Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 1968 awards (Jan 21st), Documentaries (Jan 26th), 2018 (Feb 17th)
Challenges: Russia, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Rosenbaum
World Cup: Quarter Finals schedule, QF-B (Jan 27th)
Film of the Week: Pisma myortvogo cheloveka

Year by Year Spreadsheet Template

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
maxwelldeux
Donator

Year by Year Spreadsheet Template

Post by maxwelldeux » October 28th, 2018, 5:40 am

I think I have a viable basic template for the Year by Year polls. See the attached file.

The host would be responsible for four inputs: username, film, IMDB URL, and rank. Everything else is calculated automatically.

The first tab is for the inputs. The second tab calculates the primary results and provides a list of IMDB urls for list-making purposes (and formats a table to post on the forum here). The third tab is for Misc stats.

NOT YET COMPLETED: accounting for unranked lists. It's on the list, but I wanted to start getting feedback on what else you want in this spreadsheet.

I'm happy to add more stats, change presentation, pretty much anything. If you want to see it, and I can calculate it from the inputs, I'll add it.

So... thoughts/feedback?

Google Sheets Version (updated 2018.12.23):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

FILE UPDATED 2018.10.29 05:00 UTC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by maxwelldeux on December 23rd, 2018, 10:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » October 28th, 2018, 11:39 am

Oh thanks Max. Bless you.

I'm taking a look. Perhaps I'm still confused, but if I have to manually enter the user, rank, title and url for every vote, isn't that almost as time consuming? The annoying thing with my current method is having to allocate the points for each vote and that isn't very different from allocating the rank. Although this approach will save me having to scroll up and down finding the film each time, so I'm sure it will still be quicker.

If the results are generated by searching the the tt code, couldn't we skip entering the title? That also means I don't need to worry about checking for different names for the same film. Then someone said I could make an ICM list and extract that into a spreadsheet to get all the titles (would that ruin your nice results table?)
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 28th, 2018, 11:41 am

I have all my yearly lists on Letterboxed, would that work?

flaiky

Post by flaiky » October 28th, 2018, 11:48 am

St. Gloede wrote:
October 28th, 2018, 11:41 am
I have all my yearly lists on Letterboxed, would that work?
This relies on IMDB urls, so no. Also the idea for this isn't that people submit an external list, but that they include all the IMDB urls with their ballot.
Let the ashes fly

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 28th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Ah, hope there is a way to get around that.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 28th, 2018, 12:45 pm

flaiky wrote:
October 28th, 2018, 11:39 am
Perhaps I'm still confused, but if I have to manually enter the user, rank, title and url for every vote, isn't that almost as time consuming? The annoying thing with my current method is having to allocate the points for each vote and that isn't very different from allocating the rank. Although this approach will save me having to scroll up and down finding the film each time, so I'm sure it will still be quicker.
(without opening the last version of the spreadsheet, because I don't have time to look right now)
You won't have to enter each url manually. If people include the IMDb-urls in their vote, then you can simply copy them (using Linkchump is the easiest) and paste them into the spreadsheet. The rank is just a matter of putting 1 and 2 at the first two and then drag it down, so it autofills automatically.

I agree with you, that the title shouldn't be included. Too much work.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

flaiky

Post by flaiky » October 28th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Oh yeah I know I can paste the links, but I'm the one doing it, not a script, heh, so that's what I meant by manually. At the moment I paste the film titles (only once per film mention) so it's the same kind of deal (but yeah, I do like the idea of not scrolling back and forth all the time).

I didn't know about the dragging to generate ranks - that's nice, yes, thanks!
Let the ashes fly

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 28th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Max, I figured out a way to make it work for unranked lists. I added a column B named "ranked?". You have to put "yes" in every row behind the username if it is ranked and "no" (or something else) if not. Then the formula in the score-column (which has become column F) should be:
=IF(B2="yes",(VLOOKUP(A2,I:J,2)+1)-C2,(VLOOKUP(A2,I:J,2)*(VLOOKUP(A2,I:J,2)+1)/2)/VLOOKUP(A2,I:J,2))

IF yes then it has the formula you already had. If not yes, then the formula (VLOOKUP(A2,I:J,2)*(VLOOKUP(A2,I:J,2)+1)/2)/VLOOKUP(A2,I:J,2) calculates the average using the formula n(n+1)/2 which is the sum of 1+2+3+4...n in which n is the number of movies on a ballot dividing by the number of movies to get the average score.

I sometimes see people submitting partially ranked lists, although the OP normally doesn't say anything about it. Are partially ranked lists allowed? If so, the formula will be a lot harder, I think.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 28th, 2018, 5:42 pm

Just thinking about it, that formula is too complicated. I calculated the average of 1, 2, 3, ... n by dividing the sum of that (which is n(n+1)/2) by n. But the average of the row 1, 2, 3... n is always (n+1)/2. That way the formula is this:

=IF(B2="yes",(VLOOKUP(A2,I:J,2)+1)-C2,(VLOOKUP(A2,I:J,2)+1)/2)
ICM-profile

flaiky

Post by flaiky » October 28th, 2018, 8:33 pm

I just trialed adding more votes for a couple of films, and dragged down the "score" code (column E), but it gave me #N/A....The tt code (row F) worked, but then when I went to the results tab and tried updating, it didn't seem to fix to the correct ballot count. :wacko: I'm a bit worried this is going to be tough, only being able to communicate via messages!

Anyway, if you're confident, then I've played around with the data that becomes available when you export IMDB/ICM lists, thinking about what could be put into a nice results table.

This would be ideal (for me):

RankTitleAKADirector# Points# Ballots#IMDb votes

You've already arranged it so that a list of ordered tt-codes is generated, and that the points and ballot count appear in the table - I think that's all I need (plus the new heading arrangement). Then I can quickly create IMDB/ICM lists from the tt-codes, export those, and paste in the remaining info. T'wud be cool.
Let the ashes fly

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 28th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Did you refresh the table on the right? Rightclick on it.
ICM-profile

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 28th, 2018, 9:18 pm

joachimt wrote:
October 28th, 2018, 5:42 pm
Just thinking about it, that formula is too complicated. I calculated the average of 1, 2, 3, ... n by dividing the sum of that (which is n(n+1)/2) by n. But the average of the row 1, 2, 3... n is always (n+1)/2. That way the formula is this:

=IF(B2="yes",(VLOOKUP(A2,I:J,2)+1)-C2,(VLOOKUP(A2,I:J,2)+1)/2)
That's pretty much the exact formula I was going to use - I just hadn't gotten there yet. :thumbsup:

flaiky

Post by flaiky » October 28th, 2018, 9:29 pm

Ah I fixed it, it's because I hadn't entered a username. I didn't realise that would be important.

Sweet, yeah it's very clever! Thanks again Max. I think removing the titles and rearranging the table a bit is all I need.
Let the ashes fly

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 28th, 2018, 9:41 pm

St. Gloede wrote:
October 28th, 2018, 12:18 pm
Ah, hope there is a way to get around that.
I don't play on Letterboxd, but are you able to export your Letterboxd lists? I use trakt.tv, and when I export lists, I have a column with the iMDB tt-code, which I could then turn into an IMDB url. Would that work?

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 28th, 2018, 9:53 pm

flaiky wrote:
October 28th, 2018, 8:33 pm
You've already arranged it so that a list of ordered tt-codes is generated, and that the points and ballot count appear in the table - I think that's all I need (plus the new heading arrangement). Then I can quickly create IMDB/ICM lists from the tt-codes, export those, and paste in the remaining info. T'wud be cool.
Can you take the tt-codes, quickly generate an IMDB list, then export that list? I know you can with ICM (i.e., paid account or ICM enhanced script), but I don't see an obvious way to do it with IMDB (but I'm not a heavy IMDB user, hence the question).

What I can do is add a tab (or two) where you can copy/paste the IMDB and/or ICM exports, and pull all the relevant information in so that you don't have to do the work manually. This approach would solve the title thing, too.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » October 28th, 2018, 10:03 pm

Yep, someone here made a script that lets you make an IMDB list with tt-codes (or urls). The annoying thing is that you can only get directors with the IMDB export and you can only get AKAs with the ICM export (unless there's another script to fix this?!) so I'd have to do both. But that's okay.

Are you sure about that suggestion?! I don't want you to do anymore, you've done enough..!
Let the ashes fly

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 29th, 2018, 5:34 am

OK. Significant reconfigurations on the template file (updated in the OP):

- Killed the "title" column in the Data Entry tab
- Added a column to the Data Entry tab to note how the tab is ranked (ranked is default, which is left blank - only need to fill this in if it's not fully ranked)
- Scoring (column E on the Data Entry tab) now accounts for ranked, unranked, and partially ranked lists. For partially ranked lists, you note the number of ranked films and copy that wherever you see that username.
- Results tab is updated to the flaiky format (post #10 in this thread), with the addition of a column for the iMDB link. This table if now fully automated.
- Added two new tabs: IMDB export, and ICM export
___ You will have to take the URLs on the Results tab and create a list on IMDB and ICM, then export those lists
___ If you do that, copy all the columns from those exported lists and paste them on the relevant tabs.
___ Once you do, the Results tab will be fully updated.

