Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: Durak, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

iCM Forum's Favourite Romance Movies; Nominations

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Onderhond

Re: iCM Forum's Favourite Romance Movies; Nominations

Post by Onderhond » August 11th, 2020, 5:35 pm

cinewest wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 5:32 pm
Onderhond wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 5:27 pm
Too limiting for who? For you?
I speak for myself. Who do you speak for?
For everyone who actually looks at the results for tips.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » August 11th, 2020, 5:53 pm

Onderhond wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 5:35 pm
cinewest wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 5:32 pm
Onderhond wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 5:27 pm
Too limiting for who? For you?
I speak for myself. Who do you speak for?
For everyone who actually looks at the results for tips.
I don't believe that everyone participating in this poll has your same narrow ideas. In fact, there is proof of that in some of the more interesting lists I have looked at.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 11th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Well yes, that's what I'm afraid of. No doubt half the list will be depressing dramas relating to love and relationship woes.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 11th, 2020, 7:19 pm

Isn't that what a lot of, if not most people find romantic? Stories that are at least somewhat bittersweet?

If you want tips for romantic movies that specifically have happy endings, that sounds like a very specific request you should make in your own thread, no? Why get frustrated at users for submitting their lists of their favorite romance movies on a thread which asks users for their favorite romance movies?

Peter...is your social worker in that horse?

cinewest

Post by cinewest » August 12th, 2020, 2:25 pm

So I've come up with a solution to my quandary, at least this time around. Working with the issues of my initial post above, I have decided to cull a list of films where there is at least a romantic element or period to the film, but where there is more than the romantic fluff of musicals and romantic comedies. I chose none of them, even though I like quite a few for reasons other than their ability to conjure up romance. No films like Amour, or Last Tango in Paris, either, even though I think they delve quite a bit into aspects of love relationships but aren't really "romantic."
Since this is my first list of this kind, I'm sure I have left out quite a few that I will add later, but I still have 80 very list worthy films in this area, and am in the process of ranking the middle portion of the list, which is no easy task.
Last edited by cinewest on August 13th, 2020, 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 12th, 2020, 6:55 pm

I'm going to watch half a dozen more films before I make my list, but I won't submit a last minute ballot like I usually do, since it's a theme I like, but don't necessarily love (aside from screwball romcoms... love those), so I won't be trying to cram in as many films as possible before submitting.

For me, "romance" films include not just falling in love, but also falling out of love and everything in between. I haven't seen Amour (and probably won't before the poll), but from everything I've heard about it it sounds like it would qualify as romance for me; taking care of a loved one as they slowly slip away and die does indeed sound depressing, but the devotion and tenderness required is still deeply romantic to me. Different strokes for different folks :shrug: (literally and figuratively ;) ).

Looking at my favorited films that I've tagged as "romance" (either copying imdb or adding it myself), I've got 42 on file. The bold ones I will definitely include in my ballot; the italicized ones have romantic elements, but I'm either unsure if the romance is central enough to the storyline for me to include it, or I'm a bit foggy on remembering the film. The strikethroughs I won't include, and I'm wondering why I've tagged it as romance in the first place. :think:

SpoilerShow
Amélie
Brokeback Mountain

Sound of Music
Weekend
Way He Looks

Moonlight Mile
Moulin Rouge
Summer Storm
Broken Circle Breakdown

Frida
Secret in Their Eyes

About a Boy
Forrest Gump
Beauty and the Beast
Shelter

Giant Little Ones
Some Like It Hot
Little Mermaid: I

Aladdin: I
WALL-E
Pariah

Love, Simon
Sing Street
Café de Flore
Sweet Home Alabama

Scott Pilgrim versus the World
Goodbye Lenin
Shaun of the Dead

Heartstone
Lady Bird
Torch Song Trilogy
Normal Heart
Cranes Are Flying
Slumdog Millionaire
Atonement

Romeo and Juliet
Charlie Bartlett
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Very Long Engagement

