Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Musicals (Results), 1952 awards (Dec 21st), 2006 (Dec 23rd), Directors (Dec 31st)
Challenges: Forum Lists, Documentary, Canada
World Cup: Round 2 schedule, Match 2H (Dec 16th), R3 preparation (Dec 30th)
Film of the Week: Lebenszeichen

iCM Forum's Favourite German (language) Movies (2018 edition); Nominations topic

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 7042
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

iCM Forum's Favourite German (language) Movies (2018 edition); Nominations topic

#1

Post by Lonewolf2003 » October 1st, 2018, 6:55 pm

iCM Forum's Favourite German (language) Movies
Nominations topic
2018 Edition

Image

The last time we did this was in 2014. Since then a lot of new users came and some went, so let's see what our favorite German films are nowadays. I'm not going to set very strict rules to which movies are eligible. Just go with your gut feeling, if a movie is "German". But as general guidelines: German spoken movies from (West-/East-)Germany or Austria is the focus of this poll, German spoken movies from other countries (for example Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein or Belgium) or movies in other languages that are "German" productions are also eligible. If you're in doubt as to whether a film is eligible, just ask.

The deadline is 20 October 2018
  • Shorts, mini-series and TV-episodes from anthology series where the episodes are unrelated, are allowed. Tv-series aren't allowed.*
    *Imdb will be leading in this, but if you have good arguments exceptions to the rule can be made in consultation
  • Imdb-lists or iCM-lists are accepted. (If you can't make one of those, ask another user to help you out.)
  • Lists can be any length.
  • Each nominee can only be named once (of course)
  • Your list may be ranked, unranked, or partially-ranked. In a partially-ranked list, the top X films are ranked and everything after that point is unranked. When not specified I will consider a list as ranked.
  • In case of coproduction, if you're unsure if a movie is eligible, please post here.
List length and halflife will probably be the same as last time; 150 and 50, unless there are good reasons to change those.

Previous edition iCM list
Please check if your list is stated, ordered and linked correctly. And is set to public, for iCM lists you can also set it to "Friends" and befriend me.
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on October 22nd, 2018, 7:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
Carmel1379
Donator
Posts: 3968
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Location: ∅ ⋁ ⋀ ∞
Contact:

#2

Post by Carmel1379 » October 1st, 2018, 6:58 pm

IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr, blog
Image
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 26953
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#3

Post by joachimt » October 1st, 2018, 7:24 pm

When you do an advanced title search on IMDb, don't forget there are separate tags for West Germany and East Germany.

User avatar
jvv
Donator
Posts: 8106
Joined: May 28, 2011
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#4

Post by jvv » October 1st, 2018, 7:29 pm


User avatar
XxXApathy420XxX
Donator
Posts: 18281
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#5

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » October 1st, 2018, 7:37 pm

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls040537873/ Ranked

Some may be borderline. Just tell me if they don't count and I'll remove them.

For hidden gems I'd recommend this: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/viele+kamen+vorbei/






User avatar
Mario Gaborović
Posts: 2997
Joined: Apr 11, 2014
Location: Pančevo
Contact:

#11

Post by Mario Gaborović » October 1st, 2018, 10:22 pm

flaiky wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 10:03 pm
Meine Liste
Germania anno zero is 100% Italian film.

I wanna watch Armin Meiwes full interview, but there's no subs. Is there any chance I could download the video from YouTube, and then use some kind of player that translates words? I barely understand what he's saying, maybe 30% which is my knowledge of German.

Edit: Maybe this will do:

User avatar
flaiky
Posts: 1083
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: London UK
Contact:

#12

Post by flaiky » October 1st, 2018, 11:55 pm

Mario Gaborović wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 10:22 pm
flaiky wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 10:03 pm
Meine Liste
Germania anno zero is 100% Italian film.
Will it drive you mad if I tell you I decided not to include Paris Texas?
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats


User avatar
Mario Gaborović
Posts: 2997
Joined: Apr 11, 2014
Location: Pančevo
Contact:

#14

Post by Mario Gaborović » October 2nd, 2018, 12:14 am

flaiky wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 11:55 pm
Mario Gaborović wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 10:22 pm
flaiky wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 10:03 pm
Meine Liste
Germania anno zero is 100% Italian film.
Will it drive you mad if I tell you I decided not to include Paris Texas?
Nah, I don't like it either.

User avatar
outdoorcats
Posts: 622
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Contact:

#15

Post by outdoorcats » October 2nd, 2018, 4:24 am


[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

User avatar
beavis
Posts: 1653
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

#16

Post by beavis » October 2nd, 2018, 5:58 am

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/beav ... 60/beavis/

ranked

I wouldn't have thought a movie I saw this year already ending up in the all-time top3, but Drift is really that good!!
These are on the whole very strong times for German (arthouse) cinema.

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 2054
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#17

Post by Onderhond » October 2nd, 2018, 7:18 am

Did a search and the only eligible titles that came up were Isle of Dogs and Perfume. So yeah, no list from me.

User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 931
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#18

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » October 2nd, 2018, 8:44 am

Would it perhaps be better to title it in your OP as a poll of German-language films rather than a German one? Other countries are eligible after all, as long as the films nominated are in German.

Looking forward to putting together my list. I like it when one of these polls follows on from a previous month's challenge.
That's all, folks!

User avatar
Melvelet
Posts: 1981
Joined: Mar 29, 2013
Contact:

#19

Post by Melvelet » October 2nd, 2018, 8:57 am

Last edited by Melvelet on October 17th, 2018, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Melvelet
Posts: 1981
Joined: Mar 29, 2013
Contact:

#20

Post by Melvelet » October 2nd, 2018, 9:08 am

Are Michael Glawogger documentaries eligible?

User avatar
beavis
Posts: 1653
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

#21

Post by beavis » October 2nd, 2018, 9:17 am

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 8:44 am
Would it perhaps be better to title it in your OP as a poll of German-language films rather than a German one? Other countries are eligible after all, as long as the films nominated are in German.
I did not read the opening post that closely this morning!! so now I added another 10 movies to my list from Austria and Switzerland :)
Don't think I have any favorites in the German language from other countries... but it is kind of hard to check for me

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 7042
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#22

Post by Lonewolf2003 » October 2nd, 2018, 10:09 am

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 8:44 am
Would it perhaps be better to title it in your OP as a poll of German-language films rather than a German one? Other countries are eligible after all, as long as the films nominated are in German.

Looking forward to putting together my list. I like it when one of these polls follows on from a previous month's challenge.
I put it in brackets, cause the poll is not limited to German spoken movies only.


User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 931
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#24

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » October 2nd, 2018, 12:59 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 10:09 am
RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 8:44 am
Would it perhaps be better to title it in your OP as a poll of German-language films rather than a German one? Other countries are eligible after all, as long as the films nominated are in German.

Looking forward to putting together my list. I like it when one of these polls follows on from a previous month's challenge.
I put it in brackets, cause the poll is not limited to German spoken movies only.
Yes, of course. Cool to have as open a situation as possible as long as there is justification for inclusion.

:cheers:
That's all, folks!

User avatar
Gorro
Donator
Posts: 569
Joined: Aug 28, 2011
Contact:

#25

Post by Gorro » October 2nd, 2018, 1:05 pm

PSA: Most Swiss movies in German have "Swiss German" as language on IMDb.

User avatar
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Posts: 931
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Contact:

#26

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » October 2nd, 2018, 1:08 pm

beavis wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 9:17 am
RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 8:44 am
Would it perhaps be better to title it in your OP as a poll of German-language films rather than a German one? Other countries are eligible after all, as long as the films nominated are in German.
I did not read the opening post that closely this morning!! so now I added another 10 movies to my list from Austria and Switzerland :)
Don't think I have any favorites in the German language from other countries... but it is kind of hard to check for me
If you are on IMDb you can refine your ratings by language: https://www.imdb.com/search/title?defaults=1.

Great to see faves from Thiele, Schroeter and Fassbinder on your list!
That's all, folks!


User avatar
jvv
Donator
Posts: 8106
Joined: May 28, 2011
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#28

Post by jvv » October 2nd, 2018, 1:49 pm

Gorro wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 1:05 pm
PSA: Most Swiss movies in German have "Swiss German" as language on IMDb.
Thanks for the heads up. I had missed Der Goalie bin ig.

User avatar
peeptoad
Posts: 585
Joined: Feb 04, 2017
Location: Boston
Contact:

#29

Post by peeptoad » October 2nd, 2018, 4:39 pm

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls040540995/ ranked :cheers:

If Sennentuntschi (Swiss German) or Possession (came up under West Germany on IMDB) are DQed then I have replacements for them.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 26953
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#30

Post by joachimt » October 2nd, 2018, 5:04 pm

peeptoad wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 4:39 pm
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls040540995/ ranked :cheers:

If Sennentuntschi (Swiss German) or Possession (came up under West Germany on IMDB) are DQed then I have replacements for them.
The voters decide whether or not something is German. If enough people vote for it, it is German. I don't think the host is going to disqualify anything.

That said, I don't understand why you'd vote for Possession. Doesn't feel German at all to me. Don't just list anything that has a German country tag on IMDb. I started with selecting all those movies with such a tag, but I could remove at least a third of those. Lots of co-productions.

If you have two replacements that you feel are worthy enough for your vote, just for for them. I never understood why people cut their list to a certain number.

User avatar
beavis
Posts: 1653
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

#31

Post by beavis » October 2nd, 2018, 5:18 pm

RogerTheMovieManiac88 wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 1:08 pm
If you are on IMDb you can refine your ratings by language: https://www.imdb.com/search/title?defaults=1.

Great to see faves from Thiele, Schroeter and Fassbinder on your list!
The fact that I don't use Imdb is sometimes a small problem with these kind of things, but not a big problem ;)

and thanks!

User avatar
beavis
Posts: 1653
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

#32

Post by beavis » October 2nd, 2018, 5:22 pm

I also excluded some movies that came up in my database search (MM instead of imdb). Germany seems to me next to France to be one of the biggest co-financiers in world cinema
Some Swiss movies that felt more French than German. And major movies like Possession and Paris, Texas.... going for German language movies instead of German movies is actually an interesting angle that might solve these kind of confusions/questions in future polls...

User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 7042
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#33

Post by Lonewolf2003 » October 2nd, 2018, 5:37 pm

peeptoad wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 4:39 pm
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls040540995/ ranked :cheers:

If Sennentuntschi (Swiss German) or Possession (came up under West Germany on IMDB) are DQed then I have replacements for them.
Like said in the OP I don’t set strict rules to what is a “German” movie. So I won’t disqualify movies. (Unless they are tv-series, but even then I would start a discussion why it should be or not eligible)


User avatar
Lonewolf2003
Donator
Posts: 7042
Joined: Dec 29, 2012
Contact:

#35

Post by Lonewolf2003 » October 2nd, 2018, 5:46 pm

Melvelet wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 9:08 am
Are Michael Glawogger documentaries eligible?
I’m not familiar with him, so can’t say.


connordenney
Donator
Posts: 1975
Joined: Nov 03, 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Contact:

#37

Post by connordenney » October 2nd, 2018, 8:58 pm

joachimt wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 5:04 pm
peeptoad wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 4:39 pm
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls040540995/ ranked :cheers:

If Sennentuntschi (Swiss German) or Possession (came up under West Germany on IMDB) are DQed then I have replacements for them.
The voters decide whether or not something is German. If enough people vote for it, it is German. I don't think the host is going to disqualify anything.

That said, I don't understand why you'd vote for Possession. Doesn't feel German at all to me. Don't just list anything that has a German country tag on IMDb. I started with selecting all those movies with such a tag, but I could remove at least a third of those. Lots of co-productions.

If you have two replacements that you feel are worthy enough for your vote, just for for them. I never understood why people cut their list to a certain number.
For me, the fact that Possession is a German co-production, takes place in Berlin, and uses a few German actors is enough for me to count it, though I understand why others wouldn't.




Post Reply