Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Feb 16th), 2009 awards (Feb 21st), Mini-series (Feb 29th)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: The Good Fairy, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

How to know an film Production Country ?

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Tim2460

How to know an film Production Country ?

Post by Tim2460 » December 16th, 2019, 11:29 am

It seems ICM don't store the production country.

IMDB does it seems but it's not extracted when i extract my lists ...

Any clue ?

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 16th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Check the IMDb-page one by one or do an advanced search on a list or your ratings.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » December 16th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Info extracted from the List export @ IMDB are :

Position,Const,Created,Modified,Description,Title,URL,Title Type,IMDb Rating,Runtime (mins),Year,Genres,Num ... No country ;(

The rating export gives :

Const,Your Rating,Date Rated,Title,URL,Title Type,IMDb Rating,Runtime (mins),Year,Genres,Num Votes,Release ... No country as well :(

We're stuck here : there may a scripted solution but i don't do script !

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 16th, 2019, 5:19 pm

I know it’s not in the export. That’s why you need to do an advanced search on IMDb. Let’s say you want all movies from The Netherlands that you rated. With advanced search you select The Netherlands as country and a bit below you select “restrict to titles I’ve seen”. Then it displays all Dutch movies you’ve seen. You can use linkchump or similar to collect the urls.

I would give you a link as example but I’m on my phone right now.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 16th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Here's advanced search:
https://www.imdb.com/search/title/

Here's an example, all Dutch movies you've rated sorted by your rating:
https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?coun ... tings,desc

You can also filter your lists. For example, here are all Dutch movies on iCM Forum's Favorite Documentaries (all votes), sorted by your rating:
https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?coun ... tings,desc

What do you want exactly?
ICM-profile

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » December 16th, 2019, 7:47 pm

Ok didn't know about those options.

What i would like is add an "country" collum to my Excel spreadsheet witch contains obviously the official checks, extra stuff from the Perry books and a bunch of other movies ...

22 K lines/Films : i'll take a look at your links tomorow : thx !

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 16th, 2019, 8:30 pm

Would be hard to do that. The links I provided give movies with that production country, no matter if it's the first or second or whatever. Getting the primary production country is tricky or maybe even impossible to get for a big batch.
ICM-profile

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 16th, 2019, 11:02 pm

Tim2460 wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 7:47 pm
Ok didn't know about those options.

What i would like is add an "country" collum to my Excel spreadsheet witch contains obviously the official checks, extra stuff from the Perry books and a bunch of other movies ...

22 K lines/Films : i'll take a look at your links tomorow : thx !
If you have Python skills... you might be able to do something with the IMDbPY package. Haven't ever tried, though. :shrug:

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » December 19th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Unfortunately, as Joachim said, there's no clean and easy way, so I do it manually for my spreadsheet.

Do note, though, that Joachim's method is the easiest one, but also lists ALL production companies for a film, even those that only support a bit in financing.

For example, if I click on the second link, the first five films that show up for me are Wadjda, The Broken Circle Breakdown, Dunkirk, Train of Life, and Men Who Save the World. For me, none of these would I consider to actually be Dutch films. Instead, these are Saudi Arabian, Belgian, British, French, and Malaysian to me.
Example: Wadjda: Country: Saudi Arabia | Netherlands | Germany | Jordan | United Arab Emirates | USA

So, it's useful for listing all of the production countries, but not for determining which country a film is from, if that's what you're trying to do. And remember, all of this information is added by users, so some of it may be wrong, and it can be changed quite easily (for better or for worse).

shugs
Donator

Post by shugs » December 19th, 2019, 4:04 pm

Yeah, IMDb sucks major ass if you try to do anything remotely automated with it. I use the TMDb API for my movie related projects (https://www.themoviedb.org/documentation/api) but you do need some programming skills.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 19th, 2019, 8:13 pm

I wouldn't even want to try to start making notes in my spreadsheet about the countries of which movies are from. So many movies are very hard to place. I would never get through this task.
ICM-profile

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » December 19th, 2019, 9:25 pm

It's a daunting task at first, but it's relatively easy to maintain and update. There are some films that I'm never sure of, and sometimes I find out I've selected the wrong country (usually for newer releases where there isn't a lot of info online yet), but it definitely makes my job much easier when compiling lists for polls and for my own stats. Really, it's my love for having (accurate) stats that drove me to start tracking this.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 19th, 2019, 10:51 pm

All I can say is I'm glad this was one of the first things I added to my spreadsheet besides title, year, and rating. While I mostly follow IMDb's lead - as I've written elsewhere - I still choose which country makes the most sense to me: really don't believe there is a right/wrong answer if we're picking one of a list of five countries.

An aside: I've noticed that IMDb doesn't necessarily agree with other sources (like AMPAS, Wikipedia, the 1000 Movies book - which, btw, had an amazing number of disagreements with IMDb on release year!) Of course much of this comes down to definition. IMDb has chosen to use a financing model for classifying country of origin but another source might choose something like filming location, language, premiere location, or allow a country to 'claim' the film.

I went back to my spreadsheet twice - once when it was just under 10000 entries and once when it was well over (now it's over 15000) - and added data. The first time was to add the IMDb tt number (to clarify what exactly was being tracked, but just look at Heimat II, not even this bit of data is 'set in stone'!). The second time I added runtimes but also used that as a chance to revisit country as well since the two fields were displayed so close to one another. Yes, it was a daunting task, especially at the start, but doing something like 100 or 200 a day made it doable and I completed this project - twice!

Granted, country of origin will present a bit more of a challenge than runtime - well maybe. Since series runtimes often list an episode's allotted runtime (including commercial breaks), I still had a fair amount of work to try to get an actual real total estimated runtime sans commercials.

Last, I'll admit I'm not entirely consistent in my application of country rules: sometimes I say "yeah, let's give this to Country X even though all they did was provide financing since this is just commercial entertainment with virtually no cultural, linguistic, or artistic content". I often do this when the financing was provided by someone outside the US, so I've given France, Japan, China, Canada, Australia and who know what other countries credit for something we'd often just view as a Hollywood blockbuster (that was likely filmed around the planet, not to mention CG work being done in any number of offshore studios).

End of day, unless one plans to publish one's dataset as definitive, who cares if it's 'right' as defined by someone else! Do what makes the data most valuable for the user - you!

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » December 20th, 2019, 5:19 am

There is a google doc script shared over here couple of years ago which can get you teh IMDb countries if you provide the IMDb title Id. I dont have it now anyway.

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » December 20th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Iguess we could share the several spreadsheet we have around and grab from each one the collums we like the most ,)

Considering everyone used ttcodes somewhere... i could easily serach Vetical throught the lines...
Can you share yours Xianjiro so i can see if i can grab at least the official films country from it ?

Or just the country, name, year and ttcode colums for ex ?

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 20th, 2019, 9:36 pm

I could send a dump of my tt codes and countries I've assigned - but I use internet TLD codes for countries and only assign one per tt code

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » December 21st, 2019, 9:24 am

Really not a problem ;)