Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 4 released May 26th)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A: Poland vs Mexico (Jun 4th), Match 2B: Tajikistan vs Italy (Jun 14th)

iCM Forum's Favorite South Asian Movies; Nominations

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
mjf314
Moderator
Posts: 11256
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

Re: iCM Forum's Favorite South Asian Movies; Nominations

#41

Post by mjf314 » April 19th, 2020, 9:11 pm

I made a list of iCM's favorite Indian movies, using the formula "favorites^1.3 / (checks+50)". I'm not sure if it's a good list, but maybe people will find it useful.

Note: This is **NOT** the list that I'm submitting for the poll. I'll submit my list later.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 8397
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#42

Post by sol » April 20th, 2020, 3:33 pm

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/sri+ ... ndia/sol-/

RANKED

If anyone is looking for some Sri Lankan cinema before this poll closes, both my #1 and #2 can be easily found online. I feel like I'm kind of wasting my votes on them since I don't know if many/any others have seen them, but hopefully a high ranking in the All Votes final list will peg the interests of others. Or I could just volunteer to manage Sri Lanka in the next World Cup...
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 750 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
insomnius
Posts: 749
Joined: Jan 10, 2013
Location: Stockholm
Contact:

#43

Post by insomnius » April 22nd, 2020, 10:20 pm

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls099776763/
Ranked.

I prefer this to be from the POV of local directors, so no Fulton, Gardner, Lapore or temples of doom etc shot in the region, although I love some of those.

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 7899
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#44

Post by maxwelldeux » April 24th, 2020, 4:03 am

Partially ranked - 1-2 ranked, rest unranked:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/maxw ... xwelldeux/



User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 4343
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#47

Post by OldAle1 » April 25th, 2020, 12:30 pm

When are you closing this Lonewolf? I'm working on my list now but might want to watch one more film.

User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 1610
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#48

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » April 25th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Will this be open until tomorrow morning, European time? I've been pretty busy the last few days but am looking forward to putting together my list today.

Would it perhaps be wise to extend this for a few days or even a week in the hope of attracting a few more submissions? There don't appear to be all that many ballots, particularly compared to other polls.
That's all, folks!

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 8558
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#49

Post by Lonewolf2003 » April 25th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Updated the OP.
Please check if your list is stated, ordered and linked correctly. And is set to public. For iCM lists you can also set it to "Friends" and befriend me.

I counted 23 participant. Could somebody verify that number, please?

Nominations are open one more day. I could extend it one day, till the 26th is over all over the world. So it close Monday around noon in Europe.
There aren't indeed many ballots. But I didn't expect there to be with this poll. And extensions rarely do produce many more ballots. The poll been open long enough for everyone to submit one.

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 4343
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#50

Post by OldAle1 » April 25th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Cool thanks.

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 8558
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#51

Post by Lonewolf2003 » April 25th, 2020, 12:42 pm

Okay, deadline is extended one more day. Till April 26th is over in every corner of the world.

User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 1610
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#52

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » April 25th, 2020, 12:45 pm

Thanks, Lonewolf. I'll put my list together over the weekend. I have two or three films that I still want to either finish or watch before assembling mine, so I certainly appreciate the little extension.
That's all, folks!

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 3894
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#53

Post by Fergenaprido » April 25th, 2020, 2:18 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 12:16 pm
My own very short list https://www.imdb.com/list/ls099165821/
Surprised you included Water in your list. I checked imdb and realize that India is added as a country, yet no Indian companies are lists as production companies. Plus, it wasn't even allowed to be filmed in India, so they shot it in Sri Lanka instead. I consider it a Canadian film, but if you're declaring it eligible for this poll I may consider adding it to my ballot.

Smoover
Posts: 488
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#54

Post by Smoover » April 25th, 2020, 2:46 pm

Water ist 100% South Asian, who cares about the production companies ;)

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 31484
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#55

Post by joachimt » April 25th, 2020, 3:40 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 12:35 pm
I counted 23 participant. Could somebody verify that number, please?
I counted 24
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
insomnius
Posts: 749
Joined: Jan 10, 2013
Location: Stockholm
Contact:

#56

Post by insomnius » April 25th, 2020, 4:02 pm

joachimt wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 3:40 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 12:35 pm
I counted 23 participant. Could somebody verify that number, please?
I counted 24
I counted 23. You probably included the list mjf314 posted which is not his list.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 31484
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#57

Post by joachimt » April 25th, 2020, 5:31 pm

insomnius wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 4:02 pm
joachimt wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 3:40 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 12:35 pm
I counted 23 participant. Could somebody verify that number, please?
I counted 24
I counted 23. You probably included the list mjf314 posted which is not his list.
Indeed, I counted that one. Went through the posts too quickly. Thanks.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 8558
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#58

Post by Lonewolf2003 » April 25th, 2020, 6:06 pm

insomnius wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 4:02 pm
joachimt wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 3:40 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 12:35 pm
I counted 23 participant. Could somebody verify that number, please?
I counted 24
I counted 23. You probably included the list mjf314 posted which is not his list.
Yeah that one is easy to mistake. I myself almost did too.


User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 3894
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#60

Post by Fergenaprido » April 25th, 2020, 6:43 pm

Gordon_Gekko wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 6:25 pm
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls099123263/

Short and ranked
Those last two films in your list are in my Mubi queue; was unsure of whether or not to prioritize watching them before they expire, so I'll take your recommendations! Won't get to them before the deadline, however.

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 3894
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#61

Post by Fergenaprido » April 25th, 2020, 7:13 pm

And here is my list, ranked: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls099126315/

I may add more films if I watch anything before the deadline.

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 4343
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#62

Post by OldAle1 » April 25th, 2020, 9:27 pm

Doubt I'll watch anything else or change anything. All Indian - I wanted to get to some other stuff for the challenge, but it just didn't happen. All ranked:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls099179189/


User avatar
Gordon_Gekko
Posts: 242
Joined: Mar 09, 2019
Location: Germany
Contact:

#64

Post by Gordon_Gekko » April 26th, 2020, 8:31 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 6:43 pm
Gordon_Gekko wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 6:25 pm
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls099123263/

Short and ranked
Those last two films in your list are in my Mubi queue; was unsure of whether or not to prioritize watching them before they expire, so I'll take your recommendations! Won't get to them before the deadline, however.
Party reminds me - not just because of the title - of "the party" from 2017". Instead of the successful female politician we have a successful male writer. The whole movie plays at the same location and there are several liberal/intellectually guests with their pesonal differences and problems. Like in the british movie my first thought was "sounds great"... but diden't catch me really. Some worse performes in the indian film from 1984 too, so 5,5/10 imo.

Ghare-Baire about a woman between to men (her liberal husband and an national rebel) I preffered. Both films take up the topic of intelectuals/liberals (mostly upper class) on the one side and "angry" national revolutionary (mostly lower class) on the other. But because of the interessting historical background (independence of GB, Moslems against Hindhus) I rated this in comparison higher 6,5/10.

Let me know what you think about both films, if you watch them :)

User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 1610
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#65

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » April 27th, 2020, 8:18 am

My submission: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls099312019/

The top 12 in my list are ranked. The remaining 54 films are arranged in a random and unranked order.

Thanks for hosting, Lonewolf! I'm looking forward to the results.

:cheers:
That's all, folks!

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 8558
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#66

Post by Lonewolf2003 » April 27th, 2020, 1:22 pm

Nominations are now closed!


Updated the OP.
Please check if your list is stated, ordered and linked correctly. And is set to public. For iCM lists you can also set it to "Friends" and befriend me.

I counted 28 participant. Could somebody verify that number, please?

Average list size is 30, median is 25. Will try out a bit with half-lifes, but won't be higher than 25.

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 8558
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#67

Post by Lonewolf2003 » April 27th, 2020, 1:29 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 2:18 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 12:16 pm
My own very short list https://www.imdb.com/list/ls099165821/
Surprised you included Water in your list. I checked imdb and realize that India is added as a country, yet no Indian companies are lists as production companies. Plus, it wasn't even allowed to be filmed in India, so they shot it in Sri Lanka instead. I consider it a Canadian film, but if you're declaring it eligible for this poll I may consider adding it to my ballot.
Sorry for the late reply. With an Indian director and mostly an Indian cast and crew from what I can tell, plus being shot in Sri Lanka and story set in India it seem South Asian enough to me to include it. And at least it is not South Asian enough to disqualify it when it makes the lists.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 31484
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#68

Post by joachimt » April 27th, 2020, 2:43 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 1:22 pm
I counted 28 participant. Could somebody verify that number, please?
Five new lists since last count, so this should be correct.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 3894
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#69

Post by Fergenaprido » April 27th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 1:29 pm
Fergenaprido wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 2:18 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 12:16 pm
My own very short list https://www.imdb.com/list/ls099165821/
Surprised you included Water in your list. I checked imdb and realize that India is added as a country, yet no Indian companies are lists as production companies. Plus, it wasn't even allowed to be filmed in India, so they shot it in Sri Lanka instead. I consider it a Canadian film, but if you're declaring it eligible for this poll I may consider adding it to my ballot.
Sorry for the late reply. With an Indian director and mostly an Indian cast and crew from what I can tell, plus being shot in Sri Lanka and story set in India it seem South Asian enough to me to include it. And at least it is not South Asian enough to disqualify it when it makes the lists.
No worries. In the end I decided not to include it in my list, but I can understand if others did. :thumbsup:

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 3894
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#70

Post by Fergenaprido » May 9th, 2020, 10:52 am

Gordon_Gekko wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 8:31 am
Fergenaprido wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 6:43 pm
Gordon_Gekko wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 6:25 pm
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls099123263/

Short and ranked
Those last two films in your list are in my Mubi queue; was unsure of whether or not to prioritize watching them before they expire, so I'll take your recommendations! Won't get to them before the deadline, however.
Party reminds me - not just because of the title - of "the party" from 2017". Instead of the successful female politician we have a successful male writer. The whole movie plays at the same location and there are several liberal/intellectually guests with their pesonal differences and problems. Like in the british movie my first thought was "sounds great"... but diden't catch me really. Some worse performes in the indian film from 1984 too, so 5,5/10 imo.

Ghare-Baire about a woman between to men (her liberal husband and an national rebel) I preffered. Both films take up the topic of intelectuals/liberals (mostly upper class) on the one side and "angry" national revolutionary (mostly lower class) on the other. But because of the interessting historical background (independence of GB, Moslems against Hindhus) I rated this in comparison higher 6,5/10.

Let me know what you think about both films, if you watch them :)
I ended up skipping Ghare-Baire since it's available elsewhere. I'll get around to it eventually, but I have too many other film priorities right now :D

Party was okay, if inconsistent. There were some really great scenes, and some not-so-great scenes. Overall the acting was fine, but it didn't really grasp me and I felt it was too long. I gave it a 7.0/10, and it wouldn't have made my list.

User avatar
Gordon_Gekko
Posts: 242
Joined: Mar 09, 2019
Location: Germany
Contact:

#71

Post by Gordon_Gekko » May 14th, 2020, 9:41 am

Fergenaprido wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 10:52 am
Gordon_Gekko wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 8:31 am
Fergenaprido wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 6:43 pm

Those last two films in your list are in my Mubi queue; was unsure of whether or not to prioritize watching them before they expire, so I'll take your recommendations! Won't get to them before the deadline, however.
Party reminds me - not just because of the title - of "the party" from 2017". Instead of the successful female politician we have a successful male writer. The whole movie plays at the same location and there are several liberal/intellectually guests with their pesonal differences and problems. Like in the british movie my first thought was "sounds great"... but diden't catch me really. Some worse performes in the indian film from 1984 too, so 5,5/10 imo.

Ghare-Baire about a woman between to men (her liberal husband and an national rebel) I preffered. Both films take up the topic of intelectuals/liberals (mostly upper class) on the one side and "angry" national revolutionary (mostly lower class) on the other. But because of the interessting historical background (independence of GB, Moslems against Hindhus) I rated this in comparison higher 6,5/10.

Let me know what you think about both films, if you watch them :)
I ended up skipping Ghare-Baire since it's available elsewhere. I'll get around to it eventually, but I have too many other film priorities right now :D

Party was okay, if inconsistent. There were some really great scenes, and some not-so-great scenes. Overall the acting was fine, but it didn't really grasp me and I felt it was too long. I gave it a 7.0/10, and it wouldn't have made my list.
Because of the acting my viewing habits may be too western. Often struggle with the acting in asian films a little bit (except japanese films :think: ).
Anyway thanks for the feedback!

Post Reply