Broken Hearts Club
Lost and Delirious

Some of the borderline cases are more teen coming of age dramas than romances (Lady Bird, Giant Little Ones, Sing Street), have a romance in it that I don't quite remember being the focus of the film (Charlie Bartlett, Cranes Are Flying, Slumdog Millionaire), have romance as a MacGuffin that drives the plot but may or may not be that important (Scott Pilgrim, Avatar), or have strong and important romantic elements but there is so much going on they kind of get lost in the shuffle (Sound of Music, Frida, Aladdin).

cinewest

Post by cinewest » August 13th, 2020, 3:04 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 6:55 pm
I'm going to watch half a dozen more films before I make my list, but I won't submit a last minute ballot like I usually do, since it's a theme I like, but don't necessarily love (aside from screwball romcoms... love those), so I won't be trying to cram in as many films as possible before submitting.

For me, "romance" films include not just falling in love, but also falling out of love and everything in between. I haven't seen Amour (and probably won't before the poll), but from everything I've heard about it it sounds like it would qualify as romance for me; taking care of a loved one as they slowly slip away and die does indeed sound depressing, but the devotion and tenderness required is still deeply romantic to me. Different strokes for different folks :shrug: (literally and figuratively ;) ).

Looking at my favorited films that I've tagged as "romance" (either copying imdb or adding it myself), I've got 42 on file. The bold ones I will definitely include in my ballot; the italicized ones have romantic elements, but I'm either unsure if the romance is central enough to the storyline for me to include it, or I'm a bit foggy on remembering the film. The strikethroughs I won't include, and I'm wondering why I've tagged it as romance in the first place. :think:

SpoilerShow
Amélie
Brokeback Mountain

Sound of Music
Weekend
Way He Looks

Moonlight Mile
Moulin Rouge
Summer Storm
Broken Circle Breakdown

Frida
Secret in Their Eyes

About a Boy
Forrest Gump
Beauty and the Beast
Shelter

Giant Little Ones
Some Like It Hot

WALL-E
Pariah

Love, Simon
Sing Street
Café de Flore
Sweet Home Alabama

Goodbye Lenin
Shaun of the Dead

Heartstone
Lady Bird
Torch Song Trilogy
Normal Heart
Cranes Are Flying
Slumdog Millionaire
Atonement

Romeo and Juliet
Charlie Bartlett
Very Long Engagement

Broken Hearts Club
Lost and Delirious

Some of the borderline cases are more teen coming of age dramas than romances (Lady Bird, Giant Little Ones, Sing Street), have a romance in it that I don't quite remember being the focus of the film (Charlie Bartlett, Cranes Are Flying, Slumdog Millionaire), have romance as a MacGuffin that drives the plot but may or may not be that important (Scott Pilgrim, Avatar), or have strong and important romantic elements but there is so much going on they kind of get lost in the shuffle (Sound of Music, Frida, Aladdin).
Yes, it all comes down to what conjures up "romance" for each of us.

As I said, I like a lot of Musicals, and Rom Coms., as well as movies that delve into the complexities of love and relationships, but I chose a couple of requirements this time for my list:

1) Does the film involve a romantic element?

2) Does it stir romantic feelings in me?

And, for me, these to questions eliminated about half the films I had on my original list, even though I have seen many of them on "best romance" lists both here and among film critics, like this one, which is pretty good: https://theplaylist.net/50-best-romanti ... 0170214/4/

cinewest

Post by cinewest » August 13th, 2020, 10:59 am

I will probably make some changes (order, substitutions) before the final deadline, as I am not completely satisfied. I basically tried to order the films within their rating, but realized that in terms of "romance" some of the films with lower score overall, are better in terms of that limitation.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls087972454/

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » August 13th, 2020, 11:09 am

cinewest wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 3:04 am
Fergenaprido wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 6:55 pm

SpoilerShow
Amélie
Brokeback Mountain

Sound of Music
Weekend
Way He Looks

Moonlight Mile
Moulin Rouge
Summer Storm
Broken Circle Breakdown

Frida
Secret in Their Eyes

About a Boy
Forrest Gump
Beauty and the Beast
Shelter

Giant Little Ones
Some Like It Hot

WALL-E
Pariah

Love, Simon
Sing Street
Café de Flore
Sweet Home Alabama

Goodbye Lenin
Shaun of the Dead

Heartstone
Lady Bird
Torch Song Trilogy
Normal Heart
Cranes Are Flying
Slumdog Millionaire
Atonement

Romeo and Juliet
Charlie Bartlett
Very Long Engagement

Broken Hearts Club
Lost and Delirious

Yes, it all comes down to what conjures up "romance" for each of us.

As I said, I like a lot of Musicals, and Rom Coms., as well as movies that delve into the complexities of love and relationships, but I chose a couple of requirements this time for my list:

1) Does the film involve a romantic element?

2) Does it stir romantic feelings in me?

And, for me, these to questions eliminated about half the films I had on my original list, even though I have seen many of them on "best romance" lists both here and among film critics, like this one, which is pretty good: https://theplaylist.net/50-best-romanti ... 0170214/4/
That’s a great way to think about it and the way I’m going to approach my list making also.

F.e. Amour does stir a romantic feeling in me, even despite it depressing subject, cause it makes me wish that when I’m old I’m also in such a loving deep relationship. But a movie like Scenes from a marriage doesn’t, that to me is more a drama about relationships.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 13th, 2020, 11:26 am

This was really hard ugh https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/migh ... htysparks/

I actually had a list I last updated in 2015, so I used that as a guide--and what others had voted for to double check a few films. Getting depressed definitely killed my love for the cute, giggly schoolgirl things and also of course getting into my first relationship has probably changed my perspective, but I haven't seen a lot of these films in a long time. The ranking, and inclusions, are based mostly on romantic aspects being central to the film and the reason that I love it.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

cinewest

Post by cinewest » August 13th, 2020, 2:29 pm

@lonewolf2003

I had Amour pretty high up on my list until I removed it because, while I think it is a great movie about love (which stirs those feelings) and the relationship of an elderly couple in a life threatening circumstance, I don't really think of it as a "romance," if only because the "falling in love" or "romantic" part is missing. Some of the movies on my list also end sadly or badly, but they also contain a segment that pays tribute to romance in an uplifting sense.

At least this is how I am seeing things at the moment, and admit that even with the criteria I am using, interpreting and applying it isn't an easy or sure thing.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 13th, 2020, 3:41 pm

I'm hesitating to submit a list. Not sure where to start. I don't want to use the romance-filter on IMDb on this one.

I'm with cinewest on Amour. There's a difference between "love" and "romance". If I'm going to make a list for this poll, I will select movies that arouse romantic feeling in me, where I feel like sobbing like a teenage girl or something like that. I think I'm not going to rank them at greatness as a movie, but more how much it arouses those romantic feelings in me in a good way. So Amour won't be on it. Serendipity certainly will be high on the list, although I think Amour is a better movie.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 13th, 2020, 4:03 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 3:41 pm
There's a difference between "love" and "romance".
I do think that in Dutch, we may have a more distinct vocabulary to distinguish between the two. There's "liefde" (the deeper kind) and "verliefheid" (the butterflies - but more than a crush), which are two somewhat separate things and where one morphs into the other over time. In English there's love and being in love, but that's not quite as clear/obvious.
While I think it is a great movie about love (which stirs those feelings) and the relationship of an elderly couple in a life threatening circumstance, I don't really think of it as a "romance," if only because the "falling in love" or "romantic" part is missing. Some of the movies on my list also end sadly or badly, but they also contain a segment that pays tribute to romance in an uplifting sense.
Sounds like a very fair assessment. To be clear, I don't have a problem with films that have a "bad ending" or try for a more serious/realistic route, as long as there's some stuff commonly understood as "romance" driving the film.

prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson » August 13th, 2020, 6:06 pm

Onderhond wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 2:38 pm
Just consider it a courtesy to genre fans to not include a bunch of films that are tangible related to the subject just so you can push a bunch of films you like? Not that most others will, it's the main reason most genre lists are rather useless.
Ooh well put, I've certainly been guilty of this in the past.

lineuphere

Post by lineuphere » August 14th, 2020, 2:40 am

Onderhond wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 4:03 pm
joachimt wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 3:41 pm
There's a difference between "love" and "romance".
I do think that in Dutch, we may have a more distinct vocabulary to distinguish between the two. There's "liefde" (the deeper kind) and "verliefheid" (the butterflies - but more than a crush), which are two somewhat separate things and where one morphs into the other over time. In English there's love and being in love, but that's not quite as clear/obvious.
While I think it is a great movie about love (which stirs those feelings) and the relationship of an elderly couple in a life threatening circumstance, I don't really think of it as a "romance," if only because the "falling in love" or "romantic" part is missing. Some of the movies on my list also end sadly or badly, but they also contain a segment that pays tribute to romance in an uplifting sense.
Sounds like a very fair assessment. To be clear, I don't have a problem with films that have a "bad ending" or try for a more serious/realistic route, as long as there's some stuff commonly understood as "romance" driving the film.
All great points. I think the big conundrum here for most all of us is the word "romance" and the film genre, "Romance." IMDB uses the word "Romance" to categorize a genre that includes both movies about love, and being in-love. E.g., they use the word "Romance" as a label for both "Amour" and "The Hottie & the Nottie." They probably should've used the word "Love" as a genre since it's more apt, but because they didn't, we're stuck being challenged about what a "Romance" film is.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » August 14th, 2020, 4:03 am

@lineuphere,

Yes, I have been wrestling with this issue since the poll was announced, and finally came upon my own way of conceiving "romance" (discussed above) for this exercise, at least this time around.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 14th, 2020, 5:54 am

lineuphere wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 2:40 am
All great points. I think the big conundrum here for most all of us is the word "romance" and the film genre, "Romance." IMDB uses the word "Romance" to categorize a genre that includes both movies about love, and being in-love. E.g., they use the word "Romance" as a label for both "Amour" and "The Hottie & the Nottie." They probably should've used the word "Love" as a genre since it's more apt, but because they didn't, we're stuck being challenged about what a "Romance" film is.
I think introducing primary and secondary genres (where the secondary genres work more like modifier on the primary genre) would solve a lot, then again they probably figured it wasn't even worth the discussion. I actually find Drama/Romance acceptable for Amour, because Drama can mean many things and adding Romance pushes it into a clearer direction for people uncertain what they're going to be seeing.

IMDb is also incredibly trigger happy when it comes to adding genres though. You can have a 100% normal horror creature flick, but when someone at the end mention the creature comes from outer space they'll slap on Sci-fi without a second thought. I guess they stopped caring simply to get rid of the endless change requests by users.

For genre lists though, I think it would be really nice if people could focus on primary genres mostly.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 14th, 2020, 6:44 pm

If people think movies about love like "Amour" deserve to be on this list, you should watch Les dernières fiançailles. Heartbreaking ending.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 15th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Making a list for this is exhausting. Since I don't want to rely on IMDb-genretag, I ended up selecting all my 8-10's from IMDb and go through them one by one and remove the ones that are not romance enough (or at all) for me. I did remove some batches based on some tags, but a lot are done manually. Because I don't remember a lot of titles I have to check them on IMDb to see which movie something actually was.

How do others do this?
ICM-profile

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » August 15th, 2020, 1:39 pm

IMDb tags are obviously flawed but I already removed lots of movies with the Romance tag. I figured that if a lot of the tagged ones aren't romantic enough, the untagged ones will usually not meet the romance cutoff. If you go through your progress so far, are there a lot of movies that you want to keep that don't have the Romance tag?

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 15th, 2020, 1:59 pm

Melvelet wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 1:39 pm
If you go through your progress so far, are there a lot of movies that you want to keep that don't have the Romance tag?
I've selected these movies without a romance-tag:
Abre los ojos
Les roseaux sauvages
Höhenfeuer
Oi voskoi
Zabriskie Point
Le soupirant
Une femme mariée: Suite de fragments d'un film tourné en 1964
Závrat
Dorogoy tsenoy
Calle Mayor
Oyû-sama
You Only Live Once
Maybe I will remove some in the end, but for now they seem romantic enough to me.
ICM-profile

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 15th, 2020, 4:55 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 1:20 pm
Making a list for this is exhausting. Since I don't want to rely on IMDb-genretag, I ended up selecting all my 8-10's from IMDb and go through them one by one and remove the ones that are not romance enough (or at all) for me. I did remove some batches based on some tags, but a lot are done manually. Because I don't remember a lot of titles I have to check them on IMDb to see which movie something actually was.

How do others do this?
I have genres and themes listed in my spreadsheet, so I don't have to rely on imdb for those. I just take my list of ranked films and filter out the ones that have romance. Then I'll remove some that aren't "romantic" enough, and that'll be my list.

Of the ones you mentioned that I've seen, I think Wild Reeds, Alpine Fire, and You Only Live One all fit the romance tag to some degree, and both might make my ballot.
Didn't like Calle mayor, Oi voskoi, or Dorogoy tsenoy, but agree they're all romance to some degree as well.

If I saw any of the six on the final list, I don't think I'd see anything amiss, even if some of them won't get my vote (for lack of enjoying it or for lack of enough romance).

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 15th, 2020, 5:21 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 4:55 pm
I have genres and themes listed in my spreadsheet, so I don't have to rely on imdb for those.
Same here, when I add films to my own site I can tweak the genres. Not everything is up to date (I did a big import of about 8000 films two years ago that I didn't clean up one by one), but for almost all my favorites the genres are pretty much in order. After that it was enough enough to filter out the ones where romance was only a distant 2nd.

Gordon_Gekko

Post by Gordon_Gekko » August 21st, 2020, 1:26 pm

Very difficult... so the list is still in process:

Ranked
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls081674348/

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » August 22nd, 2020, 6:43 am

Putting mine up now so I don't forget to later. Mine is ranked as per my Flickchart as per usual so their is the odd movie I don't think fits but I guess they will just work their way out in the final rankings so it should be fine. I plan for a top 250 but if I don't get there at least my top ones will still count.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/my+t ... es/zzzorf/

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » August 23rd, 2020, 9:25 pm

I updated the OP. Please check if your list is stated, ordered and linked correctly.
I count 28 participants so far. Could someone verify that number?

Opio

Post by Opio » August 24th, 2020, 1:10 am

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 9:25 pm
I updated the OP. Please check if your list is stated, ordered and linked correctly.
I get 29, which is what is in the OP, so looks good.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » August 24th, 2020, 8:33 am

Opio wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 1:10 am
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 9:25 pm
I get 29, which is what is in the OP, so looks good.
Thanks.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 24th, 2020, 5:42 pm

I didn't enjoy making this list.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls081278190/

1-6 ranked
rest unranked
ICM-profile

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » August 25th, 2020, 10:34 am

joachimt wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 5:42 pm

You didn't fall in love with making it? ;)

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 25th, 2020, 10:40 am

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 10:34 am
joachimt wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 5:42 pm

You didn't fall in love with making it? ;)
I think I want a divorce.
ICM-profile

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 25th, 2020, 2:09 pm

Agree with many others - this WAS a particularly hard list to do. For me it was more difficult than usual to integrate the two competing ways of thinking about this - "what are my favorite films with romantic elements" and "what are the most romantic films" into a coherent list that I can be happy with. For whatever reason lots of other genres - science fiction, western, horror, noir, etc - don't present the same kinds of issues for me, perhaps because "romance" isn't really a discrete concept in storytelling, setting, or anything else in the same way. Also there are LOADS of films not listed as "romance" by IMDb and perhaps not conventionally thought of as such that totally belong IMO - just thought of one a moment ago and had to put it in there - Dark Passage, surely one of the most romantic of classic noir-dom, and the best-ever portrait of Bogie and Bacall as a couple on film if you ask me.

At any rate here it is - top 65 ranked in order, the rest chronologically listed as usual for me. No prizes for guessing my #1 -

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls087236705/

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 25th, 2020, 2:40 pm

At least one thing was easy on your list, Oldale. You probably didn't have to think very long which movie would be on top. :thumbsup:
ICM-profile

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 25th, 2020, 2:47 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 2:40 pm
At least one thing was easy on your list, Oldale. You probably didn't have to think very long which movie would be on top. :thumbsup:
Yeah but literally every movie below it was tough to place. Well, at least now I have a list. The only big genre list I don't have that I actually want to do yet is action.