Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

iCM Forum's Favorite South Asian Movies; Nominations

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Lonewolf2003
Donator

iCM Forum's Favorite South Asian Movies; Nominations

Post by Lonewolf2003 » March 29th, 2020, 2:06 pm

iCM Forum's Favorite South Asian Movies
Nominations

For the first time we're choosing our favorite movies from South Asia, or let's be honest which other Indian movies besides Satyajit Ray movies we like the most. ;) But maybe we can also get some movies from other countries on the list. South Asia consist of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

There are no set rules for which movies are admissible and which are not. If you feel a movie is eligible (and good enough of course to include in your list) than you can include it. When in doubt about a movie I'm sure there are users who can help you. But to give some guidelines as to what to search for: you can look at production country, language and/or the nationality of the director and crew. But I will keep the right to remove movies from the final list or to disqualify whole lists after consultation with others here.

DEALINE IS APRIL 25th 2020

Some help; links to movies you rated on IMDb from:Show
Afghanistan
Bangladesh
Bhutan
India
Maldives
Nepal
Pakistan
Sri Lanka

Like always these do include co-productions, so you have to filter those out according to your own judgement. Of course you can always ask others here for their opinions.

• Shorts, mini-series and TV-episodes from anthology series where the episodes are unrelated, are allowed. Tv-series aren't allowed.*
    *Imdb will be leading in this, but if you have good arguments exceptions to the rule can be made in consultation
  • Imdb-lists or iCM-lists are accepted. (If you can't make one of those, ask another user to help you out.)
  • Lists can be any length.
  • Each nominee can only be named once (of course)
  • Lists can be ranked or unranked or partially-ranked. In a partially-ranked list, the top X films are ranked and everything after that point is unranked. When not specified I will consider a list as ranked.
Please check if your list is stated, ordered and linked correctly. And is set to public. For iCM lists you can also set it to "Friends" and befriend me.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on April 27th, 2020, 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 29th, 2020, 4:04 pm

I've got 20 8+ titles from this region. All are from India. 11/20 are from Ray. So I'm thinking of not submitting a list. Then I saw jeff's list got 19/29 from Ray, so 11/20 is not so bad actually. :lol:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

jeff_v

Post by jeff_v » March 29th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Yeah, get on my level.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » March 29th, 2020, 4:21 pm

joachimt wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 4:04 pm
I've got 20 8+ titles from this region. All are from India. 11/20 are from Ray. So I'm thinking of not submitting a list. Then I saw jeff's list got 19/29 from Ray, so 11/20 is not so bad actually. :lol:
I just looked at India and I've got 28 rated 8+ and 25 are S.Ray :party:

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » March 29th, 2020, 4:27 pm

14 out of 38 rated 8+ for me are from Mr. Ray - and likely more to come as I'm going through his filmography now - but I'm a notoriously high rater of course. :thumbsup:

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » March 29th, 2020, 5:05 pm

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » March 29th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Only seen 3 Ray films, 1/5 average. Not my director.

I generally dislike submitting short lists, but since Tasher Desh is one of my absolute favorites and deserves wider exposure (though I don't really think this forum is quite the place for a film like this), here goes: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/best ... onderhond/

Ranked!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 29th, 2020, 6:57 pm

Your #1 is a US-only-production. It is about Tibet, but this poll doesn't include Tibet, so I see no reason to include this movie in this poll.
Your #2 has India has third production country, but is clearly from Iran.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 29th, 2020, 7:09 pm

ICM-profile

TajSamKojiJesam

Post by TajSamKojiJesam » March 29th, 2020, 7:09 pm

joachimt wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 6:57 pm
Your #1 is a US-only-production. It is about Tibet, but this poll doesn't include Tibet, so I see no reason to include this movie in this poll.
It was partly filmed in Nepal.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 29th, 2020, 7:14 pm

TajSamKojiJesam wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 7:09 pm
joachimt wrote:
It was partly filmed in Nepal.
So it's basically PdA stretching the rules again just to get his precious Robert E. Fulton on another list.
ICM-profile

TajSamKojiJesam

Post by TajSamKojiJesam » March 29th, 2020, 7:17 pm

It's on my list as well. It's a marginal case, but I feel it fits.
There are no set rules for which movies are admissible and which are not. If you feel a movie is eligible (and good enough of course to include in your list) than you can include it.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 29th, 2020, 7:28 pm

TajSamKojiJesam wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 7:17 pm
It's on my list as well. It's a marginal case, but I feel it fits.
There are no set rules for which movies are admissible and which are not. If you feel a movie is eligible (and good enough of course to include in your list) than you can include it.
But I will keep the right to remove movies from the final list or to disqualify whole lists after consultation with others here.
ICM-profile

kingink

Post by kingink » March 29th, 2020, 8:08 pm

I added the other countries in my short Indian list. Maybe it's a nice opportunity to watch some more films from these countries. I have 8 Ray films in my list out of 27 :D
I had some films that I rated with a 7 in my Indian list so I kept the same rule for the other countries as well.
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls026223699/

TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown » March 29th, 2020, 8:22 pm

FAR AND AWAY my worst region. My search yields only two films I've seen who's primary production was from this region. Very embarrassing.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » March 30th, 2020, 6:46 am

I've really been looking forward to this poll. The last month has been a lot of fun for me, thanks to the corresponding challenge hosted by Maxwell. India, as it is, was already one of my favourite film-making countries thanks to the best of what I'd encountered from Bollywood and March has allowed me to look further and dip tentatively into previously unfamiliar to me corners such as the Telugu-language scene.

