Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: Durak, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

iCM Forum's Favourite Romance Movies; Nominations

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Lonewolf2003
Donator

iCM Forum's Favourite Romance Movies; Nominations

Post by Lonewolf2003 » August 4th, 2020, 4:23 pm

(l) iCM Forum's Favorite Romance Movies (l)
Nominations

In this time of social distancing and increasing polorizations, we all can use a little more love. So it's time to chose our favorite Romance movies.

There are no set rules for which movies are admissible and which are not. But this poll is for Romance movies, so I implore everyone to only include movie in which Romance is (one of) the major theme(s). And not one of those countless movies that have an obligatory romantic subplot to please (a part of) the target audience. (But hey if you think that the love story between Harry Potter and Cho Chang in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix belongs in the list, I won't stop you.) So if you feel a movie fits the genre (and is good enough of course to include in your list) than you can include it. When in doubt about a movie I'm sure there are users who can help you. But I will keep the right to remove movies from the final list or to disqualify whole lists after consultation with others here, when people stretch the definition too much.

Some help:
Romance movies you rated on IMDb

DEALINE = 28 AUGUST 2020
  • Shorts, mini-series and TV-episodes from anthology series where the episodes are unrelated, are allowed. Tv-series aren't allowed.*
    *IMDb will be leading in this, but if you have good arguments exceptions to the rule can be made in consultation
  • Imdb-lists or iCM-lists are accepted. (If you can't make one of those, ask another user to help you out.)
  • Lists can be any length.
  • Each nominee can only be named once (of course)
  • Lists can be ranked or unranked or partially-ranked. In a partially-ranked list, the top X films are ranked and everything after that point is unranked. When not specified I will consider a list as ranked.
Half-life and list lenght are TBD.
Please check if your list is stated, ordered and linked correctly. And is set to public. For iCM lists you can also set it to "Friends" and befriend me.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on August 29th, 2020, 4:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 4th, 2020, 5:52 pm

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/best ... onderhond/ (all ranked)
Extracted from y own top 625, though cleaned up a couple of films which I felt didn't really fit the genre description.

My tip: Zoe by Drake Doremus
Because I'm pretty surprised Doremus doesn't seem to be very known around here. Maybe a little too modern for some, but the man is clearly talented and has made some good films throughout they past decade. My short review: Romance and sci-fi are rarely a good combination, but Drake Doremus is clearly gifted and he succeeds where many have failed before. Zoe is above all a wonderful romantic drama, but with some thoughtful sci-fi themes embedded and presented with the proper flair. Both smart and touching, a rarity indeed.

beasterne

Post by beasterne » August 4th, 2020, 6:34 pm

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/favo ... beasterne/

Ranked, but I'll be shuffling things around a lot before the deadline.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » August 4th, 2020, 7:13 pm

I'm debating what to do with my list here. Do I either ...
1) Include my favorite movies in which romance is a major theme, regardless of whether the romance theme is why the movie is a favorite
or
2) Include only movies which are a favorite because of the romance theme

Here's an example: I love Groundhog Day, but I don't love it because of the romantic relationship in the plot. I love it because it's a great scenario and very witty and Bill Murray is in peak form.

Obviously, the first option would lead to a very long list. I think the second option might give me a list of about 50-75 movies.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 4th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Option 2! People seek out romance lists to see good romances.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 4th, 2020, 9:12 pm

I say option 2 as well. Quality over quantity. ;)

Here is my ranked list.

I personally decided to structure my list simply as the most romantic films ever, to the point of excluding romance films I think are amazing but just not very romantic (for example Ryan's Daughter and Christopher Jones' wooden-ass performance). Granted this is not necessarily what was asked for ("Favorite romance movies").

Random tidbit: films IMDb tags as "Romance" :
All About Lily Chou-Chou :huh:
Bastards :worship:
Last edited by outdoorcats on August 5th, 2020, 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peter...is your social worker in that horse?

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » August 4th, 2020, 9:46 pm

Yeah I'm probably going to go mostly option 2. Groundhog Day would be iffy in that context, but it's also not like it needs more attention; I'm more willing to be lenient on the "is it primarily a romance?" question if it's a less-known film.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » August 4th, 2020, 9:58 pm

I would also go for option 2. I always make genre lists, based on how much I favorite it because of the genre aspect.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » August 5th, 2020, 7:52 am

We do not have to understand new things, but by dint of patience, effort and method to come to understand with our whole self the truths which are evident.Image
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 5th, 2020, 5:36 pm

Hard Candy? You didn't... tehe :poshclap:

I'm curious if anyone wants to answer, if they structured their list the way I did, what would they put as the most romantic films of all time? (as opposed to "Best/Favorite Romance") Just off the top of your heads (and "romantic" however you want to define it--happy, bittersweet, tragic, disturbing, you do you).

Peter...is your social worker in that horse?

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » August 5th, 2020, 6:35 pm

I really like Perception's list here, it pushes me to think more critically of what romance is in films.

Personally I am really struggling with films such as the third film in the Before trilogy, Scenes from a Marriage and Amour. Although I have "sad" romances in my list right now, for these three films and others I feel more moved and connected to the human tragedy rather than to the "romance", if that makes sense. Or perhaps I just need to see a bit more happy lovey dovey stuff within the film before we delve deep into the sad parts for the label of "romance movies" to fit, for me.

A start, I guess, will definitely have to think more:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/roma ... /lilarcor/

I'm sad to see that Brideshead Revisited has dropped off the TV miniseries list, it used to be high up on it! Also sad that the easily accesible version of The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg out there has such potato quality. Ramon Novarro's and Norma Shearer's electric and joyful chemistry in that film needs to be seen in the highest quality possible!

