Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Crime, Directed by Women, Indian Subcontinent
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

iCM Forum's Favorite Italian Movies (2nd edition); Nominations

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Lonewolf2003
Donator

iCM Forum's Favorite Italian Movies (2nd edition); Nominations

Post by Lonewolf2003 » January 6th, 2020, 4:11 pm

iCM Forum's Favorite Italian Movies
2nd edition
Nominations

For the second time we are going to chose our favorite Italian movies. The last time we did this was in 2015.

There are no set rules for which movies are admissible and which are not. If you feel a movie is Italian (and good enough of course to include in your list) than you can include it. When in doubt about a movie I'm sure there are users who can help you. But to give some guidelines as to what to search for: you can look at production country, language and/or the nationality of the director/crew. But I will keep the right to remove movies from the final list or to disqualify whole lists after consultation with others here.

Some help:
Movies produced by Italy you rated on IMDb
Like always these do include co-productions, so you have to filter those out according to your own judgement. Of course you can always ask others here for their opinions.

DEALINE IS 31 JANUARY 2020
  • Shorts, mini-series and TV-episodes from anthology series where the episodes are unrelated, are allowed. Tv-series aren't allowed.*
    *Imdb will be leading in this, but if you have good arguments exceptions to the rule can be made in consultation
  • Imdb-lists or iCM-lists are accepted. (If you can't make one of those, ask another user to help you out.)
  • Lists can be any length.
  • Each nominee can only be named once (of course)
  • Lists can be ranked or unranked or partially-ranked. In a partially-ranked list, the top X films are ranked and everything after that point is unranked. When not specified I will consider a list as ranked.
For consistency:
Scoring for ranked lists: Half-life = 50
Scoring for unranked lists: Every film on your list receives the same number of points (the average of what they would have received if your list was ranked).
List length will be 100 at least again, maybe longer this time if there are enough movie with enough voters to expand it.

Please check if your list is stated, ordered and linked correctly. And is set to public. For iCM lists you can also set it to "Friends" and befriend me.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on February 3rd, 2020, 3:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » January 6th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » January 6th, 2020, 4:30 pm

I have a paltry list of 3 out of 45 seen. Not going to participate.

Would love to make a case for Le Conseguenze dell'Amore, a modern, stylish take on crime cinema. Sorrentino's later films had more success with the critics, but this one is still my favorite.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » January 6th, 2020, 6:15 pm

ICM
April Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » January 6th, 2020, 9:09 pm

I don't know whether I should nominate La porta sul buio or nominate its individual episodes instead. It's only a four episode anthology series. It's not tagged as a mini-series on IMDb despite its four episodes length.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » January 6th, 2020, 9:11 pm

Onderhond wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 4:30 pm
I have a paltry list of 3 out of 45 seen. Not going to participate.

Would love to make a case for Le Conseguenze dell'Amore, a modern, stylish take on crime cinema. Sorrentino's later films had more success with the critics, but this one is still my favorite.
+1 saw it when it was at festival and thought it was excellent back then

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 6th, 2020, 9:53 pm

What's the screenshot in the OP?

albajos

Post by albajos » January 6th, 2020, 10:10 pm

29 at first, but removing all co-productions I ended up with 12

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls095594990/

Jimi Antiloop

Post by Jimi Antiloop » January 6th, 2020, 10:45 pm

Would anybody else consider Tarkovskys 'Nostalghia' as an italian movie? For me it really feels like it.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086022
:ICM: :letbxd: :Crtiticker: Reality Checks on :imdb:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”― Philip K. Dick

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » January 6th, 2020, 10:55 pm

Cocoa wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 9:09 pm
I don't know whether I should nominate La porta sul buio or nominate its individual episodes instead. It's only a four episode anthology series. It's not tagged as a mini-series on IMDb despite its four episodes length.
I don't know the series. Reading some info on it on wiki and IMDb; it does sound like an anthology mini-series and I will allow it like that.

