Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: L'inhumaine, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFB: India vs Greece (Sep 20th), Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

iCM Forum's Favourite Romance Movies; Results

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
cinewest

Re: iCM Forum's Favourite Romance Movies; Results

Post by cinewest » September 2nd, 2020, 7:27 am

Double post blues
Last edited by cinewest on September 2nd, 2020, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » September 2nd, 2020, 8:09 am

cinewest wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 4:04 am
There are a very small number of films on this list that I would call Romances, per se... Films like Titanic, The Notebook, etc., and the reason is because "Romance" is simply to limiting a description.
I honestly don't understand where this comes from. There are plenty of films that focus on the romantic part of relationships. There are indeed often secondary genres, but that's not something unique to romance. Pick something "well-defined" like horror and you can almost always add "Mystery", "Thriller", "Comedy" as a secondary genre.

But most serious film fans aren't going to put Sandler romcoms on their list of course (a genre terribly underrepresented on this list), and more straight-forward romances are regularly considered too mushy. It's not surprising that Drama is the second-most popular side/genre in out list, as cinephilia loves to wallow in sorrow and depression.

Teproc

Post by Teproc » September 2nd, 2020, 8:14 am

Yes, such wallow and depressive films such as *checks notes* Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, City Lights, Amelie... I mean yeah, it is a bit funny the two of the top three are about unfulfilled romances, but you painting with that broad a brush is no better than people saying all romcoms are stupid because they're "mushy". You're just replacing one generalization with another.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » September 2nd, 2020, 10:54 am

I'm not against painting with broad brushes, I'm merely trying to explain why a list like this comes out the way it does on a forum with many hardcore cinephiles.