Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: Durak, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

iCM Forum World Cup Season 4 - QF (and further) preparation

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
joachimt
Donator

iCM Forum World Cup Season 4 - QF (and further) preparation

Post by joachimt » August 2nd, 2020, 2:36 pm

Let's have a place to prepare the quarter finals (and rest) of the World Cup. In this OP I'll list all the rules, deadlines and countries that made it. You can also use this topic to discuss countries and possible choices, but managers shouldn't post their selected movies here. Instead they should PM them to me.

Countries that won their match in round 2, so they'll proceed to the quarter finals:
A: Poland (Sanatorium pod klepsydra, sebby)
B: Italy (Dogman, hurluberlu)
C: Greece (To proxenio tis Annas, burneyfan)
D: Estonia (November, jvv)
E: Georgia (Simindis kundzuli, zzzorf)
F: Germany (Spur der steine, klaus78)
G: Russia (Pisma myortvogo cheloveka, Gorro)
H: India (Visaaranai, Ritesh)

DEADLINE TO SUBMIT YOUR MOVIE: August 25th
Countdown till deadline

QF will be done like this:
- 4 matches of each 2 countries.
- Countries won't be competing the same country as in round 1.
- Pace will be 2 weeks per match with 0.5 week overlap.
- First match starts August the 27th.
- Country with most #1 votes proceeds to semi-finals. In case of a tie, there is a three-day extension. If there's still a tie then, the next voter decides by sudden death.

Rules for managers to choose a movie:
- Less than 1000 checks (at the moment the movie is picked).
- Maximum runtime of 180 minutes.
- Only one movie per director for a country in the whole season. A director with movies in multiple countries can be chosen for once for each country.
- No movies from season 1 or season 2 or season 3.
- Coproductions are allowed, but with an explanation why a movie certainly belongs to the country it competes for.
Last edited by joachimt on August 17th, 2020, 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Gorro
Donator

Post by Gorro » August 7th, 2020, 11:29 am

After two depressing post-apocalyptic movies I'm going to pick a lighthearted guilty pleasure of mine as my next pick for Russia. I fully expect it to lose given how these type of movies are generally regarded here, but who knows.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 7th, 2020, 12:33 pm

Damm, 18 days to next round. That's an eternity of wait.
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » August 7th, 2020, 1:10 pm

Gorro wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 11:29 am
After two depressing post-apocalyptic movies I'm going to pick a lighthearted guilty pleasure of mine as my next pick for Russia. I fully expect it to lose given how these type of movies are generally regarded here, but who knows.
I've also picked a comedy for Estonia for the next round.

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » August 7th, 2020, 9:09 pm

I will have to say that while I have been enjoying my first World Cup in its entirety the last couple of days while I have been watching Georgian films to help choose my next movie has been the best part of it. I went into this only having seen my first two picks but with the thought that Georgian film worked well for me and I might get a nudge to explore it more. Well now I have explored it more I can honestly say I Love Georgian Cinema. While I believe I have my next movie chosen I still have a few movies lined up to watch, pity I can't give you all a chunk of the movies I am watching now instead of just one.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 8th, 2020, 10:15 am

zzzorf wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 9:09 pm
I will have to say that while I have been enjoying my first World Cup in its entirety the last couple of days while I have been watching Georgian films to help choose my next movie has been the best part of it. I went into this only having seen my first two picks but with the thought that Georgian film worked well for me and I might get a nudge to explore it more. Well now I have explored it more I can honestly say I Love Georgian Cinema. While I believe I have my next movie chosen I still have a few movies lined up to watch, pity I can't give you all a chunk of the movies I am watching now instead of just one.
:thumbsup:
Wish everyone would watch more than one movie from their country
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

zhangalan

Post by zhangalan » August 8th, 2020, 11:02 am

zzzorf wrote:
Well-said! Being a manager is surely like starting a relationship with the film industry of the country you manage. :thumbsup:

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » August 16th, 2020, 6:26 am

Just wondering has anyone ever put forward a musical as a selection and if so how did it go? If not how do you think one would fare?

I'm not leaning this way but I do have one as an option.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » August 16th, 2020, 7:33 am

zzzorf wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 6:26 am
Just wondering has anyone ever put forward a musical as a selection and if so how did it go? If not how do you think one would fare?

I first recall Indonesia's sole entry (Season 1) and it didn't go well. :lol:

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » August 16th, 2020, 8:23 am

Mario Gaborović wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 7:33 am
zzzorf wrote:

I first recall Indonesia's sole entry (Season 1) and it didn't go well. :lol:
That is what I expected

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 16th, 2020, 8:50 am

Best ask somebody else who has checked it before submitting.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » August 16th, 2020, 9:49 am

Armoreska wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 8:50 am
Best ask somebody else who has checked it before submitting.
As I said I doubt I'm going there (if it was an earlier Round maybe) but I enjoyed it enough that it is an option. My main problem is with your suggestion is I don't recognise any of the other 15 checks for the movie. :circle:

Gorro
Donator

Post by Gorro » August 16th, 2020, 12:42 pm

zzzorf wrote:

I am submitting one for Russia this round. Don't expect it to go well, but wanted to submit something more lighthearted after two depressing ones and it's a guilty pleasure of mine. Just curious to see if anyone else likes it as well honestly.

It would be a fun pairing if you do decide to go that route!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 17th, 2020, 12:10 pm

So these are the final eight countries:

A: Poland (sebby)
B: Italy (hurluberlu)
C: Greece (burneyfan)
D: Estonia (jvv)
E: Georgia (zzzorf)
F: Germany (klaus78)
G: Russia (Gorro)
H: India (Ritesh)

Managers, deadline to submit your choice is August the 25th. I already received the choices for Estonia and Russia.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 24th, 2020, 7:53 pm

1.5 days left for managers. I've got half of the picks now. Waiting for klaus78, burneyfan, Ritesh and sebby.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 26th, 2020, 6:16 am

sebby, don't forget! Less than 4 hours left.
ICM-profile

sebby

Post by sebby » August 26th, 2020, 8:52 am

Just gotta finish up watching one final contender

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 26th, 2020, 10:50 am

Final pick received from sebby. I'll post the schedule later today. Working now....
ICM-profile

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » August 27th, 2020, 6:04 am

Armoreska wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 10:15 am
zzzorf wrote:
The majority of the people who vote are people who don't watch many films here or who want very specific Easter European dramas. It's very stressing and makes you not want to participate anymore. This second round was full of great films that failed with voters but not participators. I hope this changes or people are not going to want to participate anymore.

sebby

Post by sebby » August 27th, 2020, 6:07 am

sacmersault wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 6:04 am
Armoreska wrote:
zzzorf wrote:
The majority of the people who vote are people who don't watch many films here or who want very specific Easter European dramas. It's very stressing and makes you not want to participate anymore. This second round was full of great films that failed with voters but not participators. I hope this changes or people are not going to want to participate anymore.
I may be wrong but I think there was discussion of doing strictly comedy or genre pictures next time around. Maybe someone can confirm or deny that.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 27th, 2020, 6:19 pm

sebby wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 6:07 am
sacmersault wrote:
Armoreska wrote:

I may be wrong but I think there was discussion of doing strictly comedy or genre pictures next time around. Maybe someone can confirm or deny that.
It's being discussed every season, but there was never enough support for it.

@sacmersault: What do you mean with failed with voters but not participators? What's the difference between a voters and a participator?
ICM-profile

sacmersault

Post by sacmersault » August 28th, 2020, 9:51 pm

joachimt wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 6:19 pm
sebby wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 6:07 am
sacmersault wrote:

It's being discussed every season, but there was never enough support for it.

@sacmersault: What do you mean with failed with voters but not participators? What's the difference between a voters and a participator?
People who are actively participating in the WC, have a country they're investing their time on, vs those who only watch and vote

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 29th, 2020, 6:43 am

I don't think any movie "failed" with voters. Sure, there are always people who don't like a movie and for one movie there are more than for others. But for every movie there are also enough people who liked it. Look at the 500<400 results from the past few years. There are also movies entering the list after losing its match in the WC.
ICM-profile