Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 1968 awards (Jan 21st), Documentaries (Jan 26th), 2018 (Feb 17th)
Challenges: Russia, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Rosenbaum
World Cup: Quarter Finals schedule, QF-A (Jan 16th), QF-B (Jan 27th)
Film of the Week: Pisma myortvogo cheloveka

Setting up the 2019 poll schedule

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes

Should the On 0 Official Lists be made annual?

Yes
44%
No
47%
Don't care/No opinion
8%

Total votes: 36

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Setting up the 2019 poll schedule

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 5th, 2018, 9:26 pm

This thread is to decide together which monthly polls will be held in 2019 and to set up the schedule for that. This will be done in three phases.

1) In the first phase, this phase, there are some preliminary polls and discussion about which kind of polls I want to be have decided first, because they have an impact on how many slots there will be. Also everyone can write in ideas for polls they want to see held during this phase.
2) In the second phase, we will through a poll decide which poll will be held in 2019.
3) In the third phase, we will set up the schedule for the 2019 polls. Since we have some annual polls I already filled those in the draft schedule below.

Firstly there is the question if the Films on 0 Official Lists (aka the unofficial films) poll should be made an annual event also. This seems to be a popular poll. Downside is that I will take up another slot annually. We can also do it again every X years and/or vote for it again when setting up the 2020 schedule. I added a poll for this above.

Secondly we should also decide if we want to the decade polls again next year, later or never again. And how many a year (excluding the current decade one). If we should start with the 1920s or 1930s. Or that we should a 1910s or even older decades first for the first time. (If we do that we don’t have to repeat the silent one I think. The 1920s polls was last held in 2017, the 1930s in 2014. For now I'm for repeating the 1930s and 1940s in 2019

It's also time to collect ideas for polls. I have gathered ideas already mentioned in the future polls thread. I also picked the leftovers with more than 10 votes from last year thread to set up the 2018 poll schedule. When this write-in phases will close, depends on how busy this topic is. But I will leave it open for at least a week.

Ideas for new polls:
  • Erotic
  • Music
  • Dance
  • Joyous/happy
  • Disturbing
  • Fantasy
  • Romcom
  • Coming-of-age
  • Biopics
  • Gangster
  • Prison
  • Romance
  • Spy
  • History/period
  • Mini-series
  • Directed by Women
  • African American Cinema
  • Pre-Code films
  • Underrated movies (for example movies rated less than 7.0 on IMDb, exact criteria we fine tune later)
  • Benelux
  • Central-Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan)
  • South-Asia (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka)
  • Eastern Europe & Caucasus (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Moldova and Ukraine & Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia)
  • Film scores
  • Screenwriters
From the List index I picked the polls most likely to considered to be held again in 2019, cause they were held in 2015 or earlier for the last time. If people really want to see other options be done again in 2019 I will add those if there's enough support.

Ideas for repeating polls;
  • Horror
  • Noirs
  • Depressing
  • Shorts (was held last in 2016, but there was demand to repeat this again)
  • Animation
  • Silent
  • Documentaries
  • TV Series
  • Italian
  • Actors and actrices
  • Christmas

Here is the draft schedule:
Concept schedule
JanuaryTBD
FebruaryTBD
MarchiCM Forum's 1001 Favourite Films (annual)
AprilTBD (Decade poll 1)
MayTBD
JuneiCM Forum's Favourite Movies of the 2010s (annual)
Yet to decided non-movies poll
JulyTBD
AugustTBD
SeptemberiCM Forum's 500<400 (annual)
OctoberTBD (Decade poll 2)
November(iCM Forum's Favourite Horror Films)
TBD
DecemberDirectors
TBD
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on November 11th, 2018, 11:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 5th, 2018, 9:32 pm

Off topic question; is it possible to add multiple polls to a thread?

flaiky

Post by flaiky » November 5th, 2018, 9:48 pm

I'd also like to add Directed by Women and African American Cinema to the long list.

I'm in favour of Unofficial Films becoming annual, but if it gets support perhaps it could be done alongside a different topic (2 polls that month) so that it doesn't take up a space? Although I appreciate that it probably means finding more hosts.

Personally I don't understand the logic behind horror being an annual poll, and decided not to contribute this year as a silent protest, heh. It might be that everyone's happy for it to continue but it'd be good to have a vote on the issue?

