Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Nominations: Midnight Saturday Mar 23rd)
Polls: Academy Awards (Mar 22nd), 1921 awards (Apr 3rd), Children (Apr 7th), 1932 (Apr 14th), DtC Voting (Apr 25th)
Challenges: French, War, Female Directors
World Cup: Deadline for monty and filmbantha (Mar 30th)
Film of the Week: Una pura formalità

Year-by-Year Polls: 1991

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
OldAle1
Donator

Re: Year-by-Year Polls: 1991

Post by OldAle1 » October 16th, 2018, 6:02 pm

insomnius wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 5:57 pm
FWIW, IMO the appeal of this poll, as opposed to every other poll on the forum, is the ability to just scroll through the thread and see everyone's list instead of just a bunch of links. I'd be sad to see that change, though I get that your suggestion would make it a lot easier on the pollmeister in charge.
An excellent point that I forgot to mention - and that sometimes encourages discussion, and can actually impact the poll results as it surely did this time - I know I watched Mburucuya in part because you promoted it and it just had an intriguing title. Of course people can look at links but...do they?

FYI the results thread is finally up.

insomnius

Post by insomnius » October 16th, 2018, 6:08 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 6:02 pm
insomnius wrote:
FWIW, IMO the appeal of this poll, as opposed to every other poll on the forum, is the ability to just scroll through the thread and see everyone's list instead of just a bunch of links. I'd be sad to see that change, though I get that your suggestion would make it a lot easier on the pollmeister in charge.
Of course people can look at links but...do they?
Well, I don't.

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » October 16th, 2018, 6:12 pm

insomnius wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 6:08 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
insomnius wrote:
Of course people can look at links but...do they?
Well, I don't.
I don't either. The best compromise is probably rank+title+imdb link in the post.
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 16th, 2018, 6:57 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
insomnius wrote:
An excellent point that I forgot to mention - and that sometimes encourages discussion, and can actually impact the poll results as it surely did this time - I know I watched Mburucuya in part because you promoted it and it just had an intriguing title. Of course people can look at links but...do they?

FYI the results thread is finally up.
If you don't want people to just post a list-link, you could go for option 2, so at least you get movie-urls, but let them use titles as well.
You could ask people to post it like this:
1. The Silence of the Lambs
2. Raise the Red Lantern
etc...

Personally, I dislike it that most people don't add links to their posts. It doesn't matter for the well known titles, but if I don't know a title I prefer to be able to click on it. When I have to copy paste a title myself and sometimes figure out the original title as well, I'm not really motivated to look at other peoples choices.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede » October 16th, 2018, 7:23 pm

insomnius wrote:
Yes, if it was done for the poll master I'd understand it, but OldAle isn't really on board (luckily). I fully agree with you. The quick and easy overview of concise lists is the best part of these polls, and usually even more interesting than the results. I often check personal lists for other polls as well, but the access is certainly heavily reduced and there is less of an incentive to see individual recommendations.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » October 16th, 2018, 8:44 pm

Seems like everyone missed my suggestion...
flaiky wrote:
October 14th, 2018, 8:38 pm
I guess we've hung on to it out of respect for the traditional format, in which everyone's ballot is out in the open. But we can always ask people to make a list and write out their ballot - with a maximum of 20 titles it won't take long to do both.
This is what I'm planning to encourage, assuming someone can help with a script or spreadsheet.

Those of us running the polls have always had slight differences in rules and presentation, so I think it's fine if we choose individually whether or not we change format. Even if it's inconsistent, and even if it's a bit annoying to make an IMDB/ICM list, I'm afraid that inconvenience comes second to the tedious effort of manually tally for days (with very little thanks at the end), so I think it's reasonable to ask participants to go along with this. The next poll I'm set to host is 2006, and I'm terrified of the amount of films that will likely be mentioned. I was already planning to ask about using the automating tool before it got mentioned here.
Last edited by flaiky on October 16th, 2018, 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » October 16th, 2018, 8:46 pm

I'm fine doing both. Making an ICM list is really easy nowadays and as the limit of 1/user is gone, there's really no reason not to do it.

flaiky

Post by flaiky » October 16th, 2018, 9:29 pm

Onderhond wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 8:46 pm
as the limit of 1/user is gone, there's really no reason not to do it.
Plus it can always be deleted as soon as the results are up.
Let the ashes fly

gromit82
Donator

Post by gromit82 » October 17th, 2018, 12:52 am

Since I'm planning to start the 1957 poll within the next week, I'm not going to switch to doing ICM/IMDb lists for that poll. I still need to learn how to work with those lists, and hopefully a script can be written that will accommodate the scoring system for our polls, but I don't think that's going to happen over the next week.

If anyone is willing to walk me through the process of downloading this and installing that, please send me a PM. I am willing to learn.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 17th, 2018, 6:09 am

gromit82 wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 12:52 am
Since I'm planning to start the 1957 poll within the next week, I'm not going to switch to doing ICM/IMDb lists for that poll. I still need to learn how to work with those lists, and hopefully a script can be written that will accommodate the scoring system for our polls, but I don't think that's going to happen over the next week.

If anyone is willing to walk me through the process of downloading this and installing that, please send me a PM. I am willing to learn.
And here is where I can help - If you can get me a clean spreadsheet where you have consistent titles, usernames, and ranks, I can do the calculations for you.

sol
Donator

Post by sol » October 17th, 2018, 11:42 am

joachimt wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 5:17 pm
2. Demand from voters that they include IMDb-urls in their submission. This doesn't mean they should create an IMDb-list, but just post the urls of the movies as well. That way you easily copy the urls to Excel and have some formula calculate the results.
I wonder how many participants would not end up doing this, even if it is demanded on them, since has never been a requirement in the past. And what do you with these ballots? Exclude them if participants do not update when told and include URLs?
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 17th, 2018, 7:23 pm

sol wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 11:42 am
joachimt wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 5:17 pm
2. Demand from voters that they include IMDb-urls in their submission. This doesn't mean they should create an IMDb-list, but just post the urls of the movies as well. That way you easily copy the urls to Excel and have some formula calculate the results.
I wonder how many participants would not end up doing this, even if it is demanded on them, since has never been a requirement in the past. And what do you with these ballots? Exclude them if participants do not update when told and include URLs?
It happens sometimes with other polls as well that someone posts only titles. He is then kindly asked to resubmit his list with IMDb-urls. Normally that user provides links after that requests. Otherwise, yes, exclude it.

It's not hard to collect IMDb-urls for one's own list, but it saves lots of time for the host. I think it's justified to demand that from voters.
ICM-profile

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » October 25th, 2018, 12:30 am

joachimt wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 4:45 am
You can ask mjf314 if he can change the filmcounter-script to this scoring system. If he's not willing to do that, I think I might be able to make a spreadsheet.
I would estimate that about 20-25% of the code would have to be rewritten (but I didn't attempt it, so I'm not sure). I don't have enough interest to do it myself, but I attached the code in case anyone else wants to modify it. Sorry for the lack of comments. Hopefully it won't be too hard to understand.

Another option would be to write a simple program that merges many files into one file, and then use a spreadsheet to calculate the results, because copy/pasting everything into one file is probably the most time-consuming step.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 25th, 2018, 6:41 am

I think the easiest way then would be to make a spreadsheet and ask people to post IMDb-movie-urls. Copy-pasting every submission once it is posted would be a lot less work than tallying everything manually.

I think I can make such a spreadsheet. Or maybe maxwell wants to do it?
ICM-profile

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 25th, 2018, 7:52 am

joachimt wrote:
October 25th, 2018, 6:41 am
I think the easiest way then would be to make a spreadsheet and ask people to post IMDb-movie-urls. Copy-pasting every submission once it is posted would be a lot less work than tallying everything manually.

yeah - this is the nerdy stuff I love doing. Happy to take a crack at it.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 25th, 2018, 5:22 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
October 25th, 2018, 7:52 am
joachimt wrote:

I knew you'd love it. :lol:
Not sure if people will use it though, but maybe they will understand how much time it will save, when they see your work.
ICM-profile

flaiky

Post by flaiky » October 25th, 2018, 5:30 pm

maxwelldeux wrote:
joachimt wrote:

If I'm imagining this correctly - we'd get all the film titles and the number of mentions, but then I'd still need to allocate all the points, right?

Hold on for a bit, I've asked on another thread if there's anyone willing to help with the script.

(Oh and thank you for the offer, very kind!)
Let the ashes fly

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 25th, 2018, 5:46 pm

flaiky wrote:
October 25th, 2018, 5:30 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:
joachimt wrote:

If I'm imagining this correctly - we'd get all the film titles and the number of mentions, but then I'd still need to allocate all the points, right?

Hold on for a bit, I've asked on another thread if there's anyone willing to help with the script.

You wouldn't have to allocate any points. Not sure how Max will do it, but if I would, I would have columns to paste the urls submitted by users. Above the column I would mention "ranked" or "unranked" and then the points will be either the average or 20-X where is X relies on the rownumber and the number of movies submitted. On another tab there will be a column of all submitted urls and the sum of all the points will automatically be calculated. Well, something like that...... I think I can do it, but I'm sure Max is better at this.
ICM-profile

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 25th, 2018, 9:23 pm

joachimt wrote:
October 25th, 2018, 5:46 pm
flaiky wrote:
October 25th, 2018, 5:30 pm
maxwelldeux wrote:

You wouldn't have to allocate any points. Not sure how Max will do it, but if I would, I would have columns to paste the urls submitted by users. Above the column I would mention "ranked" or "unranked" and then the points will be either the average or 20-X where is X relies on the rownumber and the number of movies submitted. On another tab there will be a column of all submitted urls and the sum of all the points will automatically be calculated. Well, something like that...... I think I can do it, but I'm sure Max is better at this.
Something like that - I'd have to go back and look at the scoring details, but I can come up with a way to make this significantly easier than it is now.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 26th, 2018, 2:09 am

OK. This is quick and dirty and not complete, but I wanted to get feedback on the inputs.

See the attached file - the host would input everything in the four yellow columns, everything else is calculated. Basically, host inputs the list submitter, IMDB tt code, Title*, and Rank**.

*Title: Not strictly necessary for scoring, but super helpful so as not to have to go back to IMDB to query the title of the film.
**Rank: Currently only built for ranked lists, but I'll fix that before anyone uses it for real.

My question is this: Is the input reasonable to ask of a host? If y'all are OK with this general format, I'll finish building this.

Year by Year Poll Template.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 26th, 2018, 6:42 am

Nobody will post tt-codes, so it will be annoying for the host to copy those into the spreadsheet. Would make more sense to use the full IMDb-link. The annoying thing with that is that some people post them with "reference" at the end of the link or something else. Other will exclude that, but maybe even exclude the last /.

So you can get:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083/reference
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083/combined
and probably some other I didn't think about.
Would be useful if the spreadsheet recognizes all of these as the same.

I would prefer the output to be the full link instead of only the tt-number. With full links you can easily put links in the results and it's easier to make an iCM-list out of it.

The problem with titles is that some people will post the original title, others will post the English title. The spreadsheet currently takes the first he sees. I just changed your vote for Cranes into "Letyat zhuravli" and the tally on the right shows that title now. So the way the title is shown in the results is the way the first person voted for it. Maybe not a big deal. If I would host such a poll, I would make an iCM-list before posting the results and I would extract the list from iCM and make a presentation with original and AKA title from that file.
ICM-profile

albajos

Post by albajos » October 26th, 2018, 6:51 am

www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083/reference
www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083
www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083/
www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083/combined
imdb.com/title/tt0050083/reference
imdb.com/title/tt0050083
imdb.com/title/tt0050083/
imdb.com/title/tt0050083/combined

There are more, but it's unnatural to copy paste them in that way

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 26th, 2018, 7:31 am

joachimt wrote:
October 26th, 2018, 6:42 am
Nobody will post tt-codes, so it will be annoying for the host to copy those into the spreadsheet. Would make more sense to use the full IMDb-link. The annoying thing with that is that some people post them with "reference" at the end of the link or something else. Other will exclude that, but maybe even exclude the last /.

Would be useful if the spreadsheet recognizes all of these as the same.
Fair point - let me see what I can do. tt-codes will be my fall back.
joachimt wrote:
I would prefer the output to be the full link instead of only the tt-number. With full links you can easily put links in the results and it's easier to make an iCM-list out of it.
Me too - converting tt-codes back to URLs is easy. Not worried about that.
joachimt wrote:
The problem with titles is that some people will post the original title, others will post the English title. The spreadsheet currently takes the first he sees. I just changed your vote for Cranes into "Letyat zhuravli" and the tally on the right shows that title now. So the way the title is shown in the results is the way the first person voted for it. Maybe not a big deal. If I would host such a poll, I would make an iCM-list before posting the results and I would extract the list from iCM and make a presentation with original and AKA title from that file.
Yep - that's exactly how it works. My eventual plan was to produce an easy copy/paste table formatted for board code here, and in that table the host could edit titles as desired.

Thanks for the feedback!

@others: Keep it coming - I'd love to hear it.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 26th, 2018, 7:41 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
October 26th, 2018, 7:31 am
joachimt wrote:
Easy for you or me, not for everyone.
ICM-profile

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 26th, 2018, 7:43 am

After the first setup is done, you might look at the stats most of the hosts provide, to see how you can easily extract that.
ICM-profile

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 26th, 2018, 7:54 am

joachimt wrote:
October 26th, 2018, 7:41 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
October 26th, 2018, 7:31 am
joachimt wrote:
Easy for you or me, not for everyone.
True - that's why I was going to generate them for the host... ;)

Also, I figured out the surprisingly (to me) easy way to extract the tt-code from the URL. So I'll modify the spreadsheet accordingly and repost. (PS - this is why I like doing stuff like this - it improves my Excel skills)

And RE: stats - am planning on it - just wanted to get inputs correct before setting up all those.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 26th, 2018, 7:57 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
October 26th, 2018, 7:54 am
Also, I figured out the surprisingly (to me) easy way to extract the tt-code from the URL.
How do you do that? I often want to do that as well.
ICM-profile

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » October 26th, 2018, 8:09 am

joachimt wrote:
October 26th, 2018, 7:57 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
October 26th, 2018, 7:54 am
Also, I figured out the surprisingly (to me) easy way to extract the tt-code from the URL.
How do you do that? I often want to do that as well.
Cell A1 has the IMDB URL.

Cell B1 has this formula: =FIND("/tt",A1) That tells you which place the "/" right before the tt-code occurs.

Cell C1 has the formula: =MID(A1,B1+1,9) That grabs the tt-code from the URL, A1 = the URL, the B1+1 part tells you where the tt-code starts, and the 9 is because tt-codes are 9 characters long, including the "tt" (right? can someone confirm that?)

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 26th, 2018, 8:58 am

I think the number is indeed always 9 characters long, but I'm not 100% sure.

You could also put your formula in one cell instead of two:
=MID(A1,FIND("/tt",A1)+1,9)
ICM-profile

albajos

Post by albajos » October 26th, 2018, 9:03 am

Yes, with 9 characters they can fit 10 million titles, so it should be enough for a while.
But they are already at 9 million now, so it will probably expand to 10 characters (or some other system) in a few years.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0000001/reference (first)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9184810/reference (currently last)

tj3

Post by tj3 » October 26th, 2018, 10:16 am

1. Thelma & Louise
2. Jungle Fever
3. Boyz N the Hood
4. Barton Fink
5. Point Break

tj3

Post by tj3 » October 26th, 2018, 10:24 am

Sorry, I think this is closed even though it doesn't say CLOSED on thread title. Please ignore. I don't think I can delete.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 26th, 2018, 11:03 am

tj3 wrote:
October 26th, 2018, 10:24 am
Sorry, I think this is closed even though it doesn't say CLOSED on thread title. Please ignore. I don't think I can delete.
Closed indeed. Results are here.
ICM-profile

tj3

Post by tj3 » October 27th, 2018, 10:27 am

Thanks!