Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

iCM Forum's Favourite Films of the 2010s; 2020 edition; Results

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Post Reply
User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

Re: iCM Forum's Favourite Films of the 2010s; 2020 edition; Results

#81

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 7:17 pm

Image

#205 (39 #244) The World's End (Edgar Wright, 2013) 466.16 points
13327 checks, official list(s): 1 :imdb:
History: 205, 244, 197, 162, 202, 151, 135, --
16 votersShow
AB537 (#23)
allisoncm (#173)
Carmel1379 (#89)
Fergenaprido (#289)
Gordon_Gekko (#150)
Gorro (#371)
GruesomeTwosome (#85)
jeff_v (#111)
Jimi Antiloop (#9)
Mysterious Dude (#145)
Onderhond (#257)
Panunzio (#97)
Perception de Ambiguity (#502)
sebby (#221)
Teproc (#6)
vortexsurfer (#44)

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#82

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 7:32 pm

Image

#204 (145 #349) Sorry to Bother You (Boots Riley, 2018) 466.35 points
2729 checks, official list(s): 3 :imdb:
History: 204, 349, --, --, --, --, --, --
11 votersShow
3eyes (unranked>26)
Gorro (#139)
GruesomeTwosome (#112)
jeff_v (#34)
Mysterious Dude (#81)
outdoorcats (#63)
paul281f (unranked>100)
Pretentious Hipster (#59)
prodigalgodson (#12)
sebby (#25)
sol (#69)

User avatar
Lakigigar
Posts: 1351
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Location: Belgium
Contact:

#83

Post by Lakigigar » July 2nd, 2020, 7:35 pm

2 films in my top 100 (Mandy, Senna)

8 seen (Senna, Guardians of the Galaxy, Silence, Blue Valentine, Zero Dark Thirty, Forushande, Eighth Grade, Mandu)

Watchlist:
SpoilerShow
Baby Driver (high on my watchlist)
Coherence
Nocturnal Animals
Carnage
Lazzaro felice
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Mandariinid
If Beale Street Could Talk
Searching for Sugar Man
On Body and Soul
The Death of Stalin
P'tit Quinquin
Chernobyl
Ernest & Celestine
Stray Dogs
The Ghost Writer
Marriage Story (high on my watchlist)
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
The Immigrant
Snowpiercer (high on my watchlist)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The World's End
Sorry To Bother You
List is starting to look a little bit better, but so far i'm not really in love with it. Too many poetic or deep arthouse films, and too few genre flicks. In my view, a really unbalanced list heavily tilting towards deep arthouse. Luckily, here and there, we see some exceptions like Mandy or see a more mainstream movie that is well liked by a larger public (GotG or Baby Driver). But especially genre flicks are dramatically underrepresented in this list.

User avatar
Lakigigar
Posts: 1351
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Location: Belgium
Contact:

#84

Post by Lakigigar » July 2nd, 2020, 7:46 pm

Doesn't mean by the way that i don't respect everyone's film taste or the work the organisator does. At the contrary. We're are only 50 movies far in the list, and I know from previous editions, the start is always sluggish, but than it gets better. The problem however with the 2010's list, and what I especially notice is that this is a community that recommends movies, but movies that are less recommended or unknown are often forgetten, partly because they don't have official checks or a well known director behind them. Maybe the problem is time, that many people (incl. me in the latter years) have watched too few movies, and than resort to what we know what we will like, and in this case our community resorts to official movies or movies with a Polanski or Almodovar as director as an example. And a second problem is that the community lacks variety in users. It has a great active user base, which i like about ICM, because we're able to create great forum lists because of that, but we lack users that like genre flicks or mainstream stuff, something we don't see on Moviemeter where we have both those groups and are able to create a very balanced list. I would even argue on Moviemeter, there are too few classic movie lovers, so it's not perfect either, definitely not. Joachimt will acknowledge that.

I'm afraid many of the titles that i haven't seen (and i did add them to the watchlist) are just not for me, or true recommendations for me and that's a little disappointing, while small foreign-language movies that i like fail to make a breakthrough because it is fighting against those overrepresented deep arthouse movies, but that's just my humble opinion and someone else will be able to get so much more out of this list.

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#85

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 7:47 pm

Image

#203 (-16 #187) Blancanieves [Snow White] (Pablo Berger, 2012) 474.79 points
1419 checks, official list(s): 4 :imdb:
History: 203, 187, 139, 121, 96, 109, 150, 100
16 votersShow
ChrisReynolds (#56)
cinephage (#91)
Cocoa (#78)
Ebbywebby (#23)
Gorro (#178)
hurluberlu (#215)
joachimt (unranked>45)
klaus78 (#74)
Lonewolf2003 (#188)
mightysparks (#137)
mjf314 (#96)
Mysterious Dude (#75)
Nathan Treadway (unranked)
Smoover (#150)
sol (#55)
St. Gloede (#78)

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#86

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 8:02 pm

Image

#202 (-14 #188) Lincoln (Steven Spielberg, 2012) 477.08 points
17741 checks, official list(s): 5 :imdb:
History: 202, 188, 160, 183, 199, 171, 208, 107
12 votersShow
AB537 (#20)
beasterne (#85)
blocho (#22)
Captain_zimmermann (#44)
cinephage (#31)
hurluberlu (#473)
jeff_v (#22)
Nathan Treadway (unranked)
Panunzio (#99)
paul281f (unranked>100)
Perception de Ambiguity (#542)
tommy_leazaq (#124)

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#87

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 8:17 pm

Image

#201 (-17 #184) Tokyo Tribe (Sion Sono, 2014) 488.02 points
361 checks, official list(s): 1 :imdb:
History: 201, 184, 269, 168, 444, 300, --, --
9 votersShow
Carmel1379 (#19)
Ebbywebby (#50)
GruesomeTwosome (#31)
Ivan0716 (#32)
matthewscott8 (#38)
OldAle1 (unranked>65)
Onderhond (#14)
Perception de Ambiguity (#50)
sol (#125)

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#88

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 8:32 pm

Image

#200 (56 #256) Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Bob Persichetti, Rodney Rothman, Peter Ramsey, 2018) 491.07 points
8673 checks, official list(s): 13 :imdb:
History: 200, 256, --, --, --, --, --, --
14 votersShow
beasterne (#19)
Carmel1379 (#223)
ChrisReynolds (#13)
Fergenaprido (#75)
Gorro (#79)
hurluberlu (#151)
matthewscott8 (#29)
Mysterious Dude (#221)
Onderhond (#143)
Panunzio (#61)
sebby (#271)
sol (#154)
tommy_leazaq (#31)
zzzorf (#85)

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#89

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 8:47 pm

Image

#199 (-121 #78) Homo sapiens [Homo Sapiens] (Nikolaus Geyrhalter, 2016) 491.52 points
170 checks, official list(s): 2 :imdb:
History: 199, 78, 171, 344, --, --, --, --
9 votersShow
Carmel1379 (#123)
Ebbywebby (#83)
jvv (unranked)
Perception de Ambiguity (#80)
perceval (#21)
Pretentious Hipster (#12)
prodigalgodson (#5)
sebby (#247)
tommy_leazaq (#13)

User avatar
filmbantha
Posts: 341
Joined: Jul 10, 2013
Contact:

#90

Post by filmbantha » July 2nd, 2020, 8:52 pm

Lakigigar wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 7:46 pm
Doesn't mean by the way that i don't respect everyone's film taste or the work the organisator does. At the contrary. We're are only 50 movies far in the list, and I know from previous editions, the start is always sluggish, but than it gets better. The problem however with the 2010's list, and what I especially notice is that this is a community that recommends movies, but movies that are less recommended or unknown are often forgetten, partly because they don't have official checks or a well known director behind them. Maybe the problem is time, that many people (incl. me in the latter years) have watched too few movies, and than resort to what we know what we will like, and in this case our community resorts to official movies or movies with a Polanski or Almodovar as director as an example. And a second problem is that the community lacks variety in users. It has a great active user base, which i like about ICM, because we're able to create great forum lists because of that, but we lack users that like genre flicks or mainstream stuff, something we don't see on Moviemeter where we have both those groups and are able to create a very balanced list. I would even argue on Moviemeter, there are too few classic movie lovers, so it's not perfect either, definitely not. Joachimt will acknowledge that.

I'm afraid many of the titles that i haven't seen (and i did add them to the watchlist) are just not for me, or true recommendations for me and that's a little disappointing, while small foreign-language movies that i like fail to make a breakthrough because it is fighting against those overrepresented deep arthouse movies, but that's just my humble opinion and someone else will be able to get so much more out of this list.
I've had a look through your submitted list and we have a lot of crossover, it's great to see films like It Follows, The Guest and Why Don't You Play in Hell? on your list, and i think you might find some films that peak your interest on my list that are unlikely to make the cut here. I am a huge horror/sci-fi fan although many of the films I have enjoyed in these genres haven't made it to my list by virtue of not being considered favourites, that's not to say they aren't also worth seeking out but I can be quite critical when it comes to the genres I love, perhaps due to the large volume of films which I watch from these genres. If you are seeking horror/sci-fi films then I would love to know more about what it is you are after so I could try and help with some specific recommendations :)
Also, I'm really enjoying the list reveals so far, thanks to lonewolf for all the work in putting this together :cheers:

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#91

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 9:02 pm

Image

#198 (112 #310) Faust (Aleksandr Sokurov, 2011) 492.69 points
758 checks, official list(s): 2 :imdb:
History: 198, 310, 304, 293, 416, 260, 164, 517
6 votersShow
beavis (#25)
bjornam (#46)
cinewest (#28)
clemmetarey (#1)
hurluberlu (#1)
Y U M E (#2)

User avatar
Lakigigar
Posts: 1351
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Location: Belgium
Contact:

#92

Post by Lakigigar » July 2nd, 2020, 9:07 pm

filmbantha wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 8:52 pm
Lakigigar wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 7:46 pm
Doesn't mean by the way that i don't respect everyone's film taste or the work the organisator does. At the contrary. We're are only 50 movies far in the list, and I know from previous editions, the start is always sluggish, but than it gets better. The problem however with the 2010's list, and what I especially notice is that this is a community that recommends movies, but movies that are less recommended or unknown are often forgetten, partly because they don't have official checks or a well known director behind them. Maybe the problem is time, that many people (incl. me in the latter years) have watched too few movies, and than resort to what we know what we will like, and in this case our community resorts to official movies or movies with a Polanski or Almodovar as director as an example. And a second problem is that the community lacks variety in users. It has a great active user base, which i like about ICM, because we're able to create great forum lists because of that, but we lack users that like genre flicks or mainstream stuff, something we don't see on Moviemeter where we have both those groups and are able to create a very balanced list. I would even argue on Moviemeter, there are too few classic movie lovers, so it's not perfect either, definitely not. Joachimt will acknowledge that.

I'm afraid many of the titles that i haven't seen (and i did add them to the watchlist) are just not for me, or true recommendations for me and that's a little disappointing, while small foreign-language movies that i like fail to make a breakthrough because it is fighting against those overrepresented deep arthouse movies, but that's just my humble opinion and someone else will be able to get so much more out of this list.
I've had a look through your submitted list and we have a lot of crossover, it's great to see films like It Follows, The Guest and Why Don't You Play in Hell? on your list, and i think you might find some films that peak your interest on my list that are unlikely to make the cut here. I am a huge horror/sci-fi fan although many of the films I have enjoyed in these genres haven't made it to my list by virtue of not being considered favourites, that's not to say they aren't also worth seeking out but I can be quite critical when it comes to the genres I love, perhaps due to the large volume of films which I watch from these genres. If you are seeking horror/sci-fi films then I would love to know more about what it is you are after so I could try and help with some specific recommendations :)
Also, I'm really enjoying the list reveals so far, thanks to lonewolf for all the work in putting this together :cheers:
I like coming of age but Aldo love horror and scifi. I still have a lot to watch. Sono is one of these directors i further intend to explore. I don't Know what im looking for.
Films with young female protagonists or lots of color and modern music, a bit weird but not too weird. But i generally watch a bit of everything.

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#93

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 9:17 pm

Image

#197 (35 #232) Columbus (Kogonada, 2017) 497.76 points
822 checks, official list(s): 1 :imdb:
History: 197, 232, 238, --, --, --, --, --
12 votersShow
beasterne (#4)
Fergenaprido (#373)
Ivan0716 (#3)
jeff_v (#110)
klaus78 (#51)
mightysparks (#90)
Mysterious Dude (#141)
outdoorcats (#115)
perceval (#37)
sebby (#5)
sol (#180)
Traversetown (#230)

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#94

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 9:32 pm

Image

#196 (-47 #149) Kick-Ass (Matthew Vaughn, 2010) 504.31 points
69418 checks, official list(s): 1 :imdb:
History: 196, 149, 155, 123, 79, 95, 110, 77
13 votersShow
AB537 (#119)
Carmel1379 (#463)
ChrisReynolds (#7)
cinephage (#18)
filmbantha (#11)
Gorro (#153)
hurluberlu (#457)
Lonewolf2003 (#20)
Onderhond (#227)
paul281f (#86)
Smoover (#135)
tommy_leazaq (#25)
zzzorf (#138)

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#95

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 9:48 pm

Image

#195 (-5 #190) Samsara (Ron Fricke, 2011) 505.52 points
2564 checks, official list(s): 3 :imdb:
History: 195, 190, 120, 93, 60, 114, 101, 49
15 votersShow
brokenface (#28)
Carmel1379 (#101)
cinephage (#64)
cinewest (#17)
Gorro (#226)
Jimi Antiloop (#89)
joachimt (unranked>45)
klaus78 (#60)
Lonewolf2003 (#86)
Mysterious Dude (#263)
nimimerkillinen (#84)
Obgeoff (#55)
Perception de Ambiguity (#220)
tommy_leazaq (#115)
Traveller (#51)

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#96

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 10:03 pm

Image

#194 (-16 #178) Skyfall (Sam Mendes, 2012) 506.58 points
40985 checks, official list(s): 4 :imdb:
History: 194, 178, 138, 107, 101, 68, 75, 80
17 votersShow
AB537 (#9)
bjornam (#108)
blocho (unranked>27)
Captain_zimmermann (#30)
Carmel1379 (#236)
ChrisReynolds (#120)
cinephage (#25)
Fergenaprido (#106)
Gorro (#124)
hurluberlu (#449)
Lammetje (#61)
OldAle1 (unranked>65)
Panunzio (#177)
paul281f (unranked>100)
Perception de Ambiguity (#255)
Smoover (#93)
sol (#64)

