Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

2016 Shortlist [deadline Sep 3rd]

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes

Please vote for max 1 in each category [11 votes]

Poll ended at September 4th, 2019, 8:00 pm

BEST FILM: Ah-ga-ssi / The Handmaiden
2%
BEST FILM: Arrival
No votes
BEST FILM: I, Daniel Blake
1%
BEST FILM: La La Land
1%
BEST FILM: Manchester by the Sea
1%
BEST FILM: Moonlight
2%
BEST FILM: The Neon Demon
1%
BEST FILM: Nocturnal Animals
0%
BEST FILM: Paterson
1%
BEST FILM: Silence
0%
BEST DIRECTOR: Barry Jenkins (Moonlight)
2%
BEST DIRECTOR: Jim Jarmusch (Paterson)
1%
BEST DIRECTOR: Kelly Reichardt (Certain Women)
0%
BEST DIRECTOR: Nicolas Winding Refn (The Neon Demon)
2%
BEST DIRECTOR: Park Chan-wook (Ah-ga-ssi / The Handmaiden)
3%
BEST ACTOR: Adam Driver (Paterson)
1%
BEST ACTOR: Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea)
2%
BEST ACTOR: Dave Johns (I, Daniel Blake)
1%
BEST ACTOR: Peter Simonischek (Toni Erdmann)
4%
BEST ACTOR: Shahab Hosseini (Forushande / The Salesman)
1%
BEST ACTRESS: Amy Adams (Arrival)
1%
BEST ACTRESS: Kim Tae-ri (Ah-ga-ssi / The Handmaiden)
3%
BEST ACTRESS: Kristen Stewart (Personal Shopper)
1%
BEST ACTRESS: Rebecca Hall (Christine)
1%
BEST ACTRESS: Sandra Hüller (Toni Erdmann)
3%
BEST SUPP. ACTOR: André Holland (Moonlight)
No votes
BEST SUPP. ACTOR: Jeff Bridges (Hell or High Water)
3%
BEST SUPP. ACTOR: Mahershala Ali (Moonlight)
4%
BEST SUPP. ACTOR: Michael Shannon (Nocturnal Animals)
3%
BEST SUPP. ACTOR: Trevante Rhodes (Moonlight)
0%
BEST SUPP. ACTRESS: Kim Min-hee (Ah-ga-ssi / The Handmaiden)
3%
BEST SUPP. ACTRESS: Lily Gladstone (Certain Women)
1%
BEST SUPP. ACTRESS: Marion Cotillard (Juste la fin du monde / It's Only the End of the World)
0%
BEST SUPP. ACTRESS: Michelle Williams (Manchester by the Sea) 
3%
BEST SUPP. ACTRESS: Octavia Spencer (Hidden Figures)
1%
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Ah-ga-ssi / The Handmaiden
3%
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Arrival
0%
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: La La Land
3%
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Moonlight
1%
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: The Neon Demon
3%
BEST WRITING: Manchester by the Sea
3%
BEST WRITING: Moonlight
1%
BEST WRITING: Nocturnal Animals 
1%
BEST WRITING: Paterson
1%
BEST WRITING: Toni Erdmann
3%
BEST MUSIC: Cliff Martinez (The Neon Demon)
3%
BEST MUSIC: Jóhann Jóhannsson (Arrival)
1%
BEST MUSIC: Justin Hurwitz (La La Land)
3%
BEST MUSIC: Nicholas Britell (Moonlight)
0%
BEST MUSIC: Mica Levi (Jackie)
1%
BEST SHORT FILM: Blind Vaysha (Theodore Ushev)
1%
BEST SHORT FILM: Pear Cider and Cigarettes (Robert Valley)
0%
BEST SHORT FILM: Pearl (Patrick Osborne)
0%
BEST SHORT FILM: Piper (Alan Barillaro)
1%
BEST SHORT FILM: Timecode (Juanjo Giménez)
0%
BEST DOCUMENTARY: 13th (Ava DuVernay)
No votes
BEST DOCUMENTARY: Cameraperson (Kirsten Johnson)
1%
BEST DOCUMENTARY: O.J.: Made in America (Ezra Edelman)
3%
BEST DOCUMENTARY: Strike a Pose (Ester Gould & Reijer Zwaan)
1%
BEST DOCUMENTARY: Tower (Keith Maitland)
0%

Total votes: 206

brokenface
Donator

2016 Shortlist [deadline Sep 3rd]

Post by brokenface » August 26th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Best Film
Ah-ga-ssi / The Handmaiden
Arrival
I, Daniel Blake
La La Land
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight
The Neon Demon
Nocturnal Animals
Paterson
Silence

Best Director
Barry Jenkins (Moonlight)
Jim Jarmusch (Paterson)
Kelly Reichardt (Certain Women)
Nicolas Winding Refn (The Neon Demon)
Park Chan-wook (Ah-ga-ssi / The Handmaiden)

Best Actor
Adam Driver (Paterson)
Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea)
Dave Johns (I, Daniel Blake)
Peter Simonischek (Toni Erdmann)
Shahab Hosseini (Forushande / The Salesman)

Best Actress
Amy Adams (Arrival)
Kim Tae-ri (Ah-ga-ssi / The Handmaiden)
Kristen Stewart (Personal Shopper)
Rebecca Hall (Christine)
Sandra Hüller (Toni Erdmann)

Best Supporting Actor
André Holland (Moonlight)
Jeff Bridges (Hell or High Water)
Mahershala Ali (Moonlight)
Michael Shannon (Nocturnal Animals)
Trevante Rhodes (Moonlight)

Best Supporting Actress
Kim Min-hee (Ah-ga-ssi / The Handmaiden)
Lily Gladstone (Certain Women)
Marion Cotillard (Juste la fin du monde / It's Only the End of the World)
Michelle Williams (Manchester by the Sea) 
Octavia Spencer (Hidden Figures)

Best Cinematography
Ah-ga-ssi / The Handmaiden
Arrival
La La Land
Moonlight
The Neon Demon

Best Writing
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight
Nocturnal Animals 
Paterson
Toni Erdmann

Best Music
Cliff Martinez (The Neon Demon)
Jóhann Jóhannsson (Arrival)
Justin Hurwitz (La La Land)
Nicholas Britell (Moonlight)
Mica Levi (Jackie)

Best Short Film
Blind Vaysha (Theodore Ushev)
Pear Cider and Cigarettes (Robert Valley)
Pearl (Patrick Osborne)
Piper (Alan Barillaro)
Timecode (Juanjo Giménez)

Best Documentary
13th (Ava DuVernay)
Cameraperson (Kirsten Johnson)
O.J.: Made in America (Ezra Edelman)
Strike a Pose (Ester Gould & Reijer Zwaan)
Tower (Keith Maitland)

Notes - just in case anyone paying v.close attention. There was a big inseparable tie for 5th in Best Actress. Went with Kristen Stewart based on the fact she was also just short of making the cut with Certain Women as well. There was a similar awkward tie for 5th in Best Supp Actor which went to Trevante Rhodes for slightly arbitrary reasons.
Last edited by brokenface on September 1st, 2019, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » August 27th, 2019, 9:29 am

All five shorts in the list were Oscar-nominated that year: Timecode for live action and the other four for animated. Don't think I remember us lining up with the Academy Awards in a category so well before (or at least not with the shorts).

Coryn

Post by Coryn » August 27th, 2019, 9:34 am

Tickled didn't make the documentary shortlist?

I only voted for it in the best film section.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

Caracortada

Post by Caracortada » September 5th, 2019, 1:40 pm

I've just discovered a great documentary: The Eagle Huntress. Of course no one has voted for it. :folded:

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » September 5th, 2019, 5:25 pm

Caracortada wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 1:40 pm
I've just discovered a great documentary: The Eagle Huntress. Of course no one has voted for it. :folded:
I had mixed feelings on it. I read around and there's some real questions about how much of that was really documentary and how much staged/restaged. Some great landscapes but it might be a bit like Nanook of the North

cinewest

Post by cinewest » September 7th, 2019, 6:30 am

Caracortada wrote:
I would have nominated no more than 10% of the stuff on the list, which means that 90% of what I mentioned on the nomination thread is pretty much in the dark, and I don't think that any of it is really obscure.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » September 7th, 2019, 9:41 am

cinewest wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 6:30 am
Caracortada wrote:
I would have nominated no more than 10% of the stuff on the list, which means that 90% of what I mentioned on the nomination thread is pretty much in the dark, and I don't think that any of it is really obscure.
I don't really follow your logic. Here's the IMDB list of everything nominated for best film: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls090622925/

there's 110 films, only 10 make the shortlist, so only <10% of everyone's nominees in total make the cut. That's what a shortlist is. It doesn't mean the other 100 are all 'pretty much in the dark'. There's a whole mix there which didn't make the list, ranging from extremely well known Oscar nominees & blockbusters to obscurities with less than 50 votes on IMDB.

In your suggestions, you mentioned these that all did make shortlist:

Casey Affleck (Manchester By The Sea), and Peter Simonischek (Toni Erdmann)
Sandra Huller (Toni Erdmann) Amy Adams (Arrival
Screenwriting: Maren Ade (Toni Erdmann), Kenneth Lonegran (Manchester By The Sea),
Cinematography: Chung-hoon Chung (Ah-ga-ssi - Handmaiden) James Laxton (Moonlight)

Indeed 3 of them won their category, So amongst your batch of suggestions you actually picked the eventual winner in 25% of the categories in the game.

And some of the others you mention would definitely have made the cut had you given them points, e.g. Sonia Braga and Isabelle Huppert were both just outside in best actress. I Am Not Your Negro would've made best doc shortlist with 5pts. There's probably others if you'd done a fuller list, e.g. Bertrand Bonello was 2 pts short of getting in best director shortlist.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » September 8th, 2019, 6:08 am

double post
Last edited by cinewest on September 8th, 2019, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

cinewest

Post by cinewest » September 8th, 2019, 10:40 am

cinewest wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 6:08 am
brokenface wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 9:41 am
cinewest wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 6:30 am

I don't really follow your logic. Here's the IMDB list of everything nominated for best film: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls090622925/

there's 110 films, only 10 make the shortlist, so only <10% of everyone's nominees in total make the cut. That's what a shortlist is. It doesn't mean the other 100 are all 'pretty much in the dark'. There's a whole mix there which didn't make the list, ranging from extremely well known Oscar nominees & blockbusters to obscurities with less than 50 votes on IMDB.

Screenwriting: Maren Ade (Toni Erdmann), Kenneth Lonegran (Manchester By The Sea),
Cinematography: Chung-hoon Chung (Ah-ga-ssi - Handmaiden) James Laxton (Moonlight)

Indeed 3 of them won their category, So amongst your batch of suggestions you actually picked the eventual winner in 25% of the categories in the game.

And some of the others you mention would definitely have made the cut had you given them points, e.g. Sonia Braga and Isabelle Huppert were both just outside in best actress. I Am Not Your Negro would've made best doc shortlist with 5pts. There's probably others if you'd done a fuller list, e.g. Bertrand Bonello was 2 pts short of getting in best director shortlist.
Sorry, but your reply misses my point and doesn't appease in the least.

I declined to participate in this poll after seeing the lists most of the others put up, and realizing that most of what interested me in the various categories was not on anyone's radar, furthermore that what was on everyone's radar mostly struck me as pretty typical, and not really outstanding.
What are the % of non-English language films on the shortlist? Apart from Handmaiden and Toni Erdmann, there is almost no other FL film under consideration in any category.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » September 10th, 2019, 9:39 pm

cinewest wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 6:08 am
brokenface wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 9:41 am

Sorry, but your reply misses my point and doesn't appease in the least.

I declined to participate in this poll after seeing the lists most of the others put up, and realizing that most of what interested me in the various categories was not on anyone's radar, furthermore that what was on everyone's radar mostly struck me as pretty typical, and not really outstanding.
What are the % of non-English language films on the shortlist? Apart from Handmaiden and Toni Erdmann, there is almost no other FL film under consideration in any category.
People not voting for the things you like does not necessarily equal people not knowing about them. A couple of things you mentioned were fairly obscure, but most of them were Palme d'Or nominees or similar. Speaking for myself, I saw most of them - some were on my ballot, others weren't. One person's typical is another's outstanding and vice versa.

It's not a huge pool of people playing this game and I gave you a few factual examples where you actually would have made a difference to the shortlist. You're perfectly welcome to participate or not, but if you see nothing of interest in it, please feel free to stay away rather than sniping from the sidelines.