Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Feb 16th), 2009 awards (Feb 21st), Mini-series (Feb 29th)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: The Good Fairy, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st)

iCM Favorite Underrated Movies; Nominations topic - Deadline 3 Jan

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
RogerTheMovieManiac88

Re: iCM Favorite Underrated Movies; Nominations topic - Deadline 3 Jan

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » December 15th, 2019, 10:18 pm

Hi Lonewolf! Thank you so much for your considered, thoughtful, and perceptive handling of the preparatory discussion and hosting for this poll.

I've had so much fun running through potential parameters in my mind over the last while. In the end, I did change my minimum IMDb vote count requirement from 500 to 200 after careful thought.

This is how I worded my list description. I hope that this fits in with the spirit and intention of the poll:

''This list contains a selection of films that I regard as very special and rather underrated and under-appreciated by the general public and IMDb users. I have, for the purposes of this list, made a distinction between 'underseen' and 'underrated'. This is intended to be a list of films that are relatively well known to cinephiles. It is not primarily meant to be a list of ''hidden gems''. Similarly, it is not intended to be a list of ''guilty pleasures''. These are films that I genuinely think are exemplary and deserving of consideration for future elevation to the various established canonical endeavours.

I have decided to limit this list to feature-length films. In my rating system, a 6.5 rating denotes a relatively good film. I have therefore settled on an upper cut-off of 6.4 on IMDb. I selected from films with 200 or more IMDb ratings, as a number less than that struck me as definitely veering into more 'underseen' territory. I hope that these films that I have so savoured enjoy a rise in fortunes in the future.''

The first two entries in my list are ranked. The remaining 163 titles are unranked and arranged in no particular order: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091964264/.

I can't wait to see how the results play out!

:cheers:
Last edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88 on December 16th, 2019, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's all, folks!

cinewest

Post by cinewest » December 16th, 2019, 12:05 am

Cool list, Roger, and you are the first person I have come across who has tipped their hat to Vazante, a film I have been plugging all year.

You noted quite a few other titles in your top 25 from recent years that I’ll look into, as well.

In reviewing my own list, I have noticed that it features quite a few “underrated directors,” many of whom could have placed more films on a longer list

Cheers

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » December 16th, 2019, 8:50 am

Until further notice my list will now be ranked from 1-39 and 40+ unranked

Gordon_Gekko

Post by Gordon_Gekko » December 16th, 2019, 11:30 am

Okay this is realy difficult...

If I understand right, it's no strict rule that the movies have to had a imdb-rating lower 6.9?

Ranked:
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091942951/e ... _=ttls_edt

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 16th, 2019, 12:30 pm

You posted your edit-link, which leads to 404 for others. This is the correct link:
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091942951/
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » December 16th, 2019, 2:26 pm

cinewest wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 12:05 am
Cool list, Roger, and you are the first person I have come across who has tipped their hat to Vazante, a film I have been plugging all year.

You noted quite a few other titles in your top 25 from recent years that I’ll look into, as well.

In reviewing my own list, I have noticed that it features quite a few “underrated directors,” many of whom could have placed more films on a longer list

Cheers
Yes, I found 'Vazante' to be an engrossing and compelling film. I loved the focus of the film upon the female experience, the surrounds, the absences, and the interactions. A powerful and memorable film. Somewhat surprised that it has such a low rating on IMDb at present. I'm glad that it has another fan in you!
That's all, folks!

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » December 16th, 2019, 2:35 pm

I was thinking about this topic last night after posting my own list. I may add films to my selection that other people have listed. I only went through four or five lists last night but one film that caught my eye was Schumacher's '8MM', which Carmel had listed. It's at 6.5 on IMDb at present (I'm surprised to find it so high, considering its reputation) and I regard it as being in the 8.5 to 9/10 range. I'll probably add that and others in a similar situation, since this is a community event and there seems to be little cross-over between lists.
That's all, folks!

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » December 16th, 2019, 4:49 pm

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 10:18 pm
Hi Lonewolf! Thank you so much for your considered, thoughtful, and perceptive handling of the preparatory discussion and hosting for this poll.

I've had so much fun running through potential parameters in my mind over the last while. In the end, I did change my minimum IMDb vote count requirement from 500 to 200 after careful thought.

This is how I worded my list description. I hope that this fits in with the spirit and intention of the poll:

''This list contains a selection of films that I regard as very special and rather underrated and under-appreciated by the general public and IMDb users. I have, for the purposes of this list, made a distinction between 'underseen' and 'underrated'. This is intended to be a list of films that are relatively well known to cinephiles. It is not primarily meant to be a list of ''hidden gems''. Similarly, it is not intended to be a list of ''guilty pleasures''. These are films that I genuinely think are exemplary and deserving of consideration for future elevation to the various established canonical endeavours.

I have decided to limit this list to feature-length films. In my rating system, a 6.5 rating denotes a relatively good film. I have therefore settled on an upper cut-off of 6.4 on IMDb. I selected from films with 200 or more IMDb ratings, as a number less than that struck me as definitely veering into more 'underseen' territory. I hope that these films that I have so savoured enjoy a rise in fortunes in the future.''

The first two entries in my list are ranked. The remaining 163 titles are unranked and arranged in no particular order: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091964264/.

I can't wait to see how the results play out!

:cheers:
Hi Roger, thanks for the compliment. That’s nice to hear.
Your description is exactly what the list is about.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 16th, 2019, 11:24 pm

I have lots of misgivings about this whole idea - no need to rehash now - but fuck it I made up a list anyway:

Underrated is a Weasel Word

Top 50 ranked. One thing I noticed on others' lists and on my own (to some extent) was how dominant the current decade is; I suspect a lot of this is because the more recent films haven't "settled" into ratings yet, and because there is a bit more consistency of opinion towards older films - both poorly rated and highly rated - and thus there just aren't going to be so many 1940s films with 5.7 ratings that get on people's lists. I suspect this will also result in a lot of films I really dislike - or think are already "loved" enough - making the grade. But whatever, should be vaguely interesting anyway.

My methodology was complicated because, as many know I'm sure, I'm a high rater - I had over 500 films rated 9 or 10 with a 6.9 or lower IMDb rating, and I didn't want an immense list, so basically this is what I did -

< 7.0 rating - this was absolute

1000+ votes on IMDb for newer English-language films, 500+ votes for others

cut out most shorts and experimental stuff

appearing on no more than 4 official lists; I could have picked another number but 4 seemed right; my feeling is that "underrated" can't just mean IMDb ratings, as those are heavily trolled and not all that valuable, especially post-1990 or pre-1930. So - underrated by casual IMDb viewers AND by the critics and/or institutions and more "serious" viewers was my way of thinking. Also the 2 films I knew were going to top the list are both on 4 lists so I couldn't go lower :o . I thought about editing out films on particular lists like DTC or TSPDT but it was just too much work and I already spent more time than I can really afford to at this moment on this silly project.

And I still ended up with a pretty large list. What can I say, I'm a softie.
Some Stats for the CuriousShow

Official Lists:

4 - 17
3 - 21
2 - 46
1 - 64
0 - 77

Decades:
1910s - 5
1920s - 7
1930s - 14
1940s - 12
1950s - 21
1960s - 21
1970s - 23
1980s - 18
1990s - 34
2000s - 25
2010s - 46

Top single year was 1999, with 9

Directors with multiple films:

4 - Roger Corman, David Cronenberg, Joe Dante
3 - Clint Eastwood, Antonio Margheriti, Jacques Rivette, Jacques Tourneur
2 - Budd Boetticher, Terence Davies, Atom Egoyan, Richard Fleischer, Terry Gilliam, Alfred Hitchcock, Guy Maddin, Dariush Mehrjui, Tahmineh Milani, Manoel de Oliveira, Kelly Reichardt, James Sibley Watson & Melville Webber

31 films directed by women, 12 of them from this decade

Top countries - probably not perfectly accurate due to split productions & my just doing this off the top of my head

USA - 120
France - 22
UK - 17
Canada - 16
Iran - 8
Italy - 6
Germany - 5
Spain - 5

cinewest

Post by cinewest » December 17th, 2019, 4:56 am

@jeff_v, OldAle1,

Nice to see a couple more lists with some crossover to my own.
Had I eliminated everything over 6.9 on IMDb, I would have included several others from your lists, but I stuck to what I think has been most underrated, including a few in the low 7’s that I have at a 9 or a 10.
As OldAle noted, there seems to be very little crossover between the lists so far, which probably has a lot to do with how differently folks are considering the term, as much as the differing film taste on this board.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 17th, 2019, 2:54 pm

cinewest wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 4:56 am

As OldAle noted, there seems to be very little crossover between the lists so far, which probably has a lot to do with how differently folks are considering the term, as much as the differing film taste on this board.
That's not precisely what I said or meant but it's not entirely offbase either. What I'm seeing is a fairly high crossover between lists for certain controversial, love/it/hate/it films of this decade - I can think of three that I've seen on quite a few lists for example, all with average ratings below 6.5, all on multiple official lists, all talked about on these forums somewhat over the years. One of them is (high) on my list, the other two I disliked strongly - and I suspect this is indicative of what the final results will be, lots of films that we all know get mixed responses, and few that have attained anything remotely close to a consensus - not that many films on any lists can be called consensus favorites anyway. But with older films, yeah, I doubt there will be much crossover, and I suspect this will end up being one of the most modern-centric lists we have, apart from lists where modernity is built in. A big part of this probably has to do with peoples' focusing on official lists - most older films that are on official lists either have high ratings to begin with and high visibility, or are obscurities that just happened to make it to UNESCO or Anthology lists, things of that sort, and will have few votes and won't get a lot of consideration. Ratings and opinions do seem to sort themselves out over time and if you look at a list of, say, the most-rated films made before 1950 with ratings below 7:

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?titl ... votes,desc

how many of those look like they'll get a lot of votes here? Some will get mentioned once or twice I'm sure - I'd have put Things to Come on my ballot if I weren't ruling out films on lots of Official Lists - but a lot of these are second- or third-tier films from great directors, or Oscar nominees that haven't aged well, or films in series (Marx brothers, Universal horror) that aren't usually considered among the better outings in those series. And past the first page or two you get into films that are more and more obscure, and the chance that enough people here will have seen them AND like them enough to promote - slim. On the other hand with newer films, people don't have that kind of official-focus because new films aren't usually instantly official and even if they are, rarely make it to more than 2-3 lists in their first few years apart from IMDb lists - and of course if they're on the IMDb lists they have average ratings over 8 on that site, so they're not going to show up here.

And yeah, everybody's defining the term differently, and making their own rules as to what they'll include, which will further dampen the chances for a lot of films.

Gordon_Gekko

Post by Gordon_Gekko » December 17th, 2019, 6:02 pm

joachimt wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 12:30 pm
You posted your edit-link, which leads to 404 for others. This is the correct link:
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091942951/
Thanks! :thumbsup:

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » December 23rd, 2019, 8:29 pm

I went more extreme on the rules than most.

IMDb rating of 5.9 or lower
IMDb >1000 ratings
all rated 10/10 by me

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls093084501/

Managed 46 titles, ranked from 1-46 in preference order.
SpoilerShow
Zardoz (1974 - John Boorman)
The Keep (1983 - Michael Mann)
Heart of Midnight (1988 - Matthew Chapman)
La nuit des traquées / The Night of the Hunted (1980 - Jean Rollin)
High-Rise (2015 - Ben Wheatley)
Damsels in Distress (2011 - Whit Stillman)
Eye of the Beholder (1999 - Stephan Elliott)
Knight of Cups (2015 - Terrence Malick)
Spring Breakers (2012 - Harmony Korine)
Silent Trigger (1996 - Russell Mulcahy)
Twentynine Palms (2003 - Bruno Dumont)
Straight to Hell (1986 - Alex Cox)
Equinox (1992 - Alan Rudolph)
This World, Then The Fireworks (1997 - Michael Oblowitz)
The Spirit (2008 - Frank Miller)
Boarding Gate (2007 - Olivier Assayas)
What? (1972 - Roman Polanski)
Ett Hål i mitt hjärta / A Hole in My Heart (2004 - Lukas Moodysson)
Les rencontres d'après minuit / You and the Night (2013 - Yann Gonzalez)
Stereo (1969 - David Cronenberg)
Splice (2009 - Vincenzo Natali)
Rampart (2011 - Oren Moverman)
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning (2012 - John Hyams)
La Terza madre / The Third Mother (2007 - Dario Argento)
The Face of an Angel (2014 - Michael Winterbottom)
Vampiros lesbos (1971 - Jesus Franco)
The Alphabet Murders (1965 - Frank Tashlin)
Flowers in the Attic (1987 - Jeffrey Bloom)
Gas! -Or- It Became Necessary to Destroy the World in Order to Save It. (1970 - Roger Corman)
Trash Humpers (2009 - Harmony Korine)
The Black Dahlia (2006 - Brian de Palma)
Replicant (2001 - Ringo Lam)
Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982 - Tommy Lee Wallace)
Supergirl (1984 - Jeannot Szwarc)
Quintet (1979 - Robert Altman)
The Canyons (2013 - Paul Schrader)
Crawlspace (1986 - David Schmoeller)
Two Thousand Maniacs! (1964 - Herschell Gordon Lewis)
Cyborg (1989 - Albert Pyun)
Shocker (1989 - Wes Craven)
Adrenalin: Fear the Rush (1996 - Albert Pyun)
Cosmopolis (2012 - David Cronenberg)
In the Cut (2003 - Jane Campion)
Go go tales (2007 - Abel Ferrara)
Savage Grace (2007 - Tom Kalin)
Beyond the Poseidon Adventure (1979 - Irwin Allen)

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 23rd, 2019, 8:43 pm

matthewscott8 wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 8:29 pm

IMDb >1000 ratings
all rated 10/10 by me

SpoilerShow
Gas! -Or- It Became Necessary to Destroy the World in Order to Save It. (1970 - Roger Corman)
If you have 46 movies you rated 10/10 with an IMDb-rating below 6, that means you probably give 10/10 a lot easier than most people here.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

matthewscott8
Donator

Post by matthewscott8 » December 23rd, 2019, 10:39 pm

joachimt wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 8:43 pm
matthewscott8 wrote:

IMDb >1000 ratings
all rated 10/10 by me

SpoilerShow
If you have 46 movies you rated 10/10 with an IMDb-rating below 6, that means you probably give 10/10 a lot easier than most people here.
They're all movies on my top movie list, including some in my top 100. I often appreciate films with low IMDb ratings. I don't think that's very normal for people here 'cept maybe Onderhond.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 24th, 2019, 4:15 am

matthewscott8 wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 10:39 pm
joachimt wrote:
matthewscott8 wrote:

IMDb >1000 ratings
all rated 10/10 by me

SpoilerShow
They're all movies on my top movie list, including some in my top 100. I often appreciate films with low IMDb ratings. I don't think that's very normal for people here 'cept maybe Onderhond.
I have a total of 26 10/10 ratings out of over 3000 films...

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 24th, 2019, 2:52 pm

I think matthewscott and I need to start our own club. We'll call it the "Yeah we're high raters, want to make something of it, punk?" Society. I don't think we'll get many other joiners here...

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » December 24th, 2019, 3:12 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 2:52 pm
I think matthewscott and I need to start our own club. We'll call it the "Yeah we're high raters, want to make something of it, punk?" Society. I don't think we'll get many other joiners here...
I think you would. If you check the monthly threads it's crazy how many 8 or higher films people watch every month.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » December 24th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Onderhond wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 3:12 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 2:52 pm
I think you would. If you check the monthly threads it's crazy how many 8 or higher films people watch every month.
I do check them, and my totals are often very far above most of the ones I see. When I've contributed I usually only include films I rate 9+ and I have frequently had months with 30-40 films rated over 9. I suspect I've hit 100 films rated 8 in a month at least once though I don't keep track and it's too much trouble to try to figure it out. Keep in mind that I include short films - and I don't deliberately rate short films less, which also seems to be unusual here.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » December 24th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Okay, then I haven't said anything. If I get 3 8+ films, it's been a great month for me 😁

cinewest

Post by cinewest » December 24th, 2019, 4:42 pm

The way we "rate" movies is as subjective as our sense of what makes a good movie and even what moviemaking is, not to mention how we relate to the numbers we ascribe.

Case in point, I consider a 5 out of 10 as the balance point between thumbs up and thumbs down, and anything I rate higher has been worth my while. I don't get excited about 6's, but they often have things about them that I like, some times even a fair amount, though in those cases, there are serious flaws, as well. As for my 7's, I consider them all good, whereas for many a 7 is seen and experienced as very average (essentially my 5's).

Anything higher than a 7 is top 20 for a given year, and that my top 20's often include films I might call 7+. Eights usually find there way into my top 10's, nine's into my top 5's, and 10's are in my top 100 all time (I have a list of about 1000 films that I want to see, and as I see more of them, I expect that cracking my own top 1000 will require at least an 8 (It's almost that now) which means "very good" to me, though not quite outstanding enough to distinguish it further, even as I experience my 8's as all very satisfying.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » December 28th, 2019, 7:00 pm

-all under 6.9 on IMDB, 4000 votes minimum
-my rating 8/10 or higher (and I subjectively removed several that qualified on numbers, but that I feel get adequate appreciation in some fashion, e.g. Cannibal Holocaust)
-unranked because I can't figure out how to order them for this...

unranked

psychotronicbeatnik
Donator

Post by psychotronicbeatnik » December 29th, 2019, 12:19 am

I used the following criteria for my list:

IMDb rating under 6.9
2,000+ votes on IMDb (with one exception that has 1185 votes)
Personal rating of 8+ (ten w/ 10, twenty-eight w/ 9, and thirteen w/ 8)

To further focus my list I only allowed myself with one film per year and only looked at 1967-2017.

Unranked list of 51 titles presented chronologically from 1967-2017:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls093725447/

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » December 29th, 2019, 12:43 pm

My own list; https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091827176/

Sorry with all the holidays I haven’t been able to update the OP yet. Hope to do so soon.

monclivie

Post by monclivie » December 31st, 2019, 6:48 pm

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls093164079/ top 10 ranked, rest unranked
I included titles with at least 2.5 points of difference between my rating and IMDB's but excluded obvious bad movies/guilty pleasures that somehow appeal to me like Masterminds (2016) and couple of movies that have appropriately high rating everywhere else (e.g. Love & Friendship (2016)).

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 1st, 2020, 1:13 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 4:15 am
matthewscott8 wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 10:39 pm
joachimt wrote:

I have a total of 26 10/10 ratings out of over 3000 films...
I have 31 10/10 ratings out of 6000 films :P
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 1st, 2020, 1:14 am

Onderhond wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 3:33 pm
Okay, then I haven't said anything. If I get 3 8+ films, it's been a great month for me 😁
If I get 3 8+ films in a year, it's been a great year for me (I had 1 in 2019)... :(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

sol
Donator

Post by sol » January 1st, 2020, 4:04 pm

My list:

sol https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/underrated/sol-/

RANKED

As expected, a large focus on horror since it's the most underrated genre out there. :unsure:

My methodology:

I went through everyone's lists and added films that I liked and thought could possibly fit the "underrated" label. Every single film listed in my ballot is on at least one other ballot. I aim to keep scouring other people's ballots as they are posted and may add more films before the deadline. We'll see.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Jimi Antiloop

Post by Jimi Antiloop » January 2nd, 2020, 12:33 am

:ICM: :letbxd: :Crtiticker: Reality Checks on :imdb:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”― Philip K. Dick

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 2nd, 2020, 2:28 am

I've been trying to whittle down my list for a while, but because I don't really know how the general public etc feel about a lot of these films I had to just rely on the IMDb rating. Also looking at other people's lists it made me wish my rating system was less stupid. Anyway, I excluded films with <1000 votes and >7.0 rating. I wanted to try and get an even 100 but couldn't delete any more, and the lowest rating difference is 1.6.

Ranked by difference between my rating and IMDb rating; as much as I kinda want to manually order the list and put Murder Party at #1, it's the easiest and fairest solution. So I guess this is really my most underrated favourite films rather than my most favourite underrated films :P

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091251042/

gromit82
Donator

Post by gromit82 » January 2nd, 2020, 3:39 am

Here's my list (ranked):

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls093309451/

All films have IMDb ratings below 6.9, and all the feature films have at least 8,000 votes (although I did include shorts with fewer votes).

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » January 2nd, 2020, 5:01 am

I've added 15 to 20 titles that other participants have listed. The top two in my list are still ranked. All the remaining films - including any further additions - are unranked.
That's all, folks!

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » January 2nd, 2020, 3:18 pm

UPDATED THE OP. Please check if your list is stated and linked correctly!

I counted 37 participants (so far). Which is more than I thought we would have. Can anybody check this number please for me?

Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff » January 2nd, 2020, 3:56 pm

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls093376004/

Films <7 on imdb that I rated >=7.0 with a difference of at least 1.6 compared to imdb rating. Limited to 4,000 votes on imdb. Ranked by the absolute difference between my rating and the imdb rating.

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » January 2nd, 2020, 4:52 pm

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/laki ... lakigigar/

unranked

Based on low IMDb ratings and/or low appreciation according to my feeling on this forum.

Sorry for including Twilight, but I feel it's underrated and often regarded as an extremely bad film, so middlefinger for it. :banana:
(and edit, i'm apparently not the only one, imagine it making the list).
Last edited by Lakigigar on January 2nd, 2020, 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Captain_Zimmermann

Post by Captain_Zimmermann » January 2nd, 2020, 6:51 pm

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/unde ... immermann/(Unranked)

I went by Imdb-ratings but excluded some films that didn't feel underrated to me.