User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 20309
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#97

Post by Pretentious Hipster » July 2nd, 2020, 10:12 pm

The Pedro Costa army is tiny but powerful

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#98

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 10:18 pm

Image

#193 (33 #226) Edge of Tomorrow (Doug Liman, 2014) 506.93 points
21030 checks, official list(s): 3 :imdb:
History: 193, 226, 144, 188, 189, 204, 290, --
22 votersShow
beasterne (#48)
blocho (unranked>27)
Carmel1379 (#221)
Fergenaprido (#327)
Gordon_Gekko (#47)
Gorro (#297)
hurluberlu (#188)
jeff_v (#128)
Jimi Antiloop (#63)
joachimt (unranked>45)
jvv (unranked)
matthewscott8 (#53)
mightysparks (#88)
Mysterious Dude (#200)
nimimerkillinen (#264)
OldAle1 (unranked>65)
Panunzio (#181)
paul281f (#63)
Perception de Ambiguity (#425)
sebby (#209)
Traversetown (#261)
zzzorf (#60)

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#99

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 10:33 pm

Image

#192 (-28 #164) Frances Ha (Noah Baumbach, 2012) 507.98 points
7065 checks, official list(s): 3 :imdb:
History: 192, 164, 109, 86, 75, 52, 38, 193
15 votersShow
filmbantha (#61)
Gordon_Gekko (#154)
hurluberlu (#289)
klaus78 (#73)
mjf314 (#38)
Mysterious Dude (#126)
nimimerkillinen (#41)
OldAle1 (unranked>65)
outdoorcats (#133)
paul281f (#11)
Perception de Ambiguity (#399)
sebby (#8)
tommy_leazaq (#106)
Traversetown (#267)
vortexsurfer (#63)

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#100

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 10:48 pm

Image

#191 (-91 #100) Manbiki kazoku [Shoplifters] (Hirokazu Koreeda, 2018) 512.46 points
2524 checks, official list(s): 6 :imdb:
History: 191, 100, --, --, --, --, --, --
17 votersShow
AB537 (#112)
Carmel1379 (#328)
Gordon_Gekko (#231)
Gorro (#362)
hurluberlu (#403)
joachimt (unranked>45)
Lonewolf2003 (#58)
mightysparks (#77)
mjf314 (#9)
Mysterious Dude (#84)
OldAle1 (unranked>65)
Perception de Ambiguity (#1237)
rnilsson19 (#32)
Smoover (#107)
Teproc (#38)
Traveller (#7)
Traversetown (#254)

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#101

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 11:03 pm

Image

#190 (59 #249) Cloud Atlas (Lilly Wachowski, Lana Wachowski, Tom Tykwer, 2012) 514.29 points
17863 checks, official list(s): 0 :imdb:
History: 190, 249, 205, 215, 168, 126, 123, 71
11 votersShow
blocho (#2)
Captain_zimmermann (#3)
Carmel1379 (#213)
ChrisReynolds (#87)
filmbantha (#37)
Gorro (#227)
GruesomeTwosome (#79)
Jimi Antiloop (#82)
Lonewolf2003 (#33)
OldAle1 (#11)
Perception de Ambiguity (#695)

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#102

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 11:18 pm

Image

#189 (40 #229) Zama (Lucrecia Martel, 2017) 515.01 points
592 checks, official list(s): 4 :imdb:
History: 189, 229, 1681, --, --, --, --, --
12 votersShow
cinewest (#54)
Ivan0716 (#40)
lineuphere (#75)
matthewscott8 (#39)
Obgeoff (#188)
OldAle1 (unranked>65)
Panunzio (#165)
paul281f (#68)
Perception de Ambiguity (#117)
Pretentious Hipster (#92)
prodigalgodson (#6)
zuma (#2)

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#103

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 11:33 pm

Image

#188 (7 #195) Climax (Gaspar Noé, 2018) 519.31 points
1557 checks, official list(s): 2 :imdb:
History: 188, 195, --, --, --, --, --, --
15 votersShow
Carmel1379 (#63)
ChrisReynolds (#48)
cinewest (#50)
explorer95 (#35)
filmbantha (#105)
Gordon_Gekko (#152)
Gorro (#288)
GruesomeTwosome (#95)
Ivan0716 (#61)
Lonewolf2003 (#50)
Onderhond (#44)
sol (#168)
tommy_leazaq (#79)
Traversetown (#98)
zuma (#94)

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#104

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 2nd, 2020, 11:48 pm

Image

#187 (12 #199) Serbuan maut [The Raid: Redemption] (Gareth Evans, 2011) 519.83 points
8824 checks, official list(s): 1 :imdb:
History: 187, 199, 199, 311, 160, 128, 83, 74
14 votersShow
AB537 (#10)
beavis (#51)
ChrisReynolds (#37)
clemmetarey (#34)
filmbantha (#15)
Gordon_Gekko (#190)
Gorro (#247)
jeff_v (#153)
kingink (#294)
matthewscott8 (#58)
Panunzio (#76)
Perception de Ambiguity (#535)
toromash (#97)
vortexsurfer (#61)

