Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: Durak, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

World Cup, Season 4, Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th)

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Armoreska

Re: World Cup, Season 4, Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th)

Post by Armoreska » August 6th, 2020, 7:57 pm

Who's left to break it? Fergenaprido, Edward... MJF is not participating but has seen both
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 6th, 2020, 8:13 pm

I probably won't be online at the deadline, because I'm going on vacation tomorrow. If it's still (or again) a tie at 12:00 CET tomorrow (countdown is in the OP), there is a 72 hour extension. So if the decisive vote is posted 1 minute after the deadline (watch out, Fergy!), the extension is already a fact and the 72 hours will be completed first. If it's a tie after those 72 hours, a sudden death decides.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

edward5

Post by edward5 » August 7th, 2020, 1:08 am

1. Pisma myortvogo cheloveka
2. Manoel dans l'île des merveilles

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 7th, 2020, 8:09 am

I've got my eye on the time. I started Manoel last night, but only managed to finish the first episode. I'm halfway through the second right now, so I've got about 1.5 hours to watch in the remaining 2 hours. I should make the deadline. :fingerscrossed:

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » August 7th, 2020, 9:43 am

I can take part on the weekend if Ferg brings this back to a tie in the next 17 minutes, I've seen Pisma, and have the file for Manoel.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 7th, 2020, 9:56 am

1. Letters from a Dead Man - 6, maybe 7
2. Manuel and the Island of Wonders -5, maybe 6

Pisma was bleak. The jumps between scenes confused me sometimes as they were very disjointed, but overall it worked for me, if just barely.

Manoel wasn't boring, but it was uninteresting. The first episode may have been the better one, but the second two were easier for me to watch (maybe because I didn't care if I missed a line of dialogue here or there). Pity the 4-part Portuguese version isn't available - I think I might enjoy that one more despite its length, if it ends up being more coherent. This 150-minute French dub didn't do it for me, and the soundtrack was all over the place and half the time I didn't think it was suitable for what was taking place on screen. And the editing didn't work for me either, it just came across as a total mess (especially in those last two episodes). I did very much like the concept and idea of the film, but not the execution.
AlsoShow
Who took the family jewels? I thought for sure it would explain that mystery at the end. It was also the source of perhaps the only laugh for me the entire time, as "family jewels" means something else in English (a man's testicles).

Two films I probably wouldn't have sought out on my own, so thanks to the managers for getting me to watch them. I predict Manoel will tumble during its next revote on DTC, based on the results in this thread.
matthewscott8 wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 9:43 am
I can take part on the weekend if Ferg brings this back to a tie in the next 17 minutes, I've seen Pisma, and have the file for Manoel.
Sorry matthew, my vote doesn't make it a tie again.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » August 7th, 2020, 11:10 am

Match is over. Russia wins.

Image Pisma myortvogo cheloveka: 16
Image Manoel dans l'île des merveilles: 14

Congratulations to Gorro. Also thanks to Pgonzalez for his pick and the 30 people who voted this match.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » August 7th, 2020, 11:33 am

ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Gorro
Donator

Post by Gorro » August 7th, 2020, 11:40 am

Thanks for the excitingly close match Pgonzalez.

PGonzalez

Post by PGonzalez » August 7th, 2020, 12:06 pm

Congratulations Gorro!
That's a nice graph :)

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » August 7th, 2020, 12:30 pm

congrats to Soyuz and thanks for saving me a possible portuguese movie watch :D
currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo