Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 4 released May 26th)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A: Poland vs Mexico (Jun 4th), Match 2B: Tajikistan vs Italy (Jun 14th)

AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies Rankdown (Round 7, #46-#36)

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Post Reply
User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13436
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Contact:

Re: AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies Rankdown (Round 2, #90-#83)

#161

Post by brokenface » May 14th, 2020, 11:43 am

OldAle1 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 11:40 am
cinewest wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 3:02 am

To me the game is playing out more like a season of Survivor than like serious assessment of cinema (or actual survival skills)
Well duh, it's a silly game. To be fair, I've never played any of these kinds of games myself - and the CFB used to have them all the time. The only reason this is interesting at all, and the only reason I'll play in the future, is that people are asked to give reasons for their choices, and that at least over time gives a sense of who the people are that are playing, what their prejudices and soft spots are. And the chance for some low humor which is always good. :P
Wait, what? I thought this thread was going to be published in an academic journal :folded:

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 4344
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#162

Post by OldAle1 » May 14th, 2020, 12:03 pm

brokenface wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 11:43 am
OldAle1 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 11:40 am
cinewest wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 3:02 am

To me the game is playing out more like a season of Survivor than like serious assessment of cinema (or actual survival skills)
Well duh, it's a silly game. To be fair, I've never played any of these kinds of games myself - and the CFB used to have them all the time. The only reason this is interesting at all, and the only reason I'll play in the future, is that people are asked to give reasons for their choices, and that at least over time gives a sense of who the people are that are playing, what their prejudices and soft spots are. And the chance for some low humor which is always good. :P
Wait, what? I thought this thread was going to be published in an academic journal :folded:
Given the direction that film criticism is going in, and education and the arts in general in your country and mine (and some others), I wouldn't be surprised actually...

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 8404
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#163

Post by sol » May 14th, 2020, 12:09 pm

Thought of the day: I think this game would be a lot better without the vetos. It would be a much more honest/true representation of our least disliked films from the list. :shrug:
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1401
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#164

Post by cinewest » May 14th, 2020, 1:42 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 11:40 am
cinewest wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 3:02 am

To me the game is playing out more like a season of Survivor than like serious assessment of cinema (or actual survival skills)
Well duh, it's a silly game. To be fair, I've never played any of these kinds of games myself - and the CFB used to have them all the time. The only reason this is interesting at all, and the only reason I'll play in the future, is that people are asked to give reasons for their choices, and that at least over time gives a sense of who the people are that are playing, what their prejudices and soft spots are. And the chance for some low humor which is always good. :P
Yes, I suppose there are reasons for liking or disliking anything, or making any decision, and what kind of a show would Survivor be without all the player commentary, or reasoning. One thing this game is not about, though, is what people feel is the "least deserving" film on the list at any point in time. Otherwise a bunch of others would be gone before some of the films that have been mentioned, or I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy
Last edited by cinewest on May 14th, 2020, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beasterne
Posts: 280
Joined: May 22, 2013
Contact:

#165

Post by beasterne » May 14th, 2020, 1:47 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 11:40 am
cinewest wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 3:02 am

To me the game is playing out more like a season of Survivor than like serious assessment of cinema (or actual survival skills)
Well duh, it's a silly game. To be fair, I've never played any of these kinds of games myself - and the CFB used to have them all the time. The only reason this is interesting at all, and the only reason I'll play in the future, is that people are asked to give reasons for their choices, and that at least over time gives a sense of who the people are that are playing, what their prejudices and soft spots are. And the chance for some low humor which is always good. :P
This is definitely silly, and even more chaotic than Survivor. In this game one person wields all the power, with vetoes providing some balance against that power, but only some. And vetoes are also individual, so the game really is the opposite of consensus list-making. This format *could* lead to a finale filled with safe choices, but only time will tell.

Also on the topic of low humor, jeroeno still has my favorite comment from the thread with his Forrest Gump quip :lol:

sol wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 12:09 pm
Thought of the day: I think this game would be a lot better without the vetos. It would be a much more honest/true representation of our least disliked films from the list. :shrug:
Definitely an interesting idea. I personally like the vetoes because they encourage players to be strategic with the films they cut, and also give other players some ability to protect their favorites. But maybe they wind up doing more harm than good in the final product--hard to say!

User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13436
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Contact:

#166

Post by brokenface » May 14th, 2020, 1:51 pm

I think the vetoes are good. Adds a bit a balance/strategy, otherwise one person's irrational dislike is the final word :P

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 4344
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#167

Post by OldAle1 » May 14th, 2020, 1:52 pm

cinewest wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 1:42 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 11:40 am
cinewest wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 3:02 am

To me the game is playing out more like a season of Survivor than like serious assessment of cinema (or actual survival skills)
Well duh, it's a silly game. To be fair, I've never played any of these kinds of games myself - and the CFB used to have them all the time. The only reason this is interesting at all, and the only reason I'll play in the future, is that people are asked to give reasons for their choices, and that at least over time gives a sense of who the people are that are playing, what their prejudices and soft spots are. And the chance for some low humor which is always good. :P
Yes, I suppose there are reasons for liking or disliking anything, or making any decision, and what kind of a show would Survivor be without all the player commentary, or reasoning. One thing this game is not about, though, is what people feel is the "least deserving" film on the list at any point in time. Do we agree?
I dunno about that. I think some people are picking the films they feel are least deserving - of course the veto can annul that, but still I think that by and large the films that have been voted off so far have fairly significant camps of haters or at least non-admirers. If I'd played I'd have either picked Lawrence of Arabia - because it is not an American film at all and shouldn't be on any AFI lists - or Saving Ryan's Privates which is probably my least-favorite film on the list. And while my opinion and statistics for the list are probably almost exactly the opposite of Onderhond's - I have about half the list favorited and no actual "dislikes" (rated 4 or less on IMDb) - I certainly would have no trouble picking films that I don't think are among the best American features ever made, which is what the list is theoretically supposed to reflect.

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 4344
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#168

Post by OldAle1 » May 14th, 2020, 1:57 pm

beasterne wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 1:47 pm
This format *could* lead to a finale filled with safe choices, but only time will tell.

I don't think there's any doubt about that, but that's the nature of the initial list itself - every film on the list is well-known and while many were ground-breaking at the time (Citizen Kane, Vertigo, 2001, Bonnie and Clyde stand out) you can't call any of them avant-garde or bizarre choices to be on lots of lists anymore.

The only way to have something really interesting as the end result in a game like this would be to pick a list with some really strange and somewhat less-known films, and then of course you would find it difficult to find players who had seen everything or almost everything. I mean, a rankdown based on Onderhond's or matthewscott's top 100s would be pretty interesting but very few people would have seen even half of the films, maybe even a quarter.

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 3956
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#169

Post by Onderhond » May 14th, 2020, 2:25 pm

Chiming in on the vetoes, I like them, but I think 1 would be better than 2. Makes it a bit more edgy and more meaningful if one is used.

Also, I don't think my USA Top 100 (well, 78 for now) would be that weird for most. As it turns out, USA films seldomly remain underseen!

AB537
Posts: 758
Joined: Apr 21, 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

#170

Post by AB537 » May 14th, 2020, 3:12 pm

Onderhond wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 2:25 pm
Chiming in on the vetoes, I like them, but I think 1 would be better than 2. Makes it a bit more edgy and more meaningful if one is used.
Not that I'm playing in this particular round, but I agree that things would flow better with 1 veto instead of 2.

I'm definitely finding the balance of cutting weak films vs. more aggressive cuts to be interesting. If I was in the game and looking to drop weak entries, Yankee Doodle Dandy certainly jumps to mind immediately; on the edgier side, my personal inclination would be The Deer Hunter or The Searchers.

blocho
Donator
Posts: 3070
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#171

Post by blocho » May 14th, 2020, 4:09 pm

cinewest wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 3:02 am
To me the game is playing out more like a season of Survivor than like serious assessment of cinema (or actual survival skills)
Wow, I was just thinking about this yesterday. What if we voted someone out of the group each round! Then it would really devolve into an endless sequence of backbiting and subversion!

(To be clear, I'm joking and this is not a serious proposal. I just think it would be funny how badly things would go.)

jeff_v
Posts: 997
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Another Place
Contact:

#172

Post by jeff_v » May 14th, 2020, 4:11 pm

Whose turn is it?

beasterne
Posts: 280
Joined: May 22, 2013
Contact:

#173

Post by beasterne » May 14th, 2020, 4:51 pm

Round 3 has begun!

toromash is up first :)

mathiasa
Posts: 2518
Joined: Aug 18, 2013
Contact:

#174

Post by mathiasa » May 14th, 2020, 6:48 pm

also pro veto.
but it should be possible to veto the veto. That would make strategy even more fun.

Just seen Sophie‘s Choice. What a turd. At least I‘m now platinum.

toromash
Posts: 87
Joined: Sep 09, 2015
Contact:

#175

Post by toromash » May 14th, 2020, 7:12 pm

I will go with Unforgiven. This was one of the first classic IMDB top films i saw, which was many years ago. I had to visit IMDB, because i couldn't remember what it was about, except that good old Clint was angry and had that serious face. I actually didn't learn anything by reading the synopsis. Needs a rewatch, but for now this decision will do

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 4344
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#176

Post by OldAle1 » May 14th, 2020, 7:23 pm

Onderhond wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 2:25 pm
Chiming in on the vetoes, I like them, but I think 1 would be better than 2. Makes it a bit more edgy and more meaningful if one is used.

Also, I don't think my USA Top 100 (well, 78 for now) would be that weird for most. As it turns out, USA films seldomly remain underseen!
I've actually seen more than half of that list, but being the generous viewer/rater that I am (or just being an uncritical moron, which I suspect is the way most people here and elsewhere view me - hating everything is the norm) I actually only find about 10 dislikes. Unfortunately there aren't that many films in the remaining half of the list that look all that interesting, or they're films that I want to see but expect to be bad, like Gamer which looks like a good fit for the next time I want a terrible action movie night (I had one last night, so probably not for a while). Lots of films I haven't heard of there including two of your top five.

AB537
Posts: 758
Joined: Apr 21, 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

#177

Post by AB537 » May 14th, 2020, 9:19 pm

Onderhond wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 2:25 pm
Also, I don't think my USA Top 100 (well, 78 for now) would be that weird for most. As it turns out, USA films seldomly remain underseen!
Thanks for sharing this. I've seen maybe 40% of this list and like a bunch of the ones you've highlighted. Hopefully I can find some more of these on Amazon, Netflix etc. This also gives me a much better frame of reference for your taste, given my familiarity with a reasonable amount of the list.

blocho
Donator
Posts: 3070
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#178

Post by blocho » May 14th, 2020, 11:52 pm

The order below in case anyone, like me, forgot it. Sol's turn.

1. toromash
2. sol
3. Onderhond
4. jeff_v
5. jeroeno
6. jvv
7. brokenface
8. beasterne
9. blocho
10. mightysparks
11. mathiasa

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 8404
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#179

Post by sol » May 15th, 2020, 8:47 am

The Sixth Sense. Some films improve upon revision, knowing all the twists and turns to come. Others completely fall apart - and this one belongs in the latter category. I think I have actually seen this three or four times over the years after being encouraged to try it again, but it really doesn't work; so many scenes (especially some of the stuff that Osment tells Willis early on) makes absolutely no sense given what is revealed at the end.

AFI moviesShow
1. Citizen Kane
2. The Godfather
3. Casablanca
4. Raging Bull
5. Singin' in the Rain
6. Gone with the Wind
7. Lawrence of Arabia
8. Schindler's List
9. Vertigo
10. The Wizard of Oz
11. City Lights
12. The Searchers
13. Star Wars
14. Psycho
15. 2001: A Space Odyssey
16. Sunset Blvd.
17. The Graduate
18. The General
19. On the Waterfront
20. It's a Wonderful Life
21. Chinatown
22. Some Like It Hot
23. The Grapes of Wrath
24. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
25. To Kill a Mockingbird
26. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
27. High Noon
28. All About Eve
29. Double Indemnity
30. Apocalypse Now
31. The Maltese Falcon
32. The Godfather: Part II
33. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
34. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
35. Annie Hall
36. The Bridge on the River Kwai
37. The Best Years of Our Lives
38. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
39. Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
40. The Sound of Music
41. King Kong
42. Bonnie and Clyde
43. Midnight Cowboy
44. The Philadelphia Story
45. Shane
46. It Happened One Night
47. A Streetcar Named Desire
48. Rear Window
49. Intolerance: Love's Struggle throughout the Ages
50. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
51. West Side Story
52. Taxi Driver
53. The Deer Hunter
54. MASH
55. North by Northwest
56. Jaws
57. Rocky
58. The Gold Rush
59. Nashville
60. Duck Soup
61. Sullivan's Travels
62. American Graffiti
63. Cabaret
64. Network
65. The African Queen
66. Raiders of the Lost Ark
67. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
68. Unforgiven
69. Tootsie
70. A Clockwork Orange
71. Saving Private Ryan
72. The Shawshank Redemption
73. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
74. The Silence of the Lambs
75. In the Heat of the Night
76. Forrest Gump
77. All the President's Men
78. Modern Times
79. The Wild Bunch
80. The Apartment
81. Spartacus
82. Sunrise: A Song of Two Human
83. Titanic
84. Easy Rider
85. A Night at the Opera
86. Platoon
87. 12 Angry Men
88. Bringing up Baby
89. The Sixth Sense
90. Swing Time
91. Sophie's Choice
92. Goodfellas
93. The French Connection
94. Pulp Fiction
95. The Last Picture Show
96. Do the Right Thing
97. Blade Runner
98. Yankee Doodle Dandy
99. Toy Story
100. Ben-Hur
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 3956
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#180