I've only seen 4 or 5 Ray films and every one of them is a masterpiece. The list that comes out of this project will be rather full of his films, if early indications are anything to go by. He is a truly great film-maker but there are other greats from this diverse film-making country (and indeed region) as well. I'll wait until this month's challenge concludes but I'm already itching to piece together a list of my faves!
That's all, folks!

beavis

Post by beavis » March 30th, 2020, 7:36 am

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/sout ... is/beavis/

My list turned out as a top 25, with India only. 4x Ray for those who like to keep score of that, which is just as many as I have for Mani Kaul, the greatest Indian filmmaker
SpoilerShow
1 - Siddeshwari - 1990 - - 5
2 - Nazar - 1991 - The Gaze - 4.5
3 - Asha Jaoar Majhe - 2014 - Labour of Love - 4.5
4 - Naan Kadavul - 2009 - - 4.5
5 - Ghare-Baire - 1984 - The Home and the World - 4.5
6 - Kanchana Sita - 1977 - Golden Sita - 4.5
7 - Charulata - 1964 - The Lonely Wife - 4.5
8 - Ashani Sanket - 1973 - Distant Thunder - 4.5
9 - Jonaki - 2018 - Firefly - 4.5
10 - Pyaasa - 1957 - Thirst - 4.5
11 - Guide - 1965 - - 4.5
12 - Duvidha - 1973 - In Two Minds - 4.5
13 - Sona Dhwandi Bhed Te Sucha Pahaad - 2018 - The Gold-Laden Sheep & the Sacred Mountain - 4.5
14 - Elippathayam - 1982 - Rat-Trap - 4
15 - Maya Darpan - 1972 - Mirror of Illusion - 4
16 - Shatranj Ke Khilari - 1977 - The Chess Players - 4
17 - Uski Roti - 1970 - Our Daily Bread - 4
18 - Nirjan Saikate - 1963 - The Desolute Beach - 4
19 - Om Dar-B-Dar - 1988 - - 4
20 - Baahubali: The Beginning - 2015 - - 4
21 - Baahubali 2: The Conclusion - 2017 - - 4
22 - Padmaavat - 2017 - - 4
23 - Anhey Gorhey Da Daan - 2011 - Alms for a Blind Horse - 4
24 - Kummatty - 1979 - The Bogeyman - 4
25 - Kathapurushan - 1996 - Man of the Story - 4

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » March 30th, 2020, 12:25 pm

joachimt wrote:
I would agree that neither film should be eligible, but I would like to celebrate the fact that PdA submitted a list that is only 38 films long.

As for my own list, it will be India-heavy, but I'll be focusing on more films from other countries this month to see what else might warrant inclusion. I've seen 5 Rays, but only 2, maybe 3 will make my list. I think in all my list will be about 25-30 films long. Which reminds me: What half-life are you thinking makes sense based on the list lengths so far Lonewolf?

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » March 30th, 2020, 2:17 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 12:25 pm
joachimt wrote:
I would agree that neither film should be eligible, but I would like to celebrate the fact that PdA submitted a list that is only 38 films long.

As for my own list, it will be India-heavy, but I'll be focusing on more films from other countries this month to see what else might warrant inclusion. I've seen 5 Rays, but only 2, maybe 3 will make my list. I think in all my list will be about 25-30 films long. Which reminds me: What half-life are you thinking makes sense based on the list lengths so far Lonewolf?
No idea yet, but guessing from the shortness of the list, half-life will be pretty low.

mathiasa

Post by mathiasa » March 30th, 2020, 7:53 pm

ranked: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/math ... /mathiasa/

hope to see some more before the deadline, especially from countries I haven't seen anything from so far.

Cinepolis

Post by Cinepolis » March 31st, 2020, 6:38 pm

I finally need to watch the Apu movies. I even have them on DVD but haven't gotten around visually consuming them yet.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » March 31st, 2020, 11:50 pm

'Duvidha' is at #20 and #27 in Smoover's list. It looks to be an incredible film but probably not good enough to show up twice in the one list!
That's all, folks!

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » April 1st, 2020, 4:36 am

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls094526324/

Ranked.

Common themes include films at least 120 minutes in length, films directed by Satyajit Ray, films directed by Bimal Roy, films involving rape, and films with musical numbers :party:

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » April 1st, 2020, 4:53 am

Cocoa, your list is set to private at present.
That's all, folks!

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » April 1st, 2020, 5:28 am

Oops. Fixed. Thanks for letting me know.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » April 1st, 2020, 7:40 am

Cocoa wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 5:28 am
Oops. Fixed. Thanks for letting me know.
Really cool list, btw. Love the four inclusions from Bimal Roy. 'Sujata' is the only one of those that I haven't seen and is the one you rank the highest, so I'll try to squeeze it in over the next little while. Nutan is the best! I love her naturalness.
That's all, folks!

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » April 5th, 2020, 9:57 am

A small but still strong list. Ranked. https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/my+s ... ia/zzzorf/

sushantv10

Post by sushantv10 » April 11th, 2020, 6:53 pm

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 6:46 am
I've really been looking forward to this poll. The last month has been a lot of fun for me, thanks to the corresponding challenge hosted by Maxwell. India, as it is, was already one of my favourite film-making countries thanks to the best of what I'd encountered from Bollywood and March has allowed me to look further and dip tentatively into previously unfamiliar to me corners such as the Telugu-language scene.

I've only seen 4 or 5 Ray films and every one of them is a masterpiece. The list that comes out of this project will be rather full of his films, if early indications are anything to go by. He is a truly great film-maker but there are other greats from this diverse film-making country (and indeed region) as well. I'll wait until this month's challenge concludel but I'm already itching to piece together a list of my faves!
Would recommend an exploration in Tamil and Malayalam first, before Telugu. But few telugu ones worth checking out would be Baahubali 1& 2 , Agent Sai Srinivasa Athreya , Brochevarevarura, Eega(crazy concept). Two in my Telugu watchlist include Kshanam and Evaru.

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » April 11th, 2020, 9:15 pm

sushantv10 wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 6:53 pm
RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 6:46 am

I've only seen 4 or 5 Ray films and every one of them is a masterpiece. The list that comes out of this project will be rather full of his films, if early indications are anything to go by. He is a truly great film-maker but there are other greats from this diverse film-making country (and indeed region) as well. I'll wait until this month's challenge concludel but I'm already itching to piece together a list of my faves!
Would recommend an exploration in Tamil and Malayalam first, before Telugu. But few telugu ones worth checking out would be Baahubali 1& 2 , Agent Sai Srinivasa Athreya , Brochevarevarura, Eega(crazy concept). Two in my Telugu watchlist include Kshanam and Evaru.
Hello and thanks for the recommendations, sushantv10!

I haven't seen very much Tamil or Malayalam cinema at all unfortunately (apart from Gopalakrishnan's 'Naalu Pennungal', which I liked quite a bit for its ethnographic focus on the female experience). Up until this year Hindi cinema had pretty much dominated my Indian viewing, with the odd exposure to Marathi cinema thrown in as and when things popped up on TV (if I was to reciprocate with a rec for you (or indeed anyone interested), I would highlight the beautifully touching coming-of-age tale 'Vihir' from 2009). I tend to prefer Indian cinema from the 1940s up to the early 1980s, although that's a gross generalisation and there are of course entries I love dearly from recent decades. I'll take note of those you mention. Some of them would appear to be of interest, although I'm not really a blockbuster or superhit kind of guy. Another and perhaps fairer way to phrase it: I don't attach all that much significance to how something performs at the box office...

Telugu cinema of the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s does appeal to me, from the few I've seen. B.N. Reddi was a great discovery for me last month. I loved his dark, engrossing 'Swarga Seema' from 1945 and 'Malliswari' from 1951 subsequently proved to a masterpiece. I found the latter to be a wonderful, intelligent romance epic full of song and beautifully touching in development. I'd recommend it heartily.

Bapu is the other director from Telugu cinema who is a real favourite of mine. The first film from him I saw (several years ago now) was actually a Hindi one - 'Woh 7 Din' - and I thought it was wonderfully restrained and involving in its examining of relationship-related doubts and uncertainties (Naseeruddin Shah has since become a great fave of mine...). Last month I watched Bapu's directorial debut 'Sakshi' and found it a vibrantly alive and compelling look at village existence and loyalties. Inspired by 'High Noon' but with a bucolic Indian flavour all of its own. I really did like it a great deal and it furthered my appreciation of the director.

Hope to see many more from all the fascinating film industries of India! Thanks for the pointers!

:cheers:
Last edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88 on April 13th, 2020, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's all, folks!

sushantv10

Post by sushantv10 » April 12th, 2020, 6:04 am

@ RogerTheMovieManiac88 Great to see you exploring the classics of Telugu cinema and Indian cinema in general. will look forward to your recommendations....

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » April 19th, 2020, 8:32 am

#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage