Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Feb 16th), 2009 awards (Feb 21st), Mini-series (Feb 29th)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: The Good Fairy, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

World Cup, Season 4, Match 1A: Canada vs England vs Estonia vs Iran (Dec 29th)

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
sol
Donator

Re: World Cup, Season 4, Match 1A: Canada vs England vs Estonia vs Iran (Dec 29th)

Post by sol » December 10th, 2019, 9:54 am

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

For the record, I have long accepted that my taste in film is highly individualistic, unusual and borderline eccentric, so it's not so much to do with being disheartened about how my film is performing but rather just a case of this being yet another negative during a time in my life where I am not in the best mental head space.

We'll see how things go. I am having trouble mustering up the enthusiasm to watch any films at all, let alone ones specifically handpicked. And I'm certainly not in the mood to discuss them in detail either, hence why I have neglected my hosting duties on the weekly thread. I guess it doesn't help either that tailor my viewings choices around the Official Challenges and none of the current ones are especially conducive to light escapist entertainment. I don't know. Maybe I will end up participating here; it's just something that I don't want to think about right now.
Former IMDb message boards user // iCM | IMDb | Letterboxd | My top 600 films // Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » December 11th, 2019, 4:47 pm

1. Risttuules
2. Kajaki
3. Why Shoot the Teacher?
4. Bashu, gharibeye koochak

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » December 15th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Risttuules 8
Bashu, gharibeye koochak 7-
Why Shoot the Teacher 5+
Kajaki 5 watching it gave me anxiety and PTSD
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 15th, 2019, 8:32 pm

England was getting closer to second place, but it's still this order:

Image Risttuules: 1.588 (41-10)
Image Bashu, gharibeye koochak: 2.412 (27-24)
Image Kajaki: 2.706 (22-29)
Image Why Shoot the Teacher?: 3.294 (12-39)
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » December 16th, 2019, 9:11 am

Incidentally I have watched all four films for about twenty minutes and had to stop for various reasons.

Had to stop Bashu as some work came up, when the mother offered the kid some food. Bombing scenes were impressive.
Started watching Kajaki in phone but realized the beautiful landscapes in a pristine quality picture deserved to be watched in a big screen
My net connection went down while watching Why Shoot in youtube when Cort realized he wouldn't get any real salary
Slept watching Risttuules within minutes. Not fault of the film. I was very tired. Have to start from the beginning as I forgot what I watched.

So far this is the order of preferring. Lets see how it goes when I finish them.

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » December 16th, 2019, 6:23 pm

:lol: thanks for sharing tommy, no more bad karma for this round please :worship:
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

Asberg

Post by Asberg » December 18th, 2019, 12:22 am

1. Risttuules :thumbsup:
2. Bashu, gharibeye koochak :turned:
3. Kajaki :turned:
4. Why Shoot the Teacher? :ermm:

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » December 19th, 2019, 3:08 am

1. Bashu
2. Why Shoot the Teacher
3. Risttuules
4. Kajaki

Muellwind

Post by Muellwind » December 21st, 2019, 3:19 pm

1. Bashu, gharibeye koochak
2. Risttuules
3. Kajaki
4. Why Shoot the Teacher?

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 21st, 2019, 4:44 pm

ICM-profile

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » December 22nd, 2019, 11:12 am

1. Bashu, The Little Stranger - This movie handled its subject matter quite well and I was quite interested in the goings on (I am a sucker for a coming-of-age story after all). I did have a problem with the different languages. Not that it ruined the movie but more when they were talking in different tongues there was no distinguishing them so later when they started to understand each other it started to get a little confusing. Maybe it could have been easily fixed by using different colour subtitles for each language, all the same though it didn't effect the movie much at all for me. In the end a good movie that I am glad I got a chance to see it. 7/10
2. Kajaki - Now I'm not a war movie fan and at the beginning I really thought this movie was going the way a lot of this genre normally does. Once the first mine is blown though things start to pick up. Not to be mistaken for a big blockbuster Hollywood film this movie allows to more rely on the tension that is built as their situation gets more dire. The movie definitely picked up the more I watched. 6/10
3. In the Crosswind - There are times in a career of an avid moviewatcher were a movie comes along that is so unique it just blows you away, this was one of those experiences. The way the movie presented the story in still frame and roving camera would probably not work in any other movie but the impact it gave here was perfect.
In saying this though I did struggle with the movie a little bit. I mean I liked what I watched and appreciated what it accomplished but in the long run it just wasn't completely for me. In saying it though I feel like anyone who has any passion for cinema should at least watch it once so that they can feel the impact that this movie gives. 6/10
4. Why Shoot the Teacher? - I could tell early on that this movie wasn't really for me. Unfortunately the comedy did not do anything for me. I know what they were going for and on the odd occasion I could appreciate the attempt but overall it just all fell flat. 2/10

zhangalan

Post by zhangalan » December 22nd, 2019, 3:51 pm

1. Risttuules
2. Why Shoot the Teacher
3. Bashu
4. Kajaki

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 22nd, 2019, 4:41 pm

one week left
ICM-profile

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » December 22nd, 2019, 5:46 pm

I'm not sure if I'll find the time to watch all 4 films, but I watched 2 so far.

Bashu - 7.5
Risttuules - 6.5
(not a vote)

Bashu - In 1980s Iran, were people really that racist? The racism seemed a bit exaggerated and hard to believe. I also thought the main character's acting wasn't very good. Other than that, I liked the movie.

Risttuules - I liked the cinematography, and the style was interesting, but I got bored within 20 minutes. I didn't care at all about the story or the characters.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » December 22nd, 2019, 9:22 pm

1. Kajaki
2. Bashu, gharibeye koochak
3. Risttuules

Kajaki is a new addition to my favorites list - this one just worked for me; biggest reason was that they weren't really fighting an enemy, just a situation. Bashu surprised me, as I thought I'd hate it (I generally don't like films focusing on kids), but it came together and worked as a nice commentary on being good to and accepting of others as well as on the politics of the area. Risttuules was beautiful to look at and embodies the phrase "this film is a visual poem", but I got a D+ in Studies in Poetry in college, so I didn't connect with it. Teacher had too many things stacked against it for me (e.g., kids, dry humor, a really boring landscape) and just didn't do enough to overcome those odds.

Solid choices and thanks to the managers - no regrets on any of these.

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » December 23rd, 2019, 5:25 am

1. Kajaki - 7.5
2. Risttuules - 7
3. Why Shoot the Teacher? - 6.5
4. Bashu, gharibeye koochak - 6.5

I liked the intensity of Kajaki, greatly supported by audio and visual departments. Risttuules's visual style saved it from a not-so-interesting storyline. Teacher was mildly entertaining. Felt good to see Cort in the receiving end after Harold and Maude. Bashu, while good, kind of annoyed me by its one dimensional characters and average acting. I liekd the lead actress though. Her energy was impressive.

beavis

Post by beavis » December 23rd, 2019, 7:09 am

1. Bashu, gharibeye koochak - 8,5
2. Risttuules - 8,5
3. Why Shoot the Teacher? - 7
4. Kajaki - 6,5

1 and 2 are very close for me (as are 3 and 4 actually, but of a clearly different class). At this moment I'm picking Bashu, but they are hard to compare

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » December 23rd, 2019, 11:47 am

Image Risttuules: 56-19
Image Bashu, gharibeye koochak: 44-31
Image Kajaki: 32-43
Image Why Shoot the Teacher?: 18-57

6 days, 22 hours left.
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on December 27th, 2019, 3:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » December 23rd, 2019, 10:15 pm

1. Bashu
2. Why Shoot the Teacher?
3. Risttuules
4. Kajaki

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » December 24th, 2019, 5:08 pm

1. Kajaki (2014) 6/10
2. Risttuules (2014) 6/10
A real blast to look at, but I think I would have prefer it as a short film.

3. Why Shoot the Teacher? (1977) 5/10
Some beautiful Canadian landscapes, and I enjoyed having a look into the Canadian snowy rural life.

4. Bashu, gharibeye koochak (1989) 4/10

edward5

Post by edward5 » December 27th, 2019, 10:21 am

1. Bashu
2. Risttuules
and
4. Kajaki

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 27th, 2019, 2:21 pm

The last seven votes Kajaki was either #1 or #4.

Most popular order. This was voted 5 times out of 28 votes:
Estonia-Iran-England-Canada

Which has also been the order of the movies in the ranking for a while:

Little less than three days left.
ICM-profile

cayado-coro

Post by cayado-coro » December 27th, 2019, 3:37 pm

1. Iran - Bashu, gharibeye koochak
2. England - Kajaki
3. Estonia - Risttuules
4. Canada - Why Shoot the Teacher?

Gorro
Donator

Post by Gorro » December 27th, 2019, 11:56 pm

1. Risttuules
2. Bashu, gharibeye koochak
3. Kajaki

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » December 28th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Armoreska wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 3:59 am
Some English-speaking country is going home. Estonia will be hard to beat (and off to a flying start).
Congrats to Estonia and Iran. The upset is complete. Both English countries going home.

Narrowly avoided submitting the most mainstream order!

Love the graph, JT.
Wow, England was about to challenge Iran at mid point there.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 28th, 2019, 6:45 pm

It's not over yet. Season 3 had an average vote count of 37 and started with 47 votes in match 1A. We are now at 30 votes. So I hope to get quite a few more votes in the last 1.5 days.
ICM-profile

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » December 29th, 2019, 1:45 am

1. Risttuules
2. Kajaki
3. Bashu, gharibeye koochak

Mochard

Post by Mochard » December 29th, 2019, 6:25 am

1. Kajaki - 7.5/10
2. Bashu, gharibeye koochak - 6/10
3. Why Shoot the Teacher? - 5/10
4. Risttuules - 3/10

Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez » December 29th, 2019, 11:42 am

I go with the two less obvious and less arty choices.