Post by Onderhond » May 15th, 2020, 9:32 am

I'm going to go with 12 Angry Men

(0.5*) - Almost plays like a fairy tale. Everything is done in function is this one solid point that just has to be made. Characters feel wooden and act forced to get to that point, it lacks the genre fun of a good fairy tale and the point it tries to make isn't even all that interesting. This one bored me to death. And all that effort is pretty much for naught too, because ultimately few films make an actual impact on society. 12 Angry Men and its point certainly didn't.
AFI moviesShow
1. Citizen Kane
2. The Godfather
3. Casablanca
4. Raging Bull
5. Singin' in the Rain
6. Gone with the Wind
7. Lawrence of Arabia
8. Schindler's List
9. Vertigo
10. The Wizard of Oz
11. City Lights
12. The Searchers
13. Star Wars
14. Psycho
15. 2001: A Space Odyssey
16. Sunset Blvd.
17. The Graduate
18. The General
19. On the Waterfront
20. It's a Wonderful Life
21. Chinatown
22. Some Like It Hot
23. The Grapes of Wrath
24. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
25. To Kill a Mockingbird
26. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
27. High Noon
28. All About Eve
29. Double Indemnity
30. Apocalypse Now
31. The Maltese Falcon
32. The Godfather: Part II
33. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
34. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
35. Annie Hall
36. The Bridge on the River Kwai
37. The Best Years of Our Lives
38. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
39. Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
40. The Sound of Music
41. King Kong
42. Bonnie and Clyde
43. Midnight Cowboy
44. The Philadelphia Story
45. Shane
46. It Happened One Night
47. A Streetcar Named Desire
48. Rear Window
49. Intolerance: Love's Struggle throughout the Ages
50. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
51. West Side Story
52. Taxi Driver
53. The Deer Hunter
54. MASH
55. North by Northwest
56. Jaws
57. Rocky
58. The Gold Rush
59. Nashville
60. Duck Soup
61. Sullivan's Travels
62. American Graffiti
63. Cabaret
64. Network
65. The African Queen
66. Raiders of the Lost Ark
67. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
68. Unforgiven
69. Tootsie
70. A Clockwork Orange
71. Saving Private Ryan
72. The Shawshank Redemption
73. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
74. The Silence of the Lambs
75. In the Heat of the Night
76. Forrest Gump
77. All the President's Men
78. Modern Times
79. The Wild Bunch
80. The Apartment
81. Spartacus
82. Sunrise: A Song of Two Human
83. Titanic
84. Easy Rider
85. A Night at the Opera
86. Platoon
87. 12 Angry Men
88. Bringing up Baby
89. The Sixth Sense
90. Swing Time
91. Sophie's Choice
92. Goodfellas
93. The French Connection
94. Pulp Fiction
95. The Last Picture Show
96. Do the Right Thing
97. Blade Runner
98. Yankee Doodle Dandy
99. Toy Story
100. Ben-Hur

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1401
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#181

Post by cinewest » May 15th, 2020, 10:46 am

Don't know what happened....
Last edited by cinewest on May 15th, 2020, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1401
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#182

Post by cinewest » May 15th, 2020, 10:46 am

doubled up by accident, as usual

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1401
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#183

Post by cinewest » May 15th, 2020, 10:50 am

Onderhond the Slayer!

Have to admit, I don't quite get how 12 Angry Men has become a favorite on a board of cinephiles.

Looking at the list of early cuts, though I am very surprised by a few that deserved better, the only one I probably would have vetoed is The Godfather, which was so well done compared to so many of those that remain.

Would some real man step up an axe Titanic, please?

User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 10718
Joined: May 06, 2011
Contact:

#184

Post by St. Gloede » May 15th, 2020, 11:23 am

12 Angry Men is an interesting one: I remember some members even being absolutely furious the year it won our own Top 1000 poll, as, in their view, it propelled what is essentially a filmed play into the greatest/most liked example of cinema. I understand why it can seem like a slap in the face. You have the world of cinematic potential and expression, and this gets slapped to the ground by something which at first glance does nothing with the medium. It could easily be seen slap in the face of cinema as a whole.

However, while 12 Angry Men certainly sparks controversy and debates between those who value "narrative" and those who value "cinematic art" (as if these were binaries), a lot of things get lost. I think we'll be making a mistake in thinking that a one room, dialog driven narrative cannot be strong as cinema. The atmosphere and tension brought to the story really showcases the amount of minute details and expert filmmaking on display. The below is a pretty fantastic look at just how cinematically accomplished the film actually is:



(Having said that, I would not place it among my very top favourites, but it is a film that essentially everyone, almost regardless taste and framework, can find something in to love - and that is likely also why it keeps topping so many consensus polls).

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 3956
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#185

Post by Onderhond » May 15th, 2020, 12:24 pm

It's still just a matter of preference. Watching that video, the first thing said about acting is actually one of the things that irks me about the film. Body language doesn't necessarily mean broad gestures and heightened emotions. As a fan of Japanese drama, I like it way more when it's subtle shifts in positions, looks or very tiny gestures that tells just as big a story. For a serious film, I think the acting shown is distracting, forced and unpleasant.

User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 10718
Joined: May 06, 2011
Contact:

#186

Post by St. Gloede » May 15th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Well of course, all art is subjective, I was replying to Cinewest pointing out that it was kinda peculiar to see 12 Angry Men find so much love on a board of cinephile.

AB537
Posts: 758
Joined: Apr 21, 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

#187

Post by AB537 » May 15th, 2020, 12:39 pm

I understand why 12 Angry Men does well in consensus polls, but have to admit I've also always been a bit mystified as to how it consistently shows up at the very top of this forum's overall favourites list. I think it's a great film, but nowhere near #2 all time, and it seems a bit out of place to me in the top 10-15 at least in our annual poll.

If I were playing in this game, the only cuts I'd have considered vetoing so far would be The Godfather and North by Northwest.

User avatar
cinewest
Posts: 1401
Joined: Feb 15, 2017
Contact:

#188

Post by cinewest » May 15th, 2020, 12:50 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 11:23 am
12 Angry Men is an interesting one: I remember some members even being absolutely furious the year it won our own Top 1000 poll, as, in their view, it propelled what is essentially a filmed play into the greatest/most liked example of cinema. I understand why it can seem like a slap in the face. You have the world of cinematic potential and expression, and this gets slapped to the ground by something which at first glance does nothing with the medium. It could easily be seen slap in the face of cinema as a whole.

However, while 12 Angry Men certainly sparks controversy and debates between those who value "narrative" and those who value "cinematic art" (as if these were binaries), a lot of things get lost. I think we'll be making a mistake in thinking that a one room, dialog driven narrative cannot be strong as cinema. The atmosphere and tension brought to the story really showcases the amount of minute details and expert filmmaking on display. The below is a pretty fantastic look at just how cinematically accomplished the film actually is:



(Having said that, I would not place it among my very top favourites, but it is a film that essentially everyone, almost regardless taste and framework, can find something in to love - and that is likely also why it keeps topping so many consensus polls).
Yes, you are right, St., but while Lumet is a very solid craftsman, great cinema is more than that to me. I like a lot of his films, even 12 Angry Men, and would probably include several among my yearly top 20's, though none really approaches being a top ten film for me, let alone top 100 all time. I also agree with Underhand, here that the performances tend toward being over theatrical, which while fine for the theater come off a bit overdone on film
Last edited by cinewest on May 15th, 2020, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 10718
Joined: May 06, 2011
Contact:

#189

Post by St. Gloede » May 15th, 2020, 12:54 pm

Oh yes, from a personal standpoint I agree 100%.

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 4344
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#190

Post by OldAle1 » May 15th, 2020, 1:17 pm

AB537 wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 12:39 pm
I understand why 12 Angry Men does well in consensus polls, but have to admit I've also always been a bit mystified as to how it consistently shows up at the very top of this forum's overall favourites list. I think it's a great film, but nowhere near #2 all time, and it seems a bit out of place to me in the top 10-15 at least in our annual poll.

If I were playing in this game, the only cuts I'd have considered vetoing so far would be The Godfather and North by Northwest.
Yeah I'm right there with you. To be fair I haven't seen it in a long time - and the other film from that era, also a message film, that sticks in my mind exactly the same way is To Kill a Mockingbird, also a fine film but... among the very, very greatest ever?

beasterne
Posts: 280
Joined: May 22, 2013
Contact:

#191

Post by beasterne » May 15th, 2020, 1:57 pm

A titan of this forum goes down in Round 3! Like others have said, 12 Angry Men is a fine movie in my estimation, it's well made and well acted, but it's not one of my favorites. But given that it placed #2 on our forum favorites poll just a couple months ago, I wouldn't be surprised to see it vetoed here...

The Sixth Sense got cut too.

jeff_v is next, then jeroeno and jvv!

User avatar
jeroeno
Posts: 3362
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
Location: Valkenswaard, The Netherlands
Contact:

#192

Post by jeroeno » May 15th, 2020, 3:08 pm

12 Angry Men has the Shawshank problem where nobody really thinks it's the best movie ever made but on the other hand nobody seems to hate it (except for Onderhond off course). I think it's a great story for a play that does surprisingly well on film and is very rewatchable. For that reason I will use my first veto to save 12 Angry Men from Onderhond's wrath.

jeff_v
Posts: 997
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Another Place
Contact:

#193

Post by jeff_v » May 15th, 2020, 3:10 pm

Ok, let's nix Ben-Hur, which, chariot race aside, is a slog. It has camp value, but appears on these lists only because it amassed a ridiculous number of Oscars.
SpoilerShow
1. Citizen Kane
2. The Godfather
3. Casablanca
4. Raging Bull
5. Singin' in the Rain
6. Gone with the Wind
7. Lawrence of Arabia
8. Schindler's List
9. Vertigo
10. The Wizard of Oz
11. City Lights
12. The Searchers
13. Star Wars
14. Psycho
15. 2001: A Space Odyssey
16. Sunset Blvd.
17. The Graduate
18. The General
19. On the Waterfront
20. It's a Wonderful Life
21. Chinatown
22. Some Like It Hot
23. The Grapes of Wrath
24. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
25. To Kill a Mockingbird
26. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
27. High Noon
28. All About Eve
29. Double Indemnity
30. Apocalypse Now
31. The Maltese Falcon
32. The Godfather: Part II
33. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
34. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
35. Annie Hall
36. The Bridge on the River Kwai
37. The Best Years of Our Lives
38. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
39. Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
40. The Sound of Music
41. King Kong
42. Bonnie and Clyde
43. Midnight Cowboy
44. The Philadelphia Story
45. Shane
46. It Happened One Night
47. A Streetcar Named Desire
48. Rear Window
49. Intolerance: Love's Struggle throughout the Ages
50. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
51. West Side Story
52. Taxi Driver
53. The Deer Hunter
54. MASH
55. North by Northwest

56. Jaws
57. Rocky
58. The Gold Rush
59. Nashville
60. Duck Soup
61. Sullivan's Travels
62. American Graffiti
63. Cabaret
64. Network
65. The African Queen
66. Raiders of the Lost Ark
67. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
68. Unforgiven
69. Tootsie
70. A Clockwork Orange
71. Saving Private Ryan
72. The Shawshank Redemption
73. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
74. The Silence of the Lambs
75. In the Heat of the Night
76. Forrest Gump
77. All the President's Men
78. Modern Times
79. The Wild Bunch
80. The Apartment
81. Spartacus
82. Sunrise: A Song of Two Human
83. Titanic
84. Easy Rider
85. A Night at the Opera
86. Platoon
87. 12 Angry Men
88. Bringing up Baby
89. The Sixth Sense
90. Swing Time
91. Sophie's Choice
92. Goodfellas
93. The French Connection
94. Pulp Fiction
95. The Last Picture Show
96. Do the Right Thing
97. Blade Runner
98. Yankee Doodle Dandy
99. Toy Story
100. Ben-Hur
Last edited by jeff_v on May 15th, 2020, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeff_v
Posts: 997
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: Another Place
Contact:

#194

Post by jeff_v » May 15th, 2020, 3:10 pm

Also, if someone can tell me how to copy the spoiler list while retaining the strikethroughs so I don't have to manually add them back, that'd be great.

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 4344
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#195

Post by OldAle1 » May 15th, 2020, 3:17 pm

jeff_v wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 3:10 pm
Ok, let's nix Ben-Hur, which, chariot race aside, is a slog. It has camp value, but appears on these lists only because it amassed a ridiculous number of Oscars.
SpoilerShow
1. Citizen Kane
2. The Godfather
3. Casablanca
4. Raging Bull
5. Singin' in the Rain
6. Gone with the Wind
7. Lawrence of Arabia
8. Schindler's List
9. Vertigo
10. The Wizard of Oz
11. City Lights
12. The Searchers
13. Star Wars
14. Psycho
15. 2001: A Space Odyssey
16. Sunset Blvd.
17. The Graduate
18. The General
19. On the Waterfront
20. It's a Wonderful Life
21. Chinatown
22. Some Like It Hot
23. The Grapes of Wrath
24. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
25. To Kill a Mockingbird
26. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
27. High Noon
28. All About Eve
29. Double Indemnity
30. Apocalypse Now
31. The Maltese Falcon
32. The Godfather: Part II
33. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
34. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
35. Annie Hall
36. The Bridge on the River Kwai
37. The Best Years of Our Lives
38. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
39. Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
40. The Sound of Music
41. King Kong
42. Bonnie and Clyde
43. Midnight Cowboy
44. The Philadelphia Story
45. Shane
46. It Happened One Night
47. A Streetcar Named Desire
48. Rear Window
49. Intolerance: Love's Struggle throughout the Ages
50. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
51. West Side Story
52. Taxi Driver
53. The Deer Hunter
54. MASH
55. North by Northwest

56. Jaws
57. Rocky
58. The Gold Rush
59. Nashville
60. Duck Soup
61. Sullivan's Travels
62. American Graffiti
63. Cabaret
64. Network
65. The African Queen
66. Raiders of the Lost Ark
67. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
68. Unforgiven
69. Tootsie
70. A Clockwork Orange
71. Saving Private Ryan
72. The Shawshank Redemption
73. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
74. The Silence of the Lambs
75. In the Heat of the Night
76. Forrest Gump
77. All the President's Men
78. Modern Times
79. The Wild Bunch
80. The Apartment
81. Spartacus
82. Sunrise: A Song of Two Human
83. Titanic
84. Easy Rider
85. A Night at the Opera
86. Platoon
87. 12 Angry Men
88. Bringing up Baby
89. The Sixth Sense
90. Swing Time
91. Sophie's Choice
92. Goodfellas
93. The French Connection
94. Pulp Fiction
95. The Last Picture Show
96. Do the Right Thing
97. Blade Runner
98. Yankee Doodle Dandy
99. Toy Story
100. Ben-Hur
I probably like Ben-Hur more than most here, because I probably like all those Biblical epics more than most. But it's still not that great; to my mind there's exactly one great film of this type from the golden age for such flicks (1949-66) and that's The Egyptian (1954) which I really need to flog more - 0 lists, just over 100 checks. And even that film isn't one of the 100 greatest American films, maybe not one of the 500. God these AFI lists really do suck.

blocho
Donator
Posts: 3070
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#196

Post by blocho » May 15th, 2020, 3:26 pm

jeff_v wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 3:10 pm
Also, if someone can tell me how to copy the spoiler list while retaining the strikethroughs so I don't have to manually add them back, that'd be great.
- Go back to the last post that contained the spoiler.
- Press the quote icon for that post.
- Copy the spoiler list.
- Make an entirely new post and paste the spoiler list at the bottom.

I agree on Ben-Hur. Great chariot scene, one of the best action sequences I've ever seen, but mediocre otherwise.

User avatar
jeroeno
Posts: 3362
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
Location: Valkenswaard, The Netherlands
Contact:

#197

Post by jeroeno » May 15th, 2020, 4:23 pm

Next cut is Sophie's Choice

Some great acting by Streep and Kline but all in all I found it an extremely boring romantic drama. It could've been so much better as a European movie with a more realistic view on the holocaust.
SpoilerShow
1. Citizen Kane
2. The Godfather
3. Casablanca
4. Raging Bull
5. Singin' in the Rain
6. Gone with the Wind
7. Lawrence of Arabia
8. Schindler's List
9. Vertigo
10. The Wizard of Oz
11. City Lights
12. The Searchers
13. Star Wars
14. Psycho
15. 2001: A Space Odyssey
16. Sunset Blvd.
17. The Graduate
18. The General
19. On the Waterfront
20. It's a Wonderful Life
21. Chinatown
22. Some Like It Hot
23. The Grapes of Wrath
24. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
25. To Kill a Mockingbird
26. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
27. High Noon
28. All About Eve
29. Double Indemnity
30. Apocalypse Now
31. The Maltese Falcon
32. The Godfather: Part II
33. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
34. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
35. Annie Hall
36. The Bridge on the River Kwai
37. The Best Years of Our Lives
38. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
39. Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
40. The Sound of Music
41. King Kong
42. Bonnie and Clyde
43. Midnight Cowboy
44. The Philadelphia Story
45. Shane
46. It Happened One Night
47. A Streetcar Named Desire
48. Rear Window
49. Intolerance: Love's Struggle throughout the Ages
50. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
51. West Side Story
52. Taxi Driver
53. The Deer Hunter
54. MASH
55. North by Northwest

56. Jaws
57. Rocky
58. The Gold Rush
59. Nashville
60. Duck Soup
61. Sullivan's Travels
62. American Graffiti
63. Cabaret
64. Network
65. The African Queen
66. Raiders of the Lost Ark
67. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
68. Unforgiven
69. Tootsie
70. A Clockwork Orange
71. Saving Private Ryan
72. The Shawshank Redemption
73. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
74. The Silence of the Lambs
75. In the Heat of the Night
76. Forrest Gump
77. All the President's Men
78. Modern Times
79. The Wild Bunch
80. The Apartment
81. Spartacus
82. Sunrise: A Song of Two Human
83. Titanic
84. Easy Rider
85. A Night at the Opera
86. Platoon
87. 12 Angry Men
88. Bringing up Baby
89. The Sixth Sense
90. Swing Time
91. Sophie's Choice
92. Goodfellas
93. The French Connection
94. Pulp Fiction
95. The Last Picture Show
96. Do the Right Thing
97. Blade Runner
98. Yankee Doodle Dandy
99. Toy Story
100. Ben-Hur

User avatar
jvv
Donator
Posts: 8604
Joined: May 28, 2011
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#198

Post by jvv » May 15th, 2020, 4:31 pm

My cut is Bringing up Baby. Comedy is very personal and I didn't find this very funny.

SpoilerShow
1. Citizen Kane
2. The Godfather
3. Casablanca
4. Raging Bull
5. Singin' in the Rain
6. Gone with the Wind
7. Lawrence of Arabia
8. Schindler's List
9. Vertigo
10. The Wizard of Oz
11. City Lights
12. The Searchers
13. Star Wars
14. Psycho
15. 2001: A Space Odyssey
16. Sunset Blvd.
17. The Graduate
18. The General
19. On the Waterfront
20. It's a Wonderful Life
21. Chinatown
22. Some Like It Hot
23. The Grapes of Wrath
24. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
25. To Kill a Mockingbird
26. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
27. High Noon
28. All About Eve
29. Double Indemnity
30. Apocalypse Now
31. The Maltese Falcon
32. The Godfather: Part II
33. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
34. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
35. Annie Hall
36. The Bridge on the River Kwai
37. The Best Years of Our Lives
38. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
39. Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
40. The Sound of Music
41. King Kong
42. Bonnie and Clyde
43. Midnight Cowboy
44. The Philadelphia Story
45. Shane
46. It Happened One Night
47. A Streetcar Named Desire
48. Rear Window
49. Intolerance: Love's Struggle throughout the Ages
50. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
51. West Side Story
52. Taxi Driver
53. The Deer Hunter
54. MASH
55. North by Northwest

