Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: Valkoinen peura, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

World Cup, Season 4, Match 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Post Reply
User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 30932
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

World Cup, Season 4, Match 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

#1

Post by joachimt » March 25th, 2020, 3:45 pm

This is match 1G of the fourth season of iCM Forum's Film World Cup.

CountryOriginal TitleEnglish TitleYearManagerIMDBICM
GermanyJagdszenen aus NiederbayernHunting Scenes from Bavaria1969klaus78linklink
PakistanJago hua saveraThe Day Shall Dawn1959zhangalanlinklink
UkraineNezabyvayemoyeThe Unforgettable1967Angel Glezlinklink
USACockfighter1974montylinklink

ScreenshotsShow
Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern
Image

Jago hua savera
Image

Nezabyvayemoye
Image

Cockfighter
Image
Voting Rules:
- You must watch all 4 films before you vote.
- To vote, rank the 4 films from most favorite to least favorite. (note: you're ranking the individual films, not the countries)

Voting deadline = Apr 22nd
Countdown till deadline

The countries that end at 1st and 2nd place proceed to the next round. The ranking of the match will be decided using these rules:
- Ranked by highest average ranking (= lowest number).
- In case of a tie between two movies, head-to-head determines the winner (how many people thought A>B and how many thought B>A).
- In case there's still a tie after the previous rule or there is a tie between three or four movies, most #1-votes determines the winner.
- Still a tie? Fewest #4-votes determines the winner.
- Still a tie? The match will have a 3 day extension (except when the tie is only between #3 and #4).
Here's a quick summary of how the tournament worksShow
We start with 32 films from 32 countries. Each country has a manager who determines which movie will be watched. In the first round the countries are divided into 8 groups of 4. From each group the countries that end up at #1 and #2 proceed to the next round. In the 2nd round the 16 remaining countries will be divided into 8 matches of 2. The managers pick a new movie. The winner of each match proceeds to the next round. This continues till the final.
iCM-list of all movies in this World Cup

List of all topics related to the World Cup including previous seasons
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
72aicm
Donator
Posts: 3158
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Contact:

#2

Post by 72aicm » March 25th, 2020, 4:01 pm

The strongest group in this tournament imo:

1. Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern 8.5/10
2. Nezabyvayemoye 8/10
3. Cockfighter 8/10
4. Jago hua savera 7/10

User avatar
pitchorneirda
Posts: 44
Joined: Feb 11, 2019
Contact:

#3

Post by pitchorneirda » March 25th, 2020, 4:02 pm

1. Jago hua savera 7/10
2. Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern 7/10
3. Cockfighter 6/10
4. Nezabyvayemoye 4/10

User avatar
Mario Gaborović
Posts: 3315
Joined: Apr 11, 2014
Location: Pančevo
Contact:

#4

Post by Mario Gaborović » March 25th, 2020, 4:22 pm

1. Cockfighter
2. Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern
3. Jago hua savera
4. Nezabyvayemoye

User avatar
beavis
Posts: 2088
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

#5

Post by beavis » March 27th, 2020, 4:41 pm

1. Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern - 8
2. Cockfighter - 7,5
3. Nezabyvayemoye - 7,5
4. Jago hua savera - 7

User avatar
klaus78
Donator
Posts: 1495
Joined: Mar 27, 2013
Contact:

#6

Post by klaus78 » March 27th, 2020, 8:14 pm

1. Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern (Germany) 8/10
2. Cockfighter (USA) 7/10
3. Jago hua savera (Pakistan) 7/10
4. Nezabyvayemoye (Ukraine) 6/10
Image

User avatar
jvv
Donator
Posts: 8557
Joined: May 28, 2011
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#7

Post by jvv » March 29th, 2020, 9:22 pm

1. Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern
2. Cockfighter
3. Jago hua savera
4. Nezabyvayemoye

User avatar
Mario Gaborović
Posts: 3315
Joined: Apr 11, 2014
Location: Pančevo
Contact:

#8

Post by Mario Gaborović » March 30th, 2020, 9:53 am

Image Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern 16-2
Image Cockfighter 11-7
Image Jago Hua Savera 6-12
Image Nezabyvaemoe 3-15

User avatar
Traveller
Posts: 1040
Joined: Dec 31, 2018
Location: Germany
Contact:

#9

Post by Traveller » March 31st, 2020, 2:44 pm

1. Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern
2. Nezabyvaemoe
3. Jago Hua Savera
4. Cockfighter
ICM
April Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

User avatar
Cocoa
Donator
Posts: 1716
Joined: Jul 17, 2013
Location: Chicago, USA
Contact:

#10

Post by Cocoa » April 1st, 2020, 9:55 am

1. Nezabyvayemoye 8/10
2. Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern 6/10
3. Jago hua savera 5/10
4. Cockfighter 5/10

I only have two films left to watch out of all the first round matches, but out of the 30 films I've seen, Nezabyvayemoye is easily the best film out of all the first round films in my opinion. Definitely fought back tears. Although the editing was a little weird in certain places and some color scenes looked better in black and white, but the shots in color worked well for some of the scenes. It also felt too much like a propaganda film at times, but the same can be said for a lot of great films made in the USSR region over the span of several decades.

Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern had good direction and cinematography. The characters and story itself were too unlikable and left a bad taste in my mouth. All the characters had unlikable traits and even if you're rooting for the main male character or female character at the start of the film and still throughout the middle, both of them possess worse qualities as the film progress even though the viewer is supposed to dislike the town itself and the other residents more, so by the end of the film you're rooting against the town but not really rooting for any particular protagonist character to prevail as well which means you're just waiting for the film to end. If they had just made the main female character or male character with one or two negative scenes cut out, then it would have been better.

Jago hua savera is forgettable. Watched it a few months ago and can't remember it. Looking it up on imdb and wiki only produces the tiniest of memory of the film for me. I gave it a meh rating when I watched it at the time, so I don't feel like I'm forgetting something amazing.

Cockfighter is a film I didn't like and I remember not liking it, so it's last. A lot of scenes are forgettable, but the annoyed pain I felt for this film while watching it is memorable for me.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 30932
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#11

Post by joachimt » April 1st, 2020, 11:48 am

Cocoa wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 9:55 am
Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern had good direction and cinematography. The characters and story itself were too unlikable and left a bad taste in my mouth. All the characters had unlikable traits and even if you're rooting for the main male character or female character at the start of the film and still throughout the middle, both of them possess worse qualities as the film progress even though the viewer is supposed to dislike the town itself and the other residents more, so by the end of the film you're rooting against the town but not really rooting for any particular protagonist character to prevail as well which means you're just waiting for the film to end. If they had just made the main female character or male character with one or two negative scenes cut out, then it would have been better.
I fully agree on this and I'm surprised this movie is doing so extremely well in this match.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 30932
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#12

Post by joachimt » April 3rd, 2020, 6:16 pm

Close call, but I'll rank them this way:
1. Nezabyvaemoe 7+/10
2. Jago hua savera 7/10
3. Cockfighter 7/10
4. Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern 6/10
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
zuma
Donator
Posts: 2034
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

#13

Post by zuma » April 3rd, 2020, 6:58 pm

joachimt wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 11:48 am
Cocoa wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 9:55 am
Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern had good direction and cinematography. The characters and story itself were too unlikable and left a bad taste in my mouth. All the characters had unlikable traits and even if you're rooting for the main male character or female character at the start of the film and still throughout the middle, both of them possess worse qualities as the film progress even though the viewer is supposed to dislike the town itself and the other residents more, so by the end of the film you're rooting against the town but not really rooting for any particular protagonist character to prevail as well which means you're just waiting for the film to end. If they had just made the main female character or male character with one or two negative scenes cut out, then it would have been better.
I fully agree on this and I'm surprised this movie is doing so extremely well in this match.
I am surprised that people need to root for a character or identify with a character. Why does there have to be a hero or someone to root for? I do not understand that mindset.

User avatar
zuma
Donator
Posts: 2034
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

#14

Post by zuma » April 3rd, 2020, 7:01 pm

01 - Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern

02 - Cockfighter

03 - Jago hua savera

04 - Nezabyvayemoye

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 30932
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#15

Post by joachimt » April 3rd, 2020, 7:37 pm

zuma wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 6:58 pm
joachimt wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 11:48 am
Cocoa wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 9:55 am
Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern had good direction and cinematography. The characters and story itself were too unlikable and left a bad taste in my mouth. All the characters had unlikable traits and even if you're rooting for the main male character or female character at the start of the film and still throughout the middle, both of them possess worse qualities as the film progress even though the viewer is supposed to dislike the town itself and the other residents more, so by the end of the film you're rooting against the town but not really rooting for any particular protagonist character to prevail as well which means you're just waiting for the film to end. If they had just made the main female character or male character with one or two negative scenes cut out, then it would have been better.
I fully agree on this and I'm surprised this movie is doing so extremely well in this match.
I am surprised that people need to root for a character or identify with a character. Why does there have to be a hero or someone to root for? I do not understand that mindset.
My problem was mostly that all the characters were unlikable. It felt like there wasn't a sane people in the whole village, so it felt too unrealistically to me. A bit like a Bruno Dumont movie, but luckily with good cinematography.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Angel Glez
Posts: 2064
Joined: Apr 02, 2012
Location: Spain
Contact:

#16

Post by Angel Glez » Yesterday, 11:46 am

1.Nezabyvayemoye
2.Jago hua savera
3.Cockfighter
4.Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern

Fiery competence. :thumbsup:

The Unforgettable at dailymotion:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2g8469 (1/2)
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2g8469 (2/2)

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 30932
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#17

Post by joachimt » Yesterday, 4:05 pm

Angel Glez wrote:
Yesterday, 11:46 am
1.Nezabyvayemoye
2.Jago hua savera
3.Cockfighter
4.Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern
Glad to see I'm not alone with this vote. :cheers:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Smoover
Posts: 482
Joined: Aug 24, 2014
Contact:

#18

Post by Smoover » Yesterday, 5:23 pm

1 - Jagdszenen aus Niederbayern 7.0
2 - Cockfighter 7.0
3 - Jago hua savera 6.5
4 - Nezabyvayemoye 5.5

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 30932
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#19

Post by joachimt » Yesterday, 5:41 pm

Image
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Post Reply