Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 16 released September 13th)
Polls: Romance (Results), 1951 (Results), 500<400 (Sep 23rd), 2008 (Oct 4th)
Challenges: Animation, Silent Era, Russia/USSR
Film of the Week: Durak, October nominations (Sep 25th)
World Cup S4: QF Schedule, Match QFC: Germany vs Italy (Oct 1st)

Rankdown II - Best Picture Nominees ('09-'19) (Congrats to the Winner!)

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Post Reply
blocho
Donator
Posts: 3502
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

Re: Rankdown II - Best Picture Nominees ('09-'19) (Round 8, #6-#1!)

#1161

Post by blocho » July 23rd, 2020, 1:49 pm

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) 5
The Grand Budapest Hotel 4

Nathan Treadway
Donator
Posts: 4279
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
Location: Springfield, MO, USA
Contact:

#1162

Post by Nathan Treadway » July 23rd, 2020, 2:00 pm

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) 5
The Grand Budapest Hotel 5

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1888
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#1163

Post by cinewest » July 23rd, 2020, 2:02 pm

AB537 wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 12:49 pm
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) 5
The Grand Budapest Hotel 3

I like both a lot, but Grand Budapest Hotel more.
You and OldAle could share a room at the next convention....

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1888
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#1164

Post by cinewest » July 23rd, 2020, 2:03 pm

Nathan Treadway wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 2:00 pm
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) 5
The Grand Budapest Hotel 5
Yes, Nathan!

I'm going to celebrate the moment, if only because I know Onderhond is lurking somewhere just waiting to spoil my day.

beasterne
Posts: 458
Joined: May 22, 2013
Contact:

#1165

Post by beasterne » July 23rd, 2020, 2:25 pm

cinewest wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 1:06 pm
AB537 wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 12:51 pm
Onderhond wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 11:45 am
A little uncertain about the rules here. Is there still a veto moment after the vote-off?
Good question. If not, we moved way too quickly into the runoff.
Technically, a veto can’t come into play unless something has first been voted off, though I suppose ione of the veto holders could use their veto preemptively, thus rendering any vote Against their film null and void, unless a veto is also played for the other film, which would return the The result to the outcome of the vote.
So in previous rounds I was trying to give space for vetoes to be played prior to starting the runoff vote (see the elimination of Hugo, when La La Land and Hugo were tied with 1 vote apiece and a runoff would be necessary *if one or both were not vetoed*).

For this round, vetoes can be played after the runoff finishes, but for any future runoffs I would say we want to have vetoes played before the runoff vote starts. Just my two cents.

beasterne
Posts: 458
Joined: May 22, 2013
Contact:

#1166

Post by beasterne » July 23rd, 2020, 2:25 pm

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) 6
The Grand Budapest Hotel 5

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4870
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#1167

Post by Onderhond » July 23rd, 2020, 2:34 pm

I'm going for the Bird, it's time it finally joins the Tree.

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) 7
The Grand Budapest Hotel 5
sol wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 9:35 am
It will be interested in seeing what the more neutral voters do this round; voting for Grand Budapest Hotel to be cut might be a good way to flush out another veto.
I never expected you'd go so low sol!

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1888
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#1168

Post by cinewest » July 23rd, 2020, 2:36 pm

Just did a tally of those who didn't vote for either Birdman or Grand Budapest the first time around and it looks like the final vote favors Grand Budapest advancing, just as I suspected.

Two close losses for my favorites during the "vote off," but I could pretty much see the writing on the wall, and that leaves me with nothing I'm really passionate about fighting for, though I will do my best for my #4 film. The four films left that I have seen are all good films in my book, though I don't really believe any deserve to wear the crown. Back when I joined the game, I thought 3 of the remaining 5 would finish in the top 3, and the only big surprise (perhaps since I haven't seen it) is the inclusion of Blackkklansman, which may have something to do with a recency bias.

Off to bed now... if my babies will let me sleep
Last edited by cinewest on July 23rd, 2020, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeff_v
Posts: 1072
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Another Place
Contact:

#1169

Post by jeff_v » July 23rd, 2020, 2:40 pm

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) 8
The Grand Budapest Hotel 5

User avatar
jeroeno
Posts: 3541
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
Location: Valkenswaard, The Netherlands
Contact:

#1170

Post by jeroeno » July 23rd, 2020, 2:43 pm

How are we dealing with the remaing vetoes? It looks we might have 4 vetoes left and only 5 (or 6) movies. I'm fine with not using my veto at all as long as my two favorite movies keep advancing but what is the plan for the final 5?

To be clear, I'm not vetoing Birdman.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 9523
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#1171

Post by sol » July 23rd, 2020, 2:55 pm

Onderhond wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 2:34 pm
sol wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 9:35 am
It will be interested in seeing what the more neutral voters do this round; voting for Grand Budapest Hotel to be cut might be a good way to flush out another veto.
I never expected you'd go so low sol!
What? :huh: Every time that I have voted for The Grand Budapest Hotel it is because I genuinely believe that it is the weakest of the remaining films.

All that I was speculating is a play on the mentality of participants here. Quite a few have participants have already admitted at various points that they haven't been voting for their least favourite film but rather whatever film that can get to leave the competition rather than Budapest Hotel in a single round. I don't think deliberately trying to flush out vetoes for the film is anything worse, and for anyone who doesn't want Budapest Hotel to come out #1, it would strategically make sense since you, jero and jeff are holding out on playing vetoes since you are all dedicated to its survival.

And yes, I know it's just a game and all. ;) I guess I am just getting a bit bored at this stage since it's obvious that Budapest Hotel is going to win and because it's not a film that I would have placed in the top quarter of contenders myself. :shrug: Just getting bored and all, that's all. Sorry. :(
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

toromash
Posts: 139
Joined: Sep 09, 2015
Contact:

#1172

Post by toromash » July 23rd, 2020, 2:55 pm

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) 8
The Grand Budapest Hotel 6

beasterne
Posts: 458
Joined: May 22, 2013
Contact:

#1173

Post by beasterne » July 23rd, 2020, 2:56 pm

jeroeno wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 2:43 pm
How are we dealing with the remaing vetoes? It looks we might have 4 vetoes left and only 5 (or 6) movies. I'm fine with not using my veto at all as long as my two favorite movies keep advancing but what is the plan for the final 5?
This is a really good question, because the answer will likely affect strategies pretty significantly.

I don't want to penalize players who saved their vetoes until the end by saying the vetoes are suddenly null and void at the final 5 or 4 or whatever with no warning, so vetoes can still be used until the final three, as I said earlier in the thread.

However, the one clarification we'll have to make is that if every single film is vetoed in a given round (4 movies left, and 4 vetoes are played), then all films will have to go back into the pool and we will have to rerun the vote. I can't think of any other way to resolve the scenario where every veto is played on every remaining film, because how else would we make progress in that scenario?

Maybe, as compensation to the veto holders for having a film still in danger of being cut in a round where they played a veto (which seems a little unfair), we could reward them with one additional vote for the revote? I'm just spitballing on that idea, I'd like to hear others thoughts on whether that would be necessary (or fair).

beasterne
Posts: 458
Joined: May 22, 2013
Contact:

#1174

Post by beasterne » July 23rd, 2020, 2:59 pm

sol wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 2:55 pm
And yes, I know it's just a game and all. ;) I guess I am just getting a bit bored at this stage since it's obvious that Budapest Hotel is going to win and because it's not a film that I would have placed in the top quarter of contenders myself. :shrug: Just getting bored and all, that's all. Sorry. :(
I wouldn't call it a done deal quite yet. It's been getting significantly more heat than several other films on the ballot, and I could see GBH being cut just short of the very top.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 9523
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#1175

Post by sol » July 23rd, 2020, 3:08 pm

beasterne wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 2:59 pm
sol wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 2:55 pm
And yes, I know it's just a game and all. ;) I guess I am just getting a bit bored at this stage since it's obvious that Budapest Hotel is going to win and because it's not a film that I would have placed in the top quarter of contenders myself. :shrug: Just getting bored and all, that's all. Sorry. :(
I wouldn't call it a done deal quite yet. It's been getting significantly more heat than several other films on the ballot, and I could see GBH being cut just short of the very top.
Well, if you prevent vetoes being used in the top 3 as you've mentioned then maybe, I don't know. This is just becoming a bit too repetitive for my taste at the moment, every round involving Budapest Hotel supporters swarming around to launch attacks on any film but that one. I kind of just want to start the next rankdown now and get it all over with, though I do appreciate your efforts to try keep things interesting.

