192)
72aicm (NA)
#502(⇩118, #384) Acht Stunden sind kein Tag (1972)
[Eight Hours Don't Make a Day]

Directed by:
(294.67 Pts, 7 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–1–3
History: 502384815NANANANA←NA
ICheckMovies: 77 Checks , 17 Favourites , 3 Official lists
72aicm (9)
rnilsson19 (16)
outdoorcats (23)
Cocoa (103)
matthewscott8 (104)
cinephage (289)
St. Gloede (513)
#503(⇩116, #387) Adelheid (1970)
Directed by: Frantisek Vlácil
(294.06 Pts, 11 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–3
History: 5033874533038751070NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 203 Checks , 19 Favourites , 3 Official lists
hurluberlu (15)
bjornam (39)
nimimerkillinen (48)
tarr (NA)
paul281f (NA)
Smoover (NA)
russa03 (164)
72aicm (NA)
beavis (318)
Ivan0716 (NA)
RogerTheMovieManiac88 (NA)
#504(⇩20, #484) Toda-ke no kyôdai (1941)
[The Brothers and Sisters of the Toda Family]

Directed by: Yasujirô Ozu
(294.05 Pts, 9 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–1–2
History: 504484565294677340746←NA
ICheckMovies: 293 Checks , 22 Favourites , 2 Official lists
Lonewolf2003 (4)
Angel Glez (30)
DudeLanez (78)
sushantv10 (79)
joachimt (85)
dinah (NA)
burneyfan (153)
Mothravka (NA)
perceval (378)
#505(⇩177, #328) Lucía (1968)
Directed by: Humberto Solás
(293.9 Pts, 11 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–1
History: 505328612502375256639←NA
ICheckMovies: 358 Checks , 23 Favourites , 7 Official lists
Melvelet (15)
zhangalan (60)
Perception de Ambiguity (66)
hurluberlu (71)
Gorro (98)
Timec (138)
joachimt (142)
russa03 (142)
lineuphere (157)
jeroeno (183)
Cocoa (618)

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 19th, 2020, 6:14 am

I'll probably be a bit sporadic with the runner up posting today, but better some sporadic than none, I think.

beavis

Post by beavis » October 19th, 2020, 7:47 am

yeah, good you've started with the "runner up counting down" no matter how sporadic it might get
but there also was a kind of tool people use to make the posts automatically, timed and such...i think... btw

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 19th, 2020, 8:29 am

#506(⇩174, #332) Intruder in the Dust (1949)
Directed by: Clarence Brown
(293.82 Pts, 16 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–1
History: 506332347274486949NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 351 Checks , 21 Favourites , 5 Official lists
burneyfan (16)
blocho (NA)
cayado-coro (75)
cayh (75)
sushantv10 (102)
jeff_v (116)
hurluberlu (141)
Gordon_Gekko (167)
Timec (184)
Kasparius (195)
OldAle1 (NA)
frbrown (257)
Leopardi (265)
jlfitz (283)
sebby (301)
bal3x (387)
#507(⇩109, #398) Metro Manila (2013)
Directed by: Sean Ellis
(293.63 Pts, 9 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–2–2
History: 50739870465813611996NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 319 Checks , 34 Favourites , 1 Official list
Angel Glez (8)
filmbantha (10)
amechsner (53)
Gorro (109)
Gordon_Gekko (115)
toromash (138)
joachimt (237)
72aicm (241)
sol (364)
#508(⇩244, #264) Girlfriends (1978)
Directed by: Claudia Weill
(293.13 Pts, 10 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–1
History: 508264312338249312882←NA
ICheckMovies: 350 Checks , 36 Favourites , 4 Official lists
sebby (11)
Kasparius (52)
connordenney (64)
ckfilm88 (103)
paul281f (NA)
rnilsson19 (113)
Leopardi (132)
brokenface (158)
bal3x (164)
Daviddoes (184)
#509(⇧35, #544) To Play the King (1993)
Directed by: (empty)
(292.77 Pts, 7 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–4
History: 509544398563400904NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 263 Checks , 28 Favourites , 1 Official list
ChrisReynolds (15)
Fergenaprido (19)
AdamH (24)
bal3x (46)
joachimt (225)
72aicm (NA)
mathiasa (398)
#510(⇧295, #805) Davandeh (1984)
[The Runner]