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#105

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 3rd, 2020, 12:03 am

Image

#186 (-80 #106) Intouchables [The Intouchables] (Olivier Nakache, Éric Toledano, 2011) 524.93 points
32650 checks, official list(s): 7 :imdb:
History: 186, 106, 111, 75, 70, 37, 46, 18
15 votersShow
AB537 (unranked>120)
allisoncm (#14)
explorer95 (#51)
Fergenaprido (#47)
Gorro (#86)
hurluberlu (#460)
jvv (unranked)
kingink (#123)
Lakigigar (#55)
Lammetje (#38)
Lonewolf2003 (#154)
Nathan Treadway (unranked)
Panunzio (#169)
Traveller (#73)
zzzorf (#159)

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30752
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#106

Post by mightysparks » July 3rd, 2020, 12:15 am

filmbantha wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 8:52 pm
Lakigigar wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 7:46 pm
Doesn't mean by the way that i don't respect everyone's film taste or the work the organisator does. At the contrary. We're are only 50 movies far in the list, and I know from previous editions, the start is always sluggish, but than it gets better. The problem however with the 2010's list, and what I especially notice is that this is a community that recommends movies, but movies that are less recommended or unknown are often forgetten, partly because they don't have official checks or a well known director behind them. Maybe the problem is time, that many people (incl. me in the latter years) have watched too few movies, and than resort to what we know what we will like, and in this case our community resorts to official movies or movies with a Polanski or Almodovar as director as an example. And a second problem is that the community lacks variety in users. It has a great active user base, which i like about ICM, because we're able to create great forum lists because of that, but we lack users that like genre flicks or mainstream stuff, something we don't see on Moviemeter where we have both those groups and are able to create a very balanced list. I would even argue on Moviemeter, there are too few classic movie lovers, so it's not perfect either, definitely not. Joachimt will acknowledge that.

I'm afraid many of the titles that i haven't seen (and i did add them to the watchlist) are just not for me, or true recommendations for me and that's a little disappointing, while small foreign-language movies that i like fail to make a breakthrough because it is fighting against those overrepresented deep arthouse movies, but that's just my humble opinion and someone else will be able to get so much more out of this list.
I've had a look through your submitted list and we have a lot of crossover, it's great to see films like It Follows, The Guest and Why Don't You Play in Hell? on your list, and i think you might find some films that peak your interest on my list that are unlikely to make the cut here. I am a huge horror/sci-fi fan although many of the films I have enjoyed in these genres haven't made it to my list by virtue of not being considered favourites, that's not to say they aren't also worth seeking out but I can be quite critical when it comes to the genres I love, perhaps due to the large volume of films which I watch from these genres. If you are seeking horror/sci-fi films then I would love to know more about what it is you are after so I could try and help with some specific recommendations :)
Also, I'm really enjoying the list reveals so far, thanks to lonewolf for all the work in putting this together :cheers:
The sad lonely existence of the genre fan... The lack of genre representation in lists (in general) is what sparked me to create TSZDT so I also find it really frustrating, but these lists are still fun and I like this community’s taste more than any other film community so I still find it good for recommendations of other types of films.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#107

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 3rd, 2020, 12:18 am

Image

#185 (-29 #156) Like Someone in Love (Shay Modaressi, Abbas Kiarostami, 2012) 528.17 points
1248 checks, official list(s): 2 :imdb:
History: 185, 156, 119, 103, 111, 103, 68, 76
13 votersShow
Carmel1379 (#501)
GruesomeTwosome (#11)
Ivan0716 (#17)
Lonewolf2003 (#39)
nimimerkillinen (#118)
OldAle1 (unranked>65)
Perception de Ambiguity (#734)
perceval (#80)
Pretentious Hipster (#65)
prodigalgodson (#36)
sebby (#19)
St. Gloede (#66)
Traversetown (#160)

User avatar
TraverseTown
Posts: 313
Joined: Jan 25, 2013
Location: USA
Contact:

#108

Post by TraverseTown » July 3rd, 2020, 12:19 am

I feel like Shoplifters was really popular in Western film circles for a hot minute, then South Korea came in with the one-two punch of Burning & Parasite and knocked it off its pedestal.

User avatar
Lakigigar
Posts: 1351
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Location: Belgium
Contact:

#109

Post by Lakigigar » July 3rd, 2020, 12:23 am

TraverseTown wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 12:19 am
I feel like Shoplifters was really popular in Western film circles for a hot minute, then South Korea came in with the one-two punch of Burning & Parasite and knocked it off its pedestal.
It's a huge drop for Shoplifters, indeed. I started watching it, but I stopped it rather quickly, because it felt like it was nothing for me. I think what is missing in Koreeda's movie is some thrilling aspect. But maybe i wasn't just in the mood. I will definitely watch it at some point, as most of the filmography of Koreeda, but the only one i really liked was Soshite chichi ni naru. The others just can't to seem make an impact on me. I don't know what i miss in his movies, but i feel like there is still potential, so i'm not giving up on Koreeda. I still need to explore Japanese cinema, but so far i haven't found that one gem that deserves a 10/10 unfortunately. Japanese cinema is a bit too weird for me, i think. Sono might have that 10/10 maybe. Or some other director / movie, but i still only have seen like 20 Japanese movies.