56. Jaws
57. Rocky
58. The Gold Rush
59. Nashville
60. Duck Soup
61. Sullivan's Travels
62. American Graffiti
63. Cabaret
64. Network
65. The African Queen
66. Raiders of the Lost Ark
67. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
68. Unforgiven
69. Tootsie
70. A Clockwork Orange
71. Saving Private Ryan
72. The Shawshank Redemption
73. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
74. The Silence of the Lambs
75. In the Heat of the Night
76. Forrest Gump
77. All the President's Men
78. Modern Times
79. The Wild Bunch
80. The Apartment
81. Spartacus
82. Sunrise: A Song of Two Human
83. Titanic
84. Easy Rider
85. A Night at the Opera
86. Platoon
87. 12 Angry Men
88. Bringing up Baby
89. The Sixth Sense
90. Swing Time
91. Sophie's Choice
92. Goodfellas
93. The French Connection
94. Pulp Fiction
95. The Last Picture Show
96. Do the Right Thing
97. Blade Runner
98. Yankee Doodle Dandy
99. Toy Story
100. Ben-Hur

mathiasa
Posts: 2518
Joined: Aug 18, 2013
Contact:

#199

Post by mathiasa » May 15th, 2020, 4:53 pm

jeroeno wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 4:23 pm
Next cut is Sophie's Choice

Some great acting by Streep and Kline but all in all I found it an extremely boring romantic drama. It could've been so much better as a European movie with a more realistic view on the holocaust.
SpoilerShow
1. Citizen Kane
2. The Godfather
3. Casablanca
4. Raging Bull
5. Singin' in the Rain
6. Gone with the Wind
7. Lawrence of Arabia
8. Schindler's List
9. Vertigo
10. The Wizard of Oz
11. City Lights
12. The Searchers
13. Star Wars
14. Psycho
15. 2001: A Space Odyssey
16. Sunset Blvd.
17. The Graduate
18. The General
19. On the Waterfront
20. It's a Wonderful Life
21. Chinatown
22. Some Like It Hot
23. The Grapes of Wrath
24. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
25. To Kill a Mockingbird
26. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
27. High Noon
28. All About Eve
29. Double Indemnity
30. Apocalypse Now
31. The Maltese Falcon
32. The Godfather: Part II
33. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
34. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
35. Annie Hall
36. The Bridge on the River Kwai
37. The Best Years of Our Lives
38. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
39. Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
40. The Sound of Music
41. King Kong
42. Bonnie and Clyde
43. Midnight Cowboy
44. The Philadelphia Story
45. Shane
46. It Happened One Night
47. A Streetcar Named Desire
48. Rear Window
49. Intolerance: Love's Struggle throughout the Ages
50. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
51. West Side Story
52. Taxi Driver
53. The Deer Hunter
54. MASH
55. North by Northwest

56. Jaws
57. Rocky
58. The Gold Rush
59. Nashville
60. Duck Soup
61. Sullivan's Travels
62. American Graffiti
63. Cabaret
64. Network
65. The African Queen
66. Raiders of the Lost Ark
67. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
68. Unforgiven
69. Tootsie
70. A Clockwork Orange
71. Saving Private Ryan
72. The Shawshank Redemption
73. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
74. The Silence of the Lambs
75. In the Heat of the Night
76. Forrest Gump
77. All the President's Men
78. Modern Times
79. The Wild Bunch
80. The Apartment
81. Spartacus
82. Sunrise: A Song of Two Human
83. Titanic
84. Easy Rider
85. A Night at the Opera
86. Platoon
87. 12 Angry Men
88. Bringing up Baby
89. The Sixth Sense
90. Swing Time
91. Sophie's Choice
92. Goodfellas
93. The French Connection
94. Pulp Fiction
95. The Last Picture Show
96. Do the Right Thing
97. Blade Runner
98. Yankee Doodle Dandy
99. Toy Story
100. Ben-Hur
So, happy to not to have it cut myself (before I‘ve seen it, I thought it hat something to do with Sophie‘s World). Then again, you wanted to cut my Godfather. I get we‘ew quit now! Happy to have you ony board. :cheers:

blocho
Donator
Posts: 3070
Joined: Jul 20, 2014
Contact:

#200

Post by blocho » May 15th, 2020, 5:03 pm

I was thinking of using a veto on Godfather, but I decided to keep my powder dry. I'm kind of surprised no one else used a veto.

Great discussion on 12 Angry Men above. I share the opinion that many have expressed, that it was a very good movie, great even, but that the forum overall holds it in higher esteem than I do. Still, thanks to St. Gloede for posting that video. It's probably been more than 20 years since I saw 12 Angry Men, but I think the video makes clear that it's a lot more than just a filmed play.

Post Reply