Yeah I think I support having two decade polls (definitely starting with the 30s though, as you said). Not strong support, because there are loads of interesting polls that have never been done before, but it makes sense to update those lists.
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 9:32 pm
No, I'd recommend making a series of polls on a Google Form and sharing the link.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

flaiky

Post by flaiky » November 5th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Oh and can I nominate TV Series as a potential repeat poll (last done 2015). And I'm not sure Silents should be eligible as a repeat since the 1920s was done in 2017 and, let's face it, there will be a huge amount of duplication.
Let the ashes fly

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar » November 5th, 2018, 9:58 pm

What i would propose:
  • 1930's and 1940's seems best for decade polls.
  • I'm in favour of making Unofficial movies annual, but done alongside a different topic
  • I'm in favour of holding an annual horror poll, but i would also favour to have a (slightly) stricter definition for genre polls, as they might be interpreted too broad.
  • I support a Benelux poll because we haven't held this before, and because there is a coinciding first-time challenge what's likely to be held in july next year.
  • There is a romance and Eastern Europe challenge this year too. And for repeating polls, there are challenges for noir, silent and Italian next year. I just wanted to mention that.

Chilton

Post by Chilton » November 5th, 2018, 10:15 pm

My 2 cents:
Lonewolf2003 wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 9:26 pm
Firstly there is the question if the Films on 0 Official Lists (aka the unofficial films) poll should be made an annual event also. This seems to be a popular poll. Downside is that I will take up another slot annually. We can also do it again every X years and/or vote for it again when setting up the 2020 schedule. I added a poll for this above.
Not in favour of making this annual, maybe we can make it a "special" poll held every time some new batch of lists get adopted, say three-four months after (which would probably mean we'd have in 2019 if we'll get that batch of lists we were promised, but not always in the following years).

Secondly we should also decide if we want to the decade polls again next year, later or never again. And how many a year (excluding the current decade one). If we should start with the 1920s or 1930s. Or that we should a 1910s or even older decades first for the first time. (If we do that we don’t have to repeat the silent one I think. The 1920s polls was last held in 2017, the 1930s in 2014. For now I'm for repeating the 1930s and 1940s in 2019
In favour of having the 1930s and 1940s next year. Three decades every year (two + current decade one) should do just fine. I would prefer the silent poll instead of a "1910s and earlier" one, and preferably also next year.

It's also time to collect ideas for polls. I have gathered ideas already mentioned in the future polls thread. I also picked the leftovers with more than 10 votes from last year thread to set up the 2018 poll schedule. When this write-in phases will close, depends on how busy this topic is. But I will leave it open for at least a week.
Besides the Silent one, I'd vote for Benelux, Eastern Europe and Directed by Women, and Shorts and Animation returning. Docs would also be nice. I don't feel so strongly about genre polls honestly.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 5th, 2018, 10:28 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
No. Sadly, this isn't possible (hence the multiple posts to do the polls for challenge scheduling).

flaiky

Post by flaiky » November 5th, 2018, 10:36 pm

About a possible "Eastern Europe" poll: you already had polls for Russia, Central Europe ("Poland, Hungary, Czechia, and Slovakia") and the Balkans (Ex-Yugoslavia, Albania, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Cyrpus, Moldova) in 2016. Would this therefore be focussed on the remaining countries - ie, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine?

I think it would be good to be clear so we know what we're voting on.
Let the ashes fly

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » November 5th, 2018, 10:43 pm

There's a few of the new genre poll suggestions where one is a subgenre of another. Something to consider with polls of options as you might get a split vote that counts against both

e.g. Gangster is a subgenre of Crime [also, Prison has a degree of overlap]
Romcom is a subgenre of Romance
Biopics is a subgenre of History/Period

--

What would 'Central Asia' cover? by wikipedia, it'd be Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan + maybe Afghanistan. I think we'd be pushing it to make a worthwhile poll out of those countries, and all but Afghanistan would've been eligible in the Russia/ex-Soviet poll we did before.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » November 5th, 2018, 10:56 pm

Real controversial suggestion - how about if we are going to re-run the decades, this time start it from 1915 and do the 'off' decades: 1915-24, 1925-34, 1935-44 etc. (not necessarily in order)

Might get a different perspective on trends in cinema history. e.g. 1925-34 captures transition from silent-sound; 1945-54 would capture post-war period

flaiky

Post by flaiky » November 5th, 2018, 10:57 pm

Ah the Russian poll included ex-Soviet states did it? Sorry I didn't look at the link. In that case, to be honest I think we should stick with those three divisions (Central, Balkans, Russia + ex-Soviet, which do make sense) and just wait to poll them again.
Last edited by flaiky on November 5th, 2018, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the ashes fly

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » November 5th, 2018, 10:57 pm

If you make a Central Asia poll, just don't include Iran as the said country was so many times included in the polls that I feel like puking. It had its polls, challenges and whatnot already.

Those six Central Asian cinematographies are small but quality (from what I've seen so far). The trouble is subtitles which aren't plenty.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » November 5th, 2018, 11:13 pm

Yes, prison movie poll.

No depressing movies poll. So subjective as to be meaningless.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 5th, 2018, 11:28 pm

Just to be clear: voting will be done late. So you don't have to tell now which option you are supporting.
For now I'm collecting ideas and we can fine tune them.
(this is a very short reply before going to bed. I will look more deeply in some comments another time)

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » November 6th, 2018, 2:25 am

How about seasonal polls. Movies that evoke spring, summer, autumn and winter. Forming the ICM forum's The Four Seasons at the end of the year.
Pre-Code films
Italy again
Documentaries again
Animation again

gromit82
Donator

Post by gromit82 » November 6th, 2018, 3:20 am

I personally would like to at least consider reducing the frequency of the Horror poll to less than annually, and I think we should have a poll to decide whether or not to run it in 2019.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » November 6th, 2018, 3:46 am

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
No :(
I'll be looking into possible work arounds, beyond making multiple threads, next week but there wasn't much available last I checked.

Re the poll: 0 Official Lists I don't think it makes sense as annual. But doing it every two years seems reasonable.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » November 6th, 2018, 5:47 am

gromit82 wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 3:20 am
I personally would like to at least consider reducing the frequency of the Horror poll to less than annually, and I think we should have a poll to decide whether or not to run it in 2019.
+1
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

beavis

Post by beavis » November 6th, 2018, 6:05 am

Directed by women, south asia (India) and fantasy would be the most interesting to me... Even though i don't expect there to be much people that are into Indian cinema here, a top ten with only Ray movies would be kinda boring... And with fantasy being a really stretchable concept it might give even more "controversial" results than the horror poll :)

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » November 6th, 2018, 9:35 am

joachimt wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 5:47 am
gromit82 wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 3:20 am
+1
+2

A horror challenge every year; totally fine. A horror poll every year; rather superfluous.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 6th, 2018, 12:55 pm

I added all suggestions to the OP.

I added horror also as an option to vote for again next year instead of automatically scheduling it in. If it's chosen again, we can do two slots again in November. It's been annual so far, cause most wanted it to be and mighty started as one of the first polls and wanted to do it every year. But interest seem to waning (isn't it Joachim from the ammount of participants?) and the scale tipping the otherside now.

If Unofficial Films becomes annual or bi-annual, we could indeed do two slots that month as well.

The Russian/Sovjet poll didn't include the ex-Sovjet States (except Russia herself of course). So Eastern-Europe would consist of Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Moldova and Ukraine. Central Asia would be Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. (If movies from those countries during the Sovjet-Union will be eligble we could discus if these poll are being held). South-Asia would be Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
Both Eastern-Europe and Central Asia aren't the most interesting regions to me personally. And especially Central-Asia seem to be pushing our regional cinema knowlegde indeed. I will leave them on the ballot for now. When voting for these options it will be good to keep in mind if you think you and your fellow iCM forum members can produce a decent list about a region.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on November 6th, 2018, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albajos

Post by albajos » November 6th, 2018, 12:58 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 12:55 pm
But interest seem to waning
There are very little movement up and down from year to year. So it's very predicatable right now.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » November 6th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
interest seem to waning (isn't it Joachim from the ammount of participants?)
Participants:
2018: 68
2017: 66
2016: 56
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 6th, 2018, 1:06 pm

brokenface wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 10:43 pm
There's a few of the new genre poll suggestions where one is a subgenre of another. Something to consider with polls of options as you might get a split vote that counts against both

e.g. Gangster is a subgenre of Crime [also, Prison has a degree of overlap]
Romcom is a subgenre of Romance
Biopics is a subgenre of History/Period

Yeah, we might better merge Romcom with Romance and Biopics with History. We could always do more specialized poll about Romcom or Biopics later.
On the other hand, Crime I feel is too broad a genre and we should ditch that and do subgenres like Prison and Gangster. Especially since we have done a Thriller and Noir polls already also, which have a lot of overlap with Crime. How does everybody else feel?

For History I think it would be interesting to limit that to pre-World War 2 (or maybe even earlier). So that polls isn't dominated by WW2 movies.

albajos

Post by albajos » November 6th, 2018, 1:08 pm

A biography film is almost always history.

But a history film is quite often not a biography.

For a challenge it would make sense to keep them together, but for a poll I would rather keep them apart.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 6th, 2018, 1:11 pm

albajos wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 1:08 pm

Yes, that's why one is biopic is a subgenre of history and not the other way around.

The question is if we do both, there will be so much overlap that a history poll isn't that interesting cause it's dominated by biopics. Or a biopics isn't interesting, cause they were already in the History poll.

gromit82
Donator

Post by gromit82 » November 6th, 2018, 2:03 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 1:11 pm
albajos wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 1:08 pm

Yes, that's why one is biopic is a subgenre of history and not the other way around.

The question is if we do both, there will be so much overlap that a history poll isn't that interesting cause it's dominated by biopics. Or a biopics isn't interesting, cause they were already in the History poll.
We shouldn't do both topics in the same year, but I think there is sufficient difference between them that we could do one of those topics in 2019 and the other one in 2020 or a later year. For example, I don't think most biographical films about musicians would necessarily place in a history poll (and generally they don't have the History genre at IMDb).

flaiky

Post by flaiky » November 6th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
The Russian/Sovjet poll didn't include the ex-Sovjet States (except Russia herself of course). So Eastern-Europe would consist of Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Moldova and Ukraine. Central Asia would be Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. (If movies from those countries during the Sovjet-Union will be eligble we could discus if these poll are being held). South-Asia would be Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
Both Eastern-Europe and Central Asia aren't the most interesting regions to me personally. And especially Central-Asia seem to be pushing our regional cinema knowlegde indeed. I will leave them on the ballot for now. When voting for these options it will be good to keep in mind if you think you and your fellow iCM forum members can produce a decent list about a region.
Right. I think it makes sense to do a joint Russia and ex-Soviet poll in a year or two as the regions described will indeed be weak on their own. We did the whole continent of Africa and region of Latin America as single polls, so, you know. Would be a bit nuts to dedicate polls to these sub-regions while there's nothing wrong with merging them.

With genre polls, however, I think narrowing the scope is usually a good idea. Gangster films and prison films could make interesting polls on their own, and would probably be more satisfying than the very broad "crime". The "Road Trips" poll turned out surprisingly well, for example. So I'd probably support keeping history and biopics separate too. The former suggests anything set, say, at least 50-100 years before it was made while the latter doesn't and needs to have one clear protagonist. I'd want to exclude war films from history, since it's a whole genre on its own. And now I'm contradicting myself but I'd kind of prefer the broader "period films" to "history films" (ie, doesn't need to be based in factual history). :think:
Let the ashes fly

jeff_v

Post by jeff_v » November 6th, 2018, 5:13 pm

My poll suggestion: An underrated movies poll. Submit a list of your favorite movies rated less than 7.0 on IMDb.

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » November 6th, 2018, 5:17 pm

Don't agree with a joint Russia+ex-Soviet state poll, "Eastern European" cinema is interesting/different enough to warrant their own, and I think there are enough people on here with enough exposure to these films to make the list interesting. It might have a low turnout(can't imagine it being worse than Southeast Asia though), but personally I would be much more interested in seeing a top Eastern Europe list than a Russian one, and much less so a "joint" one where 90% of it will be well-known Russian films anyway.

I'm no geography expert, but I don't think it's too unreasonable to count the Caucasus countries as Eastern Europe.

Opio

Post by Opio » November 6th, 2018, 5:43 pm

jeff_v wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 5:13 pm
My poll suggestion: An underrated movies poll. Submit a list of your favorite movies rated less than 7.0 on IMDb.
+1 Sounds like a good idea

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 6th, 2018, 7:18 pm

Ivan0716 wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 5:17 pm
Don't agree with a joint Russia+ex-Soviet state poll, "Eastern European" cinema is interesting/different enough to warrant their own, and I think there are enough people on here with enough exposure to these films to make the list interesting. It might have a low turnout(can't imagine it being worse than Southeast Asia though), but personally I would be much more interested in seeing a top Eastern Europe list than a Russian one, and much less so a "joint" one where 90% of it will be well-known Russian films anyway.

I'm no geography expert, but I don't think it's too unreasonable to count the Caucasus countries as Eastern Europe.
To be clear, with Eastern Europe you also mean Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Moldova and Ukraine or other countries also? Some definition do indeed count the Caucasus as part of Eastern Europe. We could include that as well in an Eastern Europe poll.

beavis

Post by beavis » November 6th, 2018, 8:14 pm

Opio wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 5:43 pm
jeff_v wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 5:13 pm
+1 Sounds like a good idea
Maybe, but only for people who use imdb.... And what does a 7 on imdb mean? It seems like a high mark to me, i bet most of my favorites will rank below that

jeff_v

Post by jeff_v » November 6th, 2018, 9:34 pm

You would be an anomaly in the community then. Here's the IMDb list of ICM Forum's 1001 favorite movies, sorted by IMDb rank, lowest to highest. Only 22 movies rated lower than 7.0 on IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls064916339/? ... ail&page=1

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » November 6th, 2018, 10:11 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 7:18 pm
Ivan0716 wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 5:17 pm

To be clear, with Eastern Europe you also mean Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Moldova and Ukraine or other countries also? Some definition do indeed count the Caucasus as part of Eastern Europe. We could include that as well in an Eastern Europe poll.
Those were the ones I had in mind yeah, everything else on that side of Europe should be covered by Central Europe and Balkans I think.

Nopros
Donator

Post by Nopros » November 6th, 2018, 10:22 pm

Not that I'm any good at participating in the polls on this forum other than the <400 one, but I would love a prison poll.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 7th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Updated the OP

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 7th, 2018, 12:37 pm

jeff_v wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 9:34 pm
You would be an anomaly in the community then. Here's the IMDb list of ICM Forum's 1001 favorite movies, sorted by IMDb rank, lowest to highest. Only 22 movies rated lower than 7.0 on IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls064916339/? ... ail&page=1
I like the idea. But we could fine tune the criteria a bit.
Biggest problem I see with this criteria and looking at those movies, is that it consist plenty of modern critically acclaimed movies, that don't resonate with the general audience (like Tree of Life), which I wouldn't call underrated. I also contains some controversial and love-or-hate movies, which I also wouldn't classify as underrated.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » November 7th, 2018, 12:59 pm

I'd like to have an LGBTQ+ poll in 2019. We had a hamfisted unofficial one in 2017, but 2019 is the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, and we've never had an official poll on the forum. Given how successful last months Queer challenge was (despite going up against horror), I think there's enough interest and enough scope to put together a good list.

For Central Asia & Eastern Europe, I prefer to keep them separate from a Russian/Soviet list. When I lived in Kazakhstan, the organization I worked for also grouped countries, and were were in CAC: Central Asia (including Mongolia) & the Caucasus. I think there's more commonality between those two regions than between Eastern Europe and the Caucasus, and it would help flesh out a list. If we could come up with a Top 50 for those 9 countries, I'd consider that a success.

My own opinion for regions for Eastern Europe/former Soviet countries would be as follows:
1. Central Europe (Poland, Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary)
2. Balkans (Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia & Herz., Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia, Albania, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, & likely Moldova, Cyprus, and European Turkey)
3. Nordic + Baltic (Iceland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania)
4. East Slavic (Russia, Ukraine, Belarus)
5. Central Asia & Caucasus (Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Mongolia & maybe Afghanistan if it's not included in the South Asia/India poll)

My reasoning for 3 & 4 (where I'm anticipating the most confusion/resistance): Baltic countries are not Slavic nations (Estonia is Finno-Ugric like Finland, Latvia and Lithuania are Baltic), and prior to being in the Russian Empire/Soviet Union, they were controlled by the Germans and Swedes for centuries. A poll just for those 3 would be interesting, but I suspect there would be little support since it's not a widely seen film region and we would struggle to come up with a strong Top 25. Ukrainian and Belarusian history is closely tied with Russian, the languages are similar, and often they cross-collaborated on films (especially during the Soviet era), and a lot of viewers wouldn't necessarily be able to distinguish between the three countries/languages without being told which is which.

Alternatively, we expand Central Europe to be Eastern Europe, and that encompasses everything between Germany, Austria, the Balkans, Russia, and the Nordics (i.e. Poland, Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary, Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia).

Additional polls I'd like to see this year:
Christmas (or "Winter Holiday") films (done once - 2012)
Animated films (done twice - 2012, 2014)
Shorts (done thrice - 2013, 2014, 2015)
comedies (done once - 2012)
documentaries (done once - 2015)
music films (music as the subject/theme, plus perhaps concert documentaries?) - never done
dance films - never done
Nordic films - I thought we'd done this, but apparently it's never been done

Agreed with Unofficial checks happening every two years, not every year.
Agreed with running 1930s and 1940s again next year.
Also supporting the coming of age, Benelux, fantasy, and directed by women proposals.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » November 7th, 2018, 1:26 pm

We did do a Nordic one: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2562
I remembered there being discussion then also about including the Baltic States, but decided against that.

Grouping the Caucasus with Central-Asia instead of Eastern Europe might be better indeed, for the reasons you mentioned.