Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Der Fan, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

World Cup, Season 4, Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Fergenaprido
Donator

Re: World Cup, Season 4, Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

Post by Fergenaprido » July 17th, 2020, 11:54 am

Armoreska wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 11:46 am
Fergenaprido wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 9:55 am
poor subtitles
I'm the only one here to have watched it without, and my rating is still the lowest.
Haha, fair. But you're probably also the only one here to fully understand the context of the film (let alone the language), so maybe that has something to do with it.

Were you already familiar with the source material? If so, what's it like?

Also, was it strange to have Russian-speaking Gypsies living in the Ottoman Empire? Or is that just me?

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 17th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Yall should have given me the proofreading task.
It seems to have some antiauthoritarian theme, could have used rewatching.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez » July 17th, 2020, 2:29 pm

Congrats to zzzorf. :thumbsup:

Two Days would have been Ukraine's next choice...

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » July 17th, 2020, 10:46 pm

Angel Glez wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 2:29 pm
Congrats to zzzorf. :thumbsup:

Two Days would have been Ukraine's next choice...
Thanks for the match Angel. The movies were a lot closer in my ranks then the final score showed, its a shame that the match wasn't a closer fought battle.

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » July 17th, 2020, 10:52 pm

OK guys and girls I might need some advice going forward. At the start of this World Cup I had only watched two Georgian movies, the two I have used so far. Since then I have watched 1 more but I am not happy with it to use it for this Cup. Does anyone go blind into these later rounds and pick a movie to watch during the round? I have some movies picked out but with my viewing habits majorly mapped out for the next few weeks I don't know how much I will get a chance to actually watch any of them before I need to submit my next choice. Also I am happy to consider others recommendations

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » July 17th, 2020, 11:23 pm

zzzorf wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 10:52 pm
OK guys and girls I might need some advice going forward. At the start of this World Cup I had only watched two Georgian movies, the two I have used so far. Since then I have watched 1 more but I am not happy with it to use it for this Cup. Does anyone go blind into these later rounds and pick a movie to watch during the round? I have some movies picked out but with my viewing habits majorly mapped out for the next few weeks I don't know how much I will get a chance to actually watch any of them before I need to submit my next choice. Also I am happy to consider others recommendations
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169828/

I think that'd qualify.

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » July 17th, 2020, 11:39 pm

Nathan Treadway wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 11:23 pm
zzzorf wrote:

I think that'd qualify.
That was on my original shortlist I made so it is a possibility.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » July 18th, 2020, 6:54 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
zzzorf wrote:

I think that'd qualify.
Might vote for this.

also would vote for
Qolga
Qortsili
(both shorts tho)
Chemi Bebia (but this was a FOTW so no reason to double up yet)
Aprili
Mimino

would like to watch
Arachveulebrivi gamopena - no sub, plz contribute on KG
Didi mtsvane veli
Gagma napiri
Vedreba
Tsisperi mtebi anu daujerebeli ambavi

If I were the Georgia manager, I would have seen those already.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

beavis

Post by beavis » July 18th, 2020, 6:58 am

these are on my watchlist for Georgia, so I would prefer any of them to be selected

Chemi Bebia
Magdana's Donkey
Me, bebia, Iliko da Ilarioni
A Necklace for My Beloved
The 19th Century Georgian Chronicle
The Way Home
The Sun of the Sleepless
27 Missing Kisses
L'héritage
Scary Mother

When I would recommend any of my favorites it would probably be something by Sergei Parajanov or maybe Tengiz Abuladze, but it is a country I want to explore more, so I'd rather have something that is new to me.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » July 18th, 2020, 7:36 am

Best Georgian film that I have seen:

I know filmbantha is a fan too. And yes, I know I already recommended this, but others should check this out too even if zzzorf doesn't select it. B)
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » July 18th, 2020, 9:30 am

Tengiz Abuladze's two other official checks are still eligible: Monanieba & Vedreba
I haven't seen either, but they're both on DTC so they both have their fans, and I've been meaning to see the first one for ages.
The only other Georgian film I've seen that has not yet been mentioned that I would recommend is Dzma.

kingink

Post by kingink » July 19th, 2020, 7:36 pm

Nathan Treadway wrote:
zzzorf wrote:

I think that'd qualify.
That is one fine film! :thumbsup:
I would also recommend https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5791536/ Chemi Bednieri Ojakhi (2017) aka My happy family