I think it's close - let me know what you think.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 29th, 2018, 5:42 am

flaiky wrote:
October 28th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Yep, someone here made a script that lets you make an IMDB list with tt-codes (or urls). The annoying thing is that you can only get directors with the IMDB export and you can only get AKAs with the ICM export (unless there's another script to fix this?!) so I'd have to do both. But that's okay.

Are you sure about that suggestion?! I don't want you to do anymore, you've done enough..!
I always do both an iCM- and IMDb-list when doing a poll here, indeed because of the director from the IMDb-export and the AKA from the iCM-export. To export an iCM-list you have to have a paid account though, but I'm always willing to help with that.

Done enough? Surely not! :P
Are partially ranked lists allowed, flaiky? If so, the formula needs to be changed so that n is the number of no's behind a certain username. Haven't tried this in Excel though.
More stats? Which stats do you want?
The results-tab should get more columns: AKA, director, #IMDb-votes (is this included in an IMDb-export?).
The tabs with IMDb- and iCM-exports make sense, so it automatically extracts that info.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 29th, 2018, 5:42 am

Didn't read max's last post. I'll take a look later.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 29th, 2018, 6:21 am

The score formula now contains "Help me, maxwelldeux, you're my only hope!"
Great solution. :lol:
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 29th, 2018, 6:26 am

Looks fine to me. Maybe some more stats, but that's up to flaiky.
ICM-profile

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 29th, 2018, 3:08 pm

joachimt wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 6:21 am
The score formula now contains "Help me, maxwelldeux, you're my only hope!"
Great solution. :lol:
Heh. That's my "else" scenario, in case any of my other conditions aren't met. Then people know there's something wrong.

And agreed on the more stats.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » October 29th, 2018, 6:20 pm

All great, although I am having two issues on my end.

- The IMDB urls in the results tab are not loading, I get #NAME? in every row. I've tried it in Excel, Calc, and Google Sheets and none of them render it properly. Does it work when you download it Joachim?
- OpenOffice Calc, which I need to use as I have an unlicensed, read-only version of Excel, doesn't seem to recognise the unranked or partially ranked calculations. They both generate 0 scores. Excel and Sheets are fine so it does seem to be an issue with Calc. I could edit with Sheets but I can't see a way of refreshing the tables, will that be a problem? Otherwise I need to find a torrent for Microsoft Office that includes a license key...(I'm not paying for Office, I don't need it at home)...Worst comes to worst I can enter the unranked points myself. I'd probably disallow partially ranked but that's never been an option before anyway.

Also I had a thought: I always keep the results to films with a minimum of 3 votes. Usually I sort by count, cut everything with 3+, then re-sort by score on a new tab. What would be the process here?

As for other stats, well I guess anyone reading this who enjoys the polls can make requests. I was thinking maybe 'number of non-English films', by recognising anything with an AKA, but it wouldn't quite work because not all non-English films have an AKA and some English films do have an AKA. Maybe 'number of short films', by finding anything with <40min runtime?
Let the ashes fly

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 29th, 2018, 7:30 pm

I just opened the latest version from the OP. I can see the urls fine. Which column are you talking about? In column V there is a list of urls. Those are generate from the tt-numbers in column A. In which column do you see #NAME?

I have no experience with OpenOffice or Calc. I do use Google-Sheets sometimes, but haven't tried this spreadsheet there. Maybe that's an option if OpenOffice and Calc are failing.

I see now you can't sort the results-tab at all, because you can't put filters on a pivot-table. Max, any idea on sorting and filtering?

Runtime would be easy to include, because it is in the IMDb-export. Non-English can't be done automatically.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 29th, 2018, 7:43 pm

joachimt wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 7:30 pm
I see now you can't sort the results-tab at all, because you can't put filters on a pivot-table. Max, any idea on sorting and filtering?
Here's what I would do, if I had made the spreadsheet. I would make a tab for calculating the results. That would only include the pivot-table. Another tab would be the presentation of the results. That would have columns for everything you want in the presentation. The first three columns I would manually copy the data from the pivot table. Then I can sort, filter and remove anything I want.
ICM-profile

flaiky

Post by flaiky » October 29th, 2018, 8:23 pm

Columns S and V both give #NAME? That's really weird and annoying that it works for you but not me. I'll try downloading it again tomorrow or something.
Let the ashes fly

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 29th, 2018, 10:04 pm

Sorting and filtering can be done within pivot table itself - on the Results tab, click on the little box in cell A1:
Which brings up this menu:

It's currently set to be sorted by Total Score (descending), but you can sort by anything in the pivot table (currently tt-code, Number of votes, and Total score). Click on "More Sort Options" and follow the prompt. If you want to sort by something NOT in the pivot table, we just have to add it to the pivot table.

For filtering, hover over Value Filters... and choose your option (e.g., greater than or equal to). It brings up this popup:

And you can enter the variable and value you want to filter on. In that image, you'd just enter "3" in that box and hit OK, and the table will only include films with at least 3 voters. Repeat this process for what ever you want to filter (e.g., films with only 1 voter, films with at least 5 voters, films with at least 20 points).

[Of course, another option is to copy the yellow columns, paste as values into a new tab, and sort/filter manually as your heart desires.]

For flaiky's #NAME? problem, are you using an older version of Excel when you've opened it? The formula uses the CONCAT function, which was introduced in 2016, which might be the problem. If you replace CONCAT with CONCATENATE, it might solve that issue.

The bigger problem, especially for flaiky, is that pivot tables aren't compatible with the open source options. Let me look into how hard it would be rebuild this in Google Sheets. EDIT: Not super easy, but not too hard. And Google Sheets is available to anyone with a Google account, so this is probably going to be a better option anyway. I'll start working on this.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 30th, 2018, 5:39 am

About sorting and filtering. If you do this in the pivot-table, then the ranks will be off, I think. When you filter out all movies with 1 or 2 votes, it won't update the rank-number of movies with 3 votes that have less points than some movies with 2 votes. Or does it? I haven't tried yet. Off to work in a minute......
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 30th, 2018, 5:44 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 10:04 pm
For flaiky's #NAME? problem, are you using an older version of Excel when you've opened it? The formula uses the CONCAT function, which was introduced in 2016, which might be the problem. If you replace CONCAT with CONCATENATE, it might solve that issue.
Or maybe you can change the formula using & instead of the CONCAT function?
ICM-profile

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 30th, 2018, 5:07 pm

joachimt wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 5:39 am
About sorting and filtering. If you do this in the pivot-table, then the ranks will be off, I think. When you filter out all movies with 1 or 2 votes, it won't update the rank-number of movies with 3 votes that have less points than some movies with 2 votes. Or does it? I haven't tried yet. Off to work in a minute......
It will - the ranks are calculated via formula based on what's displayed in the pivot table. Change the table, everything else updates. :thumbsup:

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 30th, 2018, 5:08 pm

joachimt wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 5:44 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 10:04 pm
Or maybe you can change the formula using & instead of the CONCAT function?
Good idea!

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 6th, 2018, 6:16 am

OK. I've rebuilt the spreadsheet in Google Sheets. Link is in the OP and allows editing.

A few notes:
- changed "concat" to "&" function, largely because it works better in Sheets.
- the "Person Count" tab is just a pivot table and is there because apparently new pivot tables appear on new tabs. Oh well.
- the "Annoying Hack Table" is there because apparently you can't run value filters in Google Sheets (at least, that I could find), so I have that summary table there, then the Results tab runs a pivot table on the first pivot table so I can actually do filters. TL;DR: ignore the "Annoying hack Table" sheet.

Otherwise, this is my first run in Sheets, so please try to break it and let me know what's broken so i can fix it.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » November 6th, 2018, 2:24 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 6:16 am
OK. I've rebuilt the spreadsheet in Google Sheets. Link is in the OP and allows editing.

A few notes:
- changed "concat" to "&" function, largely because it works better in Sheets.
- the "Person Count" tab is just a pivot table and is there because apparently new pivot tables appear on new tabs. Oh well.
- the "Annoying Hack Table" is there because apparently you can't run value filters in Google Sheets (at least, that I could find), so I have that summary table there, then the Results tab runs a pivot table on the first pivot table so I can actually do filters. TL;DR: ignore the "Annoying hack Table" sheet.

Otherwise, this is my first run in Sheets, so please try to break it and let me know what's broken so i can fix it.
Somehow I owe you a great big online favour. I can offer very little but, uh, let me know. :D

I will make a copy to my own account, so as to leave the draft in tact, and have a go playing around with it.
Let the ashes fly

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 6th, 2018, 4:01 pm

flaiky wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 2:24 pm
Somehow I owe you a great big online favour. I can offer very little but, uh, let me know. :D

I will make a copy to my own account, so as to leave the draft in tact, and have a go playing around with it.
Sweet! Let me know what's clunky or awkward or not explained well (or what doesn't work).