Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Jun 28th), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Il ferroviere, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2D: Estonia vs Spain (Jul 5th), Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

World Cup, Season 4, Match 1C: Albania vs Cuba vs Iceland vs Russia (Feb 12th)

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Mario Gaborović

Re: World Cup, Season 4, Match 1C: Albania vs Cuba vs Iceland vs Russia (Feb 12th)

Post by Mario Gaborović » February 9th, 2020, 9:53 am

Image Dni zatmeniya 39-27
Image Madagascar 37-29
Image Englar alheimsins 30-36
Image Kompozim 26-40

4 days left.

Gorro
Donator

Post by Gorro » February 10th, 2020, 5:46 pm

1. Dni zatmeniya
2. Madagascar
3. Englar alheimsins
4. Kompozim

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » February 11th, 2020, 10:59 am

Unfortunately this was a very bad round for me, not really enjoying anything. The winner for me though is easily the better with the other 3 exchangeable.

1. Madagascar
2. Kompozim
3. Englar alheimsins
4. Dni zatmeniya

klaus78
Donator

Post by klaus78 » February 11th, 2020, 11:03 pm

1. Madagascar (Cuba) 7/10
2. Dni zatmeniya (Russia) 6/10
3. Englar alheimsins (Iceland) 6/10
4. Kompozim (Albania) 6/10

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 11th, 2020, 11:46 pm

joachimt wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 8:45 pm
Is this when Cuba and Russia will take the lead for the rest of the match?
Yes -_-
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 12th, 2020, 7:04 am

Armoreska wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 11:46 pm
joachimt wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 8:45 pm
Is this when Cuba and Russia will take the lead for the rest of the match?
Yes -_-
Indeed. It's not a question anymore which countries proceed, just a question which will end up first.

ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » February 12th, 2020, 1:03 pm

1. Days of eclipse - Second Soukurov film after kamen that I had to watch it twice before I understand what was fgoing on. this was teh firs tfilm I watched rom this group. Didnt think it would end up as winner.
2. Madagascar - Nice little film but too little that I couldnt get conencted to the mother or daughter. One of the scene reminded me of Inception.
3. Angels of the Universe - Fine.
4. Composition - Nothing wrong but Forgettable short.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » February 12th, 2020, 3:00 pm

Not a particularly enjoyable round, I'm sorry to say. But, for the msot part these were bold choices, so I commend the managers for taking risks.

1. Iceland - 5.8
2. Albania - 5.8
3. Russia - 5.0
4. Cuba - 3.6

I started off with the short, which was inoffensive yet forgettable and felt like a throwaway selection, to be honest, even thought it (surprisingly) made my top two. Albania's not a big film country by any means, but it's had some interesting stories over the years and I was looking forward to discovering one of them this round.

Next up was the sepia film; this was my third Sokurov film, and probably my third dislike... I'll find a Sokurov film I'll enjoy one day. It might have been better if it hadn't been so long, as it did have some enjoyable moments, and I think positioning it as a scifi film gives people the wrong expectations. The book it's based on may be scifi, but nothing about the film really felt it. Weird and disconcerting at times, and confusing? Absolutely. But not really scifi-ish. The eye candy of the "casual athleticism" of the lead wasn't enough to keep me interested, though I find it strange that the director has downplayed/criticized the idea of homoeroticism in another one of his films when it's so clearly on display here. Still, it's the best Sokurov I've seen so far.

Angels started off so confusing that I had to pause it to go read a synopsis... then I discovered it was that Icelandic film (and probably the only one of this round I would have sought out myself). It got a bit better over time, but the rapid time jumps didn't allow any of the issues to carry any weight. Despite a few good scenes/lines, it felt overly maudlin. The opening scene with the mother of the girl was cringeworthy. And how old was the lead supposed to be? I have hard time believing that the two kids were his siblings when the actor was 36 and the character was at least 21 (says he was born when Iceland joined NATO, which was 1949, and at one point they mention the Beatles were no longer together, which happened in 1970, though it's unclear for how long that was, and I don't remember when in the movie they said that... plus I couldn't figure out which era the film was supposed to be set in).

Madagascar was mercifully short. No depth, no story, no explanation of why they're moving every five minutes, no character development, no... anything. Inspired by a book it seems, and kind of felt like a bad poem. Also, the lead actress definitely went to the Ross Matthews School of Overacting. No subtlely there.

Sadly, the subtitles for the three features were all shoddy; I even paused the Icelandic one to see if I could find better ones out there, to no avail. And the Cuban one failed to translate a number of lines, so those that don't understand Spanish were possibly confused, though I suppose most of the dialgue was unimportant anyway.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » February 12th, 2020, 9:33 pm

1. Dni zatmeniya (Russia)
2. Englar alheimsins (Iceland)
3. Kompozim (Albania)
4. Madagascar (Cuba)

Thanks to Roger, sacmersault, Asberg, and Gorro!

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 12th, 2020, 10:26 pm

Half a day left. I won't be online at the deadline and probably won't be for the rest of the day tomorrow. But Mario will certainly post the final results.
ICM-profile

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » February 13th, 2020, 7:52 am

Image Dni zatmeniya 51-33
Image Madagascar 47-37
Image Englar alheimsins 39-45
Image Kompozim 31-53

2 hours left.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » February 13th, 2020, 10:08 am

Match is over.

Russia and Cuba proceed to the next round. Congratulations to Gorro and sacmersault. Also thanks to Asberg and RogerTheMovieManiac88 for their picks and to the 28 people who voted this match.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » February 13th, 2020, 9:26 pm

Final scores:

Image Dni zatmeniya: 2.179 (51-33)
Image Madagascar: 2.321 (47-37)
Image Englar alheimsins: 2.607 (39-45)
Image Kompozim: 2.893 (31-53)
ICM-profile