I'm much more a fan of South Korean cinema. Parasite was great. I still have to see Burning, but I don't think it's something for me. Too poetic / slow and lack of a thrilling aspect, i assume. But they're great in thrillers or revenge movies, and South-Korea has been a success for me, so far. I'm not really into Chang Don Lee, Hong-san Soo or Chan-Wook Park's movies, but I still really like South-Korean cinema, from what i've seen. I'm a big fan of Ki-Duk Kim. He has that kind of magic that makes his movies awesome.

User avatar
Lakigigar
Posts: 1351
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Location: Belgium
Contact:

#110

Post by Lakigigar » July 3rd, 2020, 12:29 am

For the fans of Intouchables, i think they will like Demain tout commence, La famille Bélier and maybe Hors Normes. Big drop though for Intouchables.

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#111

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 3rd, 2020, 12:33 am

Image

#184 (-10 #174) Song of the Sea (Tomm Moore, 2014) 529.33 points
4171 checks, official list(s): 6 :imdb:
History: 184, 174, 169, 247, 193, 290, --, --
15 votersShow
3eyes (unranked>26)
AB537 (unranked>120)
beasterne (#76)
blocho (unranked>27)
ChrisReynolds (#96)
Fergenaprido (#127)
Gorro (#341)
hurluberlu (#339)
Lakigigar (#20)
Mysterious Dude (#59)
Perception de Ambiguity (#1155)
perceval (#13)
sebby (#41)
Smoover (#86)
Y U M E (#21)

User avatar
Lakigigar
Posts: 1351
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Location: Belgium
Contact:

#112

Post by Lakigigar » July 3rd, 2020, 12:35 am

mightysparks wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 12:15 am
filmbantha wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 8:52 pm
Lakigigar wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 7:46 pm
Doesn't mean by the way that i don't respect everyone's film taste or the work the organisator does. At the contrary. We're are only 50 movies far in the list, and I know from previous editions, the start is always sluggish, but than it gets better. The problem however with the 2010's list, and what I especially notice is that this is a community that recommends movies, but movies that are less recommended or unknown are often forgetten, partly because they don't have official checks or a well known director behind them. Maybe the problem is time, that many people (incl. me in the latter years) have watched too few movies, and than resort to what we know what we will like, and in this case our community resorts to official movies or movies with a Polanski or Almodovar as director as an example. And a second problem is that the community lacks variety in users. It has a great active user base, which i like about ICM, because we're able to create great forum lists because of that, but we lack users that like genre flicks or mainstream stuff, something we don't see on Moviemeter where we have both those groups and are able to create a very balanced list. I would even argue on Moviemeter, there are too few classic movie lovers, so it's not perfect either, definitely not. Joachimt will acknowledge that.

I'm afraid many of the titles that i haven't seen (and i did add them to the watchlist) are just not for me, or true recommendations for me and that's a little disappointing, while small foreign-language movies that i like fail to make a breakthrough because it is fighting against those overrepresented deep arthouse movies, but that's just my humble opinion and someone else will be able to get so much more out of this list.
I've had a look through your submitted list and we have a lot of crossover, it's great to see films like It Follows, The Guest and Why Don't You Play in Hell? on your list, and i think you might find some films that peak your interest on my list that are unlikely to make the cut here. I am a huge horror/sci-fi fan although many of the films I have enjoyed in these genres haven't made it to my list by virtue of not being considered favourites, that's not to say they aren't also worth seeking out but I can be quite critical when it comes to the genres I love, perhaps due to the large volume of films which I watch from these genres. If you are seeking horror/sci-fi films then I would love to know more about what it is you are after so I could try and help with some specific recommendations :)
Also, I'm really enjoying the list reveals so far, thanks to lonewolf for all the work in putting this together :cheers:
The sad lonely existence of the genre fan... The lack of genre representation in lists (in general) is what sparked me to create TSZDT so I also find it really frustrating, but these lists are still fun and I like this community’s taste more than any other film community so I still find it good for recommendations of other types of films.
Even the horror top list is saturated with arthouse cinema ironically. But I agree that the taste of this film community is still better than most other communities, especially the IMDb one. I don't understand why the Twilight movies get a rating of 5 and below, while some of Marvel's movies are in the top 100 of all-time cinema. I mean it's heavily tilted towards what males like, and hypes. Small gems are harder to discover on IMDb or Reddit for example. But Moviemeter has a great community and is imo the best community because it has such a varied community when creating their top 1000. That's why i like their top 1000 more than the top 1000 here, because it's so tilted towards recent cinema, while i also watch mostly or even solely movies from the last 30 years, and especially 10 years. One day, i'll explore older cinema, because i'm sure it has it's great's movies, but my interest is less there, and i also am behind on tv series as well. And what i think is great about this community though is the organization capacity, all the people organizing stuff and putting so much time in all that work.