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » August 5th, 2020, 7:41 pm

Lilarcor wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 6:35 pm
A start, I guess, will definitely have to think more:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/roma ... /lilarcor/
I love that you put Mahanagar first. :cheers:

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » August 6th, 2020, 12:03 am

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls087403871/ (ranked)

Just started putting this together today, so I’ll work on it and add some more titles before the deadline.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 7th, 2020, 7:53 am

Caracortada wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 7:34 am
My list of 69:
Wrong genre? :think:

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » August 7th, 2020, 12:23 pm

Onderhond wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 7:53 am
Caracortada wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 7:34 am
My list of 69:
Wrong genre? :think:
Not if you're the user 3rd, heh. I'm sure his "Romance" list would be...interesting, lol.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

mathiasa

Post by mathiasa » August 7th, 2020, 8:53 pm

RANKED: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/bad+ ... /mathiasa/

Had much fun adding the 10/10 and 9/9 votes, with the 8/10 it became a bit cumbersome, I also looked more closely, if romance the reason I loved the movie, because I didn't remember a lot of them. I had a brief overlook over the 7/10 and added about three or four of them.

I have to say I love this genre.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » August 7th, 2020, 9:09 pm

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 7th, 2020, 9:21 pm

mathiasa wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 8:53 pm
I've never had to sleep on the couch, but if my girlfriend asked me to find a good romance flick and I'd put on Amour I'm sure it would be the first time :ph43r:

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » August 10th, 2020, 12:05 am

Onderhond wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 9:21 pm
mathiasa wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 8:53 pm
I've never had to sleep on the couch, but if my girlfriend asked me to find a good romance flick and I'd put on Amour I'm sure it would be the first time :ph43r:
That's... hilarious. :cheers:

For entirely different reasons, I also never want to watch Amour with my wife, but it's one of the most profound love stories out there, IMHO.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » August 10th, 2020, 2:06 am

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls087234550/
unranked

I really struggled with this one. I decided to only include movies I thought were great primarily because of the romance they depicted. So I ended up leaving out movies I really love like Groundhog Day and His Girl Friday and many, many others because I thought their appeal was most related to non-romantic elements.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 10th, 2020, 1:29 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 12:05 am
For entirely different reasons, I also never want to watch Amour with my wife, but it's one of the most profound love stories out there, IMHO.
Definitely a film about love and relationships, but I wouldn't say it has a lot to do with romance.

lineuphere

Post by lineuphere » August 10th, 2020, 3:37 pm

Onderhond wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 1:29 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 12:05 am
Definitely a film about love and relationships, but I wouldn't say it has a lot to do with romance.
I suppose if your definition of romance is two attractive twenty or thirty-somethings making love and then trying to figure out how to make it all work, then no, Amour is not that.

I think for some of us older folk though, romance evolves into something much deeper and Amour nails that interpretation.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 10th, 2020, 3:41 pm

I don't think it's an age thing, rather the lighter, happier, exciting part of love. Amour isn't that.

Jimi Antiloop

Post by Jimi Antiloop » August 10th, 2020, 7:44 pm

:ICM: :letbxd: :Crtiticker: Reality Checks on :imdb:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”― Philip K. Dick

cinewest

Post by cinewest » August 11th, 2020, 2:26 pm

Like a few people, here, I'm struggling with how to define "romance movies."

When I consider the word "romance," and a related word, "romantic" in terms of movies, they initially conjure up films about "falling in love," or at least developing "romantic feelings" about someone else, maybe even movies about the "romantic phase" of a relationship.

But if I limited my list to these kinds of films, there would probably be very few (a bunch of musicals, and romantic comedies, etc.) before they began to seem redundant. That's because any story limited to this ends up being very limited, and intimate relationships get a whole lot more interesting once they include other aspects and phases of that relationship, many of which aren't "romantic" at all. In fact, one could argue that every romance comes to an end at some point, even in movies, and how can these really be "favorite romances?" There are a lot of very different, interesting movies about "intimate relationships," but I probably wouldn't call very many "favorite romances."

Up until now, while making my list, I have been thinking about my favorite films about love (a much broader concept), as well as those films which are romantic to me, which probably include any musicals or or romantic comedies (I like plenty of them, but I don't really consider them romantic) because they don't include enough of what "romance" means to me. They're too focused on turning romance into something entertaining you can laugh at, sing a song to and dance about, and not enough about the real feelings or issues involved.

Still not really sure where to set the parameters of my own list. Perception de Ambiguity has a long interesting list that seems to include some of everything I have described above, and I suppose that is another way I could go.
Last edited by cinewest on August 11th, 2020, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 11th, 2020, 2:38 pm

cinewest wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 2:26 pm
But if I limited my list to these kinds of films, there would probably be very few
Just consider it a courtesy to genre fans to not include a bunch of films that are tangible related to the subject just so you can push a bunch of films you like? Not that most others will, it's the main reason most genre lists are rather useless.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » August 11th, 2020, 5:25 pm

Onderhond wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 2:38 pm
cinewest wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 2:26 pm
But if I limited my list to these kinds of films, there would probably be very few
Just consider it a courtesy to genre fans to not include a bunch of films that are tangible related to the subject just so you can push a bunch of films you like? Not that most others will, it's the main reason most genre lists are rather useless.
As of right now, my list is more about the "nature of Love" than purely "Romance," which seems too limiting, and you can bet that Amour is on my list, for the very reasons lineuphere gives in the post above.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 11th, 2020, 5:27 pm

Too limiting for who? For you?

cinewest

Post by cinewest » August 11th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Onderhond wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 5:27 pm
Too limiting for who? For you?
I speak for myself. Who do you speak for? If it makes you feel any better, almost every film on your list that I've seen is on my list, and those that aren't came close.
Last edited by cinewest on August 11th, 2020, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.