You could of course nominate both the whole series as one entry and the individual episodes separate. Of course if you think all episodes are worth being in your list, if not it's best to just nominate those episodes.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » January 6th, 2020, 11:00 pm

blocho wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 9:53 pm
It's from Il gattopardo.

Jimi Antiloop

Post by Jimi Antiloop » January 6th, 2020, 11:23 pm

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls093696574 - At least 15. Hope to add some more.
:ICM: :letbxd: :Crtiticker: Reality Checks on :imdb:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”― Philip K. Dick

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 7th, 2020, 12:05 am

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 11:00 pm
blocho wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 9:53 pm
It's from Il gattopardo.
And I've seen it. Embarrassing. My visual memory is pretty good but fails me here.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 7th, 2020, 12:53 am

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls093699011/

Trying to watch ladri di biciclette, some argento movies, il conformista, le conseguenze dell'amore, suburra, dogman, the new suspiria, maybe la stanza del figlio, le meraviglie, lazzaro felice and la meglio gioventu before the end of the list making. Right now, i only send these three movies in, which i still do because my love for suspiria is neverending, and it would encourage me to watch more italian movies in the next few days and week.
Last edited by Lakigigar on January 7th, 2020, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 7th, 2020, 1:10 am

Hadn't updated my list since 2014 and had only one new Italian favourite since then, but I only included Italian language films last time and this time I included English. Ranked: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls059831520/
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Opio

Post by Opio » January 7th, 2020, 1:12 am

Jimi Antiloop wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 10:45 pm
Would anybody else consider Tarkovskys 'Nostalghia' as an italian movie? For me it really feels like it.
Yes, I'm including it. I like to go with director's nationality for the most part, but for fiction films where it seems like the director is transplanted into a different country, in terms of locations, performers, and language, I switch. So I put Nostalghia in Italy, Germany Year Zero in Germany, and Blow-Up in UK. But I understand if people want to include the latter two here, for instance.

Yet documentaries like India: Matri Bhumi and Chung Kuo - Cina seem like the Italian filmmakers' views of these countries, so I'm keeping them as part of Italy. And for these two, the subject countries are not included in the production company lists on IMDB, so there's that as well.
Last edited by Opio on January 7th, 2020, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » January 7th, 2020, 2:44 am

Just took a look at the list generated by imdb / Italian for me, and would say that 50% of them are not really Italian films.

If you want to call this a poll of "favorite Italian movies" I think that a more limiting criteria needs to be used that involves language and principle participants.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » January 7th, 2020, 8:29 am

Opio wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 1:12 am
Jimi Antiloop wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 10:45 pm
Yes, I'm including it. I like to go with director's nationality for the most part, but for fiction films where it seems like the director is transplanted into a different country, in terms of locations, performers, and language, I switch. So I put Nostalghia in Italy, Germany Year Zero in Germany, and Blow-Up in UK. But I understand if people want to include the latter two here, for instance.

Yet documentaries like India: Matri Bhumi and Chung Kuo - Cina seem like the Italian filmmakers' views of these countries, so I'm keeping them as part of Italy. And for these two, the subject countries are not included in the production company lists on IMDB, so there's that as well.
I haven't seen it yet, but I've always been under the impression that it was an Italian film. At the very least it's a co-production.

Based on the following from wikipedia (from another source), it seems it started out as a Russian film being made in Italy, and turned more into an Italian film about a Russian.
This was Andrei Tarkovsky's first film directed outside of the U.S.S.R. It was to be filmed in Italy with the support of Mosfilm, with most of the dialogue in Italian. The film was in pre-production as far back as 1980. Initially the film was titled Viaggio in Italia (Voyage to Italy), but since there was already the film Journey to Italy (1954) by Roberto Rossellini, starring Ingrid Bergman, that already bore that name, they searched for something else, eventually deciding upon Nostalghia. When Mosfilm support was withdrawn, Tarkovsky used part of the budget provided by Italian State Television and French film company Gaumont to complete the film in Italy and cut some Russian scenes from the script, while recreating Russian locations for other scenes in Italy. Luciano Tovoli was considered for director of photography, although ultimately Giuseppe Lanci shot the film, though Tovoli would take that role in Tarkovsky’s 1982 documentary Tempo di Viaggio, or Voyage in Time.[3]

Donatella Baglivo filmed a ninety minute documentary on the making of the film titled Andrei Tarkovsky in Nostalghia (1984), providing a fascinating glimpse into the making of the film, including interviews with cast and crew.

beavis

Post by beavis » January 7th, 2020, 8:48 am

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/top+ ... na/beavis/

I managed a top 65... after the first 30 the ranking is not very solid, but still, consider it a ranked list
btw I excluded Nostalghia

mathiasa

Post by mathiasa » January 7th, 2020, 10:07 am

Updated my list, made a Top 50 out of it. Left Nostalghia but deleted Orfeu Negro. Deleted some others too, but because of higher quality standards than last time. Top 3 are new:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/favo ... /mathiasa/

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » January 7th, 2020, 10:13 am

cinewest wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 2:44 am
Just took a look at the list generated by imdb / Italian for me, and would say that 50% of them are not really Italian films.

If you want to call this a poll of "favorite Italian movies" I think that a more limiting criteria needs to be used that involves language and principle participants.
That link is only a help, like it says in the OP: "Like always these do include co-productions, so you have to filter those out according to your own judgement. Of course you can always ask others here for their opinions." And that judgement could be based on the guidelines also stated in the OP: "some guidelines as to what to search for: you can look at production country, language and/or the nationality of the director/crew". This how we always do these country-polls.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 7th, 2020, 12:06 pm

Nostalghia is italian according to me. It has Italy as first production country on Moviemeter. But I understand concerns.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » January 7th, 2020, 3:23 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 10:13 am
cinewest wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 2:44 am

That link is only a help, like it says in the OP: "Like always these do include co-productions, so you have to filter those out according to your own judgement. Of course you can always ask others here for their opinions." And that judgement could be based on the guidelines also stated in the OP: "some guidelines as to what to search for: you can look at production country, language and/or the nationality of the director/crew". This how we always do these country-polls.
I appreciate your response, and made my comment based on the result of a country poll I saw last year that had far too many "foreign" entries.

kingink

Post by kingink » January 7th, 2020, 3:51 pm

Here is my list.
Glad to see I have added several new Italian films in my list!

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls072812220/

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » January 7th, 2020, 4:19 pm

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/my+f ... inncallme/

WiP, but as of now; first three ranked, the rest are not.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » January 7th, 2020, 6:21 pm

I just looked in on my Italian list on IMDb, not updated since 2011 ...

The slightly worrying thing is that my top 10 is essentially identical today.

Will spend some time tweaking and expanding it.

filmbantha

Post by filmbantha » January 7th, 2020, 7:31 pm

Here is my ranked list:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls093250733/

I'm fairly certain all 35 films in my list qualify as Italian but if anyone notices any glaring inclusions then please let me know and I will be happy to consider adjusting accordingly :thumbsup:

Thanks for hosting Lonewolf, I will look forward to the results.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 7th, 2020, 8:35 pm

I'm in doubt about Una pura formalità. Any opinions?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

albajos

Post by albajos » January 7th, 2020, 8:59 pm

joachimt wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 8:35 pm
It was nominated for the italian film awards David di Donatello so clearly italian.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 7th, 2020, 9:07 pm

albajos wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 8:59 pm
joachimt wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 8:35 pm
It was nominated for the italian film awards David di Donatello so clearly italian.
Thanks
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 7th, 2020, 9:07 pm

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls093257296/

1-23 ranked, rest unranked
ICM-profile

Caracortada

Post by Caracortada » January 8th, 2020, 10:03 am