I'm now preparing for the ICM top 1000 and the MM top 1000 next year, watching more great movies and must-see movies, to make my list as good as possible. I didn't participate this year because of my depression, and my movie dip.

TSZDT is one of my favourite official lists, will certainly work on it, but it is also heavily oriented towards older horror cinema, but i seem to like older horror movies as well, contrary to other genres, where i only like newer cinema mostly.
Last edited by Lakigigar on July 3rd, 2020, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lakigigar
Posts: 1351
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Location: Belgium
Contact:

#113

Post by Lakigigar » July 3rd, 2020, 12:40 am

4 films in my top 100 (Mandy, Senna, Song of the Sea, Intouchables). Song of the Sea is the highest on my list on place 20. But Mandy was pretty high as well. Intouchables and Senna in the second half.

11 seen (Senna, Guardians of the Galaxy, Silence, Blue Valentine, Zero Dark Thirty, Forushande, Eighth Grade, Mandy, Song of the Sea, Intouchables, Kick-Ass)

Eighth Grade, Guardians of the Galaxy and Kick-Ass are great movies as well that would have made a top 150 if i made one. Forushande was a disappointment despite liking Farhadi a lot. Blue Valentine is a movie i need to rewatch. Only Silence is the movie i've seen i really don't like, but I knew before watching it it was likely to not something that was going to amuse me.

Watchlist:
bold = soon to watch
SpoilerShow
Baby Driver
Coherence
Nocturnal Animals
Carnage
Lazzaro felice
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Mandariinid
If Beale Street Could Talk
Searching for Sugar Man
On Body and Soul
The Death of Stalin
P'tit Quinquin
Chernobyl
Ernest & Celestine
Stray Dogs
The Ghost Writer
Marriage Story
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
The Immigrant
Snowpiercer
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The World's End
Sorry To Bother You
Like Someone in Love
[The Raid: Redemption]
Climax
Shoplifters

Frances Ha
Edge of Tomorrow
Skyfall
Columbus
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Tokyo Tribe

Lincoln

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#114

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 3rd, 2020, 12:48 am

Image

#183 (NEW) Knives Out (Rian Johnson, 2019) 530.72 points
5444 checks, official list(s): 3 :imdb:
History: 183, --, --, --, --, --, --, --
19 votersShow
AB537 (#16)
blocho (unranked>27)
Carmel1379 (#188)
ChrisReynolds (#18)
explorer95 (#20)
Fergenaprido (#182)
Gorro (#111)
hurluberlu (#410)
Mysterious Dude (#161)
Nathan Treadway (unranked)
Obgeoff (#201)
outdoorcats (#240)
Panunzio (#65)
Perception de Ambiguity (#1352)
russa03 (#80)
sol (#114)
Teproc (#40)
Traversetown (#303)
zzzorf (#171)

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30752
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#115

Post by mightysparks » July 3rd, 2020, 12:52 am

Lakigigar wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 12:23 am
TraverseTown wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 12:19 am
I feel like Shoplifters was really popular in Western film circles for a hot minute, then South Korea came in with the one-two punch of Burning & Parasite and knocked it off its pedestal.
It's a huge drop for Shoplifters, indeed. I started watching it, but I stopped it rather quickly, because it felt like it was nothing for me. I think what is missing in Koreeda's movie is some thrilling aspect. But maybe i wasn't just in the mood. I will definitely watch it at some point, as most of the filmography of Koreeda, but the only one i really liked was Soshite chichi ni naru.
I found Shoplifters really thrilling actually, it's a drama not a thriller but I found it pretty engrossing. Not a fan of Koreeda's other work I've seen. Haven't seen Burning, but Parasite was such an average movie, Shoplifters is by far the stronger film.
But Moviemeter has a great community and is imo the best community because it has such a varied community when creating their top 1000. That's why i like their top 1000 more than the top 1000 here, because it's so tilted towards recent cinema, while i also watch mostly or even solely movies from the last 30 years, and especially 10 years.
I don't speak the language so I've never really paid any attention to Moviemeter. I think this community is quite varied, but I think because of the list/check factor, there just seems to be a lot of overlap in certain areas.
TSZDT is one of my favourite official lists, will certainly work on it, but it is also heavily oriented towards older horror cinema, but i seem to like older horror movies as well, contrary to other genres, where i only like newer cinema mostly.
I prefer modern horror more than older stuff (the 80s has always been my favourite decade but the last 10 years of horror has been insanely strong and could possibly take over), but we do try to eliminate the 'recency bias' for TSZDT otherwise the list just wouldn't make any sense.


Edit: also I wish themagician was still around so we could compare this to an updated 'highest rated' list. *prays for themagician's safety and return*
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#116

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 3rd, 2020, 1:03 am

Image

#182 (-37 #145) Anomalisa (Duke Johnson, Charlie Kaufman, 2015) 531.11 points
4320 checks, official list(s): 1 :imdb:
History: 182, 145, 114, 111, 129, --, --, --
17 votersShow
beavis (#15)
Carmel1379 (#198)
cinephage (#223)
Ebbywebby (#126)
jeff_v (#38)
klaus78 (#53)
Mysterious Dude (#26)
Obgeoff (#154)
Onderhond (#145)
Panunzio (#55)
paul281f (unranked>100)
Perception de Ambiguity (#182)
russa03 (#56)
sebby (#123)
St. Gloede (#101)
Traversetown (#244)
vortexsurfer (#52)

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#117

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 3rd, 2020, 1:18 am

Image

#181 (23 #204) Sicario (Denis Villeneuve, 2015) 531.24 points
11495 checks, official list(s): 1 :imdb:
History: 181, 204, 154, 137, 128, --, --, --
17 votersShow
bjornam (#37)
blocho (unranked>27)
brokenface (#33)
Carmel1379 (#356)
ChrisReynolds (#145)
cinephage (#220)
Gordon_Gekko (#140)
Gorro (#143)
GruesomeTwosome (#41)
hurluberlu (#436)
kingink (#84)
mightysparks (#58)
nimimerkillinen (#155)
Panunzio (#68)
Perception de Ambiguity (#498)
sol (#23)
vortexsurfer (#31)

User avatar
Lakigigar
Posts: 1351
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Location: Belgium
Contact:

#118

Post by Lakigigar » July 3rd, 2020, 1:23 am

mightysparks wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 12:52 am
Lakigigar wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 12:23 am
TraverseTown wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 12:19 am
I feel like Shoplifters was really popular in Western film circles for a hot minute, then South Korea came in with the one-two punch of Burning & Parasite and knocked it off its pedestal.
It's a huge drop for Shoplifters, indeed. I started watching it, but I stopped it rather quickly, because it felt like it was nothing for me. I think what is missing in Koreeda's movie is some thrilling aspect. But maybe i wasn't just in the mood. I will definitely watch it at some point, as most of the filmography of Koreeda, but the only one i really liked was Soshite chichi ni naru.
I found Shoplifters really thrilling actually, it's a drama not a thriller but I found it pretty engrossing. Not a fan of Koreeda's other work I've seen. Haven't seen Burning, but Parasite was such an average movie, Shoplifters is by far the stronger film.
But Moviemeter has a great community and is imo the best community because it has such a varied community when creating their top 1000. That's why i like their top 1000 more than the top 1000 here, because it's so tilted towards recent cinema, while i also watch mostly or even solely movies from the last 30 years, and especially 10 years.
I don't speak the language so I've never really paid any attention to Moviemeter. I think this community is quite varied, but I think because of the list/check factor, there just seems to be a lot of overlap in certain areas.
TSZDT is one of my favourite official lists, will certainly work on it, but it is also heavily oriented towards older horror cinema, but i seem to like older horror movies as well, contrary to other genres, where i only like newer cinema mostly.
I prefer modern horror more than older stuff (the 80s has always been my favourite decade but the last 10 years of horror has been insanely strong and could possibly take over), but we do try to eliminate the 'recency bias' for TSZDT otherwise the list just wouldn't make any sense.


Edit: also I wish themagician was still around so we could compare this to an updated 'highest rated' list. *prays for themagician's safety and return*
Well, maybe i need to give Shoplifters another shot, but I thought Parasite was really great, so i disagree with you there (which is okay).

User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 20309
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#119

Post by Pretentious Hipster » July 3rd, 2020, 1:25 am

mightysparks wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 12:52 am
Edit: also I wish themagician was still around so we could compare this to an updated 'highest rated' list. *prays for themagician's safety and return*
He left after that huge fight about the use of rape in pinku films there's no way he's coming back.

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 9262
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#120

Post by Lonewolf2003 » July 3rd, 2020, 1:33 am

Image

#180 (-23 #157) The Big Short (Adam McKay, 2015) 532.1 points
12179 checks, official list(s): 4 :imdb:
History: 180, 157, 161, 189, 191, --, --, --
18 votersShow
AB537 (#117)
beasterne (#115)
Carmel1379 (#151)
cinephage (#222)
Ebbywebby (#58)
Fergenaprido (#330)
Gordon_Gekko (#22)
Gorro (#134)
gromit82 (#21)
hurluberlu (#438)
Jimi Antiloop (#26)
Lammetje (#15)
Obgeoff (#162)
outdoorcats (#230)
Panunzio (#88)
paul281f (unranked>100)
Perception de Ambiguity (#385)
sol (#57)

Post Reply