Directed by: Amir Naderi
(292.57 Pts, 13 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–1–2
History: 5108051070168928884484NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 157 Checks , 22 Favourites , 3 Official lists
Nathan Treadway (5)
Leopardi (46)
Y U M E (87)
Mysterious Dude (98)
filmbantha (100)
3eyes (NA)
Fergenaprido (125)
cinewest (157)
zzzorf (239)
cinephage (262)
hurluberlu (285)
St. Gloede (331)
joachimt (393)

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 19th, 2020, 8:32 am

beavis wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 7:47 am
yeah, good you've started with the "runner up counting down" no matter how sporadic it might get
but there also was a kind of tool people use to make the posts automatically, timed and such...i think... btw
The problem isn't posting, it's that while I've found most of the new screenshots I haven't cropped/resized/uploaded them. I wanted to get it done before I started but I'll just do it as I go. I should still finish the runners up by the weekend.

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » October 19th, 2020, 9:26 am

Aw shoot, figured Acht Stunden didn't need my extra support so prioritized a few other films instead.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 19th, 2020, 9:40 am

1000<400 (2020) checkable list :ICM:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... 2020/sol-/

As per last year, I'll update the list in "real time", or as close to real time as possible given I'm driving into work every day during this pandemic and still need to sleep at night.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 19th, 2020, 9:43 am

#511(⇧493, #1004) Avaze gonjeshk-ha (2008)
[The Song of Sparrows]

Directed by: Majid Majidi
(291.98 Pts, 6 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–3
History: 5111004723689587549NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 326 Checks , 39 Favourites , 0 Official lists
Obgeoff (13)
Timec (15)
sushantv10 (16)
Nathan Treadway (84)
tommy_leazaq (NA)
sebby (227)
#512(⇧41, #553) Tsuitô no zawameki (1988)
[Noisy Requiem]

Directed by: Yoshihiko Matsui
(291.92 Pts, 6 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 1–2–3
History: 512553900600614369310←NA
ICheckMovies: 103 Checks , 14 Favourites , 1 Official list
Melvelet (1)
Y U M E (10)
beavis (50)
Mothravka (NA)
Carmel1379 (207)
St. Gloede (520)
#513(⇧1694, #2207) Mandabi (1968)
[The Money Order]

Directed by: Ousmane Sembene
(291.7 Pts, 7 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–1–3
History: 51322076735341118571936NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 154 Checks , 12 Favourites , 2 Official lists
tourdesb (2)
Cinepolis (34)
DudeLanez (40)
pitchorneirda (NA)
burneyfan (84)
bal3x (332)
#514(⇩92, #422) Qui êtes-vous, Polly Maggoo? (1966)
[Who Are You, Polly Magoo?]

Directed by: William Klein
(291.38 Pts, 9 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–3
History: 514422430428770602NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 335 Checks , 35 Favourites , 2 Official lists
paul281f (11)
Daviddoes (33)
Ebbywebby (35)
sol (81)
jeroeno (135)
Armoreska (136)
klaus78 (152)
Ivan0716 (NA)
mathiasa (441)
#515(⇧439, #954) Popcorn (1991)
Directed by: Mark Herrier
(290.71 Pts, 5 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–1–3
History: 51595465898811741233NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 270 Checks , 10 Favourites , 1 Official list
mightysparks (9)
sol (17)
Daviddoes (19)
Good_Will_Harding (NA)
Cocoa (463)

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » October 19th, 2020, 9:47 am

Ooh Popcorn so close :(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 19th, 2020, 9:53 am

rnilsson19 wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 9:26 am
Aw shoot, figured Acht Stunden didn't need my extra support so prioritized a few other films instead.
I really don't get this strategic voting. Why don't y'all just vote for your favorite movies below 400 checks? :mw_confused:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » October 19th, 2020, 10:51 am

Lammetje wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 9:53 am
rnilsson19 wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 9:26 am
I really don't get this strategic voting. Why don't y'all just vote for your favorite movies below 400 checks? :mw_confused:
Honstely, in a list of 300 movies, ranking from 246 to 231 does not come naturally to me, and it doesn't make a huge difference. So this "strategic voting" jumps in eventually. I won't choose a ranking I don't agree with, but there is room enough for some strategic action in my ranking without having to promote a non-favorite, or put a favorite behind...

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 19th, 2020, 10:59 am

#516(⇧275, #791) River of Grass (1994)
Directed by: Kelly Reichardt
(290.45 Pts, 8 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–2
History: 516791126437425536NANA←NA
ICheckMovies: 256 Checks , 12 Favourites , 0 Official lists
sebby (19)
rnilsson19 (36)
TraverseTown (56)
GruesomeTwosome (78)
Mate_cosido (80)
vortexsurfer (NA)
ckfilm88 (188)
lineuphere (202)
#517(⇧137, #654) Vuelven (2017)
[Tigers Are Not Afraid]

Directed by: Issa López
(290.34 Pts, 7 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 1–1–2
History: 517654NANANANANA←NA
ICheckMovies: 270 Checks , 26 Favourites , 0 Official lists
Kublai Khan (1)
72aicm (16)
ChrisReynolds (60)
filmbantha (71)
beavis (106)
Gorro (281)
cinephage (295)
#518(⇩19, #499) Diaries Notes and Sketches (1969)
Directed by: Jonas Mekas
(289.99 Pts, 10 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–2
History: 518499449937527593NA←218
ICheckMovies: 258 Checks , 28 Favourites , 5 Official lists
klaus78 (16)
Kasparius (32)
tarr (NA)
Dolwphin (NA)
zuma (105)
Smoover (NA)
frbrown (176)
bjornam (284)
Mothravka (NA)
perceval (290)
#519(⇧349, #868) Marti, dupã Crãciun (2010)
[Tuesday, After Christmas]

Directed by: Radu Muntean
(289.72 Pts, 7 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–3
History: 51986884016689865720NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 323 Checks , 20 Favourites , 0 Official lists
cayado-coro (26)
Obgeoff (37)
Teproc (43)
outdoorcats (51)
Gershwin (69)
beavis (153)
72aicm (NA)
#520(⇧949, #1469) Der Wald vor lauter Bäumen (2003)
[The Forest for the Trees]

Directed by: Maren Ade
(289.49 Pts, 6 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–3
History: 52014691120111115363111NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 155 Checks , 14 Favourites , 0 Official lists
ckfilm88 (12)
Obgeoff (25)
nimimerkillinen (50)
connordenney (52)
vortexsurfer (NA)
bjornam (174)

Torgo

Post by Torgo » October 19th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Our #501 missed the 500th rank by 1 point, fyi (at a number of 295 points).
Which leads me to the question I was inclined to ask since the countdown started, but got too afraid, since it's embarrassing :mw_confused: - can someone ELI5-explain to me how the points for each participant are calculated? Please, no formula with n^³, my brain instantly shuts down when seeing that. :D
I'd be thankful for 4 examples, a user with a list of 40, one with 100, one with 200 (me) and one with 700. What difference the ranking actually makes. When I hear of half-life, I think of a videogame. :$

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » October 19th, 2020, 1:08 pm

The half-life is 50, so a movie at #1 receives 100 points, at #51 it's 50 points, #101 - 25 points, ...
The formula calculates the values in-between accordingly. So, the further down the list you go, the point difference between a rank and the next one get less.
For every user, the points for a specific rank are the same.
Current recommendation: Batch '81 (1982)

ImageImage

Current focus: Complete ICMFF (20/46, starting at 2), 1000<400

Torgo

Post by Torgo » October 19th, 2020, 1:15 pm

Thanks. Do I understand correctly that you're able to give away more points to movies with a long list than someone with a mere top 100?
So, someone with a top 100 has their last films 95-100 valued approx 32-25 points each and there it ends, while someone with a top 700 has their nominees 101-200 valued with 25-12 points each?
:unsure:

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 19th, 2020, 1:26 pm

The length of the list does not affect the value of, say, your 9th, 59th or 127th. They will remain the same.

