Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 5 released June 2nd)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1935 (Results), 1966 awards (Jun 9th), 2010s (Jun 30th)
Challenges: TSPDT, 1960s, China/Hong Kong/Taiwan
Film of the Week: Údolí vcel, July nominations (Jun 26th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A: Poland vs Mexico (Jun 4th), Match 2B: Tajikistan vs Italy (Jun 14th)

iCM Forum's Favourite Films of the 1950s

500<400, Favourite 1001 movies, Doubling the Canon, Film World Cup and many other votes
User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 20169
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

iCM Forum's Favourite Films of the 1950s

#1

Post by Pretentious Hipster » September 17th, 2014, 6:36 am

iCM Forum's Favourite Films of the 1950s

Image

Submit your favorite films of the 1950s. Only one rule applies here. The film must have been made during that decade. Other than that, anything else goes. There are no limits to list length either, and they can be either iCM or IMDb lists.

I guess the due date should be in debate. I'd rather make it at the beginning of the month so that all of our future polls will start then rather than the middle, it helps for challenges as well. And I know for a fact that quite a few are going to only care about horror films when October starts. Right now I'm thinking Monday the 5th at 4 PM EST. Not going to make it due Friday-Sunday because I won't have time to even look at the results until Monday.
57 ParticipantsShow
1859 (unranked) https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/favs ... orum/1859/
1SO http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077174084/
afirm http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077302108/
Ali_Solaris https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/favo ... i_solaris/
ArthurYanthar http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075432978
bal3x http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075422512/
bathkuyp http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075438980/
beavis http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077326902/
brokenface http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077743456/
Carmel98 http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075421764/
ChrisReynolds http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075908491/
cinephage http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075468538/
CMT http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077740194/
davidsietsma http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077714375/
Dolwphin http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075883777/
Dude Lanez http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075915128/
Enigma http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075839633
Fergenaprido http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075177264/
fkaymak http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075955799/
frbrown http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075957852/
Gershwin https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/favo ... /gershwin/
HVM http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077663189/
Jay Mars https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/favo ... /jay+mars/
jeff_v http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075424391/
joachimt http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075909935/
jvv http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075438339
kingink http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077749016/
Leopardi http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077148266/
Lilarcor https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/1950s+favs/lilarcor/
lisagirl http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070849600/
Lonewolf2003 http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077129316
Magenta Bob http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077712851/
mathiasa https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/best ... /mathiasa/
Melvelet http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075460563/
metaller http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077664810/
mightysparks http://www.imdb.com/list/ls055989121/
mjf314 http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077160961/
Odradek http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077326119/
PeacefulAnarchy http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070844586/
Perception de Ambiguity http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075434750/
perceval http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070177841/
pitn http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075938700/
Rad82 http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077505541/
RFNAPLES http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075951641/
sebby http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075423919/
SkilledLunatic http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077139316/
St. Gloede http://www.imdb.com/list/ls000004694/
Tasselfoot https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/tass ... asselfoot/
timmy_501 http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077342290/
tirefeet www.imdb.com/list/ls075466241/
tomelce https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/favo ... s/tomelce/
tommy_leazaq http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077619103/
toro913 http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075964135/
TraverseTown http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077719909/
Wonderful Rainbow http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075423901/
zomgmouse (unranked) http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077532398/
zuma https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/50+f ... +50s/zuma/
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on October 6th, 2014, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.


User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 20169
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#3

Post by Pretentious Hipster » September 17th, 2014, 7:15 am

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075432978

My highest rated decade and it shows.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

Rad82
Posts: 643
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
Location: Dark City
Contact:

#4

Post by Rad82 » September 17th, 2014, 7:53 am

Ok this is a REALLY nice decade, some of my favs that I truly can't recommend enough are probably:

Alain Resnais's "Night and Fog" (short)
Clouzot's "Wages of Fear & Les Diaboliques"
Akira Kurosawa's "Rashomon, Ikiru & 7 Samurai"
Fritz Lang's "Big Heat"
Alfred Hitchcock's "Strangers on a train & Dial M for Murder"
Stanley Kubrick's "Paths of Glory & The Killing"
Mizoguchi's "Sansho the Bailiff"
Sydney Lumet's "12 Angry Men"
Dassin's "Rififi"
Bresson's "A Man Escaped"

Damn it, so many to choose from. :) And it's high time I watched more Bresson films. xD

This is a difficult month for me in terms of free time, but I hope I'll manage to post at least a small list till the end of the deadline.

PS : I guess we are lucky some of you people have the time to host these polls such as Arthur here. Cheers!
Last edited by Rad82 on September 29th, 2014, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 30477
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#5

Post by mightysparks » September 17th, 2014, 7:53 am

"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
jvv
Donator
Posts: 8607
Joined: May 28, 2011
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#6

Post by jvv » September 17th, 2014, 8:14 am

Great decade, but so hard to rank.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075438339

User avatar
Melvelet
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mar 29, 2013
Contact:

#7

Post by Melvelet » September 17th, 2014, 8:15 am

Current recommendation: -


ImageImage


Current focus: 1974, 1960s

tirefeet
Posts: 1612
Joined: Nov 28, 2012
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Contact:

#8

Post by tirefeet » September 17th, 2014, 10:38 am

Last edited by tirefeet on September 17th, 2014, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
te18
Posts: 1512
Joined: Sep 10, 2013
Location: Merry Old England
Contact:

#9

Post by te18 » September 17th, 2014, 11:50 am


User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 10747
Joined: May 06, 2011
Contact:

#10

Post by St. Gloede » September 17th, 2014, 11:51 am

Great timing, been meaning to focus more on the 50s again. The deadline should at least be next month, possibly even later. That way we can have a lot of discussions/recommendations.

Btw, really great list Melvelet. Loved next to everything on it, and absolutely every single film there is at least a 6/10. Only film I haven't seen is Ankoku no ryoken. Too bad, would have loved more recs.

I have an outdated top 30 myself, will work on it and get it to 100 soon.

User avatar
Melvelet
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mar 29, 2013
Contact:

#11

Post by Melvelet » September 17th, 2014, 12:22 pm

St. Gloede on Sep 17 2014, 05:51:15 AM wrote:Great timing, been meaning to focus more on the 50s again. The deadline should at least be next month, possibly even later. That way we can have a lot of discussions/recommendations.

Btw, really great list Melvelet. Loved next to everything on it, and absolutely every single film there is at least a 6/10. Only film I haven't seen is Ankoku no ryoken. Too bad, would have loved more recs.

I have an outdated top 30 myself, will work on it and get it to 100 soon.
Hehe, yeah, you're probably one of the ppl around here whose taste comes closest to mine (and indeed your <400 list inspired several of my viewings lately).

It's probably a bit redundant to inlcude Ankoku no ryoken. It has no subs around the Internet. I've seen it in a retrospective. Let's hope all those Suzuki film (or even better all those Nikkatsu noirs) will get subbed one day :)

You could join the 1950s challenge. I hope to watch a few more in the coming weeks myself (won't be easy with the new 500<400 list though)
Early Japanese New Wave film Punishment Room has just got subbed. Haven't seen it yet but you might be interested as well.
Last edited by Melvelet on September 17th, 2014, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current recommendation: -


ImageImage


Current focus: 1974, 1960s

User avatar
bathkuyp
Posts: 80
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Contact:

#12

Post by bathkuyp » September 17th, 2014, 12:41 pm

Great Scott, the 50s. I've really tried, but I can't come up with a top 50. Then again, there's no limit so I give you my top 80: Favourite Movies of the 1950s.

User avatar
St. Gloede
Moderator
Posts: 10747
Joined: May 06, 2011
Contact:

#13

Post by St. Gloede » September 17th, 2014, 1:56 pm

Melvelet on Sep 17 2014, 06:22:48 AM wrote:
St. Gloede on Sep 17 2014, 05:51:15 AM wrote:Great timing, been meaning to focus more on the 50s again. The deadline should at least be next month, possibly even later. That way we can have a lot of discussions/recommendations.

Btw, really great list Melvelet. Loved next to everything on it, and absolutely every single film there is at least a 6/10. Only film I haven't seen is Ankoku no ryoken. Too bad, would have loved more recs.

I have an outdated top 30 myself, will work on it and get it to 100 soon.
Hehe, yeah, you're probably one of the ppl around here whose taste comes closest to mine (and indeed your <400 list inspired several of my viewings lately).

It's probably a bit redundant to inlcude Ankoku no ryoken. It has no subs around the Internet. I've seen it in a retrospective. Let's hope all those Suzuki film (or even better all those Nikkatsu noirs) will get subbed one day :)

You could join the 1950s challenge. I hope to watch a few more in the coming weeks myself (won't be easy with the new 500<400 list though)
Early Japanese New Wave film Punishment Room has just got subbed. Haven't seen it yet but you might be interested as well.
That's awesome. I'll try to join the challenge. :thumbsup:

Carmel1379
Donator
Posts: 4498
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Contact:

#14

Post by Carmel1379 » September 17th, 2014, 2:32 pm

t o B e c o n t i n u e d





User avatar
zuma
Donator
Posts: 2076
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

#19

Post by zuma » September 17th, 2014, 5:48 pm




User avatar
Dolwphin
Posts: 4327
Joined: Jul 10, 2011
Location: Sweden
Contact:

#22

Post by Dolwphin » September 17th, 2014, 11:29 pm

Is there a previous list?
Top 250 | RYM | Letterboxd

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

User avatar
Torgo
Posts: 1291
Joined: Jun 30, 2011
Location: Germany
Contact:

#23

Post by Torgo » September 18th, 2014, 1:49 am

Truly a great decade. I liked the comment CoffinDancr did under the IMDb Top 50 very much:
Amazing decade for movies. Kurosawa, Hitchcock, and Wilder in their primes, Hawkes, Welles, and Ford leaving theirs, and Truffaut, Kubrick, and Bergman getting warmed up.
.. and that's just the tip of the iceberg :)


User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 31501
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#25

Post by joachimt » September 18th, 2014, 7:02 pm

I voted for Ivan the terrible part 2 in the 40's poll (if I remember correctly). Can I vote for it again?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 31501
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#26

Post by joachimt » September 18th, 2014, 7:10 pm

Anyway, here is my list:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075909935/

196 titles, all ratings 8, 9 and 10.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
ChrisReynolds
Donator
Posts: 2558
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact:

#27

Post by ChrisReynolds » September 18th, 2014, 7:37 pm

Here's my list:

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075908491/ (ranked)

tirefeet
Posts: 1612
Joined: Nov 28, 2012
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Contact:

#28

Post by tirefeet » September 18th, 2014, 7:48 pm

Torgo on Sep 17 2014, 07:49:40 PM wrote:
Amazing decade for movies. Kurosawa, Hitchcock, and Wilder in their primes, Hawkes, Welles, and Ford leaving theirs, and Truffaut, Kubrick, and Bergman getting warmed up.
Respectfully disagree about Bergman. I think he made two of his best three films in this decade, actually in the same year. So it can be said he peaked during the latter half of fifties.


tommy_leazaq
Donator
Posts: 3548
Joined: May 18, 2011
Location: Chennai, India
Contact:

#30

Post by tommy_leazaq » September 19th, 2014, 4:34 am

My most favorite decade.

And, I know Arthur is great at gifs, but in one of the earlier polls (guess its French Poll) we had Movie Posters instead of Screenshots while posting the results and it was great.It'd be great if we have the same here also.. I love Vintage movie posters and 1950s would be great decade for it with many noirs, westerns, horrors, sci-fis, B-movies..

RFNAPLES
Posts: 72
Joined: Jun 12, 2011
Location: Durham, NC, USA
Contact:

#31

Post by RFNAPLES » September 19th, 2014, 5:02 am

Here's my RFNAPLES 1950s Movies, a ranked list of 97 titles.


User avatar
pitn
Posts: 114
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Location: Belgium
Contact:

#33

Post by pitn » September 19th, 2014, 8:06 pm

Still some reordering to do and some movies to watch, but for now, here is my list http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075938700/

RFNAPLES
Posts: 72
Joined: Jun 12, 2011
Location: Durham, NC, USA
Contact:

#34

Post by RFNAPLES » September 20th, 2014, 3:03 am

ArthurYanthar on Sep 17 2014, 12:36:49 AM wrote:iCM Forum's Favourite Films of the 1950s

Image

Submit your favorite films of the 1950s. Only one rule applies here. The film must have been made during that decade. Other than that, anything else goes. There are no limits to list length either, and they can be either iCM or IMDb lists.

I guess the due date should be in debate. I'd rather make it at the beginning of the month so that all of our future polls will start then rather than the middle, it helps for challenges as well. And I know for a fact that quite a few are going to only care about horror films when October starts. Right now I'm thinking Monday the 5th at 4 PM EST. Not going to make it due Friday-Sunday because I won't have time to even look at the results until Monday.
Is that "made during that decade" or released during the decade?


User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 24706
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#36

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » September 20th, 2014, 4:04 am

RFNAPLES on Sep 19 2014, 09:03:06 PM wrote:Is that "made during that decade" or released during the decade?
Released, since we're using imdb dates.


User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7110
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#38

Post by Gershwin » September 22nd, 2014, 11:43 am

Art, could I submit a partly ranked list, or would that be too much of a bother for calculating the results?
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

User avatar
Pretentious Hipster
Donator
Posts: 20169
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#39

Post by Pretentious Hipster » September 22nd, 2014, 11:52 am

Gershwin on Sep 22 2014, 05:43:41 AM wrote:Art, could I submit a partly ranked list, or would that be too much of a bother for calculating the results?
I'd rather you didn't but if you insist then it's ok.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7110
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#40

Post by Gershwin » September 22nd, 2014, 1:25 pm

ArthurYanthar on Sep 22 2014, 05:52:24 AM wrote:
Gershwin on Sep 22 2014, 05:43:41 AM wrote:Art, could I submit a partly ranked list, or would that be too much of a bother for calculating the results?
I'd rather you didn't but if you insist then it's ok.
I'll try to rank it, but I've now got a list with 75 favourite films and shorts, and another list with 75 great, but not favourite feature films. I'm not sure it will be easy to rank these, but we'll see. :)
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

Post Reply