Sorry if I sound grumpy after a tiring and stressful day at work. :( I do know it's just a game...
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1888
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#1176

Post by cinewest » July 23rd, 2020, 3:17 pm

sol wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 2:55 pm
Onderhond wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 2:34 pm
sol wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 9:35 am
It will be interested in seeing what the more neutral voters do this round; voting for Grand Budapest Hotel to be cut might be a good way to flush out another veto.
I never expected you'd go so low sol!
What? :huh: Every time that I have voted for The Grand Budapest Hotel it is because I genuinely believe that it is the weakest of the remaining films.

All that I was speculating is a play on the mentality of participants here. Quite a few have participants have already admitted at various points that they haven't been voting for their least favourite film but rather whatever film that can get to leave the competition rather than Budapest Hotel in a single round. I don't think deliberately trying to flush out vetoes for the film is anything worse, and for anyone who doesn't want Budapest Hotel to come out #1, it would strategically make sense since you, jero and jeff are holding out on playing vetoes since you are all dedicated to its survival.

And yes, I know it's just a game and all. ;) I guess I am just getting a bit bored at this stage since it's obvious that Budapest Hotel is going to win and because it's not a film that I would have placed in the top quarter of contenders myself. :shrug: Just getting bored and all, that's all. Sorry. :(
Though I think fairly highly of GBH, I can commiserate with the feeling that this rank down is a done deal. I'm not sure GBH will win, but I picked what I think the top 3 will be as soon as I joined the game at the start of the second knockout round.
That said, you have to give GBH fans credit for supporting their film through face-offs at the end of 3 different rounds, and anyone who voted for it that doesn't want it to win probably made a strategic error, especially with 3 golden opportunities to knock it out of the game.

User avatar
jeroeno
Posts: 3541
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
Location: Valkenswaard, The Netherlands
Contact:

#1177

Post by jeroeno » July 23rd, 2020, 3:21 pm

beasterne wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 2:59 pm
sol wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 2:55 pm
And yes, I know it's just a game and all. ;) I guess I am just getting a bit bored at this stage since it's obvious that Budapest Hotel is going to win and because it's not a film that I would have placed in the top quarter of contenders myself. :shrug: Just getting bored and all, that's all. Sorry. :(
I wouldn't call it a done deal quite yet. It's been getting significantly more heat than several other films on the ballot, and I could see GBH being cut just short of the very top.
It's not going to get cut before the final three though. As all four veto-holders voted against Birdman this vote-off we'll likely start the final five soon. It only needs to surivive two more round and at least two of the veto-holders are commited on keeping Grand Budapest in the game. It's a done deal.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 9523
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#1178

Post by sol » July 23rd, 2020, 3:28 pm

What jero said. With jeff (x1), Onderhond (x1) and jero (x2) all prepared to use a combined four vetoes in order to ensure Grand Budapest's survival, I don't know if it is mathematically possible for another film to win. I know beasterne has mentioned turning all leftover vetoes into extra votes, which I think would also only further the cause. The only real wild card is AB; not sure what he's saving his last veto for, but I don't think that could make any difference?
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

jeff_v
Posts: 1072
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Another Place
Contact:

#1179

Post by jeff_v » July 23rd, 2020, 3:32 pm

I don't want to talk my strategy while the game is still going, but let's not count our vetoes before they're hatched just yet.

User avatar
jeroeno
Posts: 3541
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
Location: Valkenswaard, The Netherlands
Contact:

#1180

Post by jeroeno » July 23rd, 2020, 3:33 pm

sol wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 3:28 pm
What jero said. With jeff (x1), Onderhond (x1) and jero (x2) all prepared to use a combined four vetoes in order to ensure Grand Budapest's survival, I don't know if it is mathematically possible for another film to win. I know beasterne has mentioned turning all leftover vetoes into extra votes, which I think would also only further the cause. The only real wild card is AB; not sure what he's saving his last veto for, but I don't think that could make any difference?
First of all, I only have 1 veto, not 2. Second, Grand Budapest is not my favorite movie left. I'm saving my veto for a far better movie. :shifty:

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 9523
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#1181

Post by sol » July 23rd, 2020, 3:43 pm

jeroeno wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 3:33 pm
First of all, I only have 1 veto, not 2. Second, Grand Budapest is not my favorite movie left. I'm saving my veto for a far better movie. :shifty:
Oh, oops - forgot that you saved Inglourious Basterds. :pinch: And oh, I like that shifty eyes emoticon, we'll see what happens; the game just seems a bit moribund at the moment. Could do with a surprise or two rather than these repeated Budapest resurrections and gang-ups to save it. :unsure:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 4832
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#1182

Post by OldAle1 » July 23rd, 2020, 3:51 pm

sol wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 3:43 pm
jeroeno wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 3:33 pm
First of all, I only have 1 veto, not 2. Second, Grand Budapest is not my favorite movie left. I'm saving my veto for a far better movie. :shifty:
Oh, oops - forgot that you saved Inglourious Basterds. :pinch: And oh, I like that shifty eyes emoticon, we'll see what happens; the game just seems a bit moribund at the moment. Could do with a surprise or two rather than these repeated Budapest resurrections and gang-ups to save it. :unsure:
It does seem very repetitive at the moment, yeah. Though I might predict that given I've had no help at all on Parasite, that might end up the dark horse winner, just as it did at the Oscars. GBH and Birdman are my 2nd/3rd favorites of those remaining, so this certainly wasn't the situation I wanted to see happen.

Smoover
Posts: 548
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#1183

Post by Smoover » July 23rd, 2020, 3:56 pm

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) 8
The Grand Budapest Hotel 7

blocho
Donator
Posts: 3502
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#1184

Post by blocho » July 23rd, 2020, 4:04 pm

Guys, just let the game play out. If things feel moribund (great word, by the way), watch a movie. Has no one ever suffered through one of those endless games of monopoly?

Nathan Treadway
Donator
Posts: 4279
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
Location: Springfield, MO, USA
Contact:

#1185

Post by Nathan Treadway » July 23rd, 2020, 4:08 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 3:51 pm
sol wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 3:43 pm
jeroeno wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 3:33 pm
First of all, I only have 1 veto, not 2. Second, Grand Budapest is not my favorite movie left. I'm saving my veto for a far better movie. :shifty:
Oh, oops - forgot that you saved Inglourious Basterds. :pinch: And oh, I like that shifty eyes emoticon, we'll see what happens; the game just seems a bit moribund at the moment. Could do with a surprise or two rather than these repeated Budapest resurrections and gang-ups to save it. :unsure:
It does seem very repetitive at the moment, yeah. Though I might predict that given I've had no help at all on Parasite, that might end up the dark horse winner, just as it did at the Oscars. GBH and Birdman are my 2nd/3rd favorites of those remaining, so this certainly wasn't the situation I wanted to see happen.
I thought I liked Parasite less than most others did... I had a very hard time getting into it, so, depending on how things play out, I'm doubtful I'd vote for it going on much further.

AB537
Posts: 1008
Joined: Apr 21, 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

#1186

Post by AB537 » July 23rd, 2020, 4:15 pm

A Serious Man 1
Her
The Grand Budapest Hotel
BlacKkKlansman
Parasite (Gisaengchung)

Back to A Serious Man - my lowest ranked film remaining.

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 4870
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#1187

Post by Onderhond » July 23rd, 2020, 4:15 pm

Extra vetoes for Top 3 could just become extra votes. Like in the real-life shows cinewest likes so much.

Also, funny to see reactions of people who aren't quite used to things going their way. I for one am having the time of my life 😁

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 9523
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#1188

Post by sol » July 23rd, 2020, 4:17 pm

We starting again already? OK.

A Serious Man 1
Her
The Grand Budapest Hotel 1
BlacKkKlansman
Parasite (Gisaengchung)

Back to The Grand Budapest Hotel - my lowest ranked film remaining.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 9523
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#1189

Post by sol » July 23rd, 2020, 4:18 pm

blocho wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 4:04 pm
Guys, just let the game play out. If things feel moribund (great word, by the way), watch a movie. Has no one ever suffered through one of those endless games of monopoly?
To be honest, I would tend to forfeit in those sorts of Monopoly games. tehe
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
shugs
Donator
Posts: 587
Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Contact:

#1190

Post by shugs » July 23rd, 2020, 4:24 pm

A Serious Man 1
Her
The Grand Budapest Hotel 2
BlacKkKlansman
Parasite (Gisaengchung)

jeff_v
Posts: 1072
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Another Place
Contact:

#1191

Post by jeff_v » July 23rd, 2020, 4:25 pm

A Serious Man 1
Her
The Grand Budapest Hotel 2
BlacKkKlansman 1
Parasite (Gisaengchung)

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30878
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#1192

Post by mightysparks » July 23rd, 2020, 4:27 pm

A Serious Man 1
Her
The Grand Budapest Hotel 2
BlacKkKlansman 2
Parasite (Gisaengchung)
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

beasterne
Posts: 458
Joined: May 22, 2013
Contact:

#1193

Post by beasterne » July 23rd, 2020, 4:31 pm

A Serious Man 1
Her
The Grand Budapest Hotel 2
BlacKkKlansman 3
Parasite (Gisaengchung)

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 4832
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#1194

Post by OldAle1 » July 23rd, 2020, 4:35 pm

A Serious Man 1
Her
The Grand Budapest Hotel 2
BlacKkKlansman 3
Parasite (Gisaengchung) 1

User avatar
jeroeno
Posts: 3541
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
Location: Valkenswaard, The Netherlands
Contact:

#1195

Post by jeroeno » July 23rd, 2020, 4:37 pm

A Serious Man 2
Her
The Grand Budapest Hotel 2
BlacKkKlansman 3
Parasite (Gisaengchung) 1

User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13645
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Contact:

#1196

Post by brokenface » July 23rd, 2020, 4:53 pm

A Serious Man 2
Her
The Grand Budapest Hotel 2
BlacKkKlansman 4
Parasite (Gisaengchung) 1

Smoover
Posts: 548
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#1197

Post by Smoover » July 23rd, 2020, 5:23 pm

A Serious Man 2
Her
The Grand Budapest Hotel 3
BlacKkKlansman 4
Parasite (Gisaengchung) 1

User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13645
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Contact:

#1198

Post by brokenface » July 23rd, 2020, 8:01 pm

sol wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 2:55 pm
And yes, I know it's just a game and all. ;) I guess I am just getting a bit bored at this stage since it's obvious that Budapest Hotel is going to win and because it's not a film that I would have placed in the top quarter of contenders myself. :shrug: Just getting bored and all, that's all. Sorry. :(
I can see this last round would be frustrating for the Grand Budapest voters. It's kinda the nature of doing this round by round rather than a one and done ranking - people aren't really going to change their minds on films, and there's only so much you can do tactically.

What could be cool if the final round was done like this but rapidly, if everyone online at once for an hour or two. Not sure if would be practical

toromash
Posts: 139
Joined: Sep 09, 2015
Contact:

#1199

Post by toromash » July 23rd, 2020, 8:27 pm

A Serious Man 2
Her
The Grand Budapest Hotel 4
BlacKkKlansman 4
Parasite (Gisaengchung) 1

blocho
Donator
Posts: 3502
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#1200

Post by blocho » July 23rd, 2020, 8:34 pm

A Serious Man 2
Her
The Grand Budapest Hotel 5
BlacKkKlansman 4
Parasite (Gisaengchung) 1

Post Reply