This does however mean that the longer your list is, the more points you can give away.

Torgo

Post by Torgo » October 19th, 2020, 1:41 pm

Thanks, that's how I understood it.
Looking at the points needed for each rank in the - this time quite active and contested - poll:
#520: 289.49
#500: 296.27
#450: 313.39
#400: 326.84
.. I will perhaps ponder on how inclusive I want my list to be in the future. :think: Let's see when my first vote appears that I didn't rank at at all (put at the end of the list, that is) and how it hurt the poor film.

Let's continue!

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » October 19th, 2020, 1:55 pm

Nice to see the boost for River of Grass. Still has few enough checks to possibly get into the top 500 next year with a bit more of a nudge.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 19th, 2020, 2:52 pm

#521(⇧382, #903) Dom na Trubnoy (1928)
Directed by: Boris Barnet
(289.26 Pts, 10 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–1–2
History: 521903777724786959NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 230 Checks , 15 Favourites , 4 Official lists
Nopros (4)
Panunzio (14)
russa03 (80)
Knaldskalle (103)
jlfitz (127)
zuma (146)
sushantv10 (161)
joachimt (169)
matthewscott8 (369)
#522(⇩256, #266) Comrades (1986)
Directed by: Bill Douglas
(288.89 Pts, 10 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–3
History: 52226620723114351129NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 135 Checks , 23 Favourites , 3 Official lists
hurluberlu (14)
perceval (34)
Pretentious Hipster (49)
weirdboy (111)
Smoover (NA)
filmbantha (161)
burneyfan (221)
mathiasa (236)
beavis (412)
#523(⇩1, #522) Une femme a passé (1928)
Directed by: René Jayet
(288.27 Pts, 12 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–3
History: 523522429515NANANA←NA
ICheckMovies: 55 Checks , 8 Favourites , 1 Official list
klaus78 (43)
Pretentious Hipster (44)
Perception de Ambiguity (49)
tarr (NA)
sushantv10 (96)
perceval (144)
joachimt (156)
rnilsson19 (159)
jeroeno (167)
zuma (NA)
bjornam (262)
Fergenaprido (476)
#524(⇧571, #1095) Kukushka (2002)
[The Cuckoo]

Directed by: Aleksandr Rogozhkin
(288.15 Pts, 8 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–3
History: 5241095297296221442596←293
ICheckMovies: 388 Checks , 41 Favourites , 1 Official list
Armoreska (15)
ororama (33)
72aicm (46)
cinewest (NA)
3eyes (NA)
Smoover (NA)
joachimt (144)
Fergenaprido (570)
#525(⇩91, #434) The Visit (1964)
Directed by: Bernhard Wicki
(287.31 Pts, 6 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–3–3
History: 5254342235104431012569NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 75 Checks , 8 Favourites , 1 Official list
1SO (3)
amechsner (6)
sol (9)
jeroeno (246)
joachimt (265)
72aicm (NA)

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » October 19th, 2020, 3:22 pm

Nice to see 'Mandabi' rise by some 1,500 places. The colours are so lushly detailed and evocative. One of Sembene's very greatest films!

A shame to see 'Comrades' fall out of the Top 500. A magnificent and compelling look at these men uprooted and transported to the unforgiving Australian environment. We certainly missed flaiky's vote for it this year!
Last edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88 on October 19th, 2020, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's all, folks!

Torgo

Post by Torgo » October 19th, 2020, 3:23 pm

So many films with 10-13 votes not making it. :o
The Visit even has 3 Top 10 votes!
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 2:52 pm
#525(⇩91, #434) The Visit (1964)
Directed by: Bernhard Wicki
(287.31 Pts, 6 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–3–3
History: 5254342235104431012569NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 75 Checks , 8 Favourites , 1 Official list
1SO (3)
amechsner (6)
sol (9)
jeroeno (246)
joachimt (265)
72aicm (NA)

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » October 19th, 2020, 3:37 pm

#526(⇩215, #311) Postava k podpírání (1963)
[Joseph Kilian]

Directed by: Pavel Jurácek, Jan Schmidt
(287.22 Pts, 15 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–1
History: 526311375293294436560←NA
ICheckMovies: 241 Checks , 17 Favourites , 3 Official lists
zhangalan (40)
bal3x (56)
russa03 (72)
jeroeno (97)
Ebbywebby (125)
dinah (NA)
Smoover (NA)
bjornam (133)
Melvelet (154)
klaus78 (161)
Gorro (187)
Lilarcor (193)
cayh (195)
jlfitz (216)
Ivan0716 (NA)
#527(⇧1790, #2317) Brouillard: Passage #14 (2014)
Directed by: Alexandre Larose
(286.84 Pts, 6 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–3
History: 5272317NANANANANA←NA
ICheckMovies: 73 Checks , 10 Favourites , 1 Official list
Pretentious Hipster (12)
viktor-vaudevillain (40)
lineuphere (48)
matthewscott8 (55)
Carmel1379 (93)
Lilarcor (136)
#528(⇧2868, #3396) Sugar (2008)
Directed by: Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck
(286.69 Pts, 6 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–3
History: 52833961107131515551163NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 365 Checks , 25 Favourites , 0 Official lists
Jay Mars (17)
Panunzio (33)
brokenface (34)
blocho (NA)
Angel Glez (109)
Obgeoff (144)
#529(⇧808, #1337) Yim ji kau (1987)
[Rouge]

Directed by: Stanley Kwan
(286.4 Pts, 7 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–1–2
History: 529133752295314401536NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 254 Checks , 16 Favourites , 5 Official lists
ororama (2)
Rufus-T (45)
Traveller (58)
cayado-coro (67)
RBG (NA)
rnilsson19 (155)
Torgo (171)
#530(⇩65, #465) Pushover (1954)
Directed by: Richard Quine
(286.26 Pts, 10 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–1–2
History: 530465154720499971090NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 368 Checks , 15 Favourites , 2 Official lists
1SO (2)
Apu (44)
blocho (NA)
bal3x (105)
PeacefulAnarchy (122)
Tarris1 (147)
frbrown (155)
connordenney (156)
Gordon_Gekko (209)
sebby (218)

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » October 19th, 2020, 3:51 pm

Torgo wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 12:24 pm
Our #501 missed the 500th rank by 1 point, fyi (at a number of 295 points).
Which leads me to the question I was inclined to ask since the countdown started, but got too afraid, since it's embarrassing :mw_confused: - can someone ELI5-explain to me how the points for each participant are calculated? Please, no formula with n^³, my brain instantly shuts down when seeing that. :D
I'd be thankful for 4 examples, a user with a list of 40, one with 100, one with 200 (me) and one with 700. What difference the ranking actually makes. When I hear of half-life, I think of a videogame. :$
This graph might help. It's for a half-life=50. It's a bit misleading, cause for the ranked it shows the distribution within a list, but for unranked it shows the average of the various list lengths.

I know Joachim had an insightfull graph with different half-lifes, which shows clearly how that influence the scoring. But can't find that one.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 19th, 2020, 4:00 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 3:51 pm
I know Joachim had an insightfull graph with different half-lifes, which shows clearly how that influence the scoring. But can't find that one.
Didn't save it, but I can make one quickly if anyone is interested.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » October 19th, 2020, 4:14 pm

Torgo wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 1:15 pm
Thanks. Do I understand correctly that you're able to give away more points to movies with a long list than someone with a mere top 100?
So, someone with a top 100 has their last films 95-100 valued approx 32-25 points each and there it ends, while someone with a top 700 has their nominees 101-200 valued with 25-12 points each?
:unsure:
The maximum number of points you can give away (with an infinite length list and half life of 50) is 7263.59 points, but as you can see from the graph below, once you get over 250, you get very diminished returns.

Torgo

Post by Torgo » October 19th, 2020, 4:29 pm

Thanks. Nice to see an informative, not Covid-related graph this year.