Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

World Cup, Season 4, Match QFD: Estonia vs Russia (Oct 11th)

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

joachimt wrote: October 12th, 2020, 8:27 pm So can you make it in 2.5 days, pitch?
I'll try but can't promise

Edit : I found the Russian one on Youtube, I'll probably watch it tonight (tonight CET time)
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
kingink

Post by kingink »

I will try to watch them today or tomorrow. Let's break the tie! I had some problems with work lately so I wasn't in the mood. I am back though in the World Cup now.
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

1. Meeletu 5+
2. Obyknovennoe chudo 5-

I think Meeletu wins because it was simpler, less predictable and a little more ambitious visually and Obyknovennoe chudo was unnecessarily long. But don't mind the ratings, I found something to enjoy in both of them, so thanks to the managers.

PS : Fun fact, the director of Meeletu was an actor in Mandariinid a.k.a Tangerines

PPS : oh and now seeing that several people mentioned they liked the music in the Russian movie, I must say I hated it
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

1. Meeletu
2. Obyknovennoe chudo

I just misremembered the voting deadline -- glad to have another chance to submit my vote. Thanks, jvv and Gorro!

PS -- I really love Mandariinid, though that had nothing to do with my vote.
kingink

Post by kingink »

1. Obyknovennoe chudo
2. Meeletu

I won't post my ratings, because... well... Let's leave it at that, ok? :whistling:

Does this mean that Estonia will win? hehehe Good luck finding another film for the next round! This will be interesting.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

BTW Estonia probably has a chance of winning the WC if JVV picks correct films.

f.e. this is available
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0988108/reviews
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1247696/reviews
and probably 10 more I would like to see
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
jvv
Donator

Post by jvv »

I can say with certainty that I will not choose Püha Tõnu kiusamine (The Temptation of St. Tony). It might do well with people on this forum, since there is a resemblance to Roy Andersson movies, but I disliked it myself. As for Klass, I still haven't seen it. Started it twice, but didn't like the beginning, so turned it off again. Maybe I will like it if I actually watch the whole movie.

I have looked into Mandariinid, but although it has Estonia as one of the countries on Imdb, I don't think it's Estonian enough unfortunately.

Of course it's still possible that Russia wins and this is all a moot point.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Mandariinid is not eligible

We Estonians need our manager to think of the strategy now, not of personal preference.
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
jvv
Donator

Post by jvv »

Armoreska wrote: October 14th, 2020, 10:05 am We Estonians need our manager to think of the strategy now, not of personal preference.
Sorry, personal preference supersedes strategy. You can always choose to be the manager for Estonia for the next world cup. :whistling:
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

This is our only shot at greatness.
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović »

Armoreska wrote: October 14th, 2020, 10:05 am We Estonians need our manager to think of the strategy now, not of personal preference.
So you change nationality every now and then?
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Mario Gaborović wrote: October 14th, 2020, 11:37 am
So you change nationality every now and then?
tehe we who have no nationality can freely change it as we wish.
F.e. when someone beats our nation, they may turn some of us to their nationality.
We're nationality-fluid.
I was Lebanese once too.
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
kingink

Post by kingink »

Armoreska wrote: October 14th, 2020, 9:38 am BTW Estonia probably has a chance of winning the WC if JVV picks correct films.

f.e. this is available
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0988108/reviews
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1247696/reviews
and probably 10 more I would like to see
Unfortunately I have seen both and rated them with 5 and 6. :whistling:
The only other Estonian films I have seen and liked and have not been already nominated in a World Cup are
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5593384/?ref_=adv_li_tt Truth and Justice
and https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106671/?ref_=adv_li_tt Darkness in Talin
but if I am not mistaken Truth and justice is not eligible. Is there a rule for release date? I don't remember.
jvv
Donator

Post by jvv »

I think Truth and Justice is eligible, since as far as I know there is no rule for release date.
Spoiler
It's the movie I'm considering for the final, if I would get there.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

It's not getting to 1000 any time soon at that pace so it should be eligible.
I would have used it for the semi instead of the final to guarantee final 2, and then rolled with personal preference

I'm watching Klass yeah I dont suppose this will have success but i liked it a bit, more than Meeletu

Do you need help with watching, JVV? I see you have basically 0 checks on the 3 Estonian lists
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/eest ... sika/ralf/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/estonian+film+100/r/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/esto ... +van+dutch
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/esto ... 002/mjf314
Last edited by Armoreska on October 14th, 2020, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Nathan, Mario, nimi
what do you think of
Sugisball
Kevade
Viimne reliikvia
Mina olin siin
Mehed ei nuta
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
jvv
Donator

Post by jvv »

Armoreska wrote: October 14th, 2020, 2:41 pm Do you need help with watching, JVV? I see you have basically 0 checks on the 3 Estonian lists
Nah, I've already picked out my movie for the next round (if I proceed; Russia can still win this one).
Mario Gaborović

Armoreska wrote: October 14th, 2020, 3:25 pm Nathan, Mario, nimi
what do you think of
Sugisball
Kevade
Viimne reliikvia
Mina olin siin
Mehed ei nuta
All of those are pretty bland to me when compared to Klass, which btw has its last chance to be chosen since it's checked 919 times.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Image Meeletu: 13
Image Obyknovennoe chudo: 12

Deadline in 16.5 hours.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

jvv wrote: October 14th, 2020, 3:36 pm
Armoreska wrote: October 14th, 2020, 2:41 pm Do you need help with watching, JVV? I see you have basically 0 checks on the 3 Estonian lists
Nah, I've already picked out my movie for the next round (if I proceed; Russia can still win this one).
hope it's an oldie. been straight 21st century movies for 3 rounds.
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway »

Armoreska wrote: October 14th, 2020, 3:25 pm Nathan, Mario, nimi
what do you think of
Sugisball
Kevade
Viimne reliikvia
Mina olin siin
Mehed ei nuta
I really enjoyed Kevade but that probably owes more to my sensibilities than anything. Joke's seen it, too, so if she goes with it, there's a pretty good chance I vote for it. My opinion means nothing though, and I'll be just as happy seeing something new.
Mario Gaborović

35 minutes left.
Mario Gaborović

Image Meeletu: 13
Image Obyknovennoe chudo: 12

Estonia wins. Congratulations to jvv. Also thanks to Gorro for his pick and to the 25 people who voted this match.

This is only the second time that match was decided after extra time; the first was in the Season 1 when Hungary beat Norway 15-14.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Mario Gaborović wrote: October 15th, 2020, 11:09 am This is only the second time that match was decided after extra time; the first was in the Season 1 when Hungary beat Norway 15-14.
Stop reminding me about that loss. :'(
ICM-profile
Mario Gaborović

joachimt wrote: October 15th, 2020, 4:05 pm
Mario Gaborović wrote: October 15th, 2020, 11:09 am This is only the second time that match was decided after extra time; the first was in the Season 1 when Hungary beat Norway 15-14.
Can you share the participation details now after quarterfinals ended?
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Mario Gaborović wrote: October 15th, 2020, 7:36 pm
joachimt wrote: October 15th, 2020, 4:05 pm
Can you share the participation details now after quarterfinals ended?
I'll post some stuff tomorrow.
ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

QFD:

Participation in season 4:

21 users voted in each match
72aicm
Angel Glez
Armoreska
beavis
clemmetarey
Cocoa
edward5
Fergenaprido
filmbantha
hurluberlu
joachimt
jvv
klaus78
Mario Gaborović
Muellwind
Nathan Treadway
Smoover
weirdboy
zhangalan
zuma
zzzorf
other users who voted at least 50%
burneyfan (17)
Gorro (15)
kingink (15)
sacmersault (15)
pitchorneirda (14)
Traveller (11)
occasional voters
cayado-coro (6)
Mate_cosido (4)
tommy_leazaq (4)
bjornam (3)
blocho (3)
kongs_speech (3)
Melvelet (3)
Mochard (3)
Cinepolis (2)
Lilarcor (2)
maxwelldeux (2)
PeacefulAnarchy (2)
Pgonzalez (2)
sebby (2)
sortile9io (2)
Asberg (1)
mathiasa (1)
RogerTheMovieManiac88 (1)
tarr (1)
wasabi (1)
Most surprising omission in this list: Ritesh
Care to elaborate on that, Ritesh? You make it to the semifinals, yet you don't vote in any match. Don't you like movies? :P
ICM-profile
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

He's like a manager who concentrates on own team ignoring other matches.
Moreover, doesnt even participate in his own.
Perhaps this is the way to victory
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
Ritesh

Post by Ritesh »

Well i wanted to vote in some of the matches atleast mine..

But couldn't find time to watch movies because of work
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Work strikes again.
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

This match is over for a week, right?

Does it still need to be linked at the top of the page?
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

No, I'll remove the link in a minute and change it to the first SF match.
ICM-profile