Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Feb 16th), 2009 awards (Feb 21st), Mini-series (Feb 29th)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: The Good Fairy, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st)

iCM Favorite Underrated Movies; Nominations topic - Deadline 3 Jan

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
Lonewolf2003
Donator

iCM Favorite Underrated Movies; Nominations topic - Deadline 3 Jan

Post by Lonewolf2003 » December 6th, 2019, 4:10 pm

iCM Favorite Underrated Movies
Nominations

For this poll we are going to choose our Favorite Underrated Movies. This means movies you feel don't get the appreciation by the "general" public you feel they deserve. Ways to determine that is f.e. to look at the IMDb rating*. An IMDb rating of 6.9 is average, so movies with a rating below that can be considered underrated. Therefor it's recommended you use this IMDb rating (or an equivalent on other sites) as your guideline. Of course it's possible you feel a movie with a higher rating is underrated still. To give an even better inside into if a movie is underrated it's advised you compare your rating with the IMDb one (or the site you use). There might be movies that have a low appreciation by the public (i.o.w. have a low rating) that do get a lot of appreciation by other groups, like critics or your fellow forum users. It's left to your own judgement if you consider those underrated. Of course you are free to ask for advice from others about and discuss specific movies in this topic.
*There are a lot of criticism one can have about IMDb ratings, but it's the best tool available to estimate the rating of a movie by the public.

What we clearly are not looking for in this poll is hidden gems, so if a movie has very little checks or votes you should ask yourself if it's really underrated or just underseen.

I will keep the right to remove movies from the final list or to disqualify whole lists after consultation with others here.

DEALINE IS 3 JANUARY 2020
  • Shorts, mini-series and TV-episodes from anthology series where the episodes are unrelated, are allowed. Tv-series aren't allowed.*
    *Imdb will be leading in this, but if you have good arguments exceptions to the rule can be made in consultation
  • Imdb-lists or iCM-lists are accepted. (If you can't make one of those, ask another user to help you out.)
  • Lists can be any length.
  • Each nominee can only be named once (of course)
  • Lists can be ranked or unranked or partially-ranked. In a partially-ranked list, the top X films are ranked and everything after that point is unranked. When not specified I will consider a list as ranked.
  • Movies from 2018 and 2019 are ineligible.
Some help:
Movies with a IMDb rating of 6.9 or lower, you rated on IMDb

Please check if your list is stated and linked correctly. So there won't be any hassle with having to recalculate the results after we have started. Any volunteer who wants to count participants with me?
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on January 4th, 2020, 4:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » December 6th, 2019, 6:48 pm

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/most ... onderhond/ (ranked)

Based on:
A copy of my Top 525

Filtered on:
10/10 rated films with an IMDb score < 6.5
09/10 rated films with an IMDb score < 6.0
08/10 rated films with an IMDb score < 5.5

Filtered on:
+400 votes on IMDb

Ranking based on:
My original Top 525 ranking, so quality rather than "most obscure".

Tip:
Don't trust the IMDb vote counts/ratings on ICM, they can be off a little.

I'm never doing this again by the way. After running through my list of absolute favorites looking for low scores (such a fun thing to do), I scraped the list again to get rid of all the films with low vote counts (very confrontational). That's a perfect one-two of "people hate this film I like" and "they don't even give enough fucks to even watch this one".

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » December 6th, 2019, 7:09 pm

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091650695/

Chose films with at least 4,000 user ratings on imdb

2018-2019 films which should be on there:
The Beach Bum
Anon
In the Tall Grass
Under the Silver Lake

Big favourites I probably won't be adding: Stoker, Primer, Upstream Color, Under the Skin, Mandy, Enemy, Amer, Antichrist, The Rules of Attraction, The Room, A Snake of June, ...
Last edited by Carmel1379 on December 7th, 2019, 1:58 am, edited 7 times in total.
IMDb, letterboxd
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Well here he is skidded out onto the Zone like a planchette on a Ouija board, and what shows up inside the empty circle in his brain might string together into a message, might not, he'll just have to see.

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 6th, 2019, 7:30 pm

Filtering my IMDb-ratings on difference between my rating and IMDb-average, I come up with a lot of early cinema shorts. Somehow a lot of people rate these very low.

I'm now going to include all these random shorts, because I don't think this is what we're interested here. Maybe I'll leave in a few interesting ones.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 6th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Onderhond wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 6:48 pm
Filtered on:
10/10 rated films with an IMDb score < 6.5
Then why didn't you vote for this one?
ICM-profile

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » December 6th, 2019, 8:21 pm

Very short list: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091684863/ (unranked)

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 6th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Here's my ranked list:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091689515/

The upper part is ranked as favorite underrated movies, the lower part as most underrated movies.
ICM-profile

Gorro
Donator

Post by Gorro » December 6th, 2019, 9:05 pm

My ranked list:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/gorr ... ies/gorro/

Movies I rated 8 or higher on IMDb with an IMDb score of 6.9 or lower.

Removed movies with fewer than 400 checks on iCheckMovies, as well as movies on TSPDT or on 10 or more official lists (The Tree of Life, The New World, Performance and The Man Who Fell to Earth).

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » December 6th, 2019, 9:30 pm

joachimt wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 7:56 pm
Then why didn't you vote for this one?
Because.

Found this out too late (but mentioned it in my post that ICM's IMDb score/votes shouldn't be fully trusted. I'm sure I missed a couple of others because of that, but I'm really not going to recheck. Will add Avalon though, noticed it in Carmel's list already.

russa03

Post by russa03 » December 6th, 2019, 10:48 pm

==
Last edited by russa03 on December 7th, 2019, 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » December 7th, 2019, 1:02 am

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091201084/

I only included films rated 6.9 or lower with at least 400 votes on IMDb.

Smoover

Post by Smoover » December 7th, 2019, 1:20 am

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091681370/
Unranked
Any Movie <6.9 I rated 8 or higher
Maybe some movies <6 I rated with 7
Last edited by Smoover on December 7th, 2019, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » December 7th, 2019, 3:21 am

Unranked
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091206668/

I will probably add a few more as I think of them.

Everything is below 6.9 on imdb. I also didn't include any major award winners or movies on the 500<400 list. And I eliminated anything with less than 2,000 votes on imdb, which unfortunately wiped out a bunch of good movies: Go for Sisters, Amigo, The Italian, The Raid, Casa de los Babys, Ramrod, Desert Fury.

And I took out anything I haven't seen in 20 or more years because I don't trust my rating today of those movies would be anywhere close to how I liked them when I first saw them: The Daytrippers, The Muse, Father's Day (don't laugh -- in 1997 I loved it).
Last edited by blocho on December 9th, 2019, 10:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » December 7th, 2019, 3:41 am

I've decided to list only those films I think are at least 1 point below where they should be on imdb,* and a quick analysis has me noticing some reasons:
Most of mine are not in English, would be considered "arthouse" (films many simply cannot grasp), and some are probably considered "strange," or "perverse" by a sizable number of viewers:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091202348/

*The problem is that there are a bunch of films rated 7 and above on imdb that are also at least a point undervalued, but the rules don't allow them to be considered. Three Times, Holy Motors, Code Unknown, Sex and Lucia, Cyclo, Last Tango in Paris, Mother & Son, and Cabeza de Vaca all rate at least 2.5 points below where I have them on imdb, and would certainly be among the most underrated for me.

As for those who have suffered most on my list, I have two films on my list with james franco that rated among the lowest on imdb for me, and arthouse women directors also seem to get less love than their male counterparts (I have 3 films by Clair Denis and 3 by Lucrecia Martel on my list of 100)
Last edited by cinewest on December 7th, 2019, 8:41 am, edited 6 times in total.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 7th, 2019, 8:23 am

russa03 wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 10:48 pm
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/unde ... s/russa03/ ranked

all films have a rating of 3.45 or lower on rateyourmusic.com
Funny how different sources lead to different results. Entre les murs has a rating of 7.5 on IMDb. Hard to call that underrated, even if you rated it 10/10.
ICM-profile

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » December 7th, 2019, 4:05 pm

cinewest wrote:
December 7th, 2019, 3:41 am
I've decided to list only those films I think are at least 1 point below where they should be on imdb,* and a quick analysis has me noticing some reasons:
Most of mine are not in English, would be considered "arthouse" (films many simply cannot grasp), and some are probably considered "strange," or "perverse" by a sizable number of viewers:

*The problem is that there are a bunch of films rated 7 and above on imdb that are also at least a point undervalued, but the rules don't allow them to be considered. Three Times, Holy Motors, Code Unknown, Sex and Lucia, Cyclo, Last Tango in Paris, Mother & Son, and Cabeza de Vaca all rate at least 2.5 points below where I have them on imdb, and would certainly be among the most underrated for me.

As for those who have suffered most on my list, I have two films on my list with james franco that rated among the lowest on imdb for me, and arthouse women directors also seem to get less love than their male counterparts (I have 3 films by Clair Denis and 3 by Lucrecia Martel on my list of 100)
Their are no very strict rules about the IMDb rating, the 6.9 cutoff is a guideline. ;) I see that the movies you mentioned are in the lower 7s, if you really feel those are underrated, cause you rated them 9-10, you can add them.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » December 7th, 2019, 4:09 pm

joachimt wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 7:30 pm
Filtering my IMDb-ratings on difference between my rating and IMDb-average, I come up with a lot of early cinema shorts. Somehow a lot of people rate these very low.

I'm now going to include all these random shorts, because I don't think this is what we're interested here. Maybe I'll leave in a few interesting ones.
I'm not surprised many people rate those so low, cause many don't merit beside historic value to me. But yeah, not what we are looking for here I think too.

russa03

Post by russa03 » December 7th, 2019, 6:40 pm

joachimt wrote:
December 7th, 2019, 8:23 am
russa03 wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 10:48 pm
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/unde ... s/russa03/ ranked

all films have a rating of 3.45 or lower on rateyourmusic.com
Funny how different sources lead to different results. Entre les murs has a rating of 7.5 on IMDb. Hard to call that underrated, even if you rated it 10/10.
I'll skip this poll, it's too vague. If there were strict rules it might make sense but if it's up to everyone's own understanding of what's underrated and using the rough guide set out I don't think it works.

Caracortada

Post by Caracortada » December 7th, 2019, 7:26 pm

So Underrated!

It's based on a comparison between their imdb score and my personal score.

Category 1 = imdb 6.5 or lower; personal 8 or higher.
Category 2 = imdb 5.5 or lower; personal 7.
Category 3 = imdb 5.0 or lower; personal 6.

The result: a lot of comedies and films with a young woman in a leading role.
Last edited by Caracortada on December 7th, 2019, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » December 7th, 2019, 7:29 pm

Unranked, in no order. Films ranked 6.8 or lower on IMDb that I rate quite a bit higher.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/burn ... burneyfan/

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 7th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Ranked: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/maxw ... xwelldeux/

This is an absurd list that makes me happy.

My methods: Restricted to movies I rated at least 2 points higher than the IMDB average rating, movies under a 7.0 IMDB rating, at least 1000 ratings on IMDB, and removed comedy specials. I ranked by the difference between my rating and IMDB rating, breaking ties with my own expert and flawless judgment and taste. Some heartbreaking omissions that I think fall into the "underseen" camp, but 25 films.

Movie 43 for the win.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 7th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Caracortada wrote:
December 7th, 2019, 7:26 pm
So Underrated!
Access denied.
ICM-profile

Caracortada

Post by Caracortada » December 7th, 2019, 10:50 pm

joachimt wrote:
December 7th, 2019, 10:20 pm
Caracortada wrote:
December 7th, 2019, 7:26 pm
So Underrated!
Access denied.
Thanks, it's open now.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » December 7th, 2019, 11:49 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
December 7th, 2019, 4:05 pm
cinewest wrote:

Their are no very strict rules about the IMDb rating, the 6.9 cutoff is a guideline. ;) I see that the movies you mentioned are in the lower 7s, if you really feel those are underrated, cause you rated them 9-10, you can add them.
Looks like I'll have to redo my list <_<

OK, I've modified my criteria for "underrated" to include films up to a 7.4 rating on imdb, as long as I believe they deserve at least 1 point more:

Last edited by cinewest on December 8th, 2019, 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » December 8th, 2019, 12:46 am

I looked at my potential pool of films for the first time and I have no idea how to even start this list... There are a lot of horror films, obviously, and it's pretty hard to determine their 'underratedness' in relation to their popularity within the community. I also don't spend much time in other communities outside this forum and iCM so it's mostly going to be based around those groups (and the lists). Definitely gonna be a tough list to make.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Leopardi
Donator

Post by Leopardi » December 8th, 2019, 3:29 am

All right, here's my method for making the list (all easily done with an exported IMDb list of my ratings, except for step 6):

1) Calculate delta = (My rating) - (IMDb rating) and remove all titles with delta < 1
2) Remove all titles where my IMDb rating is 7 or lower (there may be underrated films below that threshold but I don't care enough about them to list them)
3) Remove all titles with IMDb rating above 7.1 (these are already well-regarded)
4) Remove all titles with fewer than 1000 votes on IMDb (these aren't popular enough to know whether they're underrated or just underseen)
5) Look at the IMDb votes of 7.0 and 7.1 and keep only the titles I really love (only 5 in this group)
6) Remove all titles that are on 3 or more official lists (I'm still weeding these out, so if you see any let me know - thanks!)
7) Remove all titles from 2018 and 2019
8) Sort by delta (largest to smallest)
9) Do a little minor shuffling based on my taste

And here's my (weird) ranked list

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091212358/

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » December 8th, 2019, 5:28 am

For this, I have decided to go with a 6.4 maximum rating (since 6.5, for me, signifies an average to good film) and films with at least 500 votes. After playing around with 250 and 1,000, I think this one fits for me. One aspect that I'm uncertain about is whether to include early shorts (or indeed any shorts) - many of which are around the 5.9-6.5 range.
That's all, folks!

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » December 8th, 2019, 9:13 am

Here is my ranked list (which is still a work in progress at the moment). All the movies are 6.9 or lower and have more than 1000 votes on IMDb. This does mean it is restricted to movies I have seen in about the last 3.5 years (when I started rating movies) but oh well.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/my+f ... es/zzzorf/

Caracortada

Post by Caracortada » December 8th, 2019, 1:54 pm

My idea is to see this as a list of the best movies with an imdb rating of 6.5 and below. There are so many good movies with a rating of 6.6 to 6.9 that it becomes less interesting, not to mention those with 7 or more. This should really be about movies that are considered bad by the general public while you really think they are quite good.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 8th, 2019, 6:18 pm

cinewest wrote:
December 7th, 2019, 11:49 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
cinewest wrote:

OK, I've modified my criteria for "underrated" to include films up to a 7.4 rating on imdb, as long as I believe they deserve at least 1 point more:

Do you use decimal ratings? Otherwise 1 point difference wouldn't make sense as a voting strategy (well, personally I think it's too small a difference anyway). I don't use decimal ratings, because I often feel like watching a movie on a different day (in a different mood or whatever) could have resulted in one point difference from me. Rewatching confirms that. So when I watch a movie and I hesitate between a 7 and 8 and I decide to rate it 8, would I call it underrated if the IMDb-average is 7.0? Certainly not. Do you?
ICM-profile

cinewest

Post by cinewest » December 9th, 2019, 4:05 pm

joachimt wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 6:18 pm
cinewest wrote:
December 7th, 2019, 11:49 pm
Lonewolf2003 wrote:

I

Do you use decimal ratings? Otherwise 1 point difference wouldn't make sense as a voting strategy (well, personally I think it's too small a difference anyway). I don't use decimal ratings, because I often feel like watching a movie on a different day (in a different mood or whatever) could have resulted in one point difference from me. Rewatching confirms that. So when I watch a movie and I hesitate between a 7 and 8 and I decide to rate it 8, would I call it underrated if the IMDb-average is 7.0? Certainly not. Do you?
I can definitely experience a variance of a point on different viewings (some times even more), and also have some trouble deciding on solid numbers. Example: A film like "I Am Not A Witch," which is one that barely squeaked onto my list has fluctuated between roughly 7.2 and 8.2, for me, but is definitely better than the 6.9 it rates on imdb. Most of the others on my list were easier calls, but I did not discriminate against films that scored between 6.9 and 7.4 on imdb, if they impressed my as clearly underrated.
I also didn't eliminate all films on more than 3 official lists if they had imdb scores that were far too low in my opinion, nor did I eliminate all those with low watch counts just because, and pretty much for the same reason.
My bottom line came down to my gut feeling of whether their imdb rating really bothered me or not....

crumbthumber

Post by crumbthumber » December 9th, 2019, 5:55 pm

Unranked

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/crum ... mbthumber/

I took all movies i have rated 4.5 or 5 Stars on Letterboxd.
Removed Movies with > 3.5 Stars on Letterboxd
Removed Movies with > 6.8 Rating on IMDB
Removed Movies with < 200 Views on ICM

Interesting that almost half of my list is in the Horror genre.

Opio

Post by Opio » December 11th, 2019, 9:30 am

My ranked list:
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091283972/
All selections have an average IMDB rating under 6.9, have at least 400 checks on ICM -- to avoid overlap with my <400 list -- and I've rated them at least a 7 on IMDB. Sometimes there isn't a big difference between my rating and the average IMDB rating, but my overall IMDB rating average is fairly low I think: 5.6.

TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown » December 11th, 2019, 9:40 pm

Ranked https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/trav ... versetown/

Topped my list with Spring Breakers (of course) and then 3 beloved films that got an "F" from CinemaScore audiences.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 12th, 2019, 5:47 am

I got a feeling I already know which movie is going to win this poll. <_<
ICM-profile

cinewest

Post by cinewest » December 12th, 2019, 7:01 am

Looks like it's turning into a "guilty pleasures" poll, with a heavy dose of horror or weird.

Eve-Lang-El-Coup

Post by Eve-Lang-El-Coup » December 12th, 2019, 7:58 am

My list is ordered by the difference between imdb rating and my static rating and is mainly filled with sci-fi.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091477980/

musikurt
Donator

Post by musikurt » December 14th, 2019, 2:43 pm

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls091954762/

Ranked

1. Pulled titles with avg. rating 6.9+ with personal rating of 8+ (excluding those released in 2018 & 2019)
2. Sorted by difference between personal rating & avg. rating, then by personal rating (then tweaked within that by preference)