1.Kajaki
2.Why Shoot the Teacher?
3.Bashu, gharibeye koochak
4.Risttuules

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » December 29th, 2019, 6:59 pm

1. Bashu, gharibeye koochak
2. Risttuules
4. Kajaki

All good films I'm glad to have seen -- I wish I could put them all through! Thanks, sol, filmbantha, jvv, and Nathan for your choices!

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » December 30th, 2019, 7:41 am

1. GBR - Kajaki - 8ish
2. CAN - Why Shoot the Teacher? - 7.5ish
3. IRN - Bashu, gharibeye koochak - 7ish
4. EST - Risttuules - 6ish

The first three are kind of close, and maybe I'll rate Risttuules even lower when I get around to it; it's hard for me to rate impressive visuals (and music) that ultimately don't enhance the story for me.

I didn't think Why Shoot the Teacher wasn't nearly as bad as everyone was making it out to be. Found it rather flawed and hackneyed (maybe not the right word) for the first twenty minutes, but then things settled in and I increasingly enjoyed it as the runtime went on. Would love to see this one get a restoration

I found In the Crosswind terribly boring. An important story, and visually stunning.... for the first five minutes. Then it gets tedious and drawn out. I spent the rest of the film actually reading about the deportations online, while glancing back to read the subtitles and occasionally enjoy the tableau. Not a style of film that resonates with me; I'm not an aural learner at all, and this played kind of like an audiobook of letters read slowly, so it didn't hold my interest. mjf summed it up pretty well.

Bashu was a mixed bag. It's an excellent story, but somehow felt unfulfilled. I can't really put my finger on it. The fake boar was unintentionally hilarious. Plus, I didn't buy the woman's sixth sense of knowing when the boar was near.

Kajaki was too intense for me, but I still think it was good. I had to keep pausing it. I agree with Armo's experience of it giving him anxiety. It made me uncomfortable, squeamish, and I almost didn't want to finish the film... but it's not supposed to be a cozy romcom, it's supposed to confront you with the hardships of war. I had to read about what happened first before I could continue, though, because I couldn't handle the suspense. Worse than a horror film for me in that regard (if I know what's going to happen, I can handle it better since I can prepare and steel myself for the upcoming violence). The last half hour or so when it's more drama than war film, it got easier. Also, I lucked out and stumbled upon a copy of the dvd in my local library, so I was able to watch that copy as it had closed captions, which made it much easier to understand some of the accents and the British/military slang. In summaries of the incident it talks about 3 soldiers dying that day, and the minefield incident being just the first of three incidents taking place, but I can't find any information about what happened after. I'd like to know.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 30th, 2019, 7:59 am

2 hours left. 35 votes now.

I will use the position of #1 and #2 for the pots in round 2, so being first or second makes a difference. It's getting close, but the gap seems to big to change with just a few votes (if there are any votes left...).
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 30th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Deadline over. No new votes after that final graph.

Final score:
Image Risttuules: 2 (70-35)
Image Bashu, gharibeye koochak: 2.2 (63-42)
Image Kajaki: 2.6 (49-56)
Image Why Shoot the Teacher?: 3.2 (28-77)

6 out of 35 voters voted the same way as the final result.
14 out of 35 voters had Estonia and Iran in the top 2 of their vote.

Estonia and Iran proceed to round 2. Congratulations to jvv and Nathan Treadway. Also thanks to filmbantha and sol for participating and to the 35 voters for playing.

Number of #1-votes:
Image Risttuules: 15
Image Bashu, gharibeye koochak: 11
Image Kajaki: 9
Image Why Shoot the Teacher?: 0

Number of #4-votes:
Image Risttuules: 4
Image Bashu, gharibeye koochak: 5
Image Kajaki: 10
Image Why Shoot the Teacher?: 16

Head-to-head for the top 2:
Image Risttuules - Image Bashu, gharibeye koochak: 17 - 18
ICM-profile

beavis

Post by beavis » December 30th, 2019, 12:32 pm

I like the addition of the graphs joachim!
excellent start of the season

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » December 30th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Bit of a nailbiter in the end, but only in regards to the 1st place. Looks like the late voters enjoyed it the least of all 3, but that's probably just an effect.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » December 30th, 2019, 6:02 pm

beavis wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 12:32 pm
I like the addition of the graphs joachim!
Nice! I'll keep doing this. The formulas for this are done in the tabs for all matches already, so from now on it's easy to keep posting this.
ICM-profile

kingink

Post by kingink » December 31st, 2019, 9:32 am

Great work guys! The challenge now is to find many more Estonian films to compete and win it! :thumbsup: :whistling: