Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Der Wald vor lauter Bäumen, April nominations (Apr 1st)

ICM Forum's 500<400 2020 Nominations Due 11:59PM GMT Sat Sep 26

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Jay Mars

Post by Jay Mars »

I meant to post this ranked list earlier today, but completely forgot.This list is one of the main reasons I came back! I understand if it is too late to use though.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/dash ... /jay+mars/
Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway »

ckfilm88 wrote: September 26th, 2020, 12:34 pm
Nathan Treadway wrote: September 26th, 2020, 4:20 am
ckfilm88 wrote: September 26th, 2020, 3:36 am My ranked list: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+ ... /ckfilm88/
devinthesky wrote: September 26th, 2020, 3:52 am My List (Ranked): https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/500+ ... vinthesky/

Hello.. Do ya'll know each other? :think:
We've been dating for several years and we like to watch movies together. I understand that it looks shady because everything that's on her list is on my list. I've been following 500>400 every year on ICM and get excited to see what's added each year, but didn't know how to get involved until 2020. I wanted to make a list and thought it would be fun if she also got involved with her own. It was easier for her to go off my list and see what she had seen and change the rankings based on how she thought about the films.

If you don't feel comfortable using our lists feel free to discard them. I know that we're completely brand new to ICMForum as well so I understand that you're probably looking for users that have been active on here for more years.
I really hope you didn't think I was being accusatory with my question. I was mainly curious. In any event, welcome aboard! Looks like Roar is going to see a boost. :lol:
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

LOL Roar, what a crazy film.
musikurt
Donator

Post by musikurt »

Down to the wire...it's been a crazy couple of weeks.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls083268215/

Ranked to 94
95+ unranked
Last edited by musikurt on September 27th, 2020, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Probably a couple more hours before I cut off new entries.
sheikofhyrule

Post by sheikofhyrule »

My ranked list:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/shei ... kofhyrule/

It has been years since I checked my list, so I had to delete a lot, go back through my checks for the past three years to find new ones and came back with 31. I added two to this list because the rest would be in the bottom half, so I will add them to the list, but not in time for the deadline.
musikurt
Donator

Post by musikurt »

I forgot to indicate the ranking on my list when I posted it, so just in case:

Ranked to 94
95+ unranked
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Had to make one minor change. It's now 1-102 ranked, 103-502 unranked.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/502+ ... zzlehatch/
Last edited by OldAle1 on September 28th, 2020, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

musikurt wrote: September 27th, 2020, 4:43 pm Down to the wire...it's been a crazy couple of weeks.

Ranked to 94
95+ unranked
I think I may recognize a theme here .. :shifty:
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Torgo wrote: September 27th, 2020, 5:54 pm
musikurt wrote: September 27th, 2020, 4:43 pm Down to the wire...it's been a crazy couple of weeks.

Ranked to 94
95+ unranked
I think I may recognize a theme here .. :shifty:
Gay cinema FTW! :P

But seriously, fun list. I need to prioritize more of those that I keep putting off, like Private Romeo, Akron, and Bridegroom. I've seen 56 of them and most are either great films or guilty pleasures that everyone should see. Except The Raven. That's in my bottom 5 of all time.

(But it's still kinda sexy) :shifty: tehe

(l)
sheikofhyrule

Post by sheikofhyrule »

sheikofhyrule wrote: September 27th, 2020, 4:52 pm My ranked list:

It has been years since I checked my list, so I had to delete a lot, go back through my checks for the past three years to find new ones and came back with 31. I added two to this list because the rest would be in the bottom half, so I will add them to the list, but not in time for the deadline.
I updated my list during a very, very, very stressful Buffalo Bills game. If it is too late, no problem.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

sheikofhyrule wrote: September 27th, 2020, 8:44 pm
sheikofhyrule wrote: September 27th, 2020, 4:52 pm My ranked list:

I updated my list during a very, very, very stressful Buffalo Bills game. If it is too late, no problem.
Josh Allen will be MVP. I've been making that joke since last year, and it's scary that it could come true. That being said, I watched the last several minutes of that game, and I feel like if I was a Bills fan he would give me a heart attack every minute.
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

:whistling:
OldAle1 wrote: September 27th, 2020, 5:30 pm Had to make one minor change. It's not 1-102 ranked, 103-502 unranked.

I guess by 'not' you mean 'now'? :P
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

According to boolean logic I guess that means 103-502 is ranked, but 1-102 is unranked.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Lammetje wrote: September 28th, 2020, 10:14 am Image

I normally update the header and as you know I hate extensions. :folded:
If PA wants to extend the deadline, he should update the header himself. :tongue:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Soo, about when can we expect the presentation of the results to begin? :sweat: Don't want to miss the show this time!

btw, just noticed that Human (2015), that doc thing, is at just 300 checks. Interesting, I expected it to be in a range of 500-1000 and if not, to be in our poll. Let's see...

I'm positive that one of you stat freaks will make a summary of how many short films and documentaries ("non-narrative") make up our Top 500 and Top 1000. And how many mammoths of 2:20h+ pop up. And and and!
Furthermore interesting - and for this purpose I kind of hope someone will upload the whole thing as an IMDb list in the end ^^ - to see how many films with a lot of IMDb votes will appear. Usually, when I prepare my list contenders and see that they're above 7000 IMDb ratings, I won't even mind since they must have more than 400 checks as well .. usually. Werk ohne Autor (2018) seems like a record-holder to me: 13,800 ratings, yet only 375 checks! :woot: That's the result of being a) non-English, b) in the sweet spot of being released late in 2018, so still eligible for our poll, c) and watched by many people not only in Germany, but Europe (and some from abroad, probably) who regularly rate films on IMDb, but d) not so much use ICM, making it just fall short of 400 votes, hehe.
I'm sometimes surprised to see nominees in our users' lists with American films, released in the 2000s and IMDb data like 6,500 votes and a 7.5 rating and still under 300 checks.

Oh, the stats! :wub:
Last edited by Torgo on September 28th, 2020, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Lammetje wrote: September 28th, 2020, 10:14 am Image

OldAle1 wrote: September 27th, 2020, 5:30 pm Had to make one minor change. It's not 1-102 ranked, 103-502 unranked.

I guess by 'not' you mean 'now'? :P
D'oh. Fixed.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Torgo wrote: September 28th, 2020, 1:15 pm
Furthermore interesting - and for this purpose I kind of hope someone will upload the whole thing as an IMDb list in the end ^^ - to see how many films with a lot of IMDb votes will appear. Usually, when I prepare my list contenders and see that they're above 7000 IMDb ratings, I won't even mind since they must have more than 400 checks as well .. usually. Werk ohne Autor (2018) seems like a record-holder to me: 13,800 ratings, yet only 375 checks! :woot: That's the result of being a) non-English, b) in the sweet spot of being released late in 2018, so still eligible for our poll, c) and watched by many people not only in Germany, but Europe (and some from abroad, probably) who regularly rate films on IMDb, but d) not so much use ICM, making it just fall short of 400 votes, hehe.
I'm sometimes surprised to see nominees in our users' lists with American films, released in the 2000s and IMDb data like 6,500 votes and a 7.5 rating and still under 300 checks.

Oh, the stats! :wub:
Interesting point - and not just about 500<400 but in general. I've always been curious about the ratio of IMDb to ICM films - which films have the highest/lowest ratios, what the average ratio is, etc. Don't know any easy way to get that information though, maybe somebody else does? In any case it's particularly interesting when it comes to this poll of course. Fascinating that Werke ohne Autor would still be below 400 - it actually got commercial release in the USA, I saw it in an AMC theater in fact, and it was nominated for an Oscar for Best Foreign Film, so you'd think there'd be enough interest - plus the director has a previous very well-regarded and pretty famous film (on 19 official lists) so it's not like it came out of nowhere.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

So - has the deadline officially passed to edit your ballot? Just saw a film from Soviet Kyrgyzstan that I wouldn't mind including in my ballot. Given how few other ballots it appears to be in, it probably won't make much difference whether or not I include it this round, but if PA is going to keep things open for another 24 hours or whatever I might as well add it in...
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

I think Werk ohne Author having so few checks is sadly an indication of the declining userbase of ICM more than anything else, I expect to see this sort of discrepancy between IMDb votes and ICM checks more and more really.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Teproc wrote: September 28th, 2020, 1:44 pm I think Werk ohne Author having so few checks is sadly an indication of the declining userbase of ICM more than anything else, I expect to see this sort of discrepancy between IMDb votes and ICM checks more and more really.
I realize we're getting off topic here, but yes, it seems so and I was going to make that point too.
It's even sadder, thinking about it, when you look at recent big streaming titles, for example on Netflix: Enola Homes, released not even a week ago (!), already has 537 checks; Extraction from earlier this year even 1178 checks (which isn't much considering it has a huge 144,000 on IMDb). Even Mulan, released at Disney+ for 30$ (!) has 453 checks.

These numbers are still small compared to they heyday of ICM in 2010 and onward, and it feels like we lose quite a potential of users to sites like Letterboxd, RYM, Criticker (most probably), maybe even Reddit, who we'd need and who'd love us in return.
Sigh!

I gained hope taking a look at 2019's most popular non-blockbusters like Parasite, Midsommar, The Lighthouse and such, Pain & Glory or Portrait of a Lady on Fire. We could still use more people for the smaller films, you know. :folded:
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

I'm really confused about what happened to Meshi in the 2019 edition of 500<400.

Rankings in all editions:
Jan.13 - 237
Sep. 13 - 211
2014 - 262
2015 - 232
2016 - 427
2017 - 151
2018 - 247
2019 - not even in top 1000

I noticed this because I was looking at some lists submitted this year and saw a few people had included Meshi in their list.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I just updated my list, because I added Human. Thanks for the heads up Torgo. Don't know how it slipped through. :(
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

AdamH wrote: September 28th, 2020, 5:12 pm I'm really confused about what happened to Meshi in the 2019 edition of 500<400.

Jan.13 - 237
Sep. 13 - 211
2014 - 262
2015 - 232
2016 - 427
2017 - 151
2018 - 247

I noticed this because I was looking at some lists submitted this year and saw a few people had included Meshi in their list.
Interesting. Now I wish I'd put it in mine for this year - I just saw it recently and it was a contender, but I wanted to keep my list to 500 (and went over by a couple anyway). I think there will be lots of Naruse on the list in any case but that dropoff is a little weird. I presume it's mostly because some of the voters from the previous couple of years neglected to submit lists in 2019.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Torgo wrote: September 28th, 2020, 2:04 pm
Teproc wrote: September 28th, 2020, 1:44 pm I think Werk ohne Author having so few checks is sadly an indication of the declining userbase of ICM more than anything else, I expect to see this sort of discrepancy between IMDb votes and ICM checks more and more really.
I realize we're getting off topic here, but yes, it seems so and I was going to make that point too.
It's even sadder, thinking about it, when you look at recent big streaming titles, for example on Netflix: Enola Homes, released not even a week ago (!), already has 537 checks; Extraction from earlier this year even 1178 checks (which isn't much considering it has a huge 144,000 on IMDb). Even Mulan, released at Disney+ for 30$ (!) has 453 checks.

These numbers are still small compared to they heyday of ICM in 2010 and onward, and it feels like we lose quite a potential of users to sites like Letterboxd, RYM, Criticker (most probably), maybe even Reddit, who we'd need and who'd love us in return.
Sigh!

I gained hope taking a look at 2019's most popular non-blockbusters like Parasite, Midsommar, The Lighthouse and such, Pain & Glory or Portrait of a Lady on Fire. We could still use more people for the smaller films, you know. :folded:
I think that's a concern moving forward as we could end up with many recent films making the list. I wonder if people would consider making it so films from the year of the list and the previous two years (instead of one) are ineligible? 400 checks now is less obscure than it was when we started this (particularly for more recent films) due to the decline in the userbase. I'd also love to see some stats on active users year by year on iCM but I'm sure we'll not get to see that obviously.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

OldAle1 wrote: September 28th, 2020, 5:32 pm
AdamH wrote: September 28th, 2020, 5:12 pm I'm really confused about what happened to Meshi in the 2019 edition of 500<400.

Jan.13 - 237
Sep. 13 - 211
2014 - 262
2015 - 232
2016 - 427
2017 - 151
2018 - 247

Interesting. Now I wish I'd put it in mine for this year - I just saw it recently and it was a contender, but I wanted to keep my list to 500 (and went over by a couple anyway). I think there will be lots of Naruse on the list in any case but that dropoff is a little weird. I presume it's mostly because some of the voters from the previous couple of years neglected to submit lists in 2019.
One of them was me as 2019 is the only time I haven't submitted a list but it still seems strange for it to have dropped 753 places+ having been in the list every single year until then.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

This sounds most likely.

As I understand it, we have the most list contributions here in a long time? With many new or previously inactive users? This could be exciting :party:

[edit]I'm totally with you AdamH regarding a two-year suspension for eligible films. I certainly realized how many 2018, 2017, maybe 2016 titles popped up in my filtered IMDb search and also knew how many would be gone in a year or two again, but didn't feel convinced enough to remove them. Instead of "remove all/most of them when in doubt" I rooted for "ah damn, after letting so many new titles in, I will just take them all regardless of release year." :ermm:

It's just that recent films often have 0 lists so far because of ICM clearly being skewed towards older films in many, many lists; when nominating my picks I often found myself thinking "It would be cool if this becomes an official check, fingers crossed". Often enough it's not really "all-time hidden gem"-worthy. Hm.

So, yeah, make it 2 years.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Torgo wrote: September 28th, 2020, 5:36 pm
This sounds most likely.

As I understand it, we have the most list contributions here in a long time? With many new or previously inactive users? This could be exciting :party:

[edit]I'm totally with you AdamH regarding a two-year suspension for eligible films. I certainly realized how many 2018, 2017, maybe 2016 titles popped up in my filtered IMDb search and also knew how many would be gone in a year or two again, but didn't feel convinced enough to remove them. Instead of "remove all/most of them when in doubt" I rooted for "ah damn, after letting so many new titles in, I will just take them all regardless of release year." :ermm:

It's just that recent films often have 0 lists so far because of ICM clearly being skewed towards older films in many, many lists; when nominating my picks I often found myself thinking "It would be cool if this becomes an official check, fingers crossed". Often enough it's not really "all-time hidden gem"-worthy. Hm.

I made stats for lists a while ago although I haven't added the 2013 lists in yet so it's not entirely accurate. We've returned to 2016/17 levels of lists (in the 140s). I think that's roughly when I stopped messaging people. Massive difference now is I only messaged active people this year instead of inactive people like I used to so any people randomly showing up to post a list after months/years of inactivity came because they decided to log in or someone else contact them but not because of me e.g. Kasparius, Quartoxuma and TalkingElvish.

I make it 11 first-time lists this year out of around 141 lists overall (I might have missed one or two from the overall count).

100 people out of 118 from last year submitted again this year with with 30 (including me) returning after an absence. Jay Mars, TalkingElvish, YUME and Quartoxuma even returning after an absence of 5 or 6 years.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Ok, curiosity got the better of me and I got my answer to what happened to Meshi.

2018 voters:
brokenface (28)
beavis (34)
Renegade (NA)
Hunziker (NA)
ororama (71)
AdamH (81)

zuma (87)
klaus78 (118)
sushantv10 (118)
bjornam (211)
joachimt (318)
XxXApathy420XxX (519)

Looks like the film was very unlikely as 5 of the top 6 (including the two unranked lists) didn't vote again in 2019.
TalkingElvish

Post by TalkingElvish »

AdamH wrote: September 28th, 2020, 5:54 pm
Torgo wrote: September 28th, 2020, 5:36 pm

This sounds most likely.

I made stats for lists a while ago although I haven't added the 2013 lists in yet so it's not entirely accurate. We've returned to 2016/17 levels of lists (in the 140s). I think that's roughly when I stopped messaging people. Massive difference now is I only messaged active people this year instead of inactive people like I used to so any people randomly showing up to post a list after months/years of inactivity came because they decided to log in or someone else contact them but not because of me e.g. Kasparius, Quartoxuma and TalkingElvish.

I make it 11 first-time lists this year out of around 141 lists overall (I might have missed one or two from the overall count).

100 people out of 118 from last year submitted again this year with with 30 (including me) returning after an absence. Jay Mars, TalkingElvish, YUME and Quartoxuma even returning after an absence of 5 or 6 years.
Very keen to see what makes the cut this year. Thank you so much for making it happen AdamH, and apologies for not mentioning you in my first post back given all you've done to keep this place happening.
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

Added one new film (White Mountains) at #196. Probably won't make that much of a difference, so don't worry if the deadline has already passed to submit updates, but in case voting is still open, this is my updated list:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/415+ ... ties/sol-/
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image
PeacefulAnarchy

Should be able to start posting results on Wed.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

:thumbsup: Excellent, Peaceful!

btw ..
Torgo wrote: September 28th, 2020, 5:36 pm [edit]I'm totally with you AdamH regarding a two-year suspension for eligible films. I certainly realized how many 2018, 2017, maybe 2016 titles popped up in my filtered IMDb search and also knew how many would be gone in a year or two again, but didn't feel convinced enough to remove them. Instead of "remove all/most of them when in doubt" I rooted for "ah damn, after letting so many new titles in, I will just take them all regardless of release year." :ermm:

Having looked at the current <400 list, sorted by year, I have to admit I notice no danger of recently released titles flooding our results at all. Actually, scrolling through the list chronologically, it's one of the most perfectly distributed lists I've ever seen, just growing in the 50s, being fairly packed in the 60s, then getting pretty even again; that's quite cool for a completely randomly voted list!
The only noticeable fact about newer titles - and yes, 2017 had a few more, but not problematically so - is that so many of the 2010s entries are documentaries, at least in proportion. They're pretty popular among you forum folks and are even more neglected by the common crowd resulting in less (than 400) checks. It doesn't look too off until now.

So, yeah: increasing the yearly cut-off by one is reasonable and won't hurt our nomination process, perhaps even simplify it (!) - but the current state of our list doesn't seem to force us yet.
You voters are just too diversified and all-considering. :hug:

(Let's see how it turns out for this very poll with a voter record and many new or returned users .. :whistling: )
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: September 29th, 2020, 1:56 am Should be able to start posting results on Wed.
btw, of course: already thanking you in advance for your work on this, can't wait to see RESULTS! :circle: .. :sweat:
These threads used to be a lot of fun and I really appreciate it, now as much as 5 years ago. :thumbsup:
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: September 29th, 2020, 1:56 am Should be able to start posting results on Wed.
So, to be clear, has the deadline passed for us editing our ballots or can we keep editing them until a certain time on Wednesday?

Just found another great Soviet film that I'd be keen on including in my list, but I can save it until next year's update.
Image Image Image
PeacefulAnarchy

You can probably keep updating for 12 to 16 hours, but you do so at your own risk now. Definitely not until Wednesday (well, maybe for you since you're in Australia)
sol
Donator

Post by sol »

No probs. :thumbsup: At my own risk. Love the sound of that. tehe

List updated with Veld at #318: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/415+ ... ties/sol-/
Image Image Image
rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 »

Le vieil homme et l'enfant (1967) gained around 10 checks in a week and is now at 400 checks. Has it been featured by the Criterion channel or something?
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

pitchorneirda wrote: August 13th, 2020, 10:25 pm pitchorneirda https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/pitc ... horneirda/

Group: 1-7
Group: 8-41
Group: 42-103
I noticed that Mayis Sikintisi reached 400 checks this week, so I replaced it with Duze zwierze at the exact same spot so that my group rankings don't change. I would understand if this wasn't taken into account but I thought it would be less